Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 16:18   #526
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

I would be travelling from Kolkata -Varanasi-Gwalior-Agra-Varanasi-Kolkata during the Christmas week in December. For the onward journey it would be extremely helpful if anyone guides me with the following:

1) Any hotel 3k-4k range near the NH19 (NH2) before, in or just after Varanasi other than Kaimur Vihar while going from Kolkata. If there is no better option then I would be staying within the city.
2) What would be the best route to go to Gwalior the next day if I leave at 5:30 - 6 am in the morning depending upon the fog condition? Will it be through NH19 through Kanpur or take the Machhali Shahar route? A pointwise route would be really appreciated.
3) Any decent dhaba/food joint on the route to Gwalior from Varanasi for breakfast

I would be travelling with my family.

Last edited by subhojitb : 24th October 2018 at 16:20.
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:17   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The 36th and 37th one-way trips happened in April 2016...
...and the 38th and 39th trips happened on 7-8 January 2017 and 15-16 January 2017.
The 40th one-way trip was...
Quote:
Back on the road, driving from Kolkata to Delhi, in a Thar this Monday-Tuesday (20-21 August).
...and the 41st trip was on 17-18 November 2018, driving a Duster RxL 85ps from Delhi to Kolkata.

Given the experience of terrible roads and traffic between Handia (the eastern end of Allahabad bypass) to the UP-BR border, I planned to travel such that I would cross this section past midnight, to avoid all local traffic. So we left at ~3:30 pm from Delhi.

It was generally smooth driving all through till the beginning (western end) of the Allahabad bypass - but more about that later.

Using the Yamuna Expressway, Agra Ring Road and part of the Agra-Lucknow Expressway, we exited a little short of Etawah (at KM76 on the ALE - toll Rs.165), and connected to the NH19, to reach the Kanpur flyover in approximately 6 hours. From there on it was again a slightly slower but smooth drive to the toll gate at the western end of the Allahabad bypass.

This is where we got held up in traffic for nearly half an hour, with trucks parked haphazardly and only two operational toll gates. Once through, we exited at Handia easily, and managed to get past the numerous diversions (I lost count after 26) to reach the Ganga bridge - where we were held up for another one hour.

The next bottleneck was at the UP-BR border inside UP, where we were lucky to follow a local vehicle and drive on the opposite carriageway, and escape the jam in 10-15 minutes.

Faced another jam around Sasaram due to a truck crash, where we had to jump the divider and managed to reach clear highway without too much trouble.

The speed limit and speedcam scare being prevalent in WB, the top speed was limited to 70-80 kmph, and the car managed to deliver 22.6kmpl (whereas over the previous parts of the drive it returned about 17kmpl).

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img20181118-2.jpg

The overall driving statistics (Geo Tracker app on Android):

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img20181118.jpg

Part of the stoppage time was due to the fact that we met up with DBHPian Samba, his parents and his new Duster AWD (Renault Duster AWD : An owner's point of view) at the Azad Hind Dhaba Gopalpur, and spent a long while chatting over coffee. (PC: Samba)

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_9626.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd November 2018 at 13:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 10:39   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 40th one-way trip was...

...and the 41st trip was on 17-18 November 2018, driving a Duster RxL 85ps from Delhi to Kolkata.
I am tempted to drive down from Gurgaon to Kolkata after Christmas :-)

Should I go by the Google Maps recommended route? If not, which route should I take? Hope to do non-stop. How many hours, catering for occasional mist?
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:44   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am tempted to drive down from Gurgaon to Kolkata after Christmas :-)

Should I go by the Google Maps recommended route? If not, which route should I take? Hope to do non-stop. How many hours, catering for occasional mist?
Google Maps is generally accurate, but I don't remember having used GMaps on this route, except for short whiles to check traffic condition.

Fog and poor visibility is certainly a problem in end-December / January, more so in the western part of the route. Very unpredictable. However, given that the initial 500 km outbound from Delhi is on the well-marked YEW and ALE (and NH19 in great condition from Etawah to Kanpur), quicker progress is possible even in poor visibility, especially late at night when maniacal drivers are all asleep. But then you are on the Handia-to-UP-BR-border in daytime, so the chances of jams are high (can increase travel time by 3 hours on an average).

Including traffic holdups, my usual expectation for the trip is 22-24 hours. That's if I plan to cross the stretch from Handia onwards past midnight.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 18:11   #530

Hi SS & Veterans,
I am driving to Kolkata from Noida on the 29th of December. Stopover at Varanasi and then continue on 30th December to Kolkata. Apart from the unpredictable fog, is there anything else I should be worried about?
Old 24th December 2018, 22:07   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbis View Post
Hi SS & Veterans,
I am driving to Kolkata from Noida on the 29th of December. Stopover at Varanasi and then continue on 30th December to Kolkata. Apart from the unpredictable fog, is there anything else I should be worried about?
The fog, and the stretch between Handia and the UP-BR border, with its innumerable diversions and humongous traffic jams. Also, the speed limit of 80 kmph throughout the WB stretch, with weird 40/30 kmph zones, and the radar traps therein.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 20:42   #532
BHPian

Concluded a Kolkata to Mathura round trip. Actually the outward trip was Kolkata to Orchaa on 24th and 25th Dec. Left Kolkata on 24th at 7 PM and reached Orchha at 2:30 PM on 25th. Took the Kanpur - Jhansi route to reach Orchha. Next visited Khajuraho, and did the Khajuraho - Mathura leg on 28th Dec. Left Mathura at 10:15 AM on 30th Dec and reached back home at 8:30 AM on 31st Dec. Was pleasantly surprised by the excellent roads in interior UP and MP !

Did not encounter any fog , seems that heavy fog is yet to set in! Speed limit on YEW is set at 75 kmph now , all signs on the route have been changed to 75kmph. However no one seems to be following it as visibility was for miles around ! Speed limit on the Agra Lucknow Expressway is still at 100 kmph.

Except for the countless diversions between the Sasaram to Handia stretch , rest is quite ok. Between Varanasi to Handia , there seems to be a diversion every kilometer or so Going by the pace of work on this stretch , it will be a year or more by the time it gets to smooth sailing in this zone.

Given that there was no fog , night driving was actually much faster and hassle free.
DriveTrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 15:11   #533
BHPian

I have a plan to travel from Kolkata to Kanpur IIT mid-February' 2019.
My Plan:
Will be starting on Friday'15th Feb, around 3:00 PM.
Expect to cross Sasaram by 02:00 AM (575 km 11 hrs with a dinner break)
Cross Handia (200 Km from Sasaram) in another 4.5 hrs i.e. 6:30 AM.
Take 1-hour break (morning call and breakfast).
Reach Kanpur IIT in another 5 hrs (260 Km) By 1:00 PM.

@SS-Traveller and others: Is it doable. will my plan work.

What is the time lastest by which I should cross this Sasaram -- Handia stretch?
Old 15th January 2019, 22:59   #534

We did Noida-Kolkata-Noida in July 2017, for both sides stopped only for food, toll and diesel. Attended a family wedding at Kolkata. Did this with 1yr old Scorpio.

For @NomadicLife, I would suggest to start at 4 am from Kolkata. Sun rise at Kolkata in Feb will be like 6 am. Kanpur is approx 1000 km, and you can reach by evening. You need to see the awesome beauty of green hilly areas of Jharkhand on the way, plus overall enjoy the journey by seeing the nature.

Overnight drive in that stretch can be avoided. Few patches of that route could be very lonely in night. Plus 2 am to 5 am is the time window that is best avoided. Most difficult time to stay awake and alert for most. Danger is other sleepy drivers on road.

Also would like to know how @Spanbis enjoyed the trip.
drivetoseeindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 05:46   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the speed limit of 80 kmph throughout the WB stretch, with weird 40/30 kmph zones, and the radar traps therein.

Hello SS-Traveller,

I posted my queries on the Delhi to Darjeeling/Sikkim thread. DBHPian Blackpearl wrote that you did this trip recently, so posting my queries here.

I am planning a road trip from Delhi to Darjeeling later this year (September). I assume Delhi to Darjeeling can be done in 3 days. Need suggestions on the following:
  • Route.
  • Road conditions all along.
  • Ideal places (Varanasi, Siliguri??) to stop for the night.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 07:49   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I am planning a road trip from Delhi to Darjeeling later this year (September). I assume Delhi to Darjeeling can be done in 3 days. Need suggestions on the following:
  • Route.
  • Road conditions all along.
  • Ideal places (Varanasi, Siliguri??) to stop for the night.
Are you planning to take the NH19 for Darjeeling? I feel the better route would be talking Yamuna Expressway- Agra Lucknow Expressway till Lucknow and then hopping on to the NH27 (old NH28) and continue via Gorakhpur-Muzaffarpur-Darbhanga-Purnea to Siliguri. Ghaziabad/Noida to Muzaffarpur is a same day affair. Then Muzaffarpur to Darjeeling is one day.

You can go through this thread and also check with Sheel. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nh2-71b-4.html (Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B))
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:09   #537
BHPian

Dear SSda, we are all looking forward for your tlog on your recent Del Kol Del trip in your new ride.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 19:51   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Dear SSda, we are all looking forward for your tlog on your recent Del Kol Del trip in your new ride.
Thank you, ALTIMAed. The travelogue is up at this link (Ciazzler® Roadtrip | 4700 km, a wedding (Kolkata) and forests (Jaldapara & Gorumara)).

Though we did a round trip this time, technically this would be my 42nd trip on the NH19, and not a 43rd too - since we took the NH27 to return to Delhi (the common overlap being part of the ALE and the full length of YEW.

Quoting parts of the journey from the other thread, for a description of the road and traffic condition we faced...
Quote:
The route, dates and times:
Delhi - Manesar - Western Peripheral Expressway - Yamuna Expressway - Agra-Lucknow Expressway - Etawah - NH19 - Kolkata
Departure 8 pm on 3rd March, arrival 11 pm on 4th March.
Chalsa - Coronation Bridge - Siliguri - NH27 - Purnea - Muzaffarpur - Gorakhpur - Lucknow - ALE - YEW - Delhi
Departure 8 am on 15th March, arrival 10 am on 16th March.

...to Manesar, and then a left turn on to the Western Peripheral Expressway, where, sadly, they don't accept Fastag payments yet.

At Hodal, we turned off the WPE towards Palwal on NH19, and turned right again to take the road to Aligarh for some 30 km (of which about 10 km was tough for a sedan). Here, we connected to the Yamuna Expressway. The rest of the journey to Kolkata was routine for us, with the added happiness of some really empty roads between Allahabad (Prayagraj) bypass and Benaras.

4th March was Maha Shivratri, the last day of the Kumbh Mela at Prayagraj, and all truck traffic was being diverted north from Fatehpur, away from Prayagraj, even as a multitude of passenger vehicles of all sizes headed towards the city for the last snan of the Ardh Kumbh. Mercifully, therefore, the eastbound lane from Prayagraj to Benaras was absolutely devoid of traffic, and we raced through to reach the Ganga Bridge at Benaras (only to be held up there for almost an hour).
Quote:
I guess the NH2 (NH19) thread has inspired many hundreds (if not thousands) of BHPian trips over the years, and I am glad the thread has been of help to everybody.
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Quote:
On a different note, how did you manage “Western Peripheral Expressway - Yamuna Expressway” section? EPE-JEW connection is open now? Or you have taken the route via Palwal ?
I'd already explained the route earlier...

This is the route we followed: https://goo.gl/maps/AhyuwW4e5zVRXPYd9

The point at which the Aligarh-bound road connects to the YEW does not have a toll gate, so when we drove up to the Mathura toll gate on YEW, the person at the counter asked us where we came from. I told him via the Aligarh road, so he asked me to pay a toll of Rs.285 till Agra (instead of Rs.415 that one would pay for the full length from Greater Noida to Agra).
Also happy to report that ALE now accepts Fastag as toll payment. We had to pay cash on the outward journey (ALE from Agra to Etawah), and we were told that the Fastag system whould be operational in another few days.

We did get Fastag facility from Lucknow to Agra on the way back. The system took Rs.585, though my balance was less (which I realized later on), and I had a debit balance of about Rs.395 which was adjusted subsequently when I topped up at home 2 days later. This is an HDFC Bank Fastag.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 20:29   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Flew in but drove back.

This is probably the worst state of at least 50% of the road that I've seen in many years, both surface-wise as well as bottlenecks-wise. One would have thought things would get better over the years, but sadly, it is much much worse than just 1-2 years ago. But I suppose the NHAI doesn't read Team-BHP, and even if they do, they couldn't be bothered with stopping toll collection despite the terrible state of the road.
I travelled this route last in April 2018. It did not look this bad then. I must say things have deteriorated pretty fast. I am travelling again with my three years old next week and I must confess, am getting worried about the situation of traffic on this stretch. Do you have any suggestion regarding a duration that would be best to cross this particular stretch? The issue is am taking my Honda City so I won't have the privilege of crossing dividers if I get stuck in jam.

Or should I go Delhi - Lucknow - Raibareilly - Varanasi - Dehri stretch and completely avoid NH-19 for this stretch?
evilminstrel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 18:01   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
The issue is am taking my Honda City so I won't have the privilege of crossing dividers if I get stuck in jam.

Or should I go Delhi - Lucknow - Raibareilly - Varanasi - Dehri stretch and completely avoid NH-19 for this stretch?
Delhi-YEW-ALE-Lucknow-Sultanpur-Badlapur-Jaunpur-Benaras is the other shortest option, about 25 km longer than the usual route via Etawah-Kanpur-Prayagraj bypass-Benaras. I know that the Lucknow-Sultanpur section is smooth dual carriageway and tolled, but I haven't driven the rest of the way - though, I hear there is roadworks in progress on this section too, traffic is slow (but not totally jammed up) and the road is undivided, and the time taken is perhaps half an hour more than doing the Agra-Etawah-Kanpur-Prayagraj-Benaras route on a good day without the jams in the Handia-Benaras section.

OTOH, I wouldn't venture into the Sultanpur-Jaunpur-Benaras section in the night, but would happily do so between Kanpur and Benaras on the NH19.

So the situation is a little equivocal, and the choice of route will depend on what Google Maps says about the traffic, as well as the time of day. Lucknow traffic can be pretty bad too in the morning & afternoon during office hours. Your route decision would be best taken just before entering the ALE from the Agra end.

I've taken my Ciaz on the NH19, and I understand your statement about not having "the privilege of crossing dividers"!

BTW, what is the date of travel for your Delhi-Kolkata trip?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 31st May 2019 at 18:07.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks