Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 00:41   #406
BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Anyone planning Delhi to Kolkata during the Pujas?
Was thinking about it...flights are too expensive.
Old 10th September 2016, 22:35   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Anyone planning Delhi to Kolkata during the Pujas?
Was thinking about it...flights are too expensive.
I may be making it, starting on Friday (Shasthi).
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 15:21   #408

I am starting from Dwarka, Delhi on 6th Oct, late evening. As we do it during our onwards journey, we are targeting to reach Burdwan by (my in-laws' place) next day evening. Burdwan to Konnagar is planned on 8th morning. It will be great to find another team-bhp-ian on the same road during the same time.
Sakshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:01   #409
BHPian

Am too starting on 6th oct. it will be great to find to find so many fellow bhpians on the same road.
What are the return dates you guys looking at.

We should consider to sync travel if we all are leaving on 6th. will be a more enjoyable journey.

Last edited by krazydriver84 : 22nd September 2016 at 11:06.
Old 22nd September 2016, 13:52   #410
BHPian

Thanks guys...
I finally dropped the idea.
I would probably be in Kerala that week. Bought tickets for wife and son earlier - checking out options from Kochi on the 7h.
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:53   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone planning Delhi to Kolkata...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
I may be making it, starting on Friday (Shasthi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakshar View Post
I am starting from Dwarka, Delhi on 6th Oct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Am too starting on 6th oct.
It is really heartening and fulfilling to note how many folks are planning the 1500-km drive between the two cities nowadays. In fact, I am even more thrilled to learn that, quite frequently, many are putting in non-stop drives between the cities, without an overnight break. My guess is that the movie Piku has played a big role in popularizing this road, as much as the 3 Idiots movie has served to popularize Ladakh.

The changes to this road are equally amazing to note:
- divided road with 4-laning completed sometime in end-2005;
- concrete surfacing through BR and JH around that time, making it one of the most pleasurable stretches to drive on;
- the Allahabad bypass, which became operational in 2010, with toll not being collected till 2012;
- the Yamuna Expressway opened in 2012, reducing driving time between Delhi and Agra to almost half;
- 6-laning between Etawah and Kanpur completed in 2015, with multiple flyovers to avoid the traffic through various towns;
- ongoing flyover construction work in the section through WB and a part of JH has made the journey through this stretch of about 300 km horrific at the present time;
- total driving time hasn't changed radically - about 22-24 hours is the total time still required (with stops), depending on one's luck and the time of year. My hopes of this road being a comfortable under-20-hour drive still remain just that, though a few have claimed to have done the trip in 17 hours or less;
- the toll for the entire road, however, has climbed from a little under Rs.700 each way when this thread was written in 2009, to almost Rs.2000 each way today.

On my wishlist for this road:
- completion of the roadworks in the section through JH and WB;
- widening & flyovers / bypasses between Agra and Etawah, and between Allahabad & Varanasi;
- better surfacing all through, especially in the section between Allahabad and the UP-BR border.

The day I can complete the trip in under 20 hours without facing risky situations and driving at unsafe speeds, would be the day I shall celebrate the transformation of this road to international standards! Till then, enjoy the drive.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd September 2016 at 15:55.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 17:01   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It is really heartening and fulfilling to note how many folks are planning the 1500-km drive between the two cities nowadays. In fact, I am even more thrilled to learn that, quite frequently, many are putting in non-stop drives between the cities, without an overnight break. My guess is that the movie Piku has played a big role in popularizing this road, as much as the 3 Idiots movie has served to popularize Ladakh.

The changes to this road are equally amazing to note:
- divided road with 4-laning completed sometime in end-2005;
- concrete surfacing through BR and JH around that time, making it one of the most pleasurable stretches to drive on;
- the Allahabad bypass, which became operational in 2010, with toll not being collected till 2012;
- the Yamuna Expressway opened in 2012, reducing driving time between Delhi and Agra to almost half;
- 6-laning between Etawah and Kanpur completed in 2015, with multiple flyovers to avoid the traffic through various towns;
- ongoing flyover construction work in the section through WB and a part of JH has made the journey through this stretch of about 300 km horrific at the present time;
- total driving time hasn't changed radically - about 22-24 hours is the total time still required (with stops), depending on one's luck and the time of year. My hopes of this road being a comfortable under-20-hour drive still remain just that, though a few have claimed to have done the trip in 17 hours or less;
- the toll for the entire road, however, has climbed from a little under Rs.700 each way when this thread was written in 2009, to almost Rs.2000 each way today.

On my wishlist for this road:
- completion of the roadworks in the section through JH and WB;
- widening & flyovers / bypasses between Agra and Etawah, and between Allahabad & Varanasi;
- better surfacing all through, especially in the section between Allahabad and the UP-BR border.

The day I can complete the trip in under 20 hours without facing risky situations and driving at unsafe speeds, would be the day I shall celebrate the transformation of this road to international standards! Till then, enjoy the drive.
I don't know if it is Piku effect. At least not for me. I have done Mumbai to Delhi earlier - but there were a few issues with Kolkata. First, I was not confident about making the journey in my 12 year old Wagon R (Mumbai Delhi Trips were in 05 and 06). Then after I got the Safari, my son was too young.

Only thinking of road trips now.

That said, there is still resistance to Kolkata roadtrip because it passes through the "badlands".

No such issues faced in Mumbai-Delhi, Pune-Ahmedabad or Pune-Kanyakumari.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:10   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...there is still resistance to Kolkata roadtrip because it passes through the "badlands".
Badlands? Not really. The law and order situation along highways is much the same anywhere across the country, and basic precautions mean travellers remain safe. Not heard of any armed robberies and such on this highway for a long time now. Dangerous traffic, yes. But that is a progressively worsening situation anywhere in this country now.
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:45   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Badlands? Not really. The law and order situation along highways is much the same anywhere across the country, and basic precautions mean travellers remain safe. Not heard of any armed robberies and such on this highway for a long time now. Dangerous traffic, yes. But that is a progressively worsening situation anywhere in this country now.
I understand - but I was talking about the perception, hence the quotes.

My wife and mother were both hesitant about Kolkata, but I faced no issues for Mumbai-Delhi or Pune-Kanyakumari. Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan and the Southern States are considered "Civilized" while UP-Bihar-Bengal has a poorer perception.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:41   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Am too starting on 6th oct. it will be great to find to find so many fellow bhpians on the same road.
What are the return dates you guys looking at.

We should consider to sync travel if we all are leaving on 6th. will be a more enjoyable journey.
You may please connect with me. It will be great to travel together.
Sakshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:37   #416
BHPian

Quote:

Yes the roads have considerably improved over the years.
My last trip on the same route about 10 months back was done in 18hrs with a 2 hr stop in between.

Its been a treat to see this road grow to the current potential from the eras of when i used to do it in the 800 cruising at a max of 80km/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakshar View Post
You may please connect with me. It will be great to travel together.
Hi Sakshar, was trying to PM you, but seems its disabled on your profile.
Feel free to PM me if you can. So that we may sync up

Last edited by bblost : 23rd September 2016 at 22:35. Reason: High speed references deleted.
krazydriver84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 06:40   #417

Hi there. Guess my profile is yet to be matured enough to get the PM facility. You may please find me over online at the name of Sakshar Ray Chaudhuri
Old 29th September 2016, 16:09   #418

planning to start on 5th October 3am from south Delhi.planning stopover at Benaras.

If I plan to reach Calcutta around 6 pm- what will be the best time to start from Benaras? Read about crazy traffic in the approach to NH2 in Benaras in morning.

PS- I am a slow driver and tend to stop frequently in between.

hope YEW and beyond is safe at that time.

Suggestions please

Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:07   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
If I plan to reach Calcutta around 6 pm- what will be the best time to start from Benaras? Read about crazy traffic in the approach to NH2 in Benaras in morning.
PS- I am a slow driver and tend to stop frequently in between.
Account for about 11 hours to travel from Benaras to Kolkata, for the type of driving you say you do - so, calculating backwards from your desired time of 6 pm to enter Kolkata, you ought to leave Benaras around 7 am at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
hope YEW and beyond is safe at that time.
Yes, reasonably safe.
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:06   #420

I have stopped in Varanasi only in few cases and had to stay inside the city chaos as I am accompanied by pets. The recommendation will be to stay as close to the highway as possible. I found Varanashi to be traffic infested in daytime and truck infested in early morning (even at 3am).

Eventually, one of my friend just reached Kolkata from Faridabad. He took 27 hours on Alto 800 CNG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks