Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 18:19   #166
BHPian

Delhi - Kolkata: Best route?

Hi Guys

I'll be travelling to Kolkata from Delhi in Mid April.

I know that I primarily need to stick to NH2.
Am pretty sorted about the route till Allahabad, but need advice on the route to take post Allahabad to Kolkata.

What would be the best route to take keeping in mind the current road conditions.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:42   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi - Kolkata: Best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
I know that I primarily need to stick to NH2.
Use the Yamuna Expressway to save 2 hours of travelling time.
Quote:
...need advice on the route to take post Allahabad to Kolkata.
Use the Allahabad bypass.
Quote:
What would be the best route to take keeping in mind the current road conditions.
The best and only route is the YEW-NH2. Stay on it!
Old 6th March 2013, 12:39   #168
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Very true SST. YEW saves more than 2 hours.
Last week i went to Allahabad and I started by 5 am and was at Allahabad bypass by 12.30. Now the Allahabad bypass has proper signage. Old GT road is a sold mess.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 12:40   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Last time when i crossed that route, Yamuna expressway was work-in- progress. Any proper signage on NH2 for exiting to Yamuna expressway?
Old 6th March 2013, 13:01   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Last time when i crossed that route, Yamuna expressway was work-in- progress. Any proper signage on NH2 for exiting to Yamuna expressway?
YEW has been in operation since August 2012. All signage is in place.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 17:06   #171
BHPian

Quote:

Use the Allahabad bypass.

The best and only route is the YEW-NH2. Stay on it!
Thanks SS.

I will be sticking to YEW itself.
However, wanted to know what would be the major towns and cities I'd be crossing on the way post Allahabad, as they would act as my checkpoints.
Old 6th March 2013, 18:03   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SS.

I will be sticking to YEW itself.
However, wanted to know what would be the major towns and cities I'd be crossing on the way post Allahabad, as they would act as my checkpoints.
The major towns that you will come across after crossing Allahabad are

1. Varanasi (lots of options for stay/ food & other staples of travelling) and a nice place from religious perspective,

2. Sasaram (nothing much from transit point of view, just 2 or 3 good hotels inside the city but has the famous Sher Shah Suri's Makabara or Tomb which you can visit only if you are interested and have lots of time, which may not be the case), & this belt is famous as good rice producers at cheap prices.

3. Dehri-on-sone: Nothing significant except the long bridge on river sone.

4. Dobhi: Bodh Gaya, the most important Budhist pilgrimage is just 24 Kms from the left turn. If you are on a joy ride and have some time, this is a must do. Good options to stay/ fooding.

4. Barhi: 65 kms from Dobhi, again nothing except a cross with NH-33 which is also Ranchi-Patna route. You continue straight from this cross.

5. Govindpur/ Dhanbad: Nothing significant about Govindpur. Dhanbad; the Coal Capital of India, is close from this place (16 kms), not exactly on road.

6. Asansol

7. Durgapur: Good options to stay, famous for Durgapur Steel Plant. Good shopping malls beside the NH2 as well. So, if something that you might be looking for, you can get from the Big Bazar just beside the road.

8. Panagarh: Left for Shantiniketan. You go straight where a traffic congestion welcomes you!

9. Kolkata: Your Destination.

Some distances that I remember: Sasaram to Dobhi: 115 Kms, Dobhi to Barhi: 65 kms (that makes Sasaram to Barhi about 180Kms) , Govindpur to Panagarh: 110 Kms.

You will get best surfaces in Bihar & Jharkhand. In WB, the road surface will suffer a wee bit but still you will be able to keep up good average speed.
Have a safe journey. Please don't overspeed.

Best Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 6th March 2013 at 18:09.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 19:35   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...what would be the major towns and cities I'd be crossing on the way post Allahabad, as they would act as my checkpoints.
Saket77 has answered that question. Thanks Saket.

Funnily, there are no towns and cities along the way until you get to Jharkhand. Every major town has either been bypassed, or there are overbridges that take you above the local traffic. I think the first town (when heading east) that you actually pass through (read: watch out for crazy local traffic) is Topchachi, and then there's Gobindpur. In WB, you actually pass through almost every town starting from Asansol. The Barakar > Durgapur > Panagarh stretch is the painful part. Mercifully, Bardhaman and Shaktigarh have been bypassed, but you still get to stop and buy 'lyangcha', 'mihidana', 'sitabhog', 'makha sandesh' etc. from the many shops lining the highway - enough to cause a traffic jam.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 21:04   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but you still get to stop and buy 'lyangcha', 'mihidana', 'sitabhog', 'makha sandesh' etc. from the many shops lining the highway - enough to cause a traffic jam.
Traffic jam where? On the highway or inside the stomach?
Old 6th March 2013, 22:05   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Traffic jam where? On the highway or inside the stomach?
Sometimes one, sometimes the other, and at other times, both!
Old 7th March 2013, 11:24   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and at other times, both!
This could be particularly torturous!
Best to encounter one at a time!
Old 7th March 2013, 12:58   #177
BHPian

Ha .. Ha ..

Shaktigarh has ample parking space (beside the road) -- Delhi to Kolkata side.

Traffic jam on the Highway ... sometimes ... a wee bit ...
Traffic jam in the stomach ... definitely ... esp if you have a sweet tooth.

However, best option:
Cause a stomach "Traffic jam" for your howling passengers, and "No traffic jam" (a.k.a. light food) for self ... then a peaceful drive along Durgapur Expressway till Kolkata with a car-full of sleeping passengers.

Cheers,
Saurav
Old 7th March 2013, 13:49   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The major towns that you will come across after crossing Allahabad are

1. Varanasi (lots of options for stay/ food & other staples of travelling) and a nice place from religious perspective,

2. Sasaram (nothing much from transit point of view, just 2 or 3 good hotels inside the city but has the famous Sher Shah Suri's Makabara or Tomb which you can visit only if you are interested and have lots of time, which may not be the case), & this belt is famous as good rice producers at cheap prices.

3. Dehri-on-sone: Nothing significant except the long bridge on river sone.

4. Dobhi: Bodh Gaya, the most important Budhist pilgrimage is just 24 Kms from the left turn. If you are on a joy ride and have some time, this is a must do. Good options to stay/ fooding.

4. Barhi: 65 kms from Dobhi, again nothing except a cross with NH-33 which is also Ranchi-Patna route. You continue straight from this cross.

5. Govindpur/ Dhanbad: Nothing significant about Govindpur. Dhanbad; the Coal Capital of India, is close from this place (16 kms), not exactly on road.

6. Asansol

7. Durgapur: Good options to stay, famous for Durgapur Steel Plant. Good shopping malls beside the NH2 as well. So, if something that you might be looking for, you can get from the Big Bazar just beside the road.

8. Panagarh: Left for Shantiniketan. You go straight where a traffic congestion welcomes you!

9. Kolkata: Your Destination.

Some distances that I remember: Sasaram to Dobhi: 115 Kms, Dobhi to Barhi: 65 kms (that makes Sasaram to Barhi about 180Kms) , Govindpur to Panagarh: 110 Kms.

You will get best surfaces in Bihar & Jharkhand. In WB, the road surface will suffer a wee bit but still you will be able to keep up good average speed.
Have a safe journey. Please don't overspeed.

Best Regards,
Saket
Thanks saket,
Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Saket77 has answered that question. Thanks Saket.

Funnily, there are no towns and cities along the way until you get to Jharkhand. Every major town has either been bypassed, or there are overbridges that take you above the local traffic. I think the first town (when heading east) that you actually pass through (read: watch out for crazy local traffic) is Topchachi, and then there's Gobindpur. In WB, you actually pass through almost every town starting from Asansol. The Barakar > Durgapur > Panagarh stretch is the painful part. Mercifully, Bardhaman and Shaktigarh have been bypassed, but you still get to stop and buy 'lyangcha', 'mihidana', 'sitabhog', 'makha sandesh' etc. from the many shops lining the highway - enough to cause a traffic jam.
Ooh boy, its been ages since i have had shaktigarh's lyangchas.
I'll try and pack some on the return trip for the Delhi gang, if it manages to reach delhi unfinished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Ha .. Ha ..

Shaktigarh has ample parking space (beside the road) -- Delhi to Kolkata side.

Traffic jam on the Highway ... sometimes ... a wee bit ...
Traffic jam in the stomach ... definitely ... esp if you have a sweet tooth.

However, best option:
Cause a stomach "Traffic jam" for your howling passengers, and "No traffic jam" (a.k.a. light food) for self ... then a peaceful drive along Durgapur Expressway till Kolkata with a car-full of sleeping passengers.

Cheers,
Saurav
You read my mind. That's one of the ideas I had but the entry to Kolkata from the Vidyasagar Setu might just ruin the tempo.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:39   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
@Saket : For Big Bazar you need to go a bit inside from the NH.
Junction Mall and Spencers are visible from the NH, but you need to take a turn near the DMC building.

Quote:
Ooh boy, its been ages since i have had shaktigarh's lyangchas.
I'll try and pack some on the return trip for the Delhi gang, if it manages to reach delhi unfinished.
Last October I had a chance to taste the Saktigarh lyangcha after almost a decade. I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the sweets now compared to the ones that I used to relish during my childhood.

Maybe it was my badluck, but I tried four different shops and none was so tasty.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:00   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
@Saket : For Big Bazar you need to go a bit inside from the NH.
So, I goofed up on that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
@Saket :
Junction Mall and Spencers are visible from the NH, but you need to take a turn near the DMC building.
I remember while crossing Durgapur last month, I saw a big mall on the left side (while going towards Panagarh). That looked approachable right from NH2 as it was right beside the same.
Would be glad if you would correct me.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks