Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 19:03   #46
BHPian

Tell me about it arindam. Moved back to Mumbai after 7 years of using Delhi as a base for exploring Uttaranchal and Himachal and enjoying the mountains. Now I sit and look at the pictures on my laptop living vicariously through others eyes

To complement the awesome pictures posted earlier, here is a golden glow from Majkhakli between Almora and Ranikhet

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-32_himalaya_view_web.jpg
Old 28th April 2009, 18:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
It's nice to see the range of Himalaya there, really awesome photographs.

Hmm, I should seriously think of relocating to NCR, after covering the few places left to visit in South India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Tell me about it arindam. Moved back to Mumbai after 7 years of using Delhi as a base for exploring Uttaranchal and Himachal and enjoying the mountains. Now I sit and look at the pictures on my laptop living vicariously through others eyes

To complement the awesome pictures posted earlier, here is a golden glow from Majkhakli between Almora and Ranikhet

Attachment 129005
Wow fellows, you sound like coupla real wanderers!

Here're two more to entice you some more.

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05705.jpg

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05903.jpg
Old 17th September 2009, 12:31   #48
BHPian

In Binasr for days - help needed on nearby attractions

Hi,

I'll be in Binsar with my family for couple of days. Would like to get details about few day trips we can make during our stay.

I know there are quite a few places around this area. Wanted to pick the best few to visit. We'll be having a hired cab with us for our local trips. An approx. distance and cab charges (if possible) will be very helpful (at least, to have a reference point for negotiation)

So, any nearby destination which we can visit and return in a day would be great.

Regards
Rex
Old 17th September 2009, 17:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

You can go here for the views:
APAD 090912 – Binsar @ My Daily Photo (some of them there).

you dont need much to do there:
a. forest walks (guide from forest deptt)
b. night views and morning views - its by far one of the most brilliant views.

Nothing other than KMVN will do. Choose the 1500 Rs wala room. The view doesn't matter - its awesome only from the viewing terrace! (or pay 1600 for rooms 101-105)

EDIT: Its about 430km from delhi via kathgodam or 460 via kaladungi-haldwani-bhimtal-bhowali

You have almora, nainital and all the tals on the way. Stop where you will

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th September 2009 at 17:34.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:49   #50
BHPian

Hey Rex, if you're gonna be in Binsar just for coupla days, then I'd recommend that you spend time in the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary only. There are exciting forest hikes and amazing views all around you.

As phamilyman has rightly said, "Nothing other than KMVN will do", its the best place to stay in terms of views. You'll also find guides in there who could take you for hikes and show the wildlife to you.

Be sure that you carry warm clothing as it gets chilly in the evening/night.

@phamilyman: How about the Kaladhungi-Nainital route? I find it better as one avoids passing through the city of Haldwani and the associated traffic.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:08   #51
BHPian

Some wonderful views of the mountain peaks.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen08 View Post
Some wonderful views of the mountain peaks.
Thanks mate! Revisiting this thread had rekindled my memories of Breathtaking Binsar. Can't let go of the feeling that used to creep in watching the towering Nanda Devi peaks. *sigh* Feel like heading back there, maybe sometime soon.

Need a real big & strong catapult

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05770.jpg

Purple Haze

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05774.jpg

Clouds float by

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05702.jpg

Just a Herculean stone's throw

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05703.jpg

When will we be that tall

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05624.jpg

Never, so stop wishing

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05635.jpg

Cloudy Streaks

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05670.jpg

Gonna be dark soon

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05724.jpg

Nearby Almora

Binsar, the Mighty Himalayas & Life-dsc05618_crop.jpg
Old 18th September 2009, 13:17   #53
BHPian

Beautiful Breathtaking pictures Abhinav! so refreshing and pleasing to the eyes! i remember seeing these mighty peaks on my way to Ranikhet in Jan09, you've done a splendid job in capturing them!
Old 18th September 2009, 14:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
Beautiful Breathtaking pictures Abhinav! so refreshing and pleasing to the eyes! i remember seeing these mighty peaks on my way to Ranikhet in Jan09, you've done a splendid job in capturing them!
Hey thanks for the compliment buddy.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:25   #55
BHPian

Amazing photographs. The snow covered mountains are just too good.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

@Abhinav - the kaladhungi nainital route is WAY better - take it without a thought. The regular NH24 is impossible
Old 30th October 2009, 20:43   #57
Team-BHP Support

Mind blowing snaps! I had planned Naini, Kausani and Jim Corbett national park in Oct, but cancelled at the last minute due to the swine flu scare and as there was 14 month baby involved. Will definitely go some time in future.

Binsar added to the list.

Last edited by ampere : 30th October 2009 at 20:44.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:39   #58

[quote=lordofgondor;1488704]Hey Rex, if you're gonna be in Binsar just for coupla days, then I'd recommend that you spend time in the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary only. There are exciting forest hikes and amazing views all around you.

Excellent photos. They really drive me to push for an immediate trip to Binsar. Which part of the year will be the best one for clear views. Will 2N/3D be enough for Binsar stay so that i will not miss the clear views?. How Binsar will be different from Ranikhet which is another worth visiting place in kumaon.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:52   #59
BHPian

Superb pics lordofgondor! This reminds me of my trip to Almora, Choukori and Binsar during the winter of 2004. When I checked into KMVN TRH, Binsar, the guy at the reception handed me three candles and a match box. They didn't have electricity back then. The rooms were pretty good. All wooden, the ceiling, floor and the walls. Through the windows you had a breath taking 180 degree view of Nandakot, Trishul and a couple of other Himalayan peaks which I now forget. I was told one could even see as far as the Pindari glacier on a clear day.

How is it now? Have they got electricity?
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:20   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Abhinav - the kaladhungi nainital route is WAY better - take it without a thought. The regular NH24 is impossible
Sarkar that's the only way I take while heading to those areas of UA. Driving through the Corbett area is superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Amazing photographs. The snow covered mountains are just too good.
Thanks buddy! I spend so much time continuously gazing at them be it day or night. They absolutely mesmerize you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Mind blowing snaps! I had planned Naini, Kausani and Jim Corbett national park in Oct, but cancelled at the last minute due to the swine flu scare and as there was 14 month baby involved. Will definitely go some time in future.

Binsar added to the list.
Thanks buddy! When one's headed to UA, Binsar's not to be missed for sure. Just make sure not to go there in & around monsoons. And make sure to carry flashlight(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugamprakas View Post
Excellent photos. They really drive me to push for an immediate trip to Binsar. Which part of the year will be the best one for clear views. Will 2N/3D be enough for Binsar stay so that i will not miss the clear views?. How Binsar will be different from Ranikhet which is another worth visiting place in kumaon.
Thanks buddy! I'd say March would be a good time for less cloud cover. 2N/3D sounds good to absorb in the views, but frankly I can stay in there for a week without getting bored. There are plenty of forest hikes in there too. I'd recommend the KMVN hotel for the views that it's terrace offers. Amazing!

Ranikhet is like a regular touristy place in the area, with hotels/shops around, whereas Binsar wild life sanctuary is devoid of those. So I think it's more tranquil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Superb pics lordofgondor!

When I checked into KMVN TRH, Binsar, the guy at the reception handed me three candles and a match box. They didn't have electricity back then. The rooms were pretty good. All wooden, the ceiling, floor and the walls. Through the windows you had a breath taking 180 degree view of Nandakot, Trishul and a couple of other Himalayan peaks which I now forget. I was told one could even see as far as the Pindari glacier on a clear day.

How is it now? Have they got electricity?
Thanks buddy! Yup they did have electricity, though it's through a genset which was turned on for very short periods. Essentially during the late evening/dinner time.

Now they leave the candles & matchbox in the room instead of giving them at the reception. Rest was all the same.

Other noticable peaks that I can recollect are Nanda Devi, Nanda Ghunti, Chaukhumba, Panchauli Peaks & Neelkanth. I tried catching the Pindari galcier using my 300mm telephoto lens pointed to the direction a guide suggested, but wasn't sure what I was seeing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks