Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 15:29   #76
Team-BHP Support

There is dam construction going on, and volvo trucks keep on kicking up lot of dust. I looks like a permanent dust storm
Its not really muddy brown, but dirty green
Old 18th March 2009, 16:05   #77
Team-BHP Support

I am surprised you never checked the radiator throughout this ordeal. I know, hindsight-20/20 etc, but that is one of checks first comes to mind.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer great pictures and lovely narration!

Keep them coming..........
Old 18th March 2009, 16:19   #79
Team-BHP Support

Yup, hindsight 20/20
Even I was kicking myself.
The thing is I kept on checking the coolant tank, and it never occurred to me that something would start blocking flow of coolant into the radiator.

I checked the coolant tank multiple times, and the level was good. Moreover if you open radiator, the only way to check for water is to start car with cap open and see water gushing out
Moreover the temp gauge did not go above half mark, it remained slightly below half.
I guess that was because the engine was at low RPM, and therefore did not really overheat.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:28   #80
Team-BHP Support

Also you dont put cold mountain stream water into a 116 deg engine! But i still dont get the problem, where the hell did coolant go??? Or is it that some coolant was missing and then air lock happened??
Old 18th March 2009, 16:34   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Also you dont put cold mountain stream water into a 116 deg engine! But i still dont get the problem, where the hell did coolant go??? Or is it that some coolant was missing and then air lock happened??
We shut down engine and waited for a few minutes before pouring in water.
So it was much colder.
As for where did 8L coolant go, well thats a mystery under investigation. I will be getting an update from service center in the evening
Old 18th March 2009, 16:35   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
where the hell did coolant go??? Or is it that some coolant was missing and then air lock happened??
I wonder if that "oil" on the alternator, shown in Tanveer's previous photos, was actually the coolant dripping away? Was there a drop in engine oil levels too?
Old 18th March 2009, 16:37   #83
BANNED

Tanveer's new designation - TATA R&D engineer
Tanveer's Safari - TATA test mule

All said in lighter vein.

But Tanveer what is the next course of action. Are the TATA's giving back the same Safari after one more set of surgery and repairs ?

Note:I feel this reply should have been on your Pet Nightmare thread.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 18th March 2009 at 16:38.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:47   #84
Team-BHP Support

Oye Lucky Lucky Oye... Part II

Before proceeding however we had to visit MASS, and sort out formalities. I got to know later that TVS was supposed to sort out the money matters, but at that time I had to pay 400rs.
Hopefully I will get a refund for that.
anyways we started our journey, and hoped to make to Narkanda by 3:30ish and have lunch there.
the ride was uneventful, and we exited Kinnaur quickly.
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-493343120_uqbrjl.jpg
I was imagning warm bed at Delhi by 12am, but fate is a cruel thing they say.
anyways, we went to the same waterfall, and washed the car again, and went on our way.
At Rampur there was a major traffic jam due to saturday Bazaar, and we got delayed by almost an hour.
After that it was mostly a breeze.
30kms from Narkanda, around 3:30 we stopped for lunch, and had the lousiest food of our lives at some Annapoorna Bhojanalya.
Next time I see this name anywhere in the world, I will run away as fast as I can.

Just after stopping at that place, we checked coolant temp and it was 95 degrees. All nice and rosy.
After that we started the climb to Narkanda, and it was past evening when we finally cleared shimla.
We reached solan on around 8pm, and signed the job card etc., there. Took us 5 minutes, and checked coolant temp again.
From Solan we started the climb down to the plains, and over here I met the worst drivers you can imagine.
Mostly New Delhi number plate wagon Rs overtaking on blind turns.
Many times I had to get off the road and stop to let these idiots overtake me
In Delhi these people drive the wrong side of the road when they see traffic on their side, and same thing they do in hills.

On one occasion there we were three cars. A plains verna going at 20kmph and following best line through the corner so nobody could overtake the idiot, a HP roadways bus honking away to glory to make the nut get out of the way, and behind him me.
curvy roads, blind turns, so I was waiting for an opening.
A DL Wagon R comes, and starts honking, but where do we go? Off the cliff.
then comes a blind narrow turn and we all slow down, and the Wagon R decides to overtake.
I have done the turn half, and can see on other side, so can the bus driver. Its s truck coming, and I am waiting for the head on collision of wagon R and truck.
The bus driver mercifully moves to the left off the road, as the wagon R comes charging down, but space is less, and his rear fender hits the truck, he slows down to stop, but then speeds away.
I think he realized that if he had stopped all the passengers of the bus amd the truck driver would have beaten him up.
Heck I would have done "Behti Ganga mein haath"

Thankfully as it became dark, such nuts vanished, and we did not get a Jam at Kalka too.
I took the Zirakpur route instead of Nadha sahib route as traffic was light, and the flyover at Zirakpur is complete.

But shortly before Zirakpur came across a small jam.
Traffic police with breath analyzers. After all its saturday night, when boys from chd run to the hills to get drunk!
They are leaning into every car asking Kahaan ja rahe ho. As the guy leans into our car we both burst out laughing.

He also grins and lets us pass.
After that its a good nice run to Ambala. Road is 4 lane all the way, and there are no obstructions.
11:30pm we are eating a Mayur Dhaba(lousy food again), and dreaming of nice warm bed at 2am.

But some people never learn. I am one of them. I have not learned yet that I should not dream, because dreams come crashing down......
Old 18th March 2009, 17:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer:
by any chance do you have a pic of the engine bay from before.
Just to verify if by any chance this pipe was out even before you left for this trip.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

But some people never learn. I am one of them. I have not learned yet that I should not dream, because dreams come crashing down......
Now what happened Tanveer, what went crashing down
Old 18th March 2009, 17:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
There is lot of haze in the air surprisingly, and the kinner kailash is barely visible
Attachment 113033
The view from the same spot in September'07, when I went upto Pooh - Khab!
Attached Thumbnails
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-100_0649.jpg  

Last edited by breezydrive : 18th March 2009 at 17:26. Reason: Spell check
Old 18th March 2009, 20:41   #88

It just keeps getting better. I just can't wait to read the end. Amazing trip. Reading your post make me admire TATA customer Service.
Old 18th March 2009, 20:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Good narration.

It did feel like driving through the Himachal valley. Looks like the roads do offer a lot of challenge there.

Though there is no chance for me adventuring in to the Himachal valleys, the place is worth visting. Yeah - at least in the dreams.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Though there is no chance for me adventuring in to the Himachal valleys, the place is worth visting. Yeah - at least in the dreams.
Bijuks, that's a strange statement!
What is holding you back?
Those routes are routinely done by almost all cars! The singular omissions being Mercks and Audis and BMWs, LOL!!

Last edited by anupmathur : 18th March 2009 at 21:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks