Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 10:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Tuticorin !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its actually very good. Though pricey. I tried it more than once.
Also note they open exactly at 7AM for BF!

If you have a Garmin GPS, here is the waypoint for Aristo marked by HVK (see the attachment in the following post).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2443619

Beautiful roads all the way till Tuticorin. Have a nice drive.
ampere, neo you both just managed to cut a deeper hole in my pocket. My wife has the habit of snooping around my emails sometimes and she was curious to see what I have been quoted in team bhp and saw ampere's post.

She was very happy to hear about GRT grand at Salem. Her argument is that usually we tend to get very hungry by 7.00AM as we get an early morning start and a sumptuous breakfast would do a world of good given that the lunch would be in Tuticorin at about 2.00PM.

So, thanks guys for bringing up additional options and this makes the trip and drive even more interesting.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
ampere, neo you both just managed to cut a deeper hole in my pocket. My wife has the habit of snooping around my emails sometimes and she was curious to see what I have been quoted in team bhp and saw ampere's post.
@Gopi Also note that, the hotel is right at the point where NH7 to 5 roads junction road separates.
But to get into the hotel you should be on the service road of NH7 while approaching this diversion as the entrance is on the service road.

Once on the way back I landed there on an Onam special for lunch. It burnt an even deeper whole on my pocket! But they were having celebrations.
Free tatoos/painting for kids etc. So overall I like the place. The only logic is I say to myself is, we go out once in 3-4 months. Why deny ourselves that pleasure!
Old 14th August 2011, 22:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, I remember seeing Hotel fantasy in previous drives. But I dont remember seeing Hotel Aristo at all in the previous drives. Is this a hotel that came up recently
Aristo is really a good hotel with nice food, clean toilet and also has a good spacious play area for kids. I used to stop there every time I cross this place. When you are on the way back to bangalore, you will have to cross this place and take a 'U' turn below the first flyover.
Old 27th March 2015, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Are there any recent experiences of Bangalore to Tuticorin that can be shared. I am aware that the road from Bangalore to Madurai is spectacular to drive on, having been on that stretch a couple of times in the recent past, but how good is Madurai to Tuticorin, via Aruppukottai?
Old 27th March 2015, 21:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Are there any recent experiences of Bangalore to Tuticorin that can be shared. I am aware that the road from Bangalore to Madurai is spectacular to drive on, having been on that stretch a couple of times in the recent past, but how good is Madurai to Tuticorin, via Aruppukottai?
Hi Pariwar, I am regular on that route. It is a 4-lane bliss all the way from Madurai to Tuty with minimal traffic. To latch on to that route, you have to take a left from NH7 Madurai bypass. Watch out for signs for Madurai airport from top of a flyover. Take that left, drive for 10 kms and then you will have to take a right into the 4-lane to get to this road.

You should take less than 90 minutes to drive to Tuty from the time to latch on to this 4-lane. Enjoy your drive. Are you driving that side during the good friday weekend? If yes, watch out for a red punto with a live to drive sticker behind. That should be me
Old 28th March 2015, 07:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pariwar, I am regular on that route. It is a 4-lane bliss all the way from Madurai to Tuty with minimal traffic. To latch on to that route, you have to take a left from NH7 Madurai bypass. Watch out for signs for Madurai airport from top of a flyover. Take that left, drive for 10 kms and then you will have to take a right into the 4-lane to get to this road.

You should take less than 90 minutes to drive to Tuty from the time to latch on to this 4-lane. Enjoy your drive. Are you driving that side during the good friday weekend? If yes, watch out for a red punto with a live to drive sticker behind. That should be me
Thanks! That is really helpful. I will be leaving @ about 4.30 a.m. on Thursday, April 1, targeting to reach there @ 2.00 p.m., after a breakfast halt for about 45 minutes @ Aristo Drive Inn, Karur. Is the timing right for a sedate yet quick driving style?
Old 28th March 2015, 09:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! That is really helpful. I will be leaving @ about 4.30 a.m. on Thursday, April 1, targeting to reach there @ 2.00 p.m., after a breakfast halt for about 45 minutes @ Aristo Drive Inn, Karur. Is the timing right for a sedate yet quick driving style?
Pariwar, Yes. Absolutely doable. I usually take about 7.5 of driving time only. But my family demands a lot of breaks while driving which extends the journey. In your case, if your stoppage is just 45 minutes, you can be in Tuty for lunch with a 4.30AM start.
gopikb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 16:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Gopi said the only point to note in this whole drive is where to exit the NH7 at Madurai. Again as he mentioned, just watch out for the Madurai airport symbol.

Just for my understanding: Whats the importance of 45B beyond Madurai, that it had to be 4-laned? Is the traffic so heavy with trucks because of the port?

Gopi do you encounter enough traffic on this section?
Old 28th March 2015, 17:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
As Gopi said the only point to note in this whole drive is where to exit the NH7 at Madurai. Again as he mentioned, just watch out for the Madurai airport symbol.

Just for my understanding: Whats the importance of 45B beyond Madurai, that it had to be 4-laned? Is the traffic so heavy with trucks because of the port?

Gopi do you encounter enough traffic on this section?
Ampere, The 45B is done as a part of port connectivity. Tuticorin is an important port city and it has connectivity to two major towns Tirunelveli on the west and Madurai towards northwest. Both of them are 4-laned. The truck traffic is pretty heavy starting from the evening and through the night. However, it eases during daytime and there is only sparse traffic in the afternoon when we usually reach there.

You know what, your suggestion Grand Estancia in Salem has become our regular stop for breakfast since the past few years. Kids and wife will not settle for Adayar or Krishna Bhavan now because of the huge crowd during long weekends. Like you pointed out, it is definitely worth it and a much peaceful place to relax after the hectic drive.
gopikb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 17:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both of them are 4-laned.
Did not realise that even Tirunelveli-Tuticorin was 4-laned as well! Thats great.

Quote:
You know what, your suggestion Grand Estancia in Salem has become our regular stop for breakfast since the past few years. Kids and wife will not settle for Adayar or Krishna Bhavan now because of the huge crowd during long weekends. Like you pointed out, it is definitely worth it and a much peaceful place to relax after the hectic drive.
. Talk of comforts ! This one is surely needed.

Now you also have Park Plaza just a km before Grand Estancia! After the GRT fracnhise broke over with Grand Estancia, I find the food quality has gone down quite a bit esp lunch.

I have shifted loyalties to Park Plaza now!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 09:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Now you also have Park Plaza just a km before Grand Estancia! After the GRT fracnhise broke over with Grand Estancia, I find the food quality has gone down quite a bit esp lunch.

I have shifted loyalties to Park Plaza now!
Aha, that is a good option I never explored. We do see Park plaza everytime we cross it. Let me give it a shot the next time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 27th May 2019, 12:15   #27
BHPian

Did a Bangalore to Tuticorin round trip over the weekend. Left north Bangalore at around 5:45 AM and reached Tuticorin by 3:15 PM with a cumulative 45 minutes break in the interval. On the way back left Tuticorin by 7:15 AM and reached Bangalore by 5:00 PM again with a cumulative 45 minutes break. Drove pretty much under 100 for most stretch. Here is my breakdown of road conditions.

Bangalore to Krishnagiri
There was moderate traffic on the way out and heavy traffic on the way in. The roads despite being a 3 lane is not a pleasure to drive. There are way too many errant car drivers with KA number plates. Add to this the jam at Attibelle and Krishnagiri toll post takes the entire fun out of the drive. The fastag express lane is anything but express. I had to wait longer cause morons with fastag stickers but no top up were happily using the lane and getting the toll tickets

Krishnagiri to Salem
This stretch is now completely resurfaced including the thoppur ghats. On the way down its almost hindrance free, but on the way up you still have those lorries huffing their way up thoppur ghats making it very difficult for faster moving vehicles. However its better than before cause of the freshly resurfaced road. Traffic starts to build up just before Salem town and it continues to be a hindrance until you exit Salem town (yes you have to pass through city traffic)

Salem to Rasipuram
Two wheelers continue to be a pain but traffic thins out to significantly. The road surface is still good. However unlike the Bangalore Salem stretch there isnt too many shops / buildings adjacent to the NH. You start to see some open stretches

Rasipuram to Kodai Road
Lots of open stretches and its peaceful to drive with the exceptions being around Vedasandur and Dindigul town where the two wheelers continue to be a pain. There are some stretches of road which are being prepared for resurfacing but its not a hindrance to drive. The rest of the stretches are newly resurfaced and a pleasure to drive in.

Kodai Road to Madurai
There is a slight uptick in traffic in this part and its better to be safe than sorry. Road stretch is freshly surfaced and a pleasure to drive in.

Madurai to Tuticorin
I took the Kappulur-Airport ring road and joined NH38. This is one peaceful stretch to drive. There is hardly any traffic and the roads are decent throughout. There are stretches that are being prepared for resurfacing so you will have an uptick in road noise cause of the rough road, but its pothole free and there is zero need to reduce speed anywhere. This is the best stretch in the entire drive

My observation
  • Bangalore Salem stretch has way too much traffic and errant car drivers mostly with KA number plates. This stretch is not fun to drive anymore and I look forward to doing this stretch at odd hours to avoid traffic
  • Salem to Tuticorin is definitely a relaxed drive in comparison. Keep an eye for that odd two wheeler or the stray dog and the speedo hovering in the 90-100 zone, you should not have any issues
  • You are spoilt for eating joints and fuel stations in the Bangalore Salem stretch. However it starts to thin out beyond Salem. Its better to plan upfront the Madurai to Tuticorin stretch with the right places for halt if you are travelling with family. I did not find any place worth a mention in this stretch
  • Did I mention about drivers with KA number plates getting on your nerves in the Bangalore-Salem stretch ?
  • Tolls accumulate to around 700 rupees one way. A round trip will cost you in the ballpark of 6000 for a midsize diesel sedan giving around 20Kmpl. This is including tolls and fuel.

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th May 2019 at 12:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks