Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 17:49   #31
BHPian

Awesome . Was gripped to your narration. Look fwd to doing something like this soon.

So, traveling this long - its in the family ?
Old 5th September 2008, 17:52   #32
BHPian

Awesome trip and writeup. did you take any pics? can you share them?

Waiting to hear about your return trip experience.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vijay,

Was at hotel Sankam (20 days bac) going by Kumar sirs word. must say was a great place. Well about the route i wont say anything when KUMAR SIR is arround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You should reach Kolhapur a little earlier by the Ahmedanagar-Pandharpur route. Saves you the hassle of navigating Pune city in peak hour, besides minimising chances of getting lost. Road conditions are good. If you reach Kolhapur by 8 pm and thereabouts, you could target Belgaum and stay over at Hotel Sankam, so that the next day you can drive direct from Belgaum to Madras.
Old 5th September 2008, 19:21   #34
BHPian

Kumar ji,

So from Shirdi, i go down straight and take a right at Loni and them im on the Nagar - Pune highway (this is the route i usually take while returning to Thane via Malsej Ghats since it offers some spectacular scenery). Once I reach Nagar, I will ask for directions to Kolhapur unless signages are good.

And the outer ring road from neelamangala will land me on the Hosur Road (towards Vellore ?)

Thanks
Old 5th September 2008, 20:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

I relooked at the distances for your Shirdi-Kolhapur route, and here are the results:

Route 1: Shirdi-Pandharpur-Kolhapur:
Shirdi-Loni 20-Ahmednagar 45-Jaigaon 65-Karmala 30-Tembhurni-45-Pandharpur 45-Songole 33-Nagaj 24-Miraj 70-Sangli 10-Jaisinghpur 10-Kolhapur 35, or 430 kms

Route 2: Shirdi-Ahmednagar-Pune-Kolhapur
Shirdi-Loni-Ahmednagar 65-Ranjangaon 70-Pune 50-Satara 120-Karad 55-Kolhapur 70, or 430 kms

Route 3: Shirdi-Sangamaner-Pune-Kolhapur
Shirdi-Sangamaner 55-Ale Phata 65-Manchar 25- Rajgurunagar 20-Chakan-Pune 40-Kolhapur 245, or 445 kms

Considering that you will leave Shirdi by 2 pm, I hink I would now prefer Route 2, instead of Route 1 which I had suggeted earlier. Reason being that the Pandharpur-Miraj route is more lonely (since you will be reaching those parts after sun-down). Despite tha you have to navigate Pune city, once you cross Pune by, say, 6-7 pm, you can bullet it to Kolhapur on nice 4 lane GQ roads.

The ring road is not from Nelamangala, but from Dasarahalli (after Peenya, before Yeshwantpur). It will intersect NH4 (via Chittoor) and NH7 (via Hosur, Vellore).
Old 5th September 2008, 20:32   #36
BHPian

thank you sir. i was thinking on similar lines. i will try to keep that ring road route in mind after neelamangala. any landmarks or details like the one you have provided for kolhapur will be useful. Thanks.

I m not going to spell out my plans now but the return travelogue may provide interesting reading as well.

Thanks
Old 6th September 2008, 11:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The ring road is not from Nelamangala, but from Dasarahalli (after Peenya, before Yeshwantpur). It will intersect NH4 (via Chittoor) and NH7 (via Hosur, Vellore).
If you have to take outer ring road I sincerely advice that you dont take that. You will get stuck as you will reach there by evening from neelamangala itself.

After Tumkur, within 15-20km you will reach a flyover (at Dobbspet) dont take the flyover. Take the service road in the left. Once under the flyover take left turn for Dodaballapur. Dobbspet - Dodaballapur - yelahanka route is what you should take.

Now from Yelhanka you will reach hebbal flyover. take the left. You can continue on Nh4 or take the hosur road for GQ.

Request you to kindly give me a call once you reach hebbal flyover, I will guide you a short cut from there to GQ (Sarjapur - Attibele route). Otherwise if you hit Hosur road at silk board then you are in big trouble in the evening.

Abhi
Old 6th September 2008, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Excellent write-up !!

Have a good rest and start back on your return trip. Hope the ache in your arms has long gone.

All the Best - would wait to read your travelogue on the return trip.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

i will suggest one more route from shirdi to kolhapur.

shirdi-rahuri-ahmadnagar-daund-baramati-nira-lonand-satara[ you will touch nh4 here]-karad-kolhapur.
total distance
shirdi-nagar 80 km
nagar-baramati 115 km
baramati-satara 95 km
satara-kolhapur 125km

total 415 km.
roads are good and safe.
Old 7th September 2008, 14:55   #40
BHPian

i think im inclined to take the route to satara via baramati and thanks for your update on the route being good and safe. i do hope this is the latest update post monsoon. Pls let me know if otherwise.
Old 8th September 2008, 10:26   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I'm waiting for vij4all to clarify that the left lane is still good.
The left lane is OK compared to the right lane. Had the opportunity last night to see where vij4all had trouble. That was not a pothole, it was a pit ready for patchwork. Saw a Qualis get in with a thud last night and a smaller car almost rear end the Qualis.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Vijay, When did you finally reach Chennai yesterday? Eager to see your Shirdi - Mumbai Travelogue soon. Post it !!

Abhi
Old 10th September 2008, 19:03   #43
BHPian

What a stress buster this was reading your travelogue sitting at office. Great narration. Looking fwd to ur return journey travelogue.
Old 10th September 2008, 21:03   #44
BHPian

Man.. what a narration. i was reading it like a novel. Excellent write up... looking forward for the return narration
Old 10th September 2008, 23:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful narration; felt like I was watching a movie!

Great, buddy!

I am sure that you might have had the moment of your life when you saw the look on your parents face when you turned up as you did. It is moments like these that are worth all the effort!

Waiting for the return journey's write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
...I think this is a wrong driving practice. Coasting is not advisable when the car is moving. I suspect braking is poor and also you dont have control.
I second this. Never, ever drive or let the vehicle roll with the gear in neutral. It is a disaster waiting to happen. Please do not do this.

Most Viewed