Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 21:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
GPA, do you have updates from your Trip 1? I saw on newspapers that Chennai-Mahabalipuram road is overflowing due to rains.
Just got back from Pondicherry today. Travelled on the ECR upto Mahabalipuram and back yesterday and did not see any of the flooding that you mentioned. Nor were any of the ones whom I met there who had driven down from Chennai mentioning that the roads were flooded. However, the road conditions have definitely deteriorated like Gpa says between Uttangarai and Krishnagiri. Four laning work is progressing at a snails pace it seems between Tindivanam and Pondi and since there is a lot of traffic on this route, expect this stretch to take you anywhere between 45mins to an hour depending on the time of the day (or night) you are in these parts !

Last edited by kannan666 : 29th September 2009 at 21:47.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:06   #122
BHPian

Thanks kannan666. Roads full of water I had seen in Times of India last week.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:13   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Melvyn,

It was a really a well written travelogue. Will be very helpful when I plan to go for the Pondi trip in the coming months. Thanks a lot for the snaps.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm grateful to GPA for his valuable advice and travelogue that got me undertaking this trip.

Melvyn
Old 12th October 2009, 18:28   #124
BHPian

Wanted to know abt Ginger...

We reached the Rajiv Gandhi statue by around 1.20pm and in about 10 minutes found our way to the Ginger hotel (first time I tried it).Total time taken to reach was about 6.5hrs with a 40 minute break.

Hey could you give me some feedback for the Ginger hotel? I am planning to book the same for the last weekend of this month...
Old 12th October 2009, 19:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
We reached the Rajiv Gandhi statue by around 1.20pm and in about 10 minutes found our way to the Ginger hotel (first time I tried it).Total time taken to reach was about 6.5hrs with a 40 minute break.

Hey could you give me some feedback for the Ginger hotel? I am planning to book the same for the last weekend of this month...
From your post, I gather that you are already staying at the Ginger hotel in Pondicherry, is there something I have missed here ? Or did you mean that you were just visiting / finding the location of Ginger in Pondi ?
Old 13th October 2009, 09:59   #126
BHPian

Clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
From your post, I gather that you are already staying at the Ginger hotel in Pondicherry, is there something I have missed here ? Or did you mean that you were just visiting / finding the location of Ginger in Pondi ?
Sorry for that. The first few lines around Ginger were meant to be a quote from royalcruiser's travelogue but didnt come out right. I actually wanted feedback on Ginger hotel where I am planning to stay during my trip at the end of this month.
Old 15th October 2009, 17:38   #127
MX6
Senior - BHPian

How old was your baby when you did that trip? I'm curious because I'm planning a 4000 km trip in 20 days in dec with my baby who would be 11 months then. I've taken her on Mumbai pune highway couple of times (she has a proper car seat). Somehow my family is advicing not to take the baby on such long trips. I feel this would be the best and least tiring for the baby if properly planned.
Old 19th October 2009, 16:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Sorry for that. The first few lines around Ginger were meant to be a quote from royalcruiser's travelogue but didnt come out right. I actually wanted feedback on Ginger hotel where I am planning to stay during my trip at the end of this month.
Hey, I saw the post now. The hotel is neat, no frills attached, very decently done up and cost effective! But let me tell you one thing, the rooms are rather small, though quite ergonomical and in case you plan to go with wife AND kids in tow (if any) then I would suggest you skip it. You can take a look at this link Ginger hotels | Ginger Pondicherry | Getting to Ginger Pondicherry - in fact, the picture that you see on this page, is pretty much what you find as a twin bed room. Feel free to PM me if you need any further details.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:35   #129
BHPian

Road condition- Bangalore-Pondicherry

I am planning a drive to Pondicherry around July 9th. How is the road condition from Bangalore?

Will it be raining in Pondy?

Is the Tindivanam-Pondy 4 lane stretch open?

I am considering two beach resorts

Kailash and the Dune. Any body has any opionions?
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:26   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
I am planning a drive to Pondicherry around July 9th. How is the road condition from Bangalore?

Will it be raining in Pondy?

I am considering two beach resorts

Kailash and the Dune. Any body has any opionions?
Dune is very good, no doubt about it but expensive. Kailash is also good and cheaper compared to Dune.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:00   #131
BHPian

My responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post

The road till Krishnagiri is a breeze. Next 40 - 50kms is patchy. Please be careful of the potholes (sometimes craters). Krishnagiri to Pondy will take anywhere between 3 to 4 hrs.

No, it is still not yet open. You will have to switch lanes (or sides) quite often but road condition is much better.

Old 28th March 2011, 14:02   #132
BHPian

Re: Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore - Pondicherry

Guyz, i am planning to take the blr-krishnagiri-chegam....route to pondy. any recent updates on the road condition.

travelling in a lancer (low GC)
Old 19th April 2011, 18:32   #133

Hey,

I just did that a month back in Astra 1.6 with my wife, Mother in Law & 3yr old daughter, the belly of my car got scrubbed several times Have just plugged the leakages caused by the scrubbing to the silencer..

Try other alternative route...

Cheers!!
Deb
Old 6th September 2011, 16:21   #134

Guys, I think proactive updates about roads that we have traveled recently will help us to plan things in advance for someone who is planning, hence reposting my latest update on Bangalore Pondicherry route once more.

This time Road till Krishnagiri - Fantastic
Krishnagiri - Thiruvanamalai - Craters, Pot holes & Patch works (Car belly got scrubbed thrice)
Thiruvanamalai - Gingee - Good but (Not great )
Tindivanam - Pondi - 4 lane express way opened, burn the tarmac...

Travel time approx 7 hrs...

Experience in Pondi this time -

Rendezvous - Authentic French Cuisine was missing
Auroville - No Change
Seagull - Same old menu, more crowded
Le Cafe & Le Tresspass - No Change
Tranquebar - Nice Experience, Roads Okay
Chunnambar - Not much of change
Old 6th September 2011, 17:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

For someone who has never been to Pondy, I am keen to know what is the authentic French cuisine that is talked about and where is it available/ recommended?

I appreciate any and all recommendations for house stays/ b&bs. Somehow I find it better to relate to local residents in that manner than staying in an overdecorated hotel room.
Only requirements are that there should not be any creepy crawlies and the toilet and bed should be clean.
TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks