Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 23:10   #1
BHPian

A day's trip to Srisailam

The trip to Srisailam was awesome! I was the one who was the most excited to make this happen. With friends getting busy with their lives and getting married, its a bit difficult to convince people for this trip. Finally I could convince 3 of my college friends and when my wife told the same thing at our office, 4 of our colleagues also got ready. So overall we were 9 people in 2 cars and we decided the trip date as 17th Feb.

A slightly late start was a bit concerning as we were late by almost 1.5 hours.... but once we started there was no looking back. 4 of my office friends also joined, 3 guys and one lady. Overall we were 7 guys and 2 ladies in two cars, Estilo and Alto.

I was enjoying my drive in the Alto and lots of pics were taken enroute..... of sunrise, when we had tea in Kandukur (if i'm not wrong), in Dindi at breakfast, in Dindi at the reservoir.... the morning was beautiful. Dindi is about 110 kms from Hyd.

Then when we started for the ghats it was again wonderful although the sun was a little harsh... we were literally sitting on the road and taking pics just before the ghat section starts.... finally we started ascending and the twists and turns were exciting, so were the monkeys.....

Finally after crossing a check post at Mannanur, we reached the tiger reserve's gate where we clicked some good pics with the tiger (the unreal one obviously :-) ). After some good smooth roads through the forest we reached the road that takes us to the waterfalls (Mallelateertham). It was a muddy road (almost 8 kms, just muddy road with rocks and sand) with the car having to take a lot of strain..

Finally we reach and descend down (some 200 odd steps) and have an awesome time at the beautiful waterfall. This is unlike other waterfalls and looks very scenic and untouched. The water was very cold and it was lots of fun and a little painful to stand under it! But everyone enjoyed, thats important....

Then after spending almost 1.5 hours at the waterfall we started climbing those 200 odd steps to reach the top.... It was sooooooooooo tiring..... guess we all are growing old now.... :-)

We started frm there, reached the main road, took some snacks and started for Srisailam. From here the roads are mostly thru the ghats and the jungle. It was lovely, and suddenly Gerry and Rose decided to sit in the dikki and they had fun sitting there and waving at the other car in which my office friends were cruising behind.

Finally we reached the dam site, although the gates were closed, the dam and the reservoir on the other side are a great sight to the eyes....

We crossed by the bridge to the other side and started ascending again to reach Srisailam. Just 9 kms before Srisailam we had lunch, it was almost 2... Then finally wle reached the main Srisailam by around 3. The temple was closed and everyone decided to go to Patalaganga.

One not so good thing that happened was that one of our office friends wasn't feeling well, probably suffered from Motion sickness.... and he was vomiting for almost the last 20-30 kms to Srisailam.

Aft reaching Patalaganga, we took tickets for ropeway and boat ride. Only 6 of us went 4 guys and 2 gals, with 3 of them staying back with the unwell friend as he wasn't in a situation to come.

The boat ride was awesome as we all were sitting at the front edge of the boad, something like titanic, but we didn't stand :-) It was an awesome experience.... But we didn't go in the round boats, which I guess are also fun to go in but a little scary for ppl like me :-)

Aft having a good time there we started back for Hyd at around 6:15 and once darkness set in at around 7 it was an adventurous and a little scary drive through the forest with just the moonlight. You just have to experience this drive to believe it.... IT is really adventurous.

We encountered strange things on this way. At one place lot of ppl dressed like Sadhus were walking on the road, Madhu told us they were some bhakts. Rose thought they were naxalites :-) got a little scared. At another place a group of youngsters who had come in a sumo or safari were dancing in the middle of the junge aft parking their vehice with lights on and were shouting at cars passing by....

The ride back was good but once we descended from the ghats, the ride got a little bumpy as the speed increased and I missed about 2-3 speed breakers due to bad light and no road signs.... My friends at the back were cursing me for not spotting those speed breakers.... Sorry guys!!!, I guess I need to be a little slow and more careful the next time.... :-) The car took a lot of brunt, but brought us home safely.

I was just dying to get home and get on the bed. My eyes were sore as i slept for only 2 hours the previous night. Finally reached home at around 11.15PM and that was the end of an exciting, funfilled, adventurous and a tiring day. :-)
Old 28th February 2008, 08:13   #2
RCS

Any suggestions on driving to Srisailam from Bangalore ? I was given two options -- Bangalore-Kurnool-Srisailam and Bangalore-Nellore-Srisailam.
1. Which route is shorter ?
2. Which route is more fun driving ?
3. What are the availability of lodging/eateries in each route ?

Planning to go with family .... and BHPian friends are most welcome to join me !!
Old 28th February 2008, 10:40   #3

Nice to see you've enjoyed. I did the same route few days ago and enjoyed a lot. Where are the snaps ?
Old 28th February 2008, 10:47   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Biking trip pictures to Srisailam are posted at a friend's website HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE The boat rides were awesome
Old 28th February 2008, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Dude, I'm not sure how to upload. I'm new to posting in this forum. I got lots of pics.... Just don't know how to upload them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Any suggestions on driving to Srisailam from Bangalore ? I was given two options -- Bangalore-Kurnool-Srisailam and Bangalore-Nellore-Srisailam.
1. Which route is shorter ?
2. Which route is more fun driving ?
3. What are the availability of lodging/eateries in each route ?

Planning to go with family .... and BHPian friends are most welcome to join me !!
RCS- I'm sorry, I've never done the other route so I'm not sure abt how to reach from Bangalore.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th February 2008 at 17:06. Reason: back to back posts
Old 28th February 2008, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Dude, I'm not sure how to upload. I'm new to posting in this forum. I got lots of pics.... Just don't know how to upload them!
Hope this helps
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Abhi
Old 28th February 2008, 17:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good report saleem. Look forward to the pictures asap!
Old 29th February 2008, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Here are the pics!

Hi guys,

Here are a few of the pics.....

Old 3rd March 2008, 12:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. What i really like about the trip is the hundreds of monkeys you see en-route on the ghat section.
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:54   #10
BHPian

Hey isn't the road through forest closes by 6.30 PM ? You started back at 7.15 PM and were allowed to enter forest section ?
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
Hey isn't the road through forest closes by 6.30 PM ? You started back at 7.15 PM and were allowed to enter forest section ?
He mentioned he started back at 6:15PM below in his original message.
Old 3rd March 2008, 18:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
Yeah we started from Srisailam at 6:15. By the time we crossed over to the other side it was almost 7. The ghat section closes at 9PM and is closed till 6 AM. When you are going to Srisailam, you see some boards enroute before you reach Dindi. On these boards it is written about these timings.
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:38   #13
BHPian

More pics for my friends out here.....

In the second set of pics, the pic descriptions are as follows:

1. My friend's car passes by, just before the ghat section starts.
2. The road through the jungle.
3. The view from the top before descending down to the Mallelateertham waterfalls.
4. Descending to the waterfall.
5. Srisailam Dam with the gates closed.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd March 2008 at 19:46. Reason: Please use edit button
Old 3rd March 2008, 20:13   #14
BHPian

More pics :-)

Our cars from the top of Dindi reservoir.

This is the Mallelateertham waterfall.

my wife enjoying the ride at the back. Also sitting with her is my friend. I was driving the car.

The view from the ropeway station.

Dam view from the boat. The boat ride is awesome and takes you till some distance near the dam.
Old 6th March 2008, 18:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful dam!. Nice pics!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks