Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 08:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, can't imagine it is the srisailam highway, absolutely green. I should visit this place during next monsoon
Old 21st August 2008, 13:39   #32
BHPian

some more pics!

These pics are taken prior to entering the forest reserve area.

A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0757.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0759.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0766.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0805.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0816.jpg

that's my car, taken by my friend. We were in two cars, Alto and Zen Estillo.
A day's trip to Srisailam-dscn0825.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old 21st August 2008, 16:18   #33
BHPian

We were a group of 9 people and we had some pretty good experiences, some strange and a little bad luck while on our way back.

One thing that I noticed is that compared to 2 years back, the traffic on this route has increased significantly. But I would still say that this route is best for bike/car ride as there are no lorries or volvos plying on this road. Rarely RTC buses were seen, very rarely lorries were seen, volvos and other private buses I didn't see a single one.

I wonder why TeamBHP never set up a monsoon meet and a ride to this part of the state.

To continue with my travelogue, we reached Dindi by 9AM and had our breakfast there, which was quite decent. We started after half an hour, made a short halt at Dindi. The reservoir looked beautiful, with water level at a good level. Dindi I believe is kind of overlooked by travellers on that route, while I find the place very scenic and wonderful. The good part is I can take my car on top of that small dam like structure. We spent some childish moments, by trying to jump from the wall and take pics. There were some misses and those pics came out real funny, like caught in between the act.

We started from there in about 10 mins and as usual the drive was scenic all the way through. turned left and from there went all the way straight to the hill that would be climbing. Whenever I travel on this route, I make it a point to get down and take some pics on the road just before the mini ghat section. The view is wonderful as you can see in the pics above.

From there we started our uphill ride, and reached Mannanur checkpost within no time. Frm there we proceeded further into the reserve. Here is when the first strange or interesting, whatever you call it, happened. Suddenly as we turn at one of the hairpin bends, we saw people with rifles walking on either side of the road. And as we were passing them, almost everyone looked back and tried to see who's inside. My wife was terrified for a moment thinking they could be naxals, however, my friend and I felt they were policement in plain clothes.

I think after a recent incident in Orissa, the police have started looking out for naxals in a more aggressive manner. Overall, it was a terrifying moment for my wife and my friend's sis who were in my car. We didn't stop and continued with our sojourn.

Soon we reached the tiger reserve gate, where there is a facility to go on a Safari inside. Everyone agreed for that and we were taken in open-back gypsy inside the jungle. The ride was wonderful to say the least, as the jungle appeared thick and unforgiving. I'm sure no one would be able to go there at night time.

I will continue later. Time for office.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:55   #34
BHPian

some more pics from inside the tiger reserve and Farhabad view point

A day's trip to Srisailam-dsc01856.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-100_0480.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dsc01888.jpg

A day's trip to Srisailam-dsc01911.jpg
Old 18th June 2014, 20:44   #35
BHPian

Day Trip - Hyderabad to Srisailam

My parents were visiting Hyderabad and expressed a desire to go to Srisailam for darshan.

We left early Monday morning at 7am after a sumptuous breakfast at Purna Tiffins. Took the ORR and instead of getting off at the Airport and proceeding past the Novotel Hotel, kept driving on the ORR and got off at Exit 14 at Thukkuguda Junction and it is pretty much a straight road from there on, except for the bypass at Kalwakurthy. Even here, there are sign boards to ensure you are on the right path. The first check post charged us 10/- as thorough fare through the Srisailam Tiger Reserve. You have to provide your name, number and your vehicle's regn number. The second check post at the end of the route a few km before the Srisailam Dam Project will once again take down the same details and the guy will ask you for "chai paisa" of 10/-. Drove past the Dam (all gates closed) and drove up the hill on the other side of the river and reached Srisailam by 11am.

There are a lot of staying options here now (Didnt see many options for staying when I visited last in 2007). Most communities have a "satram" (choultry) where you can stay (with prior booking) and there are a couple of hotels on the outskirts of the temple town. Reached the community guesthouse and freshened up and left for darshan.

Apart from free darshan, you also have 100/-, and 500/- darshan options available. At the time of our visit, we were informed that it would take about 5 -10 mins for you to complete your darshan if you took the 500/- per head option but you would not be allowed inside the sanctum sanctorum. However if you take the Abhisekham option for 1000/- (for two people), you are allowed to enter the sanctum sanctorum and also get to pour water over the shiv lingam and touch it. The Abhisekham seva had a waiting time of about 30 mins on the day of our visit. After the darshan was complete, we proceeded back to the guesthouse where we were served simple veg food.

We started back at 2:30pm and reached Jubilee Hills checkpost by 6pm. We maintained a steady speed of about 80-90 kmph throughout the journey. The roads were relatively empty and the condition of the roads was smooth throughout. As already mentioned in other travelogues here, the eating options enroute are dismal at best, so you are better off carrying some food yourself.
f1dotcom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks