Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why not Wayanad,a travelogue and pics.

We have been thinking of going to Wayanad for a quite a long time.So what can be a better then to start the new year itself by a trip to Wayanad.Initially it was supposed to be a trekking trip to Chembra and some falls next day but due to circumstances we needed to cancel that plan and I had to take my car instead and I was actually quite happy about it.
So we started around 4.30 from my home and had to pick up my friends from her home.Around 5am we've hit Mysore road.Road was mostly empty but I was feeling bit sleepy so we stopped at CCD@ Mysore road.By the time sun also came out and all my sleep has just gone.Was constantly hititng 120-130kmph and soon we reached Mysore.Had a nice breakfast at Mylari hotel(a small eatery on Old Nazarabad road) though it didn't taste as good as it was last time.
Next stop was for a coffee break somewhere near Gundlupet.Road was good till gundlupet but after we crossed Gundlupet after around 4/5 kms the road turned bad.And it turned worse as we went further.The road was bad for a quite a long stretch (almost around 30km).But once we reached Kerala the road turned very nice and the drive was breeze.We stopped somewhere inside Muthunga to click some photos.
Plan was to reach Kalpetta by 11am and we reached by 11.15am around so that made our trip leader to have a smile on her face ;-) So after checking in to hotel (Thanks Riju for pointing out Hotel Haritagiri,it's a nice place) and freshening up we decided to visit a few places.First we went to Pookode Lake(around 13kms from Kalpetta towards Lakkidi).The lake was set on a beautiful surrounding.Although I liked the walk around the lake more then the boating part.
After that we went to Banasurasagar dam.While coming back we need to take a left turn for this place.The turn was around 4-5km ahead of Kalpetta.From that diversion it was around 20km drive through Tea-gardens.The route is scenic and very nicely laid.The dam itself is a very very beautiful place.From the parking one can either take a Jeep or walk around 1.5km.We decided to walk as walk would be more enjoying then a short jeep ride,and it was not a mistake.Spend quite a few time on that place.I really would've loved to stay till sunset but not sure if it's allowed and so we came back before sunset.There was a speed boat ride there(250 Rs) and though it was not very exiting we still liked it.

Next day first we thought will visit Soochipara falls but as luck would have it we misread the signs and ended up some other place which was around 25 kms away.Seems we had to take a diversion somewhere at Meppady.But that road was very very scenic with tea gardens lined up and that long winding road.Oh I loved that road but had to give the steering to one of my friend as she was hell bent on driving on that road But that gave me a chance to enjoy the beauty from the passenger cabin.After that we make course correction and decided to go to Kanthanpara Falls as we've seen the board mentioning about it(it was on the right side and around 2km from the main road).It's a small falls but we enjoyed the place a lot as there were very few people and we virtually had that falls just to ourselves.We ditched the idea of going to Soochipara and spend more time at Kanthanpara falls only.

We came back to hotel by 12.30 around and after lunch we decided to head back to bangalore.Tanked up the car at Reliance on Kalpetta.And on the way we decided to go to Eddekal caves.It's around 8 km detour from the main road(on the right-hand side if coming from Kerala to Blr).This time we decided to take the Jeep towards the base of the caves as I didn't want to get tired as I have to drive back to Bangalore.From the base it was around 300 mtrs of climb.But the place was too crowded and it took us long time to reach the caves as there were traffic jams all over the way.Probably Bangalore traffic nothing compared to that he he.We get back by 4.30pm around .Had some nice vinegar soaked gooseberries and masala soda on the way back.
We started our journey towards Bangalore soon.Seen a herd of Elephant on the way back somewhere in Bandipur NP and that's the only wildlife we could see on the whole trip.A break for some photo ops after we crossed Bandipur NP and a tea break at Gundlupet and then non-stop drive seen us through most of the road soon.We had a nice dinner at Kamat Lokaruchi but that dinner set us back by more then an hour.The place was full to the brink and we had to wait a long time.After dropping my friends at their places I reached home by around 12.30/1am.
Traveller's : 4 from blr in my Baleno and 1 from IIM Kozhikode
Total distance : approx 680 km. Fuel Consumption : 13.5kmpl
Road condition : Blr-Mysore : excellent
Mysore Gundulpet : Good
Gundlupet - Kerala Border : Bad but doable.
Kerala Road : Excellent
The place : Would like to visit once again,during Monsoon if possible.Still Chembra is unclaimed and Kuruwadweep untouched so I'll be back soon.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd January 2008 at 01:32.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics,kaushik!
I'm surprised the Mysore-Gundlupet stretch was good. Everytime I've been on that route,I've had a nightmare driving on those roads,or rather, so-called-roads. All that used to be left of it was a chunk of tar here & there.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
But once we reached Kerela the road turned very nice and the drive was breeze.

Gundlupet - Kerela Border : Bad but doable.

Its KERALA, not Kerela.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Beautiful pics,kaushik!
I'm surprised the Mysore-Gundlupet stretch was good. Everytime I've been on that route,I've had a nightmare driving on those roads,or rather, so-called-roads. All that used to be left of it was a chunk of tar here & there.
Thanks Nitin. I somehow find the stretch to be ok to drive yeah not very good but probably compared to the bad section after gundlupet this is much more drivable.Only issue is the traffic till Nanjangud from Mysore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Its KERALA, not Kerela.
Oops, sorry,corrected.Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Aah Kaushik, seems you are in a driving spree...Excellent writeup & Nice pics again, Yes Haritagiri Ecotel is a nice place, we too stayed there during our trip, the travelogue is below, we did do the Soochipara Falls...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-country.html

Abhi
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:29   #6
BHPian

I had skipped Banasurasagar dam and Kanthanpara Falls during my last visit to Wayanad..Your photos are really great that they make me to look at the calender for the next holidays
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

That was a good trip and a nice write up and ofcourse good quality pics. So sometime in future should plan on this road for its beauty around the places you went about.
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Abhi, yeah missed quite a few places.Will do it again with lil' more time in hand.And your travelogues were always of great help for me to plan my trips and actually there are few similarities like even we hired a cab first but ultimately I was able to take my car instead.
Thanks MenonRajesh, VJ_Maverick, yeah it's a must visit place.Will do it again probably during monsoon.Don't expect a Ooty like weather,it's quite warm in Wayanad may be the reason is that the sea is close by
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Hotel Greengates Green Gates Hotel, Wayanad, Kerala is another decent option to stay @ Kalpetta. Its very close to Reliance Petrol Pump. The best part is that bookings and payment can be done out of Bangalore itself. My stay there was quite pleasant.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:23   #10
BHPian

Beautiful photographs, Kaushik. I could sense some pp but very beautifully done nevertheless.

And a nice report too.
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good photos and narration. What was the camera model that you have used?
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:47   #12
BHPian

Beautiful pics kaushik, and a nice report too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
What was the camera model that you have used?
He uses a Canon 350D.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Thanks ChandraS1, Green Gates was bit on the costlier side when I checked in the net.So we decided to give it a pass.In the meantime tried Hotel Woodlands also,but those guys were very particular about their check-in time(initially we were supposed to reach early morning and they said they can allow check in only after 10am and I didn't find them very suitable)
@ Thanks Play-in, yeah, I did use photoshop the pics. I shoot RAW only and there is always a need to to do PP for color correction/Saturation and sharpness.

Thanks suraj and snaronikar, yeah currently using a 350D and waiting for the prices of 5D and 40D to come down he he..
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
In the meantime tried Hotel Woodlands also,but those guys were very particular about their check-in time(initially we were supposed to reach early morning and they said they can allow check in only after 10am and I didn't find them very suitable)
It was a good decision to go ahead with Haritagiri. I have stayed in these two hotels and would anytime rate Haritagiri over Woodlands;rates of these two almost being the same. Yeah, GreenGates is quite expensive comparatively, but offer a good stay have heard. I have had an overall glimpse of the place though.

Most Viewed