Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 01:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

California cruisin... Part 1

Its been a month now since I am in the US, and I have already clocked almost 2000miles on the road, and that too driving just 3 weekends.
This is the first of the travelogues.

The Planning
Without a car Amreeka can be frustrating. So we decided to take the plunge, rent a car for the weekend and go cruising on the california coast on a warm sunny saturday.
There was no plan, just an outline. See Santa Cruz, do the 17 mile drive and ride away to Carmel, watch the sunset and be back at night.
So after lots of online hunting, got a nice deal from Enterprise.
83$ for 2 days, all insurance and coverage inclusive.
At nine AM we reach enterprise rent a car, and I am greeted by a very friendly guy who smiles at us, and tells us that he is in a good mood and will give us a C-Class for 25$ a day more.
I decline without a second thought. First time driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and that too with a merc... now way, I would rather have the normal free upgrade, from a compact to an intermediate.
So we get the options. A chevy cobalt without any power windows etc., and Chevy HHR, a Toyota Corolla and A Ford Taurus V6.
First we check out the HHR. It looks like an ambassador. And from inside the view is a tight. The A pillars are too thick blah blah and the rear view has blind spots which can accommodate an 18 wheeler.
Not the car to take out when its your first time.
The Cobalt is rejected, now power, no central locking etc.,
So now its the Corolla or the Taurus. The Corolla is actually a full size car(rental speak), a step above, but since its old(35K miles) it was included in free upgrade choice.
We lean towards taurus, but seats are a little uncomfortable, and the car feels awkward. Never driven such cars, so its a little difficult to adjust.
So the remaining one is a corolla.
We sit inside, and feel at home.
Hats off to Toyota, I think in that segment, apart from Honda, its prolly the only car which can make a total newbie comfortable.
The controls are precise and intutive and it feels good.
So off we lift off back to the apartment.
I am trying to adjust to the absense of clutch, and trying very hard not to scare people on the road.
Slowly slowly I gain confidence, and then reach our apartment to pick up the day stuff.

The Trip
Well you won't see any on road pics. But if you seen movies you know what the freeways are like
The speed limit is 65-70mph in california, but cops ignore you upto 10mph above the limit. So I found a rabbit and stuck his tail at safe distance. Soon we reach santa cruz, which is a bit of a disappointment.
The beach is crowded, and a little dirty too. The good part is the sea cruise. Those blue blue waters and the seals!
Thats the sea

More sea

Seals!

Lots of Yatches around.

Around 4:30ish we decide to leave for the 17 mile drive. It gets dark only by 8:30 so we have plenty of time.

I am more confident now, and now partially subconsciously do the left right conversion.

17 mile drive is a paradise. I had seen it last year, but this place is such you can go there every weekend and not get bored.
The beach along the route

The car

More beach

Sea

Thats us(proof we went there, not just posting pics you know

More rocks

Next in line was the Lone Cypress tree. You will find this picture on the California Drivers handbook. And no I did not take that one though

After the lovely drive, we decided to head to Carmel, a nice little beach about which not many people know off.

Now that was some seriously nice beach. I should shut up and let pictures talk, what say fellas?

After that it was a short couple of hour drive back home. Tomorrow was another day, to Napa the wine country... well thats another story.

In two days 450 miles... not bad eh.
The next in line will be the 1260 mile trip, right to the sin city... watch this section!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th September 2007 at 08:25.
Old 7th September 2007, 02:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Thats great... I have half a mind to rename your thread to 'Picture Postcards from California'. That sunset looks amazing!

By the way where is the car you drove? You posted the beach (17mile drive) twice and on the second one wrote 'The Car'
Old 7th September 2007, 02:33   #3
BHPian

Gawd dammm those are BEAUTIFUL pictures. Mannn why am I stuck in Detroit. I've been in the US for the past 4 years and i've been to Pacific 1 only once. Enjoy your stay man. Enjoy sunny californiaa....its time you bought a motorcycle dude.
Old 7th September 2007, 03:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Whoa! Thats great... I have half a mind to rename your thread to 'Picture Postcards from California'. That sunset looks amazing!

By the way where is the car you drove? You posted the beach (17mile drive) twice and on the second one wrote 'The Car'
Fixed it now... Posting so many pics you see, you always get errors.
It was a 130bhp corolla, similar to the one here. Now rental companies do not keep the 175bhp one, which is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Gawd dammm those are BEAUTIFUL pictures. Mannn why am I stuck in Detroit. I've been in the US for the past 4 years and i've been to Pacific 1 only once. Enjoy your stay man. Enjoy sunny californiaa....its time you bought a motorcycle dude.
Expeeensive and you have to go through all sorts of driving tests. Not worth it since I am here for a short while. The primary aim is to get a California DL for starters.
Old 7th September 2007, 06:57   #5
BHPian

I hope you dont miss Yosemite
Old 7th September 2007, 07:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Tanvir, first picture comes twice. Please remove one.

Waiting for more to come. Great going!
Old 7th September 2007, 11:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great Pictures

Hai,

Those are great pictures and a short nice account.

I've been planning a coast to coast drive with a friend at University of Texas, Tyler for some time now. Your pictures and account speeded up the wander-lust some more.

Have fun,

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its been a month now since I am in the US, and I have already clocked almost 2000miles on the road, and that too driving just 3 weekends.
This is the first of the travelogues.

The Planning
Without a car Amreeka can be frustrating. .................................................. .......

In two days 450 miles... not bad eh. The next in line will be the 1260 mile trip, right to the sin city... watch this section!
Old 7th September 2007, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Terrific snaps. You really made the pictures do the talking, didn't you ?
Old 7th September 2007, 11:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

The vineyards in Napa and Sonoma are tempting. But be prepared to shell out $8 for wine tasting at each place.Don't miss Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. If time permits, you can also visit Reno from Tahoe--an hour and half of driving.
Old 7th September 2007, 13:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Pics Tanveer, I heard about the beaches from a friend but seeing it first time...Nice pics indeed !!

Abhi
Old 7th September 2007, 13:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pictures Tanveer. I esp loved the sunset picture. Keep them coming
Old 7th September 2007, 13:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, lovely pics. How long more would you be there?
Old 7th September 2007, 13:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai,

Those are great pictures and a short nice account.

I've been planning a coast to coast drive with a friend at University of Texas, Tyler for some time now. Your pictures and account speeded up the wander-lust some more.

Have fun,

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
Take Route 66 (most of it is I-40 now) and you will not be disappointed. If you have more time on hand then try the diversions that lead you to some good places present along this route. Best way is to pick up a good book on Route 66 and plan.
Old 7th September 2007, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics Tanveer. Carmel brings back great memories. Didi you know that Clint Eastwood was or is the Commissioner/Mayor of Carmel. CArmel is like another place in this earth. The branches on trees almost grow horizontally bue to the wind factor. They look like the hair style on one of Don Martin's comic characters featured in the Mad magazine.
Where else (which cities) are you proposing to go, maybe i could suggest some places to stop and visit and eat. Only Califronia or are you visiting other cities too. Have a nice trip... Have fun. Always buckle up.
Old 7th September 2007, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Awesome pics tsk and a nice write up. More pics please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks