Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 16:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Planning Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Take Route 66 (most of it is I-40 now) and you will not be disappointed. If you have more time on hand then try the diversions that lead you to some good places present along this route. Best way is to pick up a good book on Route 66 and plan.
Hai Tnx for the info,

We plan to drive from Chicago to Los Angeles; my friend is arranging the logistics there.

The borad plan is to cover 3200+ Kms with two stops, with 2 families, 8 people, will need a large SUV, evaluating options. Stops at Okhalahoma and somewhere around Santa Roas, New Mexico where we have relatives. The timings and schedules will depend on lots of things in 2008. Will need help then with lots of info from everyone.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

============
Old 7th September 2007, 16:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

My friend visited US & told me that no way he could get behind the wheels with such a disciplined people (driving) on job in road. He used to tailgate and play with horns.

Post some of the photographs of roads too

PS: U look smart in the photo uploaded n this thread. time to update the pic in ur blog

Last edited by Surprise : 7th September 2007 at 16:18.
Old 7th September 2007, 16:27   #18
BHPian

Tanveer.. you take great photographs. Your travelogues are very inspiring... The sunset pic is too good but the best one is the happy couple smiling.
Waiting for more pics and have loads of fun there in Amreeka
Old 7th September 2007, 16:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Tnx for the info,

We plan to drive from Chicago to Los Angeles; my friend is arranging the logistics there.

The borad plan is to cover 3200+ Kms with two stops, with 2 families, 8 people, will need a large SUV, evaluating options. Stops at Okhalahoma and somewhere around Santa Roas, New Mexico where we have relatives. The timings and schedules will depend on lots of things in 2008. Will need help then with lots of info from everyone.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

============
Dude,

Looks like by going to New Mexico you are missing on some of the wonders in Nevada and Arizona (Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon De Shelly). You should try going to these places, checkout some of the pics I have taken here

Picasa Web Albums - Deepak
Old 7th September 2007, 16:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

are you sure about the 10 mph over limit? AFAIK the cops are pretty strict and the fines pretty stiff. Lovely pics
Old 7th September 2007, 16:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

ultimate professional looking pics Tanveer

keep them coming

enjoy the stay
Old 7th September 2007, 18:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Dude,

Looks like by going to New Mexico you are missing on some of the wonders in Nevada and Arizona (Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon De Shelly). You should try going to these places, checkout some of the pics I have taken here

Picasa Web Albums - Deepak
Lots of pictures, 17 folders!!!!!!!!! Will check out tonight, the sunset looks great !!!!

Yes, it would be a shame to miss the Grand Canyon, I've been there, my famiy will have to see it.

Greg + family (my friend who teaches at Tylor) are interested in just the C2C drive, will depart at LA with the car to take the Pacific coast for extended holidays; we'll fly back to L.Vegas and do the canyon circuit, 5 days. There are large options, but time is limited.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th September 2007 at 18:22.
Old 7th September 2007, 20:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Those sunset pictures are awesome. So is Deepaks collection. Monument valley is creating some interest.

How is the speed enforcement in Nevada or on the Monument valley?

BTW, Enterprise offering a C-class Merc?! It was a bit surprising.
Old 7th September 2007, 22:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys thanks for the compliments.
Plan to do lots of california.
Till now done SFO(neighborhood), Napa and Berryessa, LVs.
Next on the list are Tahoe, Yosemite, Mount shasta(maybe) and if possible, "Death Valley".
There till first week of oct, so not much time you see, just around 3 weekends to travel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The vineyards in Napa and Sonoma are tempting. But be prepared to shell out $8 for wine tasting at each place.Don't miss Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. If time permits, you can also visit Reno from Tahoe--an hour and half of driving.
Well you need to know where to get it free. So first you go to Napa Town center and get a free map and book. Next stop sutter house. A good place for 5$ wine tasting is V Sattui.
Anyways Napa Travelogue is coming up next guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
are you sure about the 10 mph over limit? AFAIK the cops are pretty strict and the fines pretty stiff. Lovely pics
Upto 75 in a 65 is okay most of the time, around 70 in a 65 is always okay. If you have a rabbit you can do 80 in a 65. Just don't be a rabbit, follow the speeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Those sunset pictures are awesome. So is Deepaks collection. Monument valley is creating some interest.

How is the speed enforcement in Nevada or on the Monument valley?

BTW, Enterprise offering a C-class Merc?! It was a bit surprising.
Right after Primm when you enter Nevada its like a scene from Die hard. The Bel was screaming every couple of minutes. At first I thought false alerts, but then I saw so many people stopped! Many times I got blasted with an instant on(They aim the gun at the guy who they "think" is speeding, and then turn on the radar at around 500feet, by the time you react to the beeps, you are already history.
More on this on the Nevada travelogue.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th September 2007 at 22:30.
Old 7th September 2007, 22:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Terriffic pics!
I'm so ready for a vacation.. I broke my finger playing cricket & needed 2 surgeries to fix it..4 weeks of discomfort & intense pain.. I so wanna get away from here & go on a holiday..
California....hmm..next summer for sure!
Old 8th September 2007, 00:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Many times I got blasted with an instant on(They aim the gun at the guy who they "think" is speeding, and then turn on the radar at around 500feet, by the time you react to the beeps, you are already history.
More on this on the Nevada travelogue.
Thats where Bel Pro RX65 comes in handy. POP alert is really superb.
Old 8th September 2007, 03:18   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats where Bel Pro RX65 comes in handy. POP alert is really superb.
Pop alert weakens other bands detection, so most RD's including the top of the line Bel Sti and the fabled Valentine keep it off.
In my case there is no pop thing. The guy uses an instant on radar.
Which means he is sitting there hiding with radar off. The moment he things he has got a speeder he switches it on. So you get the alert, and buy the time you slow down 2-3 seconds he has a reading to nail you.
Old 8th September 2007, 09:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pop alert weakens other bands detection, so most RD's including the top of the line Bel Sti and the fabled Valentine keep it off.
In my case there is no pop thing. The guy uses an instant on radar.
Which means he is sitting there hiding with radar off. The moment he things he has got a speeder he switches it on. So you get the alert, and buy the time you slow down 2-3 seconds he has a reading to nail you.

Thats the sorry part of the story. But which one do you use 955? I have the services of the Bel RX65 (Which will get changed to 995 which will work on the Asian/Europian radars as well) Have you tried headlight/number plate masking by Veil (yeah it is not possible to do that on a rental car.) My Merc is masked!

Last edited by 1100D : 8th September 2007 at 09:31.
Old 8th September 2007, 14:02   #29
Team-BHP Support

Its a rental car. Rental cars are usually silver, and not matter what veil guys say, on a light color car its not very useful.
So I just follow the guy ahead of me and keep alert, thats enough.
Old 9th September 2007, 13:47   #30
BHPian

Great travelogue Tanveer! Wonderful pictures too! The beach and sunset ones are so professional, Well done!

Was the Corolla an A/T?

cya
A

Most Viewed