Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2024, 19:04   #1
BHPian

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai

Some trips are done for nostalgia and this one fell in that category. We first visited Meghamalai in the November of 2013 and wanted to rekindle old memories. We had great memories of the place and our stay. It offered a good drive, some unspoilt scenery, a stay with a view and good food.

What we had in our mind when we set out. We were going to be three cars, a Hilux, a Creta NLine and a Fortuner.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-meghamalai_dsc_0281.jpg
The Old Sandriver Cottage with our Thar (2013)

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-meghamalai_dsc_0083.jpg
The furry friend (2013)

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-meghamalai_dsc_0178.jpg
Ready and careful (2013)

The two pictures below are at the same place. The Thar in 2013 and the Hilux in 2024

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-meghamalai_dsc_0542.jpg
Thar on a bridge. Notice tea in the background

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02850bak.jpg
More dense today

The traffic on a Friday was expectedly bad as the Creta and Hilux drove toward Salem. We decided to break journey at Salem and instead of catching up on sleep, went around eating at twelve midnight at the 24 hour cafe at Grand Estancia, all the time promising that we would start early the next day.

The thing with drives is that somehow everything falls in place to make the drive possible and we did keep our promise of starting early. Roads were deserted and we made rapid progress. Both the cars were relatively young with respective odometers under two thousand kilometers. They got a good workout and also presented us with plenty of photo opportunities.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-whatsapp-image-20240907-09.03.54.jpeg
Traversing the plains

We had breakfast at Vedasundar, the local hospitality was top notch and the food was delicious. Thereafter it was a straight drive to Dindigul and then onto the Theni stretch which on that day was deserted. The drive went smooth and we hit Chinamannur. After labouring with vehicle checks and some emphatic head shaking conversation at the forest check post, we were on the climb to our stay in the hills. This drive needless to say was the highlight. Got to "Sandriver cottage" which was our place of stay and we were in for a shock. The place didn't look familiar even though we had very clear memories of the place. The tree was missing, so was the Malabar giant squirrel. I kept asking the caretaker in broken Tamil about the tree and the squirrel and he had a funny expression on his face. After much deliberation and discussion, we got to know that the original bungalow was elsewhere and this was another bungalow renamed as the earlier one. All this was done for logistical convenience as they wanted the stay options grouped together and my dreamy nostalgia of sharing meals with the squirrel came crashing down. But the present bungalow was very nice and overlooked the lake and the tea gardens and had all the good bits of a plantation bungalow. We quickly made ourselves comfortable as we waited for another friend to join us.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03086.jpg
The three car convoy

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-whatsapp-image-20240909-08.10.44.jpeg
After a drizzle

Such places have a funny way of making grown men do stupid things as we kept running around for pictures, heard stories of animals in disbelief and were so gluttonous that it gave the cook some creases of worry on his otherwise smooth forehead. We spent much of the afternoon staring at the vast expanse of tea and forests through high powered binoculars and saw nothing but the clouds and then adjusted the camera controls to shoot fast moving mammals and managed to only catch a lumbering peacock that looked quizzically at our enthusiasm. Took the Hilux out and went around on the tea garden trails and had a good time snaring pictures. The weather was sublime. We had a little drizzle with the mist playing hide and seek, making it an enjoyable excursion.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02953.jpg
A postcard setting

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02781..jpg
Soothing to the eye

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-whatsapp-image-20240909-08.08.52.jpeg
A cup of tea

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02794.jpg
Good views

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02947.jpg
dwarfed by the trees

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03014.jpg
Picturesque

The caretaker was full of enthusiasm and regaled us with stories of his encounters in the estate. A really touching moment was when the cook saw our photos from the ID proofs submitted and instantly remembered that we had come earlier many years ago and came by to see us. That felt incredible. A truly nice moment when Pushparaj surprised us with his smile. He was the cook who had been at the earlier bungalow in 2013 and was now doing duty at the newer one.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03091.jpg
Wet drive

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03107.jpg
Covered in mist

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03096.jpg
Fortuner disecting tea gardens

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc03039.jpg
A beautiful entrance

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02985.jpg
One has to cross this to get to the bungalow. Makes for a good stop.

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02888.jpg
Wondering what to make of it all

A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai-dsc02926bak.jpg
God's painting

Very few places can hold its beauty after a decade without taking a hit from tourism. I must admit that this place looked even better than when I first saw it thanks to the strict enforcement of no plastic and very little stay options.

But it was a reality check as we got out of the checkpost. There was plastic thrown everywhere, as if celebrating the freedom of no penalty, after the excruiciating difficulty of keeping a hill station clean. Sigh! We have a lot to do to prevent this land from becoming a large trash can.

Last edited by megazoid : 9th September 2024 at 19:06.
megazoid is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 19:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: A nostalgic drive to Meghamalai

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Thank you for sharing the wonderful travelogue with beautiful photos. Can you please share the details of your stay at meghamalai and how booking can be done there.
Kkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 12:43   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing (and keep driving and sharing the experiences too)

How were the roads, especially the last stretch towards Meghamalai? My information might be dated, but I do remember that the roads were reported to be bad couple of years ago.

Last edited by NPV : 10th September 2024 at 12:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 12:45   #5

Whenever I see a diary of a travel especially in the "Misty weather", It has my attention, I drop all my work and read it just to imagine myself driving down those beautiful roads and scenic sights and what was even more scenic was the picture of the back view of all three cars together on a slightly elevated angle. The Hilux on the bridge picture is a wallpaper worthy.
tofudriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 19:41   #6
BHPian

Simply awesome just loved every bit of the travelogue.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 00:05   #7
BHPian

Even without the tree and squirrel, it looks like a fantastic trip!

I have to say, the cars look incredible against that dreamy backdrop. Great photographs. The Hilux blends perfectly into the scene. Wish you many happy miles with your truck!
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 10:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How were the roads, especially the last stretch towards Meghamalai? My information might be dated, but I do remember that the roads were reported to be bad couple of years ago.
It was broken roads earlier, all good tarmac now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkumar View Post
Can you please share the details of your stay at meghamalai and how booking can be done there.
Please look up Briar accommodations at Meghamalai. Quite straightforward.
megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks