Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2024, 17:08   #1
BHPian

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy

After visiting Spain in 2022 and The Netherlands in 2023 solely using public transport we wanted to do something different this year. This time we wanted to do a road trip. I did my research and was influenced by Jash2709’s Austria travelogue shared a couple of years ago.

We got our visa appointment in January; since this was a self-planned trip I had to make the itinerary, hotel bookings & flight reservations. The appointment was at 8:00 AM, Trade Center BKC and we were one of the first people for the appointment. It took them about 1 hour to check our documents and take biometrics. The visa arrived within 12 working days.

Even though we had gotten our visas early enough, due to some personal reasons our trip was finalized towards the end of May.

We flew in and out of Vienna, the car rental was cheaper that way too. The Airport rental was a couple of hundred Euros more so I selected the Vienna Central Railway Station as the Pickup and Drop off location for the rental.

We were 5 of us traveling and I would be the only one driving, hence had to look for a big enough car that could accommodate us comfortably and our luggage. I went ahead with Sixt, the only car rental agency offering a 9-seater Mercedes Vito Tourer or similar vehicle. A 7-seater V Class was an option too but double the price of the Vito Tourer.

Since we had a vehicle at our disposal I looked for apartments and holiday homes in the countryside. All the apartments were booked and got my IDP from WIAA, Mumbai.

We arrived in Vienna on 18th July around 12:30 PM and immigration took hardly 30 minutes. We were out of the airport in less than an hour. We used the public transport system to get to the city and I had booked a hotel close to the Vienna Central Station. The rest of the day was at leisure.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5198.jpg
First evening in Vienna

19th July: Vienna to Tauplitz

We had some breakfast and headed to Sixt. Deep down somewhere I was hoping for an upgrade to the V class but they had a Vito in stock. The car was nice, had fabric seats and the essential Apple CarPlay built into the infotainment system. I checked the car thoroughly for scratches and dents and cross-checked them with the rental agreement.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5204.jpg

I have driven in the US extensively during my student days hence the transition back to LHD took about 30 minutes. Since this was my first time driving in Europe I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people driving and revised the road signs through Wikipedia.

We set off from Vienna and headed towards Melk a nice little town in the Wachau Valley. We visited the Melk Abbey and had lunch there.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5206.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5208.jpg
Melk Abbey

After that we headed towards Tauplitz. Our first stop for 4 Nights. Tauplitz is a small ski town about one hour south of Salzburg.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5219.jpg
Countryside single-lane roads of Austria

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5247.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5252.jpg
View from our holiday home

Upon reaching Tauplitz we realized it was a Saturday and grocery stores would be closed the next day. We hurried to the nearest Spar and reached 15 minutes before closing. That must have been my quickest grocery haul.

20th July: Salzburg

The drive from Tauplitz to Salzburg is scenic. The road goes via some of the famous lakes in the area like Lake Wolfgangsee. We visited the Mirabell Gardens, Alter Markt, and the Salzburg Cathedral, which was unfortunately closed for a concert. We headed back to Tauplitz in the evening.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5227.jpg
Lake Wolfgangsee

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5232.jpg
Mirabell Gardens

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5243.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5244.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5246.jpg

21st July: Hallstatt and Dachstein

The following day we headed out early to get a parking spot at Hallstatt, the closer ones get filled up quickly. We reached Hallstatt before 9:00 AM and secured a parking spot closest to the Village. The Village is picturesque but sadly suffers from over-tourism. It feels nice to walk around the town in the early hours.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5271.jpg

Post that we headed to Dachstein for lunch and I wanted to visit the 5 fingers view point. The hike to five fingers after 2 cable car rides offers incredible views of Hallstatter see.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5298.jpg

22nd July: Eisriesenwelt Ice Cave

I was not sure if this would be a hit or a miss but these are the biggest ice caves in the world and I would say they are a must-see when in Austria. The hike might be a lot for some. First, it is a 20-minute hike to the cable car and then another 20-minute hike to the ice cave. Then the ice cave inside has about 1400 steps (700 up and 700 down) and the temperatures inside are about 0 degrees.

Safe to say it surely was a hit. The hike is totally worth it in my opinion. It gets very cold in there so one has to come prepared.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5304.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5305.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5310.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5317.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5334.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5335.jpg

23rd July: Tauplitz to Seefeld (Via Germany)

This was more of a driving day since we were changing cities. The drive from Tauplitz to Seefeld went through Germany. The total driving time was about 4.5 hours. On our way there we stopped at Lake Eibsee for lunch, a beautiful lake on the border of Germany and Austria. We reached our accommodation by 5 in the evening.

Seefeld is a small town 30 minutes away from Innsbruck, close to the German border.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5347.jpg
German highways

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5350.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-2.jpg
Lake Eibsee

24th July: Swarovski Kristallwelten and Innsbruck Town

I was a bit skeptical about visiting this place, but for first-timers, I would say it is worth visiting. Later we visited Innsbruck town and explored a bit.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5368.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5436.jpg
St. James' Church, Innsbruck

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5439.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5437.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5438.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5223.jpg  

Jay_P2324 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 17:40   #2
BHPian

Re: 2600 Kms through Austria and Italy

25th July: Seefeld to Valdaora (Dolomites, Italy)

The drive from Seefeld to The Dolomites was about 1.5 hours. The rest of the day was at leisure. I had read a lot about the Dolomites and they are even more beautiful than I expected. It has the prettiest of lakes and villages.

26th July: Seceda

Seceda was about an hour away. The parking at the Seceda cable car was full, I had to look for parking elsewhere in the town. It takes 2 cable cars to get there and costs about 45 Euros per adult. Safe to say that the cable car ride is well worth the view.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5443.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5458.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5461.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5489.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5480.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5497.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5519.jpg

27th July: Lago Di Braies & Lago di Dobbacio

The initial plan was to visit Tre Cime di Lavaredo but we were late and the parking up there was full. We would have to hike for 6 kms to reach there. Everyone in our group was not up for the hike so we skipped it and moved on to the next destination. Lago di Dobbacio is a few kms away from the Tre Cime di Lavaredo.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-2.jpg
Lago di Dobbacio

When we reached the entry point for Lago di Braies we were told we had to purchase pre-paid parking. P4 is the closest parking space and if you purchase the parking online for €23, you get a €15 voucher towards food and drinks redeemable at one of the restaurants around the lake.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5554.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5561.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5585.jpg
Lago di Braies

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5595.jpg

28th July: St. Magdalena and Lago Di Carezza

St. Magdalena is undoubtedly one of the most scenic villages in the Dolomites. The parking is a bit far from the village, about 1.5 kms but we got there early enough to skip the early afternoon heat. We visited the Church in the village and it offered an amazing view of the Dolomites.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5601.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5611.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5607.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5616.jpg

To end the trip in the Dolomites, the best was for last, Lago di Carezza! One of the best lakes I have seen by far. I feel pictures do not do justice to the lake.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5650.jpg

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5647.jpg

29th July: Valdaora to St. Nikolai (Austria)

The drive from Valdaora to Vienna is upwards of 6 hours. Even though it is achievable it would be tiring, we would reach Vienna late in the evening and plus the car rental return would take some more time. During my research, I came across the wine region of Austria which falls in the southern side of Graz. I found a nice boutique hotel in a place called St. Nikolai and seemed like a perfect one-night stop.

We left Valdaora around 10:00 AM and entered Austria in about 30 minutes. Our first stop was Villach for lunch and we were covering distance quite quickly given that Austrian Highways have a speed limit of 130.

Reached our hotel around 5 in the evening.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5674.jpg

30th July to 4th August: Vienna

The next morning we started off for Vienna. Our last driving leg of the trip. Took us about 3 hours to reach the city, dropped off our luggage at the hotel, and returned the rental car.

2600 Kms through Austria and Italy-img_5678.jpg

The rest of the days we did all the touristy stuff, visited St. Stephens Cathedral, Schonburn Palace, St. Charles Church, Justizplatz, Austrian Parliament, etc.

As a driving enthusiast, I loved being able to drive on fantastic roads with disciplined traffic, the truckers knew what their lane was, cars didn’t honk much and everyone simply followed the rules.

Coming back to reality, I wonder when would India have such impeccable roads and disciplined traffic.
Jay_P2324 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks