Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2024, 23:21   #1
BHPian

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar

The Purpose
Ever since, we went to Aurangabad in 2018, Lonar was in our bucket list. Finally, we made it in this weekend. The trip was not just about Lonar but also about road trips, our conversation and driving. It was actually some sort of togetherness before the big bird leaves the nest for masters.

The Preparation
As usual, since I am planning guy, planned the entire itinerary detailing on route, toll, food, stay, sightseeing. However, I left a crucial bit unchecked, more about it later.

The Start
Easy Part
The convoy, consisting of father and two sons (minus the Home Minister, making this as “The Boyz” trip) started around 11 PM from Panvel, Navi Mumbai. GMAP’s first suggestion of taking Mumbai-Nasik NH 160 is omitted, thanks to the horror stories in Mumbai- Nashik thread and my recent witness of notorious traffic jams at Asangaon. We hit MPE in no time and get going till Talegaon toll gate. Instead of taking Chakan route to reach MNE (Samruddhi), we decided to trace our earlier trip through Ahmednagar. After negotiating innumerable potholes and change in direction through Pune city and outskirts, we reached Pune-Nagar section of NH 753F (which we will stick to reach Ajanta) and stopped to have a midnight tea.

Difficult Part
Pune to Aurangabad via Nagar was eventless except that road condition of Pune-Nagar section is very good and Nagar-Aurangabad is ok-ish. The contours of this road from mental map (from previous day drive) helped to have an anticipated drive. After a couple of chai stops, we reached Aurangabad outskirts by dawn and the rain gods welcomed us with drizzling first and then with heavy downpour while crossing the city and eventually with cats & dogs when we crossed MNE towards Sillod.

Dangerous Part
The rain was so heavy that we were forced to stop at few places since it was still early morning and visibility was poor. Aquaplaning was real danger and unpredictable road slopes were not helping either (a right side curve has water clogging on left side of the road). The sudden appearance of unfinished road sections I had encountered during my earlier January 2023 drive came to haunt and so the Toofan’s plying on this road. Once the visibility improved a little and after a wonderful early morning tea from a roadside shop (most probably the elder who had prepared the chai brought fresh milk of his own cattle from home behind the shop), we continued and reached Ajanta T point by 8:30 am, just 30 mins behind as per planning. Decided to freshen up and take breakfast at Hotel Ajanta Green, a little further away from T point. Breakfast was good.

The Culmination of Ages called Ajanta
After negotiating guides and shop keepers, boarded the bus to reach base camp and started our trekking around 10 am. This time I had downloaded and subscribed AllTrails app to experience it. The real boys covered almost all caves while I accompanied them and helped lone travelers clicking their portraits either against the backdrop of greenish hill or the historic caves. Ajanta during monsoon gives this dual effects of history along with its fantastic stories thanks to eavesdropping other guides and a river, some falls and hill with green cover as if we are doing mountain trekking. After caves, we went up to middle view point. Upon returning to base camp, had a nice lunch at MTDC Restaurant before embarking on return journey. Started about 2 PM and reached by 5 PM at The Aures Hotel after traversing the narrow lanes like Rangar Galli thrown on us by Google probably as a refresher training. The unfinished parts of road between Aurangabad and Ajanta still remains the same at all places per my 2023 Jan drive and they can be nasty for a first time traveler.

The stay at Aurangabad
Rooms at Aures are good but everything looked a little smaller, the passageway, room, lift, restaurant, parking etc. However, room service is punctual and other requests are promptly taken care of. I will give 4/5 if the need is just comfortable stay. For dinner we headed to Great Sagar restaurant but let down due to lack of parking. Security person telling us to ‘just park on the side of the road’ surely made us to drive to Karim’s (original Delhi 6 wala) a few meters away. Had a delicious dinner though Biryani was sold out.

Missed Road and Unmissed Lassi
Next day started with breakfast at Aures, a decent one. We started from Aurangabad about 1 PM to take NH752I (Aurangabad -Jalna section) and further connect to MNE. However, unknowingly we went towards Beed through NH52 for sometime. After realizing the mistake we course corrected quickly. Luckily there was a link road nearby. After reaching NH752I, we took pit-stop for both the car and us at Amristar Punjabi. We topped up with lassi and the car with Diesel. To the brim for both. Further took MNE through Jalna Interchange and exited at Dusarbid Interchange, traveling further through NH753C and the scenic SH51. Reached MTDC Lonar at 5:30 pm only to know that all trekking gates close by 5 pm. While planning I prioritized Ajanta as I know that it closes at 5, but didn’t check Lonar closing hours.

Lonely Lonar
Anyways, we roamed around and through one partial opened gate at top to just check out this marvelous impact lake. We went to Atharva Restaurant for an evening fresh-up but surprised to know that they don’t serve Tea or Coffee, though mentioned in their menu. The waiter explained the odd reason that they like to prioritize serving food rather than beverage. It was laughable as at that time, apart from us, there was only one other family group. However, we took Kanda Bajji which was tasty and generous portion. Little we know that there will be further disappointments. MTDC Lonar is nothing to write about with poor rating on all fronts. (MTDC Aurangabad during my earlier trip was very decent with good food). Enough to say, just avoid this in every way possible. Please mind that this is not bad but poor. The last disappointment came from weather gods with cloud cover ruining our plan for star gazing. On hindsight, realized that Lonar can be planned as a day trip from Aurangabad using Aurangabad-Dusarbid section of MNE in morning and also to comfortably reach back to Aurangabad Bibi-Ka-Maqbara for night light show.

The Return Journey
Beautiful Buldhana
On last day, after having Pohe and Chai, the only complimentary breakfast, we headed back. The SH51 section (between Lonar and MNE Dusarbid interchange, Buldhana district) is so beautiful, it resembles the Irish landscape, with green meadows, small ponds with all sorts of birds, a dark completely functional tar road laid through the hilly terrain and agricultural fields. The sunny morning with few clouds brightly shined through the glitters of tar.

MNE Experience
We entered MNE at about 9 AM and exited Sinnar Interchange by 11:30 AM. Traffic was sparse till Shirdi after which lot of cars joined and they are driven in such a manner to remind us that we are nearing Mumbai. The time saved through MNE is enormous. Once its connectivity till MPE is functional, probably we could have lunch at home. There were two odd opposite side drivers, probably a MSRDC utility vehicle and yellow board taxi. MNE has enough emergency median opening, but still these drivers decided other way. Trucks are driven with discipline but not truck drivers. Near Pokhari tunnel, there was a scary moment when a couple of truck drivers decided to cross the road casually and didn’t respond to visual and audible signals. It seems that there are some hotels which make these truckers to stop for food. Since we were coming from Nagpur side, we spotted them earlier. It could have been disastrous from other side of tunnel. To be fair, the amenities planned along the route are very poor. Two odd petrol pumps had food option that too for car travelers, I think. Also, didn’t see any Truck Lay-Bay. Didn’t see any buses, MSRTC or private. Road surface when compared to MPE is so-so. Towards the end, educated the boys about lack of brain adaptability wrt sense of speed while coming out of expressway on to lesser speed roads.

Naturally Malshej
To avoid Nashik – Mumbai mayhem and to enjoy the rest of the day, we had planned our return through Malshej ghats and the numerous ghat sections in NH60 between Sinnar and Pune. Had an early lunch near Sangamner and exited NH60 at Alephata on to NH61. After a scenic drive along Pimpalgaon dam and crossing numerous souls enjoying the impromptu falls in Malshej ghats, we stopped at one such falls to enjoy the tea of the day and to see how a grey footed langur enjoys the sight of lesser mortals. Ironically of all types of road we drove, Malshej ghat is where we saw innumerable ST buses. Further down from the peak till Chowk, we drove through all sorts of roads or lack there of. Beyond Chowk, we tried all tricks under the sleeve using GMAP to find ‘n’ ways for an easy entry into city but it greeted us with ‘n+1’ ways of traffic jams showing who is the boss. Finally reached home at 7, a 2 hour miss from original plan.

Some Reflections
> The strategic position of Daulatabad fort in terms of viewing the entire landscape is phenomenal just like the Korlai fort. This sight can be best viewed from MNE.
> AllTrails app which gave step by step direction but drains the battery in an alarming rate. Need more digging like the Mangoose.
> GMAP definitely needs some settings to stick to selected route. It changes the route by itself, though we could catch the deviation on time.

Stats and Epilogue
This 3 day, 1200+ km trip by a 2013 Diesel Figo car in multiple type of roads finally gave 18.2 kmpl FE. Onward journey till Ajanta gave 20.7 but MNE and ghat roads dragged it down, I think. Figo also crossed 130000 km mark with a smile and still ever ready to munch many more miles.
Attached Thumbnails
A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3591.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3593.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3612.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_0330.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3635.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3640.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3645.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3651.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_7dfa9c328f3e1.jpeg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3642.jpg  

A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-img_3634.jpg  

krrisdrive is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 11:23   #2
BHPian

Re: A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar

First of all, a beautiful journey in a beautiful car! As a resident of Aurangabad, here's my two cents on your stay here. Firstly, I think Google Maps kind of played a prank by having you go through Rangar Galli to get to Aures. When going from Ajanta, the route is relatively simple wherein you get to Harsul T-Point and then go via Delhi Gate, Commissioner's Office, then Mill Corner and instead of turning towards Cantonment you go straight to the Railway Station where there's a left turn to Aures. Secondly, Great Sagar (arguably) has better food than Karim's but indeed, they don't have much usable parking as their own vehicles remain parked in their parking and even we had to park on the road. A full-fat 3-4 day trip is essential to explore Aurangabad though, and yes, with some noticeable improvements, the roads still remain lacklustre. Hopefully you enjoyed Lonar and the whole landscape at Buldhana — it's a beautiful city to drive through.
idontdrivedoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 21:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivedoi View Post
Firstly, I think Google Maps kind of played a prank by having you go through Rangar Galli to get to Aures.
Yes, GMAP played a trick here. May be it thought I was repeating a drive to Hotel Maratha on this Galli years earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivedoi View Post
. Secondly, Great Sagar (arguably) has better food than Karim's but indeed, they don't have much usable parking as their own vehicles remain parked in their parking and even we had to park on the road.
Next time, Great Sagar it is, irrespective of parking or no parking.
Old 27th August 2024, 22:12   #4
BHPian

A quick update on route, if it helps anyone.

Stats:
A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-screenshot-20240827-9.59.178239pm.png

Notes:
The return journey toll is less due to return concession within 24 Hrs in MNE, I think.

Onward Journey:
A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-day-1.png

Return Journey:
A Trip to Ajanta, Lonar-day-3.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks