Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip

Pondy to Hosur – a No-Toll trip

In May we heard the news that my nephew’s (sister’s son) engagement function would be conducted at Hosur on 16th June. Usually Hosur and Bengaluru (no escape as wife’s sister resides here) are done as package tour whenever we travel in that direction. This time also I started planning for trip and as the function was in the evening on 16th, we could visit Bengaluru on 15th and come to Hosur next day morning for the function. Internally, though excited about the function, was not enthusiastic about the drive as it was usual drive especially now Tindivanam-Krishnagiri route had been constructed. As I was thinking of spicing up the drive, I heard the news that toll charges had been increased in the first week of June after the declaration of election results. Suddenly I got a flash that why not try to drive without paying tolls for this trip. Started checking GMaps for alternate roads (by selecting “Avoid tolls” option in GMaps) and found out it was possible. (writing in past tense because it might not be easily possible in future).
There are 4 tolls between Pondy and Bengaluru in straight route of Pondy-Tindivanam-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bengaluru (Hulimavu as SIL family lives here).I am not considering alternate routes via Vellore, Arcot as there is no way to escape from tolls.

1. Pondy Toll – easily avoidable through Poothurai Road
2. Krishnagiri – GMaps showed some alternate roads through some colonies in Krishnagiri. Since GMaps is not trustable in these cases, decided to try Rayakottai route
3. Aththipalli/Attibele and 4. Nice Road: Both can be avoided if Rayakottai - Kelamangalam-Anekal route.

After this plan, the trip had got some interest so as to eagerly look for the drive. But unfortunately, wife could not accompany me in the last minute due to some health issues and so I was to travel alone. As it was wife’s plan to visit Bengaluru on Saturday and Hosur on Sunday and since She was not in the trip, I directly decided to go to Hosur by skipping Bengaluru(my idea was to be at Hosur as early as possible as function was purpose of visit).
Until the day of the trip, I was in a dilemma whether to go as per plan (by not paying tolls) or drive usually way and postpone the plan for future. But decided to finally go as per plan. But instead of Tindivanam route (by avoiding Pondy toll), decided to take Villupuram route as I wanted to try different routes for to and fro. This route contains one toll on Villupuram – Tiruvannamalai Road for which GMaps showed alternate route which looked promising.

Pondy to Hosur (15.6.24- Saturday)

Started around 6 AM (No delayed start as wife did not come with me this time) and took Vazhudavur road to reach GT (Chennai -Trichy) road in no time. On GT road, I needed to take the service road and cross to other side and again service road towards Trichy side for a km. Next drove on Orathur Road and join with Villupuram -Gingee road. Took left turn and after a few meters turned right into a small road (as per GMaps but the actual road is little bit further) which looked like no road at all. Fortunately, it was drivable and further drove to join road after Adanur. Turning left will join with Villupuram -Tiruvannamalai road after the toll. Except for one place in Orathur (where needed to take diversion on a dirt road which Spresso crossed without fuss) entire roads in this shortcut was very good. Now on to Villupuram -Tiruvannamalai road as the road condition was very good (though not 4 lanes, tarmac was very good and wide too) also since the main traffic to Pondy takes Tindivanam route had very less traffic also. Reached T. Malai around 8 AM and took Breakfast at “Nellai Karuppatti Coffee”. Though tiffin varieties (idlis etc.,) were available, I took only Potato Bhajji, Onion Samosa and Medhu Vadai as these are banned in my house (For information all oil fried items are banned at my home so I try to relish them only on trips like this.)

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-1.jpg
Vazhudavur Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-2.jpg
Diversion at Orathur
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-3.jpg
Orathur Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-4.jpg
Villupuram-Gingee Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-5.jpg
Road but No Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-6.jpg
Interior Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-7.jpg
Interior Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-8.jpg
Villupuram Road after tollbooth
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-9.jpg
Villupuram -Thiruvannamalai Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-10.jpg
Breakfast

After 30 minutes break, started again towards Hosur. Crossed Chengam, Uthangarai and Matur in no time (Now Uthangarai by-pass in ready and usable). At Krishnagiri after joining with Salem-Bengaluru Road, took left exit under second flyover towards Rayakottai.

This stretch up to Hosur for about 60km was totally enjoyable and did not regret a single bit about choosing this road. It contained mixture of ghat road, forest road, village road, dirty road, 4 lane highway road and what not and with a bonus of less traffic. Though Krishnagiri toll road saves time (being 6 lane road) but scarry sometimes for small cars like Spresso to keep up to 3-digit speeds with others (though Spresso can easily cross 3 digits might not be safe for its size). Also, the bottle neck situation faced in Krishnagiri road is avoided in this route.

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-11.jpg
Rayakottai turn at Krishnagiri
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-12.jpg
Krishnagiri Dam on Thenpennai River
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-13.jpg
Rayakottai Road
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-14.jpg
Small Ghat portion

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-15.jpg
Rayakottai
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-16.jpg
Joining NH844
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-17.jpg
Dirt Road on NH844
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-18.jpg
NH844 under construction
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-19.jpg
Hosur turn
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-20.jpg
Approaching Hosur
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-21.jpg
Hosur Ring Road

Crossed the under-construction Neraluru-Dharmapuri (NH-844) on the way for few kms which has dirty roads in few places (but drivable). Reached Hosur around 11 PM (it took only an hour from Krishnagiri through the Rayakottai road) and attended the function next day which was arranged at Grand Continent on Bagalur road (good for small functions).

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-22.jpg
Hotel Grand Continent
Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-23.jpg
Underground Parking

Hosur to Pondy (18.6.24 -Tuesday):

Returned to Pondy on Tuesday starting at 8 AM and this time took again Rayakottai road. But after Tiruvannamalai took Gingee route (Gingee by-pass is ready and drivable now) and Tindivanam. Pondy Toll was avoided by driving through Poothurai Road. Reached home at 12.30 with 30 minutes break for breakfast.

Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip-24.jpg
Bypassing Pondy Toll via Poothurai Road

Summary:

1. All the shortcuts, interior roads were very good except the bridge construction at Adanur. Rayakottai road has little bit of dirt portion due to construction work on NH844. Otherwise, it was enjoyable (even dirt portion was enjoyable) with beautiful sceneries all around.

2. At present this route can be driven without paying toll even up to Bengaluru (depending on location) as I crossed Hosur junction, left turn though Anekal will lead to Bengaluru. Not able to drive up to Bengaluru was the only disappointment in this otherwise enjoyed trip.

3. Main search for alternate route came up due to bottle neck situations on Krishnagiri toll road. But once Bengaluru- Chennai new Express Highway (NE-7) and NH844 are completed, this situation might ease out due to less traffic in this route.

4. Observed 3 toll booths under construction between Krishnagiri and Tindivanam (Matur, Chengam and Gingee). 3 Toll booths coming up on NH844 (Palacode, Uddanapalli and one in Karnataka side of which Palacode is already operational I suppose). After all these tolls become operational, no-toll trip needs to be planned again in future which might lead to another less travelled road trip (if time is not constraint).

Finally, few words about Spresso (2022 K10B, MT):
In recent times few cars interested me to upgrade (money is non constraint).

1. Thar (only RWD): As I am not an off roader (like most Thar owners) and need to buy only for the show-off and image. But due to impractical nature of Thar (parking difficulties, limited luggage space, uncomfortable ride, petrol mileage etc.,) removed from the list (can be only a second car). Also, I feel it is not driver enthusiastic car (might be wrong) as many times I have overtaken Thar in my Spresso (it is driven like in procession).

2. Liked Jimny really because its anywhere anytime nature of design. But again, due to the off roading specific design (K15B engine, 4 Speed AT, 4WD etc.,) removed from the list. If it comes with RWD, K15C and 6S AT with rear AC vents, it could be considered but that will dilute the nicheness or uniqueness of Jimny. Also announcing rebates randomly not helping (it is similar to Chennai autorickshaws where one should be bargaining expert). In Pondy I had seen only one Jimny so far (it is a head turner really) and looked like big brother of Spresso but 3 times costly (of course with more safety, bigger engine etc.,)

3. New Swift 2024: Whatever people feel about the new Swift, for me, it is really cute in new avatar. Forget about 3-cylinder or 4-cylinder engine, it is Suzuki and it is Swift. Buy it and live peacefully for at least next 10 years and customers know this and that is why it sells well. Normal buyers don’t bother about no of cylinders or rather Turbo or NA (that is why Punch sells more than Nexon). Only thing bothers about Swift is that I am bitten by SUV bug already (by Spresso though it cannot be called SUV in the real sense) with high GC and bonnet visibility etc and thus Swift’s 165mm GC bothers me. I am still in dilemma.

4. I could throw Exter also in this pool as it ticks most of my requirements. In fact, in March 2022 if Exter had already been in the market, I might have gone for it with best AMT box in India at present (if I go for Auto mode even though I love manual cars but age will be catching up soon). But now the initial aurora is gone.

After all these considerations, finally when I drive Spresso (I normally use the car once in a month and in between spend time viewing other vehicles reviews), I always felt nothing else matches this car as compared to my requirements (Only 2 people and occasionally 3 when our son visits India). In fact, we three had gone on 10 days trip to Ooty, Kerala, Mysuru etc with enough space for our luggage. I had driven to Srisailam and Wayanad many times. Due to my wife’s interest in temples, I need to visit many small villages where only one vehicle can squeeze through and Spresso never made any complaints. Most of the relatives’ visits have problems with parking but not if Spresso is the vehicle. Ghat road! No problem. Less parking space! No problem. Heavy traffic! no problem. Hot summer! no problem. After nearly 2.5 years, still not a single niggle (not even Audio system hanging) whereas we hear stories about cars, costing double, triple times, had problems even while driving from dealership to home. Except for the slight concern about safety ratings, I have to thank Suzuki for giving Spresso though it might not have set sales charts on fire. In a way this also a niche product like Thar and Jimny.

So, time being I will watch only reviews.
kvsneela is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 13:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Pondy to Hosur | A No-Toll trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post
Pondy to Hosur – a No-Toll trip

In May we heard the news that my nephew’s (sister’s son) engagement function would be conducted at Hosur on 16th June.
Hi kvsneela,
Nice and unique travelogue!
I live in Hosur, and we used to travel to Cuddalore once or twice a year and very often to Chennai. Hadn't travelled to Cuddalore in the last 3 or 4 years since I'm pursuing my higher studies in Mahabalipuram. The usual route through Thiruvannamalai to Cuddalore used to be so bad until few years ago. Filled with potholes and bumps everywhere on top of it being a 2 way narrow road. The new road that has been laid down is really good and convenient. I'm at Cuddalore right now coincidentally and experienced this new highway for the first time yesterday and I must say, it has transformed so much for the good. Reached Cuddalore in 5.5hrs compared to the previous 6.5 hours!
revvingbeast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks