Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 00:17   #1
BHPian

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico

It has been on the back of my mind to go explore parts of Mexico on my Motorcycle. I see lots of people ride all over Mexico, but almost all the people I know would not want to venture here. I have been learning Español for 4 years now, I can certainly manage that aspect. So last week, I bought Mexico insurance for the weekend, and a hotel reservation at a random town that was after a 5 hour ride. It was a solo to San Quintin. I did not have the nerve to do much off roading, I mostly stuck to the highway.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-screenshot-20240624-11.42.00-am.png

Crossing the border into Mexico is rather eventless. You get the last US exit, you miss it - you are in Mexico. Lots of officials, lots of boards, but one cant make a U turn here.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240622_101343.jpg

Unexpected issues I faced. My mobile network warning about roaming, constantly quit navigating. I had to resort to listening to instructions through the helmet speakers. I never do this, and I had set the preference to Indian English, so she was butchering the Spanish names of streets so bad, that I could not understand a single word. I was lost in Tijuana. I pulled over, memorized the streets, put it in Airplane mode, and then got on the scenic highway. Gorgeous views.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240622_120057.jpg

The Tijuana- Ensenada highway is a toll road that is simply gorgeous. 110kmph, with ample warning signs for everything.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240623_121600.jpg

The driving culture of Mexicans is mind blowing. I did not hear a single honk for the entire two days. The streets of Tijuana, and Ensanada are jam packed. The traffic is insane and it barely moves. Lots of streets have 4 way stop signs. Everyone takes turns to cross. It is heart warming to see a 18 wheeler stop for a grandma and her grand child to cross a highway at a zebra crossing/pedestrian crossing. Bigger towns have over bridges, and I saw lots of people using them. They had stairs and no elevators.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240623_101003.jpg

La comida - the food. I have a thing for good mexican food. I can have them make it exactly the way I am going to love it. I watched the Mexico Jamaica Copa America match as I ate my dinner.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240622_114239.jpg

The roads south of Ensenada do not have tolls, lots of really small towns here. There are lots of vineyards and wineries here.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240623_100906.jpg

I am going to use these pictures to see if anyone else wants to go with me the next time I decide to ride south of the border. I did check out a couple highrise condos with ocean views. They are like $600K USD, not really a deal, but it goes to say how much of a demand ocean views have. If you cant see it, I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240623_120650.jpg

Closing with a panoramic picture.

A weekend in Baja California, Mexico-20240623_121649.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th June 2024 at 13:50. Reason: Rule #11. Thanks! :)
GutsyGibbon is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Re: A weekend in Baja California, Mexico

Wow brother. Trips like these are an inspiration. I am going on a road trip on my motorbike this weekend. Hope I am able to capture the trip on camera as well as you did.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 15:38   #3
BHPian

Wow... Simply Wow!
The last two pictures reminded me of the closing scenes of my favorite movie ' The Shawshank Redemption '

Cheers.
AB
coriollis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 16:44   #4
BHPian

Wow, that's amazing. I had an invitation from a Canadian friend to visit Acapulco, Mexico in Feb this year to attend the annual Anarchapulco festival. Domestic engagements kept me busy and thus an opportunity was lost..

Mexico appears great to Motorcycle riders. Will plan a trip to Mexico, rent a motorcycle and explore the country.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 18:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Mexico appears great to Motorcycle riders. Will plan a trip to Mexico, rent a motorcycle and explore the country.
I have seen rentals in Mexico city. Nothing in these parts of Baja. There are tours and rentals in USA who take people down to Baja. I am sure you can do some digging on the internet to find what you want.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 25th June 2024 at 18:03.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 05:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful! Any offroading possible on the iconic Baja routes? Also, since you mentioned food - how much better it is than the Tex-Mex we get in the USA?
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 08:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Beautiful! Any offroading possible on the iconic Baja routes? Also, since you mentioned food - how much better it is than the Tex-Mex we get in the USA?
I did see many groups going off road. I didn't plan any routes. As I was solo, I didn't venture too far off road. I have a moto jack to pickup my bike, but didn't want to test it.

Yeah mex food in Austin and San Diego is pretty good. The best fancy mex food I have had is Mexico City. Baja is alright, nicer places are expensive as there are lots of Americans visiting. I am not a fan of seafood, which is supposedly good in Baja.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks