Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 20:00   #1
BHPian

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village

Leaving behind the art, history and culture of Vienna, it was time to fulfil one of those long-nurtured dreams. It had been many years when a particular and very familiar picture of Hallstatt triggered the wanderlust in me. Probably I don’t have to tell you which picture that is, and if you search Hallstatt on Google, it is definitely going to come up in the results. (Don’t worry, I have clicked the exact same picture, bear with me!)

Reaching Hallstatt from Vienna
I checked out of the hotel in Vienna at 5.30 AM and started walking towards the Wien Hauptbahnhof station. It was a cold and windy morning, and the warm layers were failing to keep the wind off me. I truly underestimated the temperature outside but the joy of taking the train to Hallstatt and finally experiencing the place with my own eyes was clearly winning! Another 10 minutes of walk later, I grabbed some croissant and coffee from Anker and boarded the OBB train for 6 AM. Typically you won’t find a direct train from Vienna to Hallstatt. There are one interchange trains via Attnang-Puchheim which takes about 3.5 hours to reach Hallstatt. The high speed OBB trains would drop you at Attnang-Puchheim from where you will need to board a regional OBB train (less fancy, sans the WiFi and gizmos) to Hallstatt.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7132.jpg
The train to Hallstatt

At 9.30 AM sharp, I got down at the cute little train station of Hallstatt. As I exited the station, I could already see the Hallstatt Lake, and a ferry waiting to take the passengers to the other side of the lake. However, call it my stupidity, I had to reach Obertraun first!

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7160.jpg
Hallstatt Train Station

Obertraun is like the twin town of Hallstatt. Little did I know that a train station exists at Obertraun as well. When I found out, it was too late to cancel the train tickets. I figured; I will take some public transport after getting down at Hallstatt to reach Obertraun. Since the Hallstatt town is quite small, the railway tracks were laid on the other side of the town and one has to take a ferry to reach the main town. And thus, no public transport exists at the train station apart from the ferry. With no option left, I started walking the 2 km stretch. I won’t deny, the views were extremely appealing, but the walk felt like forever, given I had to pull my trolley.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7166.jpg
The way to Obertraun

Pro-tip: If you are going on a day trip or chose your stay in the main town (which is super expensive btw), you can book your train tickets till Hallstatt. If you are staying the night(s) and booked your stay at Obertraun, do book your tickets till Obertraun!

Staying and Getting Around
40 minutes into the walk, I finally reached Hotel Haus Am See. In spite of putting in an early check-in request (which they agreed during booking), the person at the reception denied saying the rooms are not ready and recommended I should go visit the town.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7172.jpg
Hotel Haus Am See

I freshened up, walked round the property, got a view of the lake (yes! The lake is huge and is accessible from Obertraun too), I went ahead to catch a bus to Hallstatt. I paid 2.5 Euros and 30 minutes later, I was dropped at the Hallstatt bus stop. The quiet vistas of Obertraun were quickly replaced by chatters of hundreds of tourists from all corners of the globe. After a quick stroll aimlessly and catching on some lunch, I headed to the Salzwelten Funicular, which would later take me to the Hallstatt Skywalk and the salt mine. One can get a 40 Euros ticket to visit both these places along with the round-trip funicular ride.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7187.jpg
Hallstatt Funicular

There’s a hiking trail too I heard, which one could take to reach the top of the hill. While the hike would certainly offer more breathtaking views and satisfaction, it would also be prudent to save some time and energy to explore the salt mine later. Nevertheless, I was quite excited to ride the funicular like a kid.

Hallstatt Skywalk
As I got off the funicular, I climbed few more stairs and after another 200 steps or so, I was finally at the Hallstatt Skywalk.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7205.jpg
World Heritage View

Perched high above the charming village of Hallstatt, the Hallstatt Skywalk offers an exhilarating experience that caught me in awe. This breathtaking viewing platform, aptly named the "World Heritage View," extends over a sheer cliff, providing a stunning panoramic view that stretches across the tranquil Hallstatt Lake and the quaint, picturesque houses nestled along the shore. As I stepped onto the platform, the sensation of floating above the magnificent landscape was sinking in, and my DSLR went on a happy spree of capturing the breathtaking vistas around. The Skywalk is not just a vantage point but a gateway to the heart of Hallstatt's natural beauty, offering visitors a perspective that truly captures the essence of this enchanting village and its majestic alpine surroundings. Unfortunately, there was a crazy rush to click photos/selfies at the Skywalk, so after waiting for some more time to get lucky with an unobstructed view, I kind of gave up.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5931.jpg
Boats of Hallstatt

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5936.jpg
Houses perched along the shore

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5943.jpg
More Boats!

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-fullsizerender.jpg
Yours Truly

There’s also a restaurant just before the skywalk. This place, also known as Rudolph’s tower, holds significant historical and cultural importance in Hallstatt. Originally built in the late 13th century, it served as a fortification to protect the valuable salt mines from potential invaders. Named after Duke Rudolf I of Austria, who commissioned its construction, the tower provided strategic defence for the region's salt mining operations, which were crucial to Hallstatt's economy and development.

Hallstatt Salt Mine
Next up was the Hallstatt salt mine. I had heard great review about the salt mine during my research of Hallstatt and figured it’s a must do thing while in the town. I have never visited a salt mine in my life and was all in for this adventure. The entry to the salt mine is a 5 minute’s walk from the skywalk.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7227.jpg
Entry to the Salt Mine

After getting my ticket validated, I proceeded to meet the guide for the day, Joseph. I must mention here that the salt mine tour can’t be done without a guide and are typically done in batches. Joseph was an extremely funny young man, with a thorough knowledge of the salt mine, and part of my amazing experience at the mine was because of him. We were given the miner’s uniform, which we had to wear to save our dresses from being damaged. Perfectly dressed as miners, it was now time to enter the mine through the Christina tunnel and go back in history.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7240.jpg
Ready to mine some salt!

The Hallstatt Salt Mine, known as Salzwelten, offers a captivating journey into the depths of history and geology. Dating back over 7,000 years, this ancient mine is the oldest in the world, providing a unique glimpse into the origins of salt mining. As you venture into the subterranean tunnels, it does feel like being transported through time, enabled by engaging narratives and immersive exhibits. The salt mine is also where a 3,000-year-old body of a miner was discovered in the salt, all perfectly preserved.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7270.jpg
An underground theatre

As we proceeded through tunnels listening to the lucid narration of Joseph, it was time to go from one level to another – in a miner’s slide. Joseph instructed the group about how to slide perfectly. Though I felt a bit nervous initially at the thought of sliding, I took the plunge anyway and loved it. These slides were actually used by miners to go from one level to another. Talk about “make work fun”. However, if you are faint-hearted, you can safely take the stairs to go down a level. The second slide, going down to level 2 from level 1, was even more challenging and faster. The distance was about 64 metres and the slant felt almost like 45 degrees. If you feel fidgety about taking a photo during the slide, this one has got you covered! There’s a camera which takes automatic pictures of your slide and you can buy the same at the reception for 8 Euros. Although I took videos while sliding, I bought the picture anyway as a souvenir. The salt mine is also home to the oldest wooden staircase in Europe, preserved by the salt for millennia. Finally at the end of the tour, we were transported back to the daylight by a miner’s train. How cool is that! Given a choice, I would do the salt mine tour again, and I highly recommend this tour as it is an unmissable experience for any visitor.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7253.jpg
The Miner's Slide

Hallstatt Town Square
A postcard perfect town – with a lakeside promenade, surrounded by the towering Alps mountains, cute wooden houses with flowers hanging from the windows, and an adorable town square. That pretty much sums up Hallstatt! With the salt mine tour done, I quickly grabbed a scoop of Mozart (yes you will literally find his name everywhere in Austria, even in ice-creams!) and started strolling towards the Hallstatt town square. I couldn’t get enough of the houses, how beautiful they were, with their colourful walls, the wooden roofs and a rich palette of flowers hanging from every balcony. Oh, and all of them have a lake view too!

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7307.jpg
Colourful houses everywhere!

In another 5 minutes, I reached a small and pretty town square, which probably is one of the prettiest in Europe (if not the prettiest). Also known as the Marktplatz, the town square is a vibrant testament to the village's rich history and enchanting charm. This picturesque town square, adorned with colourful 16th-century houses, creates a captivating scene that feels straight out of a fairytale. Each building is a piece of history, now home to quaint cafes, charming shops, and inviting eateries where you can savour local delights. The focal point of the Marktplatz is a beautifully ornate fountain, around which locals and visitors gather to soak in the lively atmosphere. Seasonal flowers, festive markets, and cultural events add to the square's ever-changing tapestry. On the other side of the town square is the Evangelique Church, which apart from being an integral part of Hallstatt’s history, is also a piece of the familiar Hallstatt picture, which I talked about at the beginning.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7308.jpg
Hallstatt Town Square

Gosaumuhlstrasse View Point
As I left behind the town square, I started walking the incline on the Gosaumuhlstrasse. It seemed as if the street is diverging from the lake, and few bends later, I found myself at an elevation from the town, and there it was, the most searched and sought after view of Hallstatt. With the stunning views of Hallstatt Lake on one side and the majestic Dachstein Alps on the other, this view of Hallstatt is like that perfect postcard. The towering spire of the Evangelique church, the houses doting the shoreline, the cruises on the lake, everything about this view is magical and mesmerizing. I was glad that I could see this place for real and could tick it off my bucket list.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5963.jpg
That Famous View

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5947.jpg
One of my favourite clicks

Parish Church of the Assumption of Mary & Charnel House
Every narrow alley in Hallstatt almost always leads to a spectacular view. One such alley took me to the Parish Church of the Assumption of Mary. The history of the place appeared interesting to me and I decided to visit the place. However, it was a hard time finding the way to the church. At the verge of giving up, I decided to try for one last time and started looking meticulously for any street sign leading to the church. Suddenly I stumbled upon a small street sign, and a five-minute hike rewarded me with one of the most breathtaking views of Hallstatt Lake from the terrace of the church. This beautiful Gothic church, dating back to the 12th century, is quite captivating with its intricate woodwork, stunning frescoes, and serene atmosphere and I guess this made me fall in love with small, traditional churches blessed with old world charm.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7328.jpg
A beautiful view from the terrace

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7325.jpg
Remembrance

The church is also home to the Charnel House, where about 1,200 skulls are painted with floral motifs as a sign of love, and the name and date of death of the deceased inscribed. This interesting tradition started in 1720 when the small town of Hallstatt ran out of cremation space and it was decided that the existing graves be opened 10-20 years after the burial to make space for the new. The skulls were then cleaned and bleached, painted with the floral motifs and placed in the Charnel House. The last skull placed in the Charnel House in 1995, on the personal wish of a lady who passed away in 1983. Her golden tooth is still visible in the skull. As on date, a personal testament needs to be made if someone wishes to be placed in the Charnel House.

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7334.jpg
The Charnel House

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7329.jpg
The tradition

As the evening dawned, it was about time to leave this charming town behind and take the bus to Obertraun. After the day’s unforgettable adventure and thousands of steps later, my back and legs needed some deserving rest. The town of Obertraun sleeps very early so I caught on a quick dinner at 9 pm at the only pizzeria next to my hotel. The next morning, as I prepared to continue my next leg of the trip, I caught on some quiet time by the shore before heading to the train station. The excitement was even higher as Prague beckoned!

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_7360.jpg
Catching on some tranquility

Video Link:
Attached Thumbnails
The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-img_5918.jpg  

meetarin is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 20:15   #2
BHPian

Re: The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village

Gorgeous postcard pictures OP!
Makes me wanna visit this place ASAP
QuentinTino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 23:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinTino View Post
Gorgeous postcard pictures OP!
Makes me wanna visit this place ASAP
Thanks a bunch! Trust me, it is actually gorgeous and you must plan soon
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 07:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Halstatt is one the best towns to visit in Austria. And I am glad we could visit this place a decade back. The memory is still fresh. And yes we also thrived on public transport!

Mostly people visit the main towns like Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck etc. The real fun is staying in the country side or smaller towns. In this specific case, if you can stay in Lake District for a few days you can visit all these places.

Like you said you can do a*day trip from lake disctrict. You can go till Obertraun, visit Dachstein and come back to see Hallstatt and return. We could finish all in a day at leisure. But yes I will gladly add another day.

One of the most beautiful places indeed!
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 11:13   #5
BHPian

This place is truly mesmerizing. Its almost 9 years since we've visited there. We didn't stay in Hallstatt. We stayed in a quaint village which was a 30 min drive from Hallstatt. That place was much quieter with landscapes which were just as beautiful - minus the throngs of tourists. This was on Lake Attersee in a village called "Nusdorf Am Attersee" in the Salzkamergutt area. Attaching a couple of pics. The cold lake waters looked too tempting to not have a swim and then followed by a wonderful house brew

I'd go back in a heartbeat

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-attersee-2.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2024 at 17:03. Reason: addtion; removed alcohol image. Please check Rule 11 of the forum
JayKavadi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 12:23   #6

A very well written and documented travelogue, Kudos!!
We visited Hallstat on 29 Apr 2024. We stayed at Salzburg and took bus-train to visit Hallstat and return the same day. Here are some pictures of the world's prettiest town as captured by yours truly.The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_104553.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_105208.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_113144.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_113734.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_114504.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_120353.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_125133.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_131450.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_132110.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_143545.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_151339.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_155020.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_155426.jpg

The European Sojourn Part 2 – A Day in Austria’s Prettiest Village-20240429_162659.jpg
AudiFan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Great place and pics, looks to be out of dream world!
red_hot_punto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 00:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Halstatt is one the best towns to visit in Austria. And I am glad we could visit this place a decade back. The memory is still fresh.
Wow, I didn't know there's a Lake District in Austria as well! I agree the real charm is staying in the smaller towns and I absolutely loved Obertraun in this regard. Hallstatt was too crowded. And yes, I would definitely add more days and love to live life at a slow pace for some days! I have this ambitious idea to take 4-6 months sabbatical and travel. Let's see when my bravery gets the better of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
This place is truly mesmerizing. Its almost 9 years since we've visited there.
The lake water seems to be really inviting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiFan View Post
A very well written and documented travelogue, Kudos!!
[/ATTACH]
Thank you! You took some beautiful pictures as well, and the memory must be very fresh in your mind now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hot_punto View Post
Great place and pics, looks to be out of dream world!
Thank you! Yeah I loved the place. Unfortunately the place is suffering from overtourism now, with people having low regard for the local customs. And sadly, I saw some people from our country too, behaving unruly and shouting :(
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 07:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Wow, I didn't know there's a Lake District in Austria as well! I agree the real charm is staying in the smaller towns and I absolutely loved Obertraun in this regard. Hallstatt was too crowded. And yes, I would definitely add more days and love to live life at a slow pace for some days! I have this ambitious idea to take 4-6 months sabbatical and travel. Let's see when my bravery gets the better of me.

Here is a log by one of our very own!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...k-austria.html (A week in Austria!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 01:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here is a log by one of our very own!
Beautiful t-log and beautiful pictures. Austria seems to be much less crowded back in 2016! I had also planned for Wachau and Melk initially but couldnt fit into my plan. Looks like it was a dear miss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks