Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2024, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach

Having climbed the Ooty stretch too many times, the inclination towards taking that route has lessened. Was thinking of riding towards Kerala in my thoughts along with the concerns on constant weather reports about cyclone/thunderstorms and early monsoon. But kept those thoughts aside and decided to go ahead, but to where? I was thinking about riding to the beach side. The nearest beach is Vatanapally beach which is 135 Kms. Since I have driven towards Kochi multiple times, wanted to avoid the same route. Finally decided to drive north this time to Ponnani Beach.

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-route-00.png
New Route

All set, we started a bit late in the morning as we knew that we would be back by evening. The weather was good, not sunny, a bit overcast and windy. Secured with a riding jacket and a tail bag with some essentials, we started. The plan was to take a break for a quick breakfast and then continue and reach Ponnani by Noon, spend some time there, have lunch and then return the same route by late evening.

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-ride-starts-01.jpg
Rider Couple (Trying to-be one)

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-rider-straight-02.jpg
Straights for rider

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-stomach-break-03.jpg
First break, at regular place

Rain Twist!! As we finished and started from our first break, we saw the clouds coming down at us and we were riding right into the middle of it. Decided to secure our mobile phones and wallet inside the tail bag covering it with rain protection. Then started towards the thundershowers, we could see the cloud coming down at a distance.

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-clouds-coming-down-04.jpg
Clouds coming down

Just 5 minutes into the rain, below jackets, we were completely drenched including our shoes. We took a small break inside a tea shop for a few minutes. The rain started to reduce but not completely. Gathering the courage to continue, we moved ahead for some more distance, but this time the rain was in full glory. Visibility was very little, and we decided to stop for some time and took shelter inside a bus stand on the highway.

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-rain-god-no-mercy-05.jpg
No Mercy!

Looking at the cloud, we contemplated for some time if we could continue any further. But I could see the clouds breaking and clearing out in the distance. We decided to continue and see if we can conquer ahead. Once the rain slowed, we again started and moved ahead with some courage. As we crossed Kuthiran tunnel, the sky opened, and we were in bright sunlight.

In no-time, we reached Trisshur. We followed the route as per our Navigator (Google Map – only for rides, for rest all the person sitting behind &#128522. First time we were experiencing the narrow and curvy roads inside Kerala city, gazing at all the homes (Bungalows) on the way, truly fantasy world to say.

I truly appreciate the off-roading capabilities of the bike. Though I am not an off-roader, I can say with confidence that I was able to take the bumpy road and bad patches comfortably and bike handled it well. There were many places where we had many potholes and patches with waterlogged between Eranallur to Chavakkadu. Soon, we exited to NH66. Brand new roads (10 lanes, If I am not wrong). Smooth surface and open roads, raced ahead towards our destination. Just before Ponnani, there is a Nayara Petrol bunk, we took a bio-break and well needed tender-coconut. After spending half an hour there, we again started towards the beach which was 8 kms from there.
Destination reached!

Parked our bike at a safe spot, removed our shoes and socks to put it to dry. Strolled through the beach and took a seat under the beaming sun on the rocks.

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-rock-front-05.jpg
Rock in the Front

Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach-destination-06.jpg
Parting Shot

Spent some time there discussing the return trip. Since we came through narrow roads and bad patches, we wanted to cross it before dark and started from there accordingly.

Once we crossed kuthiran tunnel, we stopped for a break to have some snacks (PazhaBhajji, chips and tea). Then started towards home and reached by 19:00hrs. Overall, it was a new experience into the unknown landscapes, town and riding styles.

Finishing thoughts on bikes performance. It was solid all the way and was able to handle any kinds of patches and roads, gliding over potholes and undulations. One thing I noticed was the suspension flatted out on a couple of occasions. This I had heard on a few of the ride review blogs on Youtube. Having a pillion, seems we need to adjust the load in the rear accordingly. But otherwise, the bike is solid to take us anywhere.

Till next time, thanks for making till here!
silverstreakcbe is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 23:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Weekend getaway - Ponnani Beach

Thanks a lot for sharing this. My father is from Ponnani and we used to visit the beach often when I was a kid. It used to be walking distance from my grandparents house. Unfortunately I haven't been there in the last two decades, as we don't have family there anymore, but this picture brings up old memories and inspires me to make a trip there.
the.dogfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 21:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
The nearest beach is Vatanapally beach which is 135 Kms. Since I have driven towards Kochi multiple times, wanted to avoid the same route. Finally decided to drive north this time to Ponnani Beach.
Looks like a nice and enjoyable ride for you guys! Chavakkad beach is usually the popular destination from Coimbatore, but good that you guys decided to pick a different one.

Quote:
Once we crossed kuthiran tunnel, we stopped for a break to have some snacks (PazhaBhajji, chips and tea).
Tsk..tsk... Calling it Pazhabajji this side of Walayar is a strict no-no! Pazhampori is an emotion you know!
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 09:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Looks like a nice and enjoyable ride for you guys! Chavakkad beach is usually the popular destination from Coimbatore, but good that you guys decided to pick a different one.

Tsk..tsk... Calling it Pazhabajji this side of Walayar is a strict no-no! Pazhampori is an emotion you know!
Will remember Sir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks