Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2023, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more

Trip to Gujarat from Pune-Visiting Statue of Unity and more

Dear BHPians
Wish you all a merry Christmas and a very happy new year 2024. This is my experience of visiting Gujarat and covering Statue of Unity and cities like Surat, Vadodara and Ahmedabad. Since I started from Pune I've had split this journey into multiple trips to avoid fatigue and also enjoy the beautiful highways that's been built by our country! TBH it was a dream to drive on these beautiful roads and one which would stay in my memory for a real long time!

Note- Respected Mods, even though there was a thread for Pune to Statue of Unity I thought it would be apt to create a new thread since my trip was not just limited to SoU but to other parts of GJ as well.

Day1-Pune to Vadodara
With all the hotel reservations already completed and luggage packed and loaded it was ready to start our trip. We decided to commence our journey post midnight owing to heavy traffic snarls we face in Pune regularly which ruins the whole mood. Sadly, still there was traffic even post midnight(Saturday night fever) since my residence is at Koregaon Park which has too many clubs and pubs and what not which is heavily crowded by youth during these party nights and man, their driving is pathetic, especially those nasty 2wheelers who try to impress their GFs by excessive speeding even though they ride just an Activa, my only resort much to their frustration is blowing horns and flashing high beams and yes even I abhor causing noise pollution during late night hours but I've a strong paranoia against these squid riders and didn't want to spoil my much awaited trip for these idiots. Anyways, exiting city was quite a nice affair due to thinner traffic and we entered the Mumbai-Pune expressway almost 45minutes after we started from our residence, sadly even though it was past 1AM there was heavy traffic(mostly heavy vehicles) hogging all the three lanes and I had to repeatedly brake, honk and flash, wait for side, complete the overtaking manoeuvre, only to repeat this all over again. While in this so called "express highway" all we could do with our powerful SUVs is 100kmph max even in arrow straight sections else we would be slapped with heavy fines in addition to hefty tolls we're already paying, it makes me question is all this toll worth it? The surface quality of this express highway leaves a lot to be desired for, the already coarse concrete pavement has become even worse with multiple cracks and endless expansion projects and diversions has made this road even worse for our prized possessions, even though this express highway was the state-of-the-art 23years ago when it was first opened, traffic has increased EXPONENTIALLY and its nearing its full capacity, Maharashtra and MSRDC once seen as pioneers for road infrastructure in India has seriously lagged behind in expanding road network properly keeping in mind with rising traffic, be it city roads, state highways or express highways and this comes from a person who was a diehard fan of MH only for its farsighted vision in building world class roads. Even though my roots lie in JH a better part of my life is spent in MH and seeing this state stooping down day by day is making my heart sink in grief.

Anyway, coming back to the journey my first stop was after Talegaon Toll Plaza at the HPCL COMCO pump for a refuel and stretch since I wouldn't be stopping anywhere else after this.

Refilling with HP TurboJet instead of my usually preferred Shell V Power, I know it may sound a bit childish but I've a bit of soft corner for this fuel, yes you read that right, for a fuel! Reason is the ad campaign which HP aired circa 2004 showing a Safari DiCOR(my childhood dream SUV) getting TurboJet and turning into a beast, would be attaching the link for the ad for the folks who don't know or perhaps not remember about this fuel.
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-photo20231225111930.jpg

The YouTube link for the ad!

After a small break and feeding some of street friends present there with biscuits I proceeded with the journey. The rest of the expressway was quite uneventful and boring, all I could spot were scores of Ertigas, WagonR and Celerios both yellow and white plates. The monotony was broken only when a Porsche Cayenne appeared out of nowhere and zoomed past at about 180kmph, perhaps a man owning an expensive Porsche and other super expensive luxury cars don't bother for multiple speeding tickets worth 2000INR each but for poor corporates like us it just ain't worth spending a fortune for momentary pleasure(Just a few days ago spotted a Bentley Continental GT and a McLaren just flying at 200+kmph only to get stuck at the Talegaon Toll Plaza). God, I wish I were so rich!

Due to thinner traffic crossing Sion-Panvel expressway too was a relatively easy affair and entire Thane was quite deserted too although due to the ongoing metro projects the roads had become a nightmare, so uneven that I felt bad running over them beyond 40kmph. As I said earlier MH is making me sad with each passing day.
Exiting Thane wasn't an easy affair since the Versova Bridge was crowded with overloaded and underpowered smoke belching trucks. Although once we cleared out of that patch and re-entered the smooth NH48 the surface improved quite drastically, very few potholes and black topped asphalt roads dialled the road noise down quite significantly, also since the traffic had become thin and trucks were mostly maintaining middle lane I could speed up and thanks to excellent high beams creating an almost day light vision I could confidently maintain triple digit speeds for long stretches. Soon crossed Palghar, Vapi, Daman&Diu, Dadra&Nagar Haveli and entered GJ at maybe 4AM early morning although since I was moving towards west it still felt midnight. When the sunrise finally occurred at about 7AM we crossed Bharuch and nearing Surat, took a small break to wash my eyes and enjoy the sunrise and continued the journey ahead.

This part of Golden Quadrilateral passing through GJ was in excellent condition and could easily put to shame our MH express highway. Entered Vadodara at about 11AM, an excellent city, neither too big nor like a village, extremely well organised and little to no congestion even during peak hours of a weekday, I could only imagine what would it've been if it was Bombay or Poona.

Checked into the hotel, freshened up, had a heavy lunch(Pure veg as Gujratis are experts in that and man was it delicious!). Took a long snooze of 10hours(much required after being awake for the entire previous day and night). During the evening after I woke up ,got down, inspected the car, patted and thanked it for transporting me safely and comfortably and enjoyed the cold evening of Baroda, re-ignited my excitement for tomorrow, the Big Day for SoU visit, had a light dinner and called it a day.

Day2- Visit to Statue of Unity

Had already booked slot for express entry and Sardar Sarovar Dam view ride previously as was recommended by Sir libranof1987 in this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...s-do-more.html (Pune/Mumbai to Statue of Unity - Route queries, things to do and more).

After having a heavy breakfast at the hotel set out for Kevadia, and onto the Gujarat state highways, again butter smooth asphalt roads with proper lane markings and guard rails with sparse traffic.

En route Statue of Unity
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-img_6371.jpg

You cannot enter the SoU campus directly, you need to park your vehicle at the designated parking spot which is chargeable at 50INR for the whole day. A small suggestion to the authorities though, since SoU is a tourist attraction and witnesses heavy rush of tourists there is an influx of huge number of vehicles and the parking space which even though is large can run out of space in the near future and also since its open causes the cars to heat up like a tandoor, so it would be apt to create a multi-level elevated or underground parking space, nobody would mind paying more for it if they can afford buying tickets of multiple points here.

Once you park you need to walk till the entry point where there are quite a few shops offering refreshments if you so require. From there you can go till the SoU area via the shuttle A/C bus facility(although the buses aren't in best of condition and I suspect these are old GSRTC buses) or via e-autorickshaw, the latter is chargeable as they're privately operated, we decided to opt for the former since we had only express entry tickets for SoU and boat ride, if you've multiple points like Dino Trail, Cactus Garden, Jungle Safari etc it would be wise to get the rickshaw since they're always at your disposal and offer point-to-point connectivity.

Once you enter the campus there is a separate entry route for the express ticket holders with separate frisking and X-Ray areas, one word of caution outside food is PROHIBITED and we were warned since we carried some biscuits and cup cakes although they were kind enough to allow us to carry them and didn't threw them away. There is a food court inside the campus and you can get whatever you crave for including Starbucks for the affluent people among you, also worth mentioning there are multiple washrooms(which are extremely clean and hygienic) and drinking water counters. Do remember though you need to walk quite a bit for the museum(almost a kilometre) and I advise you to sit and relax frequently and consume copious amounts of water. Once you enter the museum though its fully air conditioned and for the history buffs among you this place is a paradise since you get a lot of info to consume not only about Sardar Patel but also about India's freedom struggle, I for a moment found myself back to my class 8 history lessons(TBH I never liked reading them and was often scolded for dozing off in class!).

The shuttle bus
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-3bc894fa0ede47bc96d44c23b4b8f26a-2.jpg

Here, he is our Iron Man of India stands tall at 182m(almost 600feet!!), I'm a liliput in comparison at just 182cms!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-8735849eed704869870af3ab496bb022.jpg

After viewing the museum, one would reach the elevator for viewing gallery and this is where you'll feel spending a fortune on the express entry tickets was worth it, while scores and scores of people with normal tickets wait in long queues for hours you're granted the entry instantly and pass the huge crowd in a flurry which makes you grin (like Mr Bean) and granted the first entry to the elevator although those with the normal tickets will also enter the same elevator with you and you get stuffed inside in a corner.

At the viewing gallery through guarded rails you get to see the whole SoU campus and a glimpse of the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-c0eaa0dcd9fc4954ac044d07a83cf2ba.jpg

Once you're done away with the viewing gallery you can again go outside the museum, take escalator and witness the statue from absolute proximity!, and again enjoy the whole SoU campus and the Narmada river.

We decided to take some rest at the A/C museum, exited from there, went to the foodcourt, grabbed a bite and headed to our dam view ride. It was excellent to say the least, you get to sit in a jetty and at the max there are 5-6 people on board including a guide. They take you near the Sardar Sarovar Dam and you get to appreciate the actual dam from proximity and even see those massive gates(30 in total, 23 normal and 7emergency), its even surreal than the dam view point!, also they offer you some complimentary snacks which was a cherry on the cake!, also I could spot a little crocodile snoozing off on one of the rocks, bonus I would say!

Close-up view of dam. Surreal!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-0676c116d95e455ab082d37645a1097c.jpg

The baby croc snoozing. Too cute!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-2e792b800aa4419db31e8c7c1110b091.jpg

The total ride lasted for an hour which we thoroughly enjoyed! Now it was almost 5:30 in the evening and famous laser show would start only a hour and a half later and its included in the express ticket itself(another benefit of buying express tickets, its an all-in-one pass of SoU), we decided to head back to hotel since we were quite tired and had a long day the next day too. The return journey as usual was uneventful through the smooth albeit unlit highway although who cares when you've powerful lights, while other cars with their poor headlights barely lighting up the road ahead and moving slowly, my SUV allowed me to have a daylight vision and carry triple digit speed through those smooth tarmac. Returned to hotel, had a nice dinner and called it a day, excitement for next day notwithstanding!

Day3-Vadodara to Ahmedabad

After an exciting though tiring day, woke up fresh the next day, fuelled with excitement to drive through the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway, left the hotel, en route filled up the tank with my Tucson's regular and favourite diet(he has somehow a liking for expensive oils and fuel! ), the Shell V-Power, also found out the DEF was at half mark, so got that filled up too(a 5L can was sufficient), special mention to the staff, extremely well-behaved and explained why one should always use a fresh pipe while filling DEF, a perfect start for the day!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-545500d21b414462910f7737a8049b5c.jpg

Soon entered the NE-1 or the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway and what a road it is! Expressway at the truest sense with a fat surface with nil imperfections or undulations with smooth black top asphalt, it literally felt like running on some runway surface(my childhood dream whenever I sat on an airplane always wished to drive down such a road), the traffic was sparse too and also the toll rates are so reasonable, less than half of the Mumbai-Pune expressway( I don't know what MSRDC are smoking they charge so hefty tolls and can neither give us a smooth tarmac or a traffic free experience, I know the geography is treacherous and traffic is very high but you collect billions everyday and anything is possible with money, I won't take a single excuse of them). Words or pictures absolutely can't justify this expressway, one needs to experience it for real!, also work is going on at full swing to connect it with Delhi-Mumbai expressway via cloverleaf interchanges, toll plazas and ramps are completed, just the expressway itself needs to be complete, I hope its completed soon!

The expressway, black topped smooth stretch of tarmac with minimal traffic, an absolute drivers' delight!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-14e140d39e59471e85a4040e31242c7c.jpg

Thanks to expressway we reached Ahmedabad in no time at all and visited the vintage car museum, this place had around 112 cars and some motorcycles ranging from rare British, Italian and American cars and even a few vintage Mercs and a 1978 BMW 7er (my personal favourite) and a HM Contessa! There was a vintage 1941 Indian motorcycle too!! One could even get a ride on one of these vintage cars by paying a small fee, since we had more points to cover we opted against it and just took a stroll, clicked a lot of photographs of these cars, appreciated the engineering behind them, bought a scale model of a vintage Merc and left the place. Some photographs for viewing pleasure!

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-7a4a19a4df5a4b348ca5684606ed489e.jpg

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-12e5eaffa36143479261cc449f952110.jpg

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-36db1df6d8d544df8b1a995015ad5d0c.jpg

Many of the senior members of our forum might've had these in their family. My grandpa had this in exact same colour, maybe its the same car, who knows?
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-794f455f77fe4c59b56df76484cec72c.jpg

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-9897039fcb4f4889a610a746db8b317b.jpg

Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-8c299523de5a48a5a1542fc338146d10.jpg

This particular car instantly reminded me of an old Hollywood movie The Car(1977), actually quite scary of a car and has that killer vibe in it
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-c0639d0f66d64abcb80824620c67b656.jpg

My personal favourite, so sad to see newer Beemers going absolutely hideous with their front grille spoiling the look of their whole car, also a small trivia, do you all remember a car used in Bollywood which had a similar license plate number, MH01M37?
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-a001e9724e384907849b69999d1be7fc.jpg

After spending a joyful time at the museum we went to visit the Sabarmati Ashram which TBH didn't turn out as exciting as I thought, for one, its in the middle of the town and Ahmedabad being the biggest town of Gujarat had quite a bit of traffic and again full of mismanaged 2wheelers who just didn't pay any attention to the roads, signals were defunct and nobody seemed to cooperate and even the police personnel when present didn't have a particular aversion to people jumping signals and taking wrong turns. The Sabarmati Ashram itself was quite small and parking space was in serious shortage since it was basically a small ground and mostly filled with tourist cabs, somehow managed to squeeze in my SUV in a tight space, the Ashram itself was nice but I found it a bit boring not that I'm a history buff at the first place but also the fact that I've visited Aga Khan Palace in Pune which is very near to my residence and contains almost the same information as it was presented here, also somewhere in the back of my mind I was worried about my Tucson in that tight space, clicked a few photos here and there and left and my fear came true, there was not even an iota of space to take out my SUV, requested a few car drivers to move back and forth, thankfully they all co-operated and I could successfully squeeze out my Tucson without bumping into any other car and get this, the place my SUV occupied was immediately taken up by 3tourist cars parked almost without any gap!!

En route spotted the most prestigious management institute of India, the IIM Ahmedabad, its a dream for many students to pursue MBA from here and if any reader here is an aspiring student I wish he/she makes it to here and become successful corporates in their life
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-afb978ba92b94692a0c21b42bf493cd3.jpg

As a cricket fan, also visited the Ahmedabad Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium and even though India lost the prestigious ICC World Cup, we should take it sportingly and appreciate that the best team won and we got to watch one of the best cricket matches of all time!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-5367dc5b87f04ef89be56c73996845d5.jpg

We also got to see the Atal Foot Bridge, which was another engineering marvel we just stopped, admired it but didn't take a stroll on it since it was now almost dusk and we needed to return back to Vadodara too, decided to have dinner in Ahmedabad itself, unfortunately peak time traffic showed its ugly head in Ahmedabad and we could somehow find our way to Palladium mall which had jam packed parking, although we could find one spot. Again had pure veg dinner and even though wished to enjoy the full mall we couldn't since it was already past 8, quickly exited the mall but sadly Ahmedabad traffic slowed us down like a snail, also there were numerous diversions adding to our misery and traffic seemed to be too insensitive and didn't give us pass for diversions even after liberally using blinkers and horns, at last I lost it, switched off the A/C, and used my hand to ask the drivers to stop and let me pass, phew! After about wasting an hour to pass the traffic gridlock we finally entered the Ahmedabad-Vadodara express highway which seemed no less than a saviour to us!

The expressway although a bit more crowded than what it was during the daytime allowed us to speed up and I managed to maintain triple digit speeds for a good part, one thing I noticed since this expressway is just 4laned and when trucks hog both the lane, the faster moving traffic tends to use the emergency shoulder for overtaking manoeuvres, whether its right or wrong I don't know, I avoided doing so since many stationary vehicles do park at that shoulder and it could become very dangerous in that case, only when the lanes were completely occupied and truckers denied me pass, after a lot of precautions and seeing other vehicles completing the manoeuvre I decided to do it a couple of times, hopefully NHAI soon widens the expressway to at least 6 or better 8lanes since once it gets connected to Delhi-Mumbai expressway it'll see a huge increase in traffic and I really don't want to see it in a congested state like we see the Mumbai-Pune expressway of late.

Entered Vadodara late night and called it a day.

Day3- Vadodara to Anand

Today was a bit of a rest day and we took the things slowly, woke up quite late next day, got freshened up and had a heavy breakfast and relaxed in the hotel room. Our plan for today was to visit the Amul's plant at Anand. A few points here, you need to book slots beforehand to visit the plant, its free but you need to book the slot prior. Secondly, photography of any kind is prohibited inside the factory due to security reasons, you can carry your cellphone along with you but don't use it inside the factory, outside the factory you can click photo/video no issues whatsoever. The slot given to us was 14:00-16:00hours and since Anand was just 35kms from Vadodara we left at a lazy 12:30, reached Anand, had a wonderful Gujrati thali(very delicious and sweet which is what a sweet tooth like me always craves for), parked the car in the Amul factory and visited the plant where a guide beautifully explained all the facilities and the way different milk and milk products are produced and packed.Although it got a bit over the top after a while enjoyed it nonetheless, the guide could answer everything whatever one could throw at her, I got so carried away I forgot to ask a question which has had given me sleepless nights since childhood, what's the name of that Amul girl who is often seen with celebrities, sportsman and cricketers and has remained a tiny cute girl since eternity, if anybody knows please let me know! Sorry I didn't click a single photograph as I left my cellphone in my SUV. To end the visit perfectly had an ice cream from the factory outlet itself which tasted delicious as always! There was even a museum of Sir V.Kurien, the man who brought White Revolution in India, took a brief tour and left Anand. Today took the old NH48 instead of expressway and wasn't disappointed, surface quality was decent enough without any potholes and little to no imperfections.Reached Vadodara in no time, entered the hotel, took some rest, had some nice Chinese and called it a day.

Day4-Vadodara to Surat

Today's plan was to visit Surat and stay over the night. Checked out the hotel and left from Vadodara (already started to feel bad since it would be a long time till I do a revisit, one of the best cities I've seen in India!), the drive was quite uneventful and we entered Surat near the Hazira route after 4hour continuous drive, visited the Surat Airport which I've to say is one of the most organised airport I've observed, the approach roads are wide and so clean, its hard to believe that this very city was once hit by plague. Pune badly needs a similar airport since the current airport couldn't just keep up with the ever growing air traffic and in general Pune badly needs a total revamp with proper planning, good wide roads, efficient public transport and a stop on infinite construction activities and excessive blooming of corporate offices, this ain't the Poona I know and have spent my childhood in.

The Surat International Airport. Hope so, Pune gets something like this soon
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-1de01e4c4fe741c38dbb92d150a2fe12.jpg

Next we visited the Surat Diamond Bourse which was recently inaugurated by our Hon'ble PM and is claimed to be even larger than than the Pentagon spanning more than 67lakh square kilometres! Things like these make sense or no I don't know neither I've the right to scrutinise them but one thing for sure it makes me more proud as an Indian!
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-e3273904d6f4411d9bfa2ccaabef2352-2.jpg

We checked into Surat's hotel and even though my car got an underground parking I didn't like the vibe of the hotel, nothing really bad but I can't say it directly, the area where it was located was near the Surat Railway Station, the folks from Surat would get this by now but those who aren't all I could say is it was a bit religiously sensitive area, my disliking may also be due to fatigue I don't know neither I had the mood to figure it out thus I decided to take rest for some time.

During the evening took an auto-rickshaw ride across the whole city and bought some sweets as souvenir(really wished to buy some good diamond jewellery for my mother but couldn't really afford a nice set and my mind didn't want to gift my mom something just for the sake of it). Had a light dinner and called it a day since I know it would be a rather long day tomorrow.

Day4-Surat to Pune

Even though fatigued started the day early at 6AM skipping breakfast since I anyways didn't vibe with the hotel although they were kind enough to wash and clean my car, paid the bellboys tips and left off for Pune by 7:30AM. Exiting Surat wasn't easy especially due to the area I chose to stay was near the Railway station and bus depot there was heavy traffic especially of three wheelers giving two hoots to other vehicles and giving a damn to traffic rules, had to again liberally use horns and flashers, didn't wanna create noise pollution early morning but those fools didn't leave me with a choice.

After exiting city and getting on the highway, briskly covered 60kms or so and decided to take a fuel-cum-breakfast stop. Pulled over at a pump where there was Burger King, had something to fill myself up and consequently tanked up my SUV with diesel too.

Rest of the journey was quite uneventful, traffic was quite sparse which allowed me to carry some good speed and quickly cover some good miles, also en route crossed the Surya Bridge where sadly the high profile accident of Sir Cyrus Mistry took place costing his life. Upon crossing the bridge I fully could re-create the situation in my mind, yes I agree there is a serious design flaw in road design and proper boards with fluorescent markings might've helped but it ain't that much of a worse design which couldn't had been noticed beforehand and hence prevented, believe me I've seen even worse designed highway patches where the highway from a smooth 6lane converts to 2 or even single undivided lanes without any sign or signal, while driving in India its a pretty common thing and one needs to be extremely attentive and patient while doing such overtaking manoeuvres from the wrong lane else just wait, honk and flash the relatively faster moving truck, wait for them to give you a gap, check your ORVMs twice, complete the manoeuvre and move on. Till this date, feel very bad for loss of such a great personality for such a petty, easily avoidable mistake. Silence.

Once we entered MH, it started to show its ugly head, Versova bridge was badly clogged up and entire route was filled up with bumper to bumper traffic till Thane, all our good average speed we managed went down the drain. Thane, Navi Mumbai too were excessively crowded and like I mentioned earlier the roads were in very poor shape, not at all expected from the richest state of India. After being stuck at every junction and signal and navigating through the entire city and nasty traffic we reached the final homestretch, the Mumbai-Pune expressway, since I was driving from more than 8hours continuously, decided to take a break at the Khalapur food court, which was excessively crowded with traffic, somehow managed a parking spot, stretched a bit, grabbed a bite, freshened up, also got the N2 checked and was relieved to know that the tyre didn't even lose a single point during the whole trip and maintained the perfect pressure.

From that point, the onward journey was a NIGHTMARE to say the least, the Khandala ghat was fully clogged and all I could see were scores of vehicles with their angry brake lights on and even though the heavy trailers were pulled over to the side, it made little to no difference to the situation, all I was doing was staying stationary for long periods of time on this so called "express highway" ironically near a board screaming loudly "DO NOT STOP ON THE EXPRESSWAY". Being stuck on the expressway especially on the ascending steep slope on the ghat took toll on many vehicles which pulled over the side and popped open their hoods, some cars were so overheated (perhaps the DCT got overheated or in manuals the clutches got smoked due to excessive slipping) they needed to be towed away, credit where it is due my SUV even after being running for more than 10hours continuously and having being done so long distances didn't even take a single hiccup even after being in traffic for so long. After some time sense prevailed on the expressway police as there was thinner traffic on Pune-Mumbai lane they were halting it every 20minutes, and allowing the traffic from opposite lane to use this lane, my Tucson got a sort of express entry and I had sort of a deja vu(way I passed through crowd at SoU by using express entry tickets) as I rushed past the traffic by using the opposite lane, once I crossed Lonavala and Talegaon Toll heaved in relief as the traffic came under control somewhat but sadly my happiness was short lived.

Absolute madness. Very very sad for a so called "EXPRESS HIGHWAY"
Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more-9290e00125a14022845c79f1af6125e2.jpg

Entering Pune all I was greeted by was, you guessed it right even more mismanaged traffic and unending snarls. The entire Pune had begun its new year weekend and traffic was too dense, it seemed like entire city was out on the roads as we were literally moving slower than snail. Nobody gave two hoots to traffic rules and were just somehow weaving through gaps, thus even though not in a mood had to blow horns and flash those blinding high beams and even though I agitated quite a bit of 2&3wheelers I didn't care since they were cutting me unnecessarily in the first place. The entire road near the Bombay Sappers and Poona Club was jam packed, after a lot of struggle somehow made my way into my home at almost 9:30PM. Behind the wheel for almost 12hours covering 450kms, I badly needed some rest, which I'm gonna do for this week!

At the end all I would say after covering a total of 1800+kms in just 5days and spending close to a lakh, I've absolutely zero regrets for pulling out this trip and would not only recommend but suggest to visit places like SoU once in their lifetime! Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very happy new year 2024! Hope you all get your dream machines and do lot of road-tripping!

Signing off
Tony

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2023 at 16:32. Reason: Please keep it decent
Tony2298 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 22:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 23:07   #3
BHPian

Re: Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more

I hope you had a pleasant vacation, though I wish to point out that in several places in your travelogue, you come out as insensitive and tone deaf to fellow road users and human beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
my only resort much to their frustration is blowing horns and flashing high beams and yes even I abhor causing noise pollution during late night hours but I've a strong paranoia against these squid riders and didn't want to spoil my much awaited trip for these idiots.
Yes, there may not be many 'perfect' 2 wheeler riders in Pune, but your honking and flashing ain't setting very high standards either.

There are numerous instances below as well. I do really wish at least team bhp members set for themselves a high bar of on-road behaviour for others to read and practice.

Quote:
even though it was past 1AM there was heavy traffic(mostly heavy vehicles) hogging all the three lanes and I had to repeatedly brake, honk and flash, wait for side, complete the overtaking manoeuvre, only to repeat this all over again.
Quote:
While in this so called "express highway" all we could do with our powerful SUVs is 100kmph max even in arrow straight sections else we would be slapped with heavy fines in addition to hefty tolls we're already paying, it makes me question is all this toll worth it?
Quote:
The surface quality of this express highway leaves a lot to be desired for, the already coarse concrete pavement has become even worse with multiple cracks and endless expansion projects and diversions has made this road even worse for our prized possessions
Quote:
The monotony was broken only when a Porsche Cayenne appeared out of nowhere and zoomed past at about 180kmph, perhaps a man owning an expensive Porsche and other super expensive luxury cars don't bother for multiple speeding tickets worth 2000INR each but for poor corporates like us it just ain't worth spending a fortune for momentary pleasure
This is not about speeding tickets. You are condoning reckless driving on what are already dangerous roads. I can only thank fines are now a deterrent for at least the poor corporates.

Quote:

thanks to excellent high beams creating an almost day light vision I could confidently maintain triple digit speeds for long stretches.
Quote:

The return journey as usual was uneventful through the smooth albeit unlit highway although who cares when you've powerful lights, while other cars with their poor headlights barely lighting up the road ahead and moving slowly, my SUV allowed me to have a daylight vision and carry triple digit speed through those smooth tarmac.
Please read up on when to turn on 'high beams'. They are not for when there are vehicles ahead or in the opposite lanes. Yours is one of those scores of vehicles which cause intermittent blindness and permanent headaches for other road users.

Quote:

The Sabarmati Ashram itself was quite small and parking space was in serious shortage since it was basically a small ground and mostly filled with tourist cabs, somehow managed to squeeze in my SUV in a tight space, the Ashram itself was nice but I found it a bit boring not that I'm a history buff at the first place but also the fact that I've visited Aga Khan Palace in Pune which is very near to my residence and contains almost the same information as it was presented here, also somewhere in the back of my mind I was worried about my Tucson in that tight space
I wish you spent more time in this place to learn what the man behind it taught all of us.

Quote:

Ahmedabad traffic slowed us down like a snail, also there were numerous diversions adding to our misery and traffic seemed to be too insensitive and didn't give us pass for diversions even after liberally using blinkers and horns, at last I lost it, switched off the A/C, and used my hand to ask the drivers to stop and let me pass, phew! After about wasting an hour to pass the traffic gridlock we finally entered the Ahmedabad-Vadodara express highway which seemed no less than a saviour to us!
See, its hard to complain when you are neck deep yourself.

Quote:

the faster moving traffic tends to use the emergency shoulder for overtaking manoeuvres, whether its right or wrong I don't know, I avoided doing so since many stationary vehicles do park at that shoulder and it could become very dangerous in that case, only when the lanes were completely occupied and truckers denied me pass, after a lot of precautions and seeing other vehicles completing the manoeuvre I decided to do it a couple of times
Again, something which should not be practiced. Yes, we don't live in a perfect world, but it only takes a little effort to set that bar a notch higher.

Quote:

Pune badly needs a similar airport since the current airport couldn't just keep up with the ever growing air traffic and in general Pune badly needs a total revamp with proper planning, good wide roads, efficient public transport and a stop on infinite construction activities and excessive blooming of corporate offices, this ain't the Poona I know and have spent my childhood in.
I couldn't let this pass in the end on a lighter note. You got to figure what you want - proper planning, good infra, or should everything stop?
dust-n-bones is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 09:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road-Trip to Gujarat in a Tucson | Exploring Statue of Unity & more

Quote:
Trip to Gujarat from Pune-Visiting Statue of Unity and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
I hope you had a pleasant vacation, though I wish to point out that in several places in your travelogue, you come out as insensitive and tone deaf to fellow road users and human beings.
Wish you both a happy new year and happy holidays.

I echo Bhpian Dust-N-Bones comments here. As per his travelogue BHPian Tony2298, came up extremely insensitive to fellow road users. I also sense a Holier than thou attitude in the Bhpian's comments. I would give equal respect to all drivers on the road be it a moped rider or a continental GT driver. Request Bhpian Tony to follow some of the instructions mentioned by Bhpian Dust-n-Bones, to have many safe and happy roadtrips in future.

Request mods to proof read such travelogue's/reviews before publishing so that we don't promote rash driving on our roads.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks