Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 19:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness

Simply spectacular. Snow-clad vistas, roads, the eerie-serenity, the sense of loneliness, yet the palpable sensation. Every single picture brings forth a sensation like no other. Oh, I love cold-snow clad regions. I can just sit still in one place and see a single vista all day long caveat being my derriere doesn't get cold-welded to the park bench. Honestly, I can literally feel the cold and the palpable-ness in these picture set. Loved it!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 02:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post

Having explored Anchorage, Fairbanks and everything in between on the two previous trips, my focus was on driving north to the Dolton highway and possibly as far as the Artic Circle and the town of Coldfoot, AK.
Next time, let's hire one of those massive trucks and drive to Artic Circle.

Who knows we may even be able to make money on that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaslu@2028 View Post
There are many ways to measure a mountain's height. Everest is the highest when measured from sea level. But if you consider the base of a mountain i.e., the actual location on land from where you start climbing, then Denali is highest. By this calculation, Mount Everest's height from base to summit, or its vertical rise is ~11,500 feet. While Mount Denali's vertical rise is 18,000 feet

Fun fact: There is another mountain, Mauna Kea in Hawaii which is even taller than Denali with an elevation of 33,500 feet from base to peak. But most of it is under water. Technically, its the tallest mountain measured base to peak

Also, Small correction: Everest Base camp is at ~17,600 feet not at 8000 feet. Its peak is at ~29000 feet. Plan a trek to it. Its equal parts beautiful as Denali National park if not more.

Wonderful pictures. Enjoyed as if i was there. Thanks and Cheers!!
Thanks for the wonderful explanation and for the fun fact.

You know something, we never explore many aspects of life till we actually experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Simply spectacular. Snow-clad vistas, roads, the eerie-serenity, the sense of loneliness, yet the palpable sensation. Every single picture brings forth a sensation like no other. Oh, I love cold-snow clad regions. I can just sit still in one place and see a single vista all day long caveat being my derriere doesn't get cold-welded to the park bench. Honestly, I can literally feel the cold and the palpable-ness in these picture set. Loved it!
I think you summed up the whole thing pretty nicely. It was indeed like that

ererie, serenity, loneliness, pristine nature and a sense of being the only human being around with miles of snow clad wilderness.

Hot weather has never found a place in my heart and I too love cold places and cold weather.

Thanks for those nice words.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 13:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Interestingly, I also didn’t realize till then there existed a 5th time zone in US (I am sure you are aware about the 4 time zones- EST, CST, MST and PST) but Alaska is 1-hour behind PST making it a 5th time zone.
Excellent pictures and a wonderful trip. Been to Juneau, Fairbanks and Anchorage few years ago and the picture perfect scenary is still fresh in my mind.

Actually there are 6 time zone. The 6th one is Hawaii, which is an hour behind Alaska
gauravdgr8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 21:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Actually there are 6 time zone. The 6th one is Hawaii, which is an hour behind Alaska.
Holy Cow! These Americans know how to confuse the heck.

I was aware about Hawaii having a different timezone compared to mainland US but, I thought it's same as Alaska.
Old 19th November 2023, 02:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Having explored Anchorage, Fairbanks and everything in between on the two previous trips, my focus was on driving north to the Dolton highway and possibly as far as the Artic Circle and the town of Coldfoot, AK. That plan was quickly put to rest once we saw our Turo host frown at the idea (I bet he expected to see his precious Subaru in bits on the back of a flatbed after we were done playing frontier explorers). So the plan was quickly downgraded to taking a picture at the Dolton Highway sign.

Yes, TX is just the largest in the contiguous U.S. - seems to have gotten lost over dinner . It was good to learn that we have a BHPian in AK and Mendenhall Ice Caves is next on our list so I'm sure this visit shall materialize soon.
I wouldn't take anyone's car down to Coldfoot unless it's yours. I've never done the route, but it's generally advisable to use a truck/Jeep for that with mud terrains. We were planning on doing that last year (a bunch of my Jeep friends and my truck) but didn't happen. Still on the to do list! As far as the Mendenhall glacier ice caves go, just fyi they change every year as the glacier moves. The pics below are from around 12 years ago when my friend and I went into possibly the best of the caves that had formed. Past few years they've been hit or miss, and this year the glacier wasn't accessible. I didn't try, but a colleague did. You can normally access the glacier bushwhacking across the West Glacier "Trail", or by kayaking across the lake and beaching your canoe on the beach by the glacier. Unfortunately this year the glacier had receded too much. A large section of lake and inaccessible cliff wall was in between the glacier and the trail so it wasn't accessible from land. And wasn't accessible from boat either since the closest area to beach the canoe was again on the wrong side of the lake and the cliff. But it could easily change next year with the glacier receding more.

Entrance
2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness-img_5421.jpg

In the cave
2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness-img_5379.jpg
AKTransAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 11:22   #21
BHPian

Absolutely Breathtaking Views and Imagery.

The whole drive seems to be from out of the world- like the Lands of always Winter from the Game of Thrones ( without the Night King , Of course).

No wonder, those spectacular events like Aurora Borealis would have driven the creative imagination of many an artist!

Looking at all those snowy roads snaking through the whitewashed mountains and forests, the state of Alaska is added to my wishlist ( and with a recently acquired Visitor Visa, let's see if I could visit this True North.

I knew Alaska is the largest state in the US, but did not imagine it was that large- it is smaller than just 14 countries in the world with a length of appr. 2400 KM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful travelogue!

Quote:
Next time, let's hire one of those massive trucks and drive to Artic Circle.
During my childhood, truck driver was my favourite job. The terrain seems actually quite appealing to become one now

Last edited by poised2drive : 21st November 2023 at 11:25.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 09:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTransAM View Post
I wouldn't take anyone's car down to Coldfoot unless it's yours. I've never done the route, but it's generally advisable to use a truck/Jeep for that with mud terrains.
Do let me and crackhead know if you are planning this drive from Fairbanks to ColdFoot or even till Prudhoe Bay (if it’s safe and can be done in Summers).

Happy to fly down and join you guys. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTransAM View Post
You can normally access the glacier bushwhacking across the West Glacier "Trail", or by kayaking across the lake and beaching your canoe on the beach by the glacier. Unfortunately this year the glacier had receded too much. A large section of lake and inaccessible cliff wall was in between the glacier and the trail so it wasn't accessible from land.
Wow, that’s goosebump stuff. Canoeing in a partial frozen lake and enter a cave which is part of a Glacier.

I think will need a few survival lessons before I even attempt that kind of dare devilry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Absolutely Breathtaking Views and Imagery.

The whole drive seems to be from out of the world- like the Lands of always Winter from the Game of Thrones ( without the Night King , Of course).
You are the 3rd person who mentioned this to me. A couple of other folks said exactly same thing that it looks like the sets of “ GOT”. Haha!

Quote:
No wonder, those spectacular events like Aurora Borealis would have driven the creative imagination of many an artist!
Absolutely. This time it wasn’t the best as we missed the main event by a day. Next day the KPI index was a whopping 9/10 and it came all over the news that that was one of the best “Northern Lights” day in a long time. Unfortunately, we were at the airport waiting for our red-eye.

Glad that we were able to witness this event (many come back disheartened) even though it was quite mild.

Quote:
Looking at all those snowy roads snaking through the whitewashed mountains and forests, the state of Alaska is added to my wishlist ( and with a recently acquired Visitor Visa, let's see if I could visit this True North.
You should plan a trip to Alaska, if you like snow, wilderness and absolutely gorgeous sights of mountains and unique landscapes.

Btw, very very few people like such bitter cold weather so think about that carefully before planning a trip.

Quote:
I knew Alaska is the largest state in the US, but did not imagine it was that large- it is smaller than just 14 countries in the world with a length of appr. 2400 KM
Even though I live in US, I want aware till this trip that Alaska was the biggest state in America. Now you threw a new stat at me.

I think I need to spend more time researching which isn’t one of my forte. LOL!

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this wonderful travelogue!
Glad you like it. Thanks for your nice words.

Quote:
During my childhood, truck driver was my favourite job. The terrain seems actually quite appealing to become one now
I would love to drive a truck (not the real ones) but, something like an F-150 or similar to Cold Foot. Hopefully, some day.

Btw, these big trucks carrying fuel that we saw plenty during our trip were zooming on such snowy and treacherous roads at pretty high speeds. You need guts made out of steel to drive like that on these roads.
Old 22nd November 2023, 11:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
You are the 3rd person who mentioned this to me. A couple of other folks said exactly same thing that it looks like the sets of “ GOT”. Haha!

Btw, very very few people like such bitter cold weather so think about that carefully before planning a trip.
I think ( or at least, I like to think) I love Cold weather and living in a city with always summer, Cold places seem like paradise

And hence the aura of the GoT .

Quote:

Glad you like it. Thanks for your nice words.
As I said, I love your travelogues replete with so many visually stunning photographs, that really inspire me to take pictures in order to compose travelogues on Tbhp!
Old 22nd November 2023, 12:02   #24

Nice write-up and phenomenal photos. Special thanks for the photos of food!!!
slow_drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 00:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think ( or at least, I like to think) I love Cold weather and living in a city with always summer, Cold places seem like paradise. And hence the aura of the GoT .
I see you live in Vijaywada which is a fairly HOT place. Your body would be accustomed to that weather. There are different level of cold.

Bearable- If you visit North India during peak winters, you will feel cold.

Unbearable- If you visit US during winters (Seattle, New York, Boston, Detroit, Chicago etc.), these places will be quite unbearable in winters as temps are generally in 0C to -5C.

Impossibly Cold - We left Seattle at 0 Celsius and landed in a -10 C Fairbanks, Alaska. This hit our body hard as even though we are acclimatized to cold weather, Alaska weather is quite bitterly cold and unbearable to folks like us who live in cold weather as the temps drop even further to -15 C during night.

And, this is not even winter. In winters it goes up to -50C and lower.

Here is an Example : Do look out for a photoblog of the same in a couple of days..

Last Saturday, we had a Team-BHP drive meet in Seattle area where we drove 100 miles north to a frozen lake (Picture Lake in North Cascades Mountains) and weather was sunny but, 0C. It actually felt pleasant and not really cold.

Check what I am wearing while standing on a frozen lake. Just a light hoodie.

2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness-fullsizerender-11.jpg

Quote:
As I said, I love your travelogues replete with so many visually stunning photographs, that really inspire me to take pictures in order to compose travelogues on Tbhp!
Thank you. Amongst many things I love, taking pictures, being outdoors and enjoying good food tops the list. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_drive View Post
Nice write-up and phenomenal photos. Special thanks for the photos of food!!!
Thank you for your kind words. Looks like you are a hard core foodie like me.

Like we have a similar saying on Team-BHP, I have one for food.

Live to Eat Good Food.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd November 2023 at 03:30. Reason: Fixed broken quote as per RP.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 00:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alaska has been on my bucket list for a very long time and like most people, the visualization of Alaska trip would be cruising along the famous glaciers.
It seems to me you have met all your KPP's for this year and have the time for massive roadtrip's like this and fantastic travelogues.

Great going man. Loved this thread and the super detailed coverage.

Quote:
Day 2 (Saturday, November 4th, 2023)—Cont’d

Spotting the " Northern Lights in Fairbanks, Alaska"
Glad you managed to see the Aurora's. The conditions need to be right to be able to see them and I guess you were at the right time at the right place.

We saw them hear in Helsinki too.

2 BHPians (Mobike008 & Crackhead) Exploring the Alaskan Wilderness-391206757656308f34daf3.jpeg

note: Pic from yle.fi. Haven't downloaded pic from DSLR yet.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
It seems to me you have met all your KPP's for this year and have the time for massive roadtrip's like this and fantastic travelogues.
I meet my targets even when I'm on the move (which is quite a lot).

In my case, the targets are not moving but, I am moving.

Quote:
Great going man. Loved this thread and the super detailed coverage.
Thanks Avinash for your lovely compliments.

Quote:
Glad you managed to see the Aurora's. The conditions need to be right to be able to see them and I guess you were at the right time at the right place.
I know, right? We were super lucky to spot it as I know so many people who go and never get to see it. Even though the KPI index was low but, we could still see it means we are blessed.

Hopefully, a better visual awaits us next time.

Quote:
We saw them hear in Helsinki too.

note: Pic from yle.fi. Haven't downloaded pic from DSLR yet.
What is Yie. FI?

Look forward to pics from your DSLR soon. Thank you !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meet my targets even when I'm on the move (which is quite a lot).

In my case, the targets are not moving but, I am moving.
Cool. What a shitshow it is in the Telecom Vertical man. Anyhoo. we'll take our industry crib to whatsapp.

Quote:

I know, right? We were super lucky to spot it as I know so many people who go and never get to see it. Even though the KPI index was low but, we could still see it means we are blessed.

Hopefully, a better visual awaits us next time.
Yupp. that is why I said the conditions seemed to have been just right. It's a delicate balance. Some stake-out all night looking for it when the KPI is just right and still can't see it (Le Me 8 out of 10 times) and some casually stroll in the balcony and see the best show (Le Wife)

Quote:

What is Yie. FI?
yle.fi is a Finnish News Outlet.

Quote:
Look forward to pics from your DSLR soon. Thank you !!
Sure. Pix from 2 yrs ago haven't come out of the DSLR yet.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 01:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Do let me and crackhead know if you are planning this drive from Fairbanks to ColdFoot or even till Prudhoe Bay (if it’s safe and can be done in Summers).

Happy to fly down and join you guys. Keep us posted.
Count me in, driving entire Dalton highway has been on my bucket list. I was researching about it and it seems there are 4x4 rental agencies who will specifically rent you well equipped trucks or Jeeps equipped with CB radio as well as Satellite phones. If you guys are planning a trip, do shout out to me too. Will try my best to join.

Quote:

I would love to drive a truck (not the real ones) but, something like an F-150 or similar to Cold Foot. Hopefully, some day.

Btw, these big trucks carrying fuel that we saw plenty during our trip were zooming on such snowy and treacherous roads at pretty high speeds. You need guts made out of steel to drive like that on these roads.
It seems one of desi Candian truck driver from Canada recently did a trip to Deadhorse to drop a load (End of Dalton highway) and have documented it entirely as a VLOG. Some of the scenery is breathtaking. Sharing it below.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks