Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian

We relish the experience behind the wheel, leaving no stone unturned. I don't need a specific reason for a quick getaway; I simply love increasing my odometer reading. Unfortunately, my Jeep has been plagued with numerous issues lately. There's an ongoing serious dispute with Jeep India, and I'm in the final stages of sending them a legal notice. I've wrote a detailed post on my problems and annoyances I've encountered during my ownership of nearly 18,000 (odo reading while writing this post) kilometers in just 6 months, in the ownership thread.

However, these issues didn't deter me from embarking on a journey with my Meridian. When I made the booking payment, I was already planning several road trips in the coming months. In September, I traveled to South Goa, a trip I've been eager to write about. This trip was meticulously planned to provide stress relief and leisure, dedicating our time to complete exploration.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3246.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3243.jpeg

Our journey began as we departed from Kolhapur around 4:30 AM, heading towards Beglavi. The road was pleasantly empty, and the monsoon had subsided. The morning weather was overcast and gloomy. We covered 112 kilometers in just 75 minutes. Beyond Kolhapur, as we entered Karnataka, NH4 transformed into a superb, spacious highway with minimal traffic—a perfect setting for long drives and lasting memories. This sprawling 6-lane highway is surrounded by lush greenery, offering smooth, picturesque roads. Towards Beglavi, road widening work was in progress.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3266.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3269.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3271.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3274.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3278.jpeg

From Belgavi, we found a road passing through a Wildlife Sanctuary, albeit a 20+ kilometer detour. Yet, the road itself was an unforgettable experience, as the forested path provided stunning natural scenery. It was so serene that we could hear the gentle flow of nearby streams. This journey allowed me to deeply connect with nature, though the initial part of the road was challenging due to no road present, Meridian came to rescue. This road provided solitude and tranquility in abundance. Known as the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary, it lies between Belgavi and Khanapur, offering a connection with nature that made leaving urban life behind seem more appealing. It was a single-lane road with almost no traffic, creating lifelong memories and scenic vistas.
Nighttime passage through the sanctuary would be risky due to safety concerns.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3248.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3256.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3258.jpeg

We finally reached the ITC Grand Resort in South Goa, located remotely near Planet Hollywood and Taj Exotica. Spanning 54 acres, the property boasts a clean, private beach for guests, and the staff was very cordial and welcoming. The resort exuded calm and tranquility, ideal for relaxation. The spacious, luxurious rooms each had a balcony and open-sky bathrooms. With three dedicated cuisine restaurants, the food was truly exceptional. ITC Grand Resort provided a luxurious experience with its exceptional staff.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3414.jpeg

Surprisingly, Skoda India had organized a weekend drive for their customers from Pune, filling the resort with Slavias and Kushaqs. I always loved the Kodiaq, it has my heart, given my high mileage, it did not make sense to opt for the TSI engine.

Upon arrival, the Resort lobby was bustling with participants from the Skoda event, but luckily they were checking out while I was checking in the resort. After settling in, headed straight to Martin's Goa for lunch, savoring fresh crab—an immensely satisfying culinary experience. While Goa is renowned for seafood, it can be challenging to find authentic, flavorful options amid the many overhyped places.
We then made our way to Benaulim Beach, spending the evening on the beach watching the sunset. Later, we dined at the Southern Deck, enjoying a late-night dinner with a local band. The ambiance was delightful, the place was fully booked, and the crowd created a fantastic vibe. It was a fun night of dancing. We returned to the resort, ordered desserts, and called it a day.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3307.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3310.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3559.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3578.jpeg

The following morning, I woke up early for a peaceful walk on the private beach. The tranquility of an early morning beach walk holds a special place in my heart—it's a moment of release and rejuvenation, allowing the soul to absorb peace, freshness, energy, and satisfaction. Due to the monsoon season and it being a Monday, the beach was nearly deserted.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3316.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3342.jpeg

After buffet breakfast, we set out for a long drive, exploring nearby places and beachfront roads.
I’m an all time Burger person. I have travelled extensively to find out the best burgers and burger joints. Goa has some very famous Burger joints. I tried exploring 2 such joints. One was Baba Au rhum and other was Burger factory. Baba Au rhum is a magnificent place and is been designed to match and create a Goa vibe. It is probably run by a French couple. The burgers were okay but everything else was amazing. Coming to burger factory, i felt it to be very much hyped. It was very crowded had a waiting time of more than an hour. After waiting for so long, the expectations had skyrocketed but it also disappointed a bit. There was a milkshake named Extra Virgin and Cookies, it was very enticing. But compared to this burger joints, I would any day prefer Jimis from Mumbai over this. I have also heard a lot about Nadeem’s Burger, will surely try it next time.

Returning in the afternoon to avoid the scorching sun, we took a wonderful afternoon nap before preparing for another breathtaking sunset at a special place—Cape Goa. Located almost 1.45 hours away from ITC, it sits atop Cabo de Rama fort, offering panoramic views of the Arabian Sea. Photos can't capture its full beauty, but the journey was well worth it. We spent around three hours watching the sunset and bonding with my family, with the whole Arabian Sea as our backdrop. Returning to the resort, enjoyed a relaxing swim.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3439.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3442.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3475.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3490.jpeg

The next morning involved some business calls, but it was a very lasy start to the day. I booked an afternoon spa appointment at J Wellness and Spa in Taj Exotica, a truly rejuvenating experience. The spa's tranquility and the courteous, welcoming staff made it memorable. The skilled therapist ensured high-quality treatments, and the entire spa area was impeccably clean and fragrant. The staff was utterly professional and attentive to all the demands.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-e9b13d3617af493894e05f0a7bd51fe3.jpeg

We had fish and chips for brunch at a beachside shack and then visited Mobor Beach, another beautiful and clean beach near Radisson Blu Donna Sylvia. We enjoyed in the sea, played with some kids on the beach, and captured some great photos. Sat on the beach for a wonderful sunset.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3585.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3647.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3660.jpeg

After sunset, we explored local shops for some street shopping. As it was our final day in Goa, wanted to make most it. We had dinner at Mickeys near ITC and retired early, as we planned an early departure the following day.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3503.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3567.jpeg

We left ITC around 5 AM, taking the Chorla route instead of the sanctuary one. The Chorla ghat road was in poor condition, filled with not just potholes, but deep pits. I had to navigate carefully, and although the Meridian didn't scrape, it did wobble. However, the climb through Chorla Ghat offered breathtaking scenic views, with clouds below in the valleys—a heavenly sight.

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3676.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3677.jpeg

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img_3679.jpeg

This potholes were horrendous, literally gave me goosebumps and crushed my heart badly. The trucks and heavy vehicles were also struggling and fearing to get stuck.

We reached Kolhapur around 9 AM.

The Meridian proved to be a true mile muncher, with exceptional grip and confidence around corners. It delivered a total fuel efficiency of 13 kmpl. The car's noise insulation was superb, providing isolation from the outside world with premium Alpine speakers. Wind and road noise only crept in above 110 kmph. The car and engine were a delight to drive, feeling far from underpowered. Still, I believe that if Jeep had provided a bit more juice, the car would be unbeatable. It would be more fun to drive car. It's a perfect getaway car—no drama-no fuss, just pure enjoyment. Rattling was spoilsport though.

(Mods please delete the post if you don’t feel it relevant or exciting to be featured on TeamBhp.)
Thank you.

Last edited by Starwar19 : 10th October 2023 at 00:16.
Starwar19 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 00:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Goa exploration in my Meridian

Some more photos to the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0014.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0013.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0015.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0012.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0011.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0009.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0005.jpg  

Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian-img20231010wa0004.jpg  

Starwar19 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 06:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Goa exploration in my Jeep Meridian

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwar19 View Post
We relish the experience behind the wheel, leaving no stone unturned. I don't need a specific reason for a quick getaway; I simply love increasing my odometer reading......
Thank you.
Spoken like a true wanderer. Driving just for the love of it the purest form of passion and you my friend are a epitome of that. Drive safe and regale us with your exploits.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:59   #5
BHPian

In my opinion, the test of a well written travelogue is how badly it makes the reader want to emulate it. This one, Sir, has me by the heart. Not only was the travel part covered neatly, it is what you did while in Goa that has really captured my imagination. These are exactly the kind of activities (hunting for good eating joints, walks on the beach, spa etc.) that me and my gang prefer to do while in Goa. This took me right back.

This thread will be my go-to whenever I next plan to visit Goa. Wish you many many more miles of happy driving!
anirudh_85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Your 'tasteful' write-up stuffed with some awesome pics brought lots of memories back to relive for me.
First the pic of your Meridian in the lobby of Taj Exotica and secondly your location, Kolhapur was enough to draw my attention towards reading of the story in one go.
Enjoyed it fully !

In fact, I don't know about any past TeamBHP meet-ups organised at Kolhapur but now, let's plan one someday soon for the tribe.
Please check your inbox for my contact details.

Thanks,
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 14:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Spoken like a true wanderer. Driving just for the love of it the purest form of passion and you my friend are a epitome of that. Drive safe and regale us with your exploits.
Last month I had been to Japan, it was a family vacation. I have clicked numerous Car photographs. I wanted to make a comparison of Indian Versions and overseas versions of the same models. New blog coming super soon. Thank you very much for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
In my opinion, the test of a well written travelogue is how badly it makes the reader want to emulate it. This one, Sir, has me by the heart.
This thread will be my go-to whenever I next plan to visit Goa. Wish you many many more miles of happy driving!
This words of appreciation really motivate us to invest our time and write such blogs. Thank you for coming to the thread. keep us posted with your Goa trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Your 'tasteful' write-up stuffed with some awesome pics brought lots of memories back to relive for me.
Thank you for your kind words. I have noted your contact details. We will surely plan for a Team-Bhp meetup soon.
Starwar19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks