Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2023, 19:15   #1
BHPian

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru

Tale of three states (Pondy to Palani, Ooty, Wayanad and Mysuru)

Prelude:

Our son is working in NYC (after IITM and MS at Princeton) and used to visit India during Christmas Holidays every year. But this time due to his change of jobs (he is in H1b visa second term) and virtually on leave in between jobs (I heard the term “Garden Leave” for the first time). So, he climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, visited Serengeti and Turkey in August and planned to visit us in September. But he did not want to stay in Pondy for 10 days and getting bored and wanted to move around with outstation trips.

The Plan:

We were thinking about Rajasthan, Andamans, Sri Lanka etc initially. But since September climate is not suitable for any of these we decided to move towards hills. Thus, the plan for Ooty, Mysuru started to take place and this tour would be in our car. So, we made an itinerary for 10 days and got the approval from him. I was planning for his arrival at Bengaluru and departure from Chennai. But he had already booked the tickets for Chennai arrival on 14th September. So, our tour must start from Pondy and end at Bengaluru. While checking the route from Ooty to Mysuru, I observed that we would be closer to Wayanad (our family deity is Valliyoorkavu Bhaghavathy near Mananthavady) and wife happily accepted the diversion.

The plan was like this:
15th September – Pondy to Palani (booking at Hotel Divine Fort)
16th September – Palani Local
17th September – Palani to Ooty (Booking at Two Seas residency)
18th and 19th – Ooty local
20th September – Ooty to Mananthavady (booking at Fern Tree Resort)
21st September – Mananthavady to Mysuru (booking at Xcel Luxury Apartments)
22nd September – Mysuru to Bengaluru
23rd September – dropping son at the Airport and return to Pondy

In this plan, my job was only driving and location and route selection. Son’s job was to select (and book) accommodations (as per his standards as he will be paying wherever international credit card is accepted) and select restaurants (he is particular about his food which is mainly protein based) and wife’s job was to plan the temple visits. I spent next one month playing with GMaps and selecting the possible site seeing locations and routes.

Finally on 14th I went to Chennai and picked him from Airport.
Since the trip was for 10 days, we had more luggage than usual but fortunately our Spresso accommodated everything (son’s big air traveller bag and ours 3 bags fitted in the hatch area with parcel tray and other small bags went to rear seat as we were only three including driver). Since Ooty has restriction on plastic water bottles, we took all our Stainless-steel bottles to be on the safer side. Nipah virus scare was on as we started but planned to decide after reaching Ooty.

The drive:

Day 1-15.09.2023- Friday (Pondy to Palani):

My idea of travel is always to start early and reach halfway before sun comes blasting in the morning hours. So, we started at 6.30 AM and this time I took Pondy to Villupuram road which is under expansion and so I avoided for last one year. Except for 2 bridges, this road is almost complete and our journey was smooth. Had breakfast at Aswins near Perambalur and were satisfied. Crossed Trichy and Manapparai in no time. As usual decided to take the roads less travelled and went through Eriodu and Vedasandur (instead of Vadamadurai or Dindigul). Reached Palani at lunch time and checked in at Hotel Divine Fort (which is in front of the rope car station which was closed for maintenance unfortunately) and took lunch in their restaurant. Rs 60/- was charged for cars to enter near the hill peripheral roads.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-1.-eriodu-road.jpg
Eriodu Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-2.new-road-towards-kovai-passing-palani-udumalaipettai-etc..jpg
New Road Under Construction towards Kovai bypassing Palani, Udumalaipettai etc.,
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-3.-nearing-palani.jpg
Nearing Palani
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-4.hotel-divine-fort.jpg
Hotel Divine Fort

After taking little rest now the time had come to plan for the temple visits. Palani temple is one of the Six Abodes of Lord Murugan (Aarupadai veedugal) but many people misunderstand that the hill temple is one of them. Before climbing the hill, there is another temple called “Thiruaavinankudi temple” near the Vaiyaapuyri Kulam(tank) is actually one of the abodes. Wife has some sentimental connection with this temple (she believes our son was born after visiting this temple) so wanted to visit this first. So around 4.30 we went in car and finished the visit by 5.30(in Palani everywhere free parking is available but won’t get any space on important holy days). Then we tried to take winch route to climb the hill but was instructed by the lady at the footwear cloak room that it would be waste time waiting for winch as it might take more than 2 hrs. She advised us to climb which may take only 30 minutes. So, we decided then and there to climb which we did through the elephant path (vertical climb has 640 steps) and finished the visit quickly as there was not rush at that time. The infrastructure has been improved tremendously since last time we visited (20 years back). Evey corner had toilet and drinking water facilities. Returned back to the hotel and took dinner there itself and retired for the day. Cell phone restriction was there but many people did not bother. From 1st October, it will be totally banned I suppose.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-5.parking-thiruaavinankudi-temple.jpg
Parking at Thiruaavinankudi temple
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-6.thiruaavinankudi-temple.jpg
Thiruaavinankudi temple
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-7.free-parking-near-winch-station.jpg
Free parking near winch station
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-8.elephant-path.jpg
Elephant path
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-9.palani-view-evening-sky.jpg
Palani View
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-10.hill-temple-.jpg
Hill temple

Day 2 – Saturday-16.09.2023 ( Palani Local):

Palani is my native place and I had lived there until my college days. As our visits are infrequent nowadays and this time since we had car, I planned to go through a nostalgic journey around Palani (which was accepted by wife and son as we had no other programme that day). First in the list was Palaru (Porunthalaru) Dam. Even though it was my native place, I have never visited this dam. We started around 8.30 Am and reached the dam within 30 minutes which is about 10 km from Palani. Dam had some water but the location was serene and peaceful (Drive was towards the ghats) and it was surprising why this was not planned as full-fledged picnic spot.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-11.road-palar-dam.jpg
Road to Palaaru Dam
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-12.-palar-dam.jpg
The Dam

Next in the list were the schools/college I studied. Since my parents were Govt elementary school teachers (not in Palani union but in the next union called Thoppampatty), I was living with my grandparents in Palani from 6 months. At the age of 6 (it was pre-kindergarten days) I was admitted at CSI Wakeman School for 1st standard. Our father used to come to Palani for purchase of groceries to take to village home (vegetables could be managed locally) every month or so. During one of his visits, he saw my performance after joining the school, felt bad (being a teacher himself) and decided to take me with him. He was posted at a village called Appiyapalayam (while our mother was posted at a village called Kanjikaalivalasu which is a mile away and family was residing there). So remaining year of 1st standard I was enrolled at our father’s school and used to walk with him daily a mile to and fro. For 2nd standard I studied at mother’s school. Then due to lack of students that school was closed and both were transferred to a village called Muththunayackanpatti where I studied 3rd, 4th and 5th standards and joined Municipal Higher Secondary School, Palani from 6th to 12th. Then completed my college at Polytechnic in Palani itself.

So, continuing our travel from the dam, we visited a very old famous juice centre (near old Tirupur Lodge) which is being run by owner’s sons now. Our son liked their special fruit mix drink very much and wanted once more for evening also. Then we came to Wakeman school and saw the transformation during these years. All the huts are replaced with concrete buildings. Next was Periyaavudaiyaar temple which is situated on the banks of a river called Shanmuganadhi. While climbing the elephant path previous day, son was enquiring about the actual elephant. In Palani, elephant is present only in Periyanaayagi Amman temple which was next in our list. After seeing the elephant, we visited the schools of Nagoor (which was our parents last posting before retirement but I did not study in this school), Muththunayackanpatti, Pungamuthur (where our parents were posted when I was with my grandparents), Appipalayam. I tried to visit Kanjikaalivalasu but the road was under construction so decided to return (I did not want to damage the tires as we had big plans). Back to Palani and visited High School and Polytechnic and returned to the hotel for lunch (actually every time we took food in Divine Fort only as our son could not find any other restaurant as per his standards). Then in the evening wife went to Thiruaavinankudi temple again by walking and I went to the juice centre (by walk only) to bring the evening quota of the famous mixed fruit juice for son. Had dinner and retired for the day.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-13.-juice-centre.jpg
Juice Centre
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-14.-csi-wakeman-school.jpg
Wakeman School
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-15.periyaavudaiyaar-temple.jpg
Periaavudayaar Temple
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-16.nagoor-school.jpg
Nagoor School
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-17.-muththunayackanpatti-school.jpg
Muththunaiyackanpatti School
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-18.-appiyapalayam-school.jpg
Appiyapalayam School
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-19.-village-roads.jpg
Village Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-20.village-road2.jpg
Village road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-21.-palani-higher-sec.-school.jpg
Higher Sec. School
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-22.-palani-polytechnic.jpg
Polytechnic
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-23.hill-western-ghats-background.jpg
Palani Hill with Western Ghats in the background

3rd day – Sunday-17.09.2023(Palani to Ooty):

We had the complimentary breakfast at 8 AM and checked out (International credit cards are accepted here). From Palani to Ooty there are multiple routes available. Straight route is through Udumalpettai, Pollachi. But in this route, there is a major hurdle in this route that is Coimbatore city. From Pollachi side to Mettupalayam side there is no by pass road in Kovai. Unless one has work in Kovai better to avoid this route. Even though it was a Sunday, as usual I planned roads less travelled. So, took Madathukulam, Thungavi, Kothamangalam, Palladam, Annur, Mettupalayam route. In Annur we faced a big traffic jam but fortunately alternate route through Sirumugai was free and we could reach Mettupalayam for lunch at Sri Saravana Mess(ok). After lunch continued through Kotagiri Road. I wanted to finish at least one location on the way and so reached Kodanad View point at around 3 PM. After spending sometime continued towards Ooty and reached Two Seas Residency by 5.30 PM (wanted to finish Catherine Falls also but it became misty and foggy already). This apartment location is near to Charring Cross and we were very much satisfied with the services provided. They have a cook and support staff and serve both veg/non veg items as per our requirement on payment. Food was like home made with less spices and tasty also.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-24.madaththukulam-road.jpg
Madathukulam Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-25.palladam-road.jpg
Palladam Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-26.-sirumugai-road.jpg
Sirumugai Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-27.-kotagiri-road.jpg
Kotagiri Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-28.-kodanadu-road.jpg
Kodanadu Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-29.-kodanadu-viewpoint.jpg
Kodanadu View point
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-30.-two-seas-residency.jpg
Two Seas residency
( ....continued in next post)

Last edited by kvsneela : 8th October 2023 at 19:16.
kvsneela is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 19:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru

4th day – Monday – 18.09.2023 (Ooty local):

Morning we could see carrot farming next to our stay. After breakfast we went through Mysuru road and visited shooting spot and Pykara dam. Here there is facility for boating also but the road to the boat house was horrible though the entry fee is charged. We took 1100\- speed boat for 10 minutes ride. It was a change from travel in car so far. Returned and visited Pykara waterfalls which is on the opposite side. Spent some time and while returning towards Ooty observed huge crowd in shooting spot (being a holiday) and felt that early start saved us. Visited Pine tree park also. On the way took lunch at Earl’s Secret which is couple of kms inside the ghats. The food was a per the standards of these type of restaurants. Only the amount was head spinning (anyway son paid though his credit card). Then visited the Botanical gardens. Purchased some chocolates nearby (250/- for ½ kg). Returned to the residency and had rest for the rest of the day.
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-32.carrot-farming.jpg
Carrot Farming
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-33.-shooting-spot.jpg
Shooting Spot
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-34.pykara-boat-house-road.jpg
Pykara Boathouse Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-35.-pykara-boathouse.jpg
Pykara Boat House
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-36.-pykara-waterfalls.jpg
Pykara Falls
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-37.-pine-tree-park.jpg
Pine Tree Park
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-38.-botanical-garden.jpg
Botanical garden

5TH DAY-Tuesday-19.09.2023( Ooty local):

While doing research for places around Ooty, I came across Doddabetta Peak and Dolphin Nose viewpoint and also observed many people could not complete these locations due to restrictions or traffic or weather etc., So I purposefully planned for these locations on Tuesday by which the weekend holidays are over. So, we finished out breakfast at around 8.30 AM and moved on to Doddabetta peak which is nearby on Kotagiri Road. As expected, being working day, there was not much crowd (I heard during weekends parking space would be scarce). Spent like an hour here at the peak from we could see all round Ooty and Mettupalayam, Mysuru views. Fortunately, there was not much mist. Then we moved on towards Dolphin Nose which is near Coonnoor. Since we are already in Kotagiri road , took Kattabettu, Ellithorai route to reach Dolphin Nose. Though the last 10 kms were misty and foggy and driving was possible and reached the viewpoint around 11.30 PM. But it was completely covered with mist and so we decided to wait for an hour to give the mist a chance to clear. Then as the mist started to clear it started to rain also. Finally, after 30 minutes or so we could see the view clearly. It was really worth the wait and strongly recommend anybody visiting Ooty not to miss this place. Catherine falls is visible from here and so other falls also. At around 12.30 we started towards Ooty and took lunch at The Culinarium which was situated on the main road itself. Food was ok but costly. Finally returned to the Residency at around 3 PM. Wife as usual found a temple nearby and visited by Auto and returned by 7 PM. Had dinner (all 3 dinners at Ooty were Chapati and Kuruma as per wife's selection).
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-40.doddabetta-peak-road-entry-.jpg
Doddabetta Peak entry
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-41.doddabetta-peak.jpg
Doddabetta Peak
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-42.doddabetta-view.jpg
Doddabetta view

(Dolphin Nose View Point Road and view YouTube link) :
)

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-43.mist-cleared.jpg
Mist Cleared road towards Dolphin Nose
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-44.dolphin-parking.jpg
Parking
Name:  45. dOLPHIN vIEW .gif
Views: 580
Size:  3.78 MB
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-46.dolphin-view.jpg
Dolphin View

6th day -Wednedsay-20.09.2023 (Ooty to Mananthavady):

Had breakfast at around 8 AM and moved on towards Wayanad. There was not much traffic on Gudalur road. On the way wife found out about Needle Rock viewpoint and insisted on visiting. I reluctantly stopped but did not go in. It was a blessing in disguise as I accidentally saw the front wheel which were very hot and making burning smell also(slightly). Fortunately, there was a shop (only one) with tap water and I poured nearly 10 Litres of water on the wheels which cooled them. I suppose out of enthusiasm, I had driven in higher gear than recommended so I had to use brakes more often. Lesson learnt and from then onwards was careful in not crossing 2nd gear (or at most 3rd gear) which reduced brake usage (Checked the wheels during lunch time and also after reaching Mananthavady and found they are ok). Fern Tree resort already informed that lunch had to be taken on the way only (as occupants were almost nil probably due to Nipah). Took lunch at Wilton at Sultan Bathery (recommended) and continued. Took Panamaram short cut route from Meenangadi and then Mananthavady -Panamaram road which goes by the side of Kabini river. Reached the resort around 3 PM. After some rest, we (leaving son in the resort) visited Valliyoorkavu temple (which is our family temple) and returned to the resort for dinner.
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-47.-needle-rock-viewpoint.jpg
Needle Rock Point view
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-48.valliyoorkaavu-temple.jpg
Valliyoorkavau temple
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-49.view-fern-tree-resort.jpg
View From Fern Tree Resort

7th day- Thursday-21.09.2023 ( Mananthavady to Mysuru):

I dropped wife at the temple again at 5.30 AM and returned to the resort. After (complimentary) breakfast Myself, with Son, went to the temple to pick up wife who skipped the breakfast. Resort manager, after knowing that we were heading towards Mysuru and planning to take Kuttikulam, Nagarahole route, advised to take Bandipur (via Sultan Bathery) route. I already came here using Kuttikulam route last year April and found the road inside the Nagarahole was at most drivable only. So, it was not surprising that this road had gone totally bad now. Again, took Panamaram – Bathery and then Bandipur reserve -Gundlupet- Nanjangud route. Took lunch at The Courtyard Tree Garden restaurant which turned out to be purely north Indian variety. As we assumed that once checked in the apartments, we will not come out and sop directly went to Brindavan Gardens. This Garden now is attracted tourist based on only the past reputation and the current maintenance is not up to its standard. I remember when I visited last some 30 years back, we were allowed on the dam road but not now. But we were able witness the flow of dam water towards TN (I suppose). Spent some time there and checked in at Xcel Luxury apartments. Whole family was not in favour of visiting the Palace( I personally never wanted nearer to anything connected with monarchy). This accommodation does not have facility to provide food and so we went in search or restaurants nearby and within a km Ashirwad (near Puthali park) which had varieties of Veg dishes including chats. Son finished dinner only on chats (without searching for non veg food). Returned to the apartments and retired for the day.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-50.-elephants-bandipur-forest.jpg
Elephants in Bandipur Forest
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-51.-road-inside-forest.jpg
Road inside the forest
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-52.-mysuru-road.jpg
Mysuru Road
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-53.-krs-dam-water-release.jpg
KRS dam Water release
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-54.-brindavan-gardens-.jpg
Brindavan Gardens
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-55.-xcel-apartments.jpg
Xcel Apartments

8th day -Friday-22.09.2023( Mysuru to Bengaluru):

We checked out at 8.30 Am after finishing breakfast at Ashirwad. Son went Grand Mercure (which is a 5-star hotel with Buffet breakfast for Rs 500/-). Took Malavalli route and reached Barachukki waterfalls by 10 AM. There was some water flow (coming from KRS at Brindavan Gardens) in the falls. On the way visited Darga Hasrat to see the other falls Ganganachukki. Even though the falls was very much visible from here, the location was stinky with bad smell and not able to stay for more than few minutes. Then again to Malavalli and reached Sangamam via Sathanur and Dodda Alahalli at around 11. 30 PM. We could see water flow in both Kaveri and Arkavathi River. There was a boat ride available to the other shore but son was not interested (he will not go on water ride without safety equipment at least jacket). Unfortunately, the fish shops were closed and we took lunch at Hotel Mayura which was ok. Started towards Bengaluru via Kanakapura road and reached Hulimavu (SIL’s House at around 5 PM). Retired for the day after dinner.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-56.-roads-sivasamadram.jpg
Road to Sivasamudram
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-57.barachukki-waterfalls.jpg
Barachukki Falls
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-58.ganganachukki-waterfalls.jpg
Ganganachukki Falls
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-59.road-sangamam.jpg
Towards Sangamam
Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-60.sangaman.jpg
Sangamam

9th day Saturday 23.09.2023 ( Bengaluru to Airport to Hosur):

Our son had his flight at 9.00 PM to Cairo so we planned to start at 2.00 PM. But son insisted at 3.00 PM start (as it will be too early for him as he had business class tickets). Finally accepted for 3 PM start reluctantly (I could somewhat explain him about notorious traffic problems of Bengaluru). My never had any hesitation in the last one week while driving even in ghats, mist, forest roads etc but had to plan for this airport trip meticulously. Unable to decide which route, finally decide to make it simple and followed the straight route via Dairy Circle, JC Road, Palace Road, Mekhri Circle, Hebbal Flyover and to Airport. It took around 2 hrs (being afternoon and Saturday). Dropped son and had to return to Hosur to my sister’s house. Wanted to avoid the city roads, took Budigere, Whitefield, Koralur, Chikka Tirupati, Bagalur route. Reached Hosur at around 8.30 PM. Took dinner and retired.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-61.-chikka-tirupati-bagalur-road.jpg
Chikka Tirupati to Bagalur Road

10th day Sunday 24.09.2023 ( Hosur to Pondy):

Started towards Pondy after breakfast at around 9 Am. Took Krishnagiri, Mathur, Uththangarai, Tiruvannamalai, Tindivanam Route. Now Chengam, Tiruvannamalai Bypass roads are complete. Planned to take lunch near Tindivanam but reached Pondy by 1.00 PM itself so took lunch only at Pondy and then reached home.

Trip from Pondy to Palani, Ooty,Wayanad and Mysuru-62-thoruvannamalai-hill.jpg
Tiruvannamalai Hill and the Gopuram from Bypass Road

Summary Points:

1. Roads conditions in TN is really very good, even the interior roads. Only Pykara Boat House Road was in bad shape. For Ooty, Kotagiri Road is better option as repair work is going on the other road in some places. In Kerala also roads were good except in few places near Panamaram. On the other hand in Karnataka, Bandipur forest to Mysuru via Gundlupet was not in tolled road standards( drivable though). Many place only patch works have been done. Road just before Barachukki falls had plenty of potholes (which is supposed to be a tourist attraction for Bengaluru and Mysuru people). Kanakapura Road is under construction/expansion and so was as expected. For Bengaluru airport -Hosur trip Budigere, Whitefield, Chikka Tirupati Road is good alternative. Except for few places, roads were in good condition. (I was actually worried about a small portion between Chikka Tirupati and Bagalur, but that turned out to be the best road in this route). Hosur to Pondy via Mathur, Uthangarai is very well done now.

2. No Checking at the borders might be due to presence of family. Nipah virus scare is history I suppose.

3. All the hotels and apartments where we stayed were good and comfortable. In Palani very few decent hotels are available and Divine Fort is one of them. Two Seas Residency at Ooty is the best in this tour. Fern Tree is a resort (at Mananthavady) so it was as expected (and costliest). Xcel Apartments at Mysuru also was good but only food to be managed outside.

4. We carried water in steel bottles (after hearing surprise checks in Ooty roads) but nobody checked.

5. Initially I had hesitation about 10 days car driving (I am 57 and the only driver and though wife and son both can drive, I don’t allow them) but as the tour progressed, I was more and more eager to be on the road than indoor. This might be due to the fact that the routes involved all kinds (with the exception of snow) including dirt tracks also.

6. Also, I could check the condition of my lungs and return in one peace as in many places we needed to climb. In Palani, it was hill climb (though through elephant path) and in Ooty also climbing could not be avoided to reach waterfalls or views.

7. Finally, about our car which is Spresso (Manual -2022 -K10B) which behaved beautifully throughout the trip. Small foot print and high GC helped in many tight situations. AC is still a chiller. Could take Airport Traveller and 3 more bags (with parcel tray). Most of the places BSNL worked and so we could use GMaps in AA. Only problems were due to small tank (27 litres), petrol bunk visits were frequent (not serious issue). Overall gives around 20 km/lit average. If speed is kept around 80, it will be around 23 km/lit also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kvsneela is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 14:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post

Most of the places BSNL worked and so we could use GMaps in AA. Only problems were due to small tank (27 litres), petrol bunk visits were frequent (not serious issue). Overall gives around 20 km/lit average. If speed is kept around 80, it will be around 23 km/lit--
For such long travels, always download offline maps in google a couple of days prior to starting journey and also keep google map app updated before starting off. When vehicle is in no network area, maps will automatically go to offline mode. During that time.live traffic and other road alerts will be unavailable.

Also the small tank is not that small. Assuming an average mileage of 15kmpl, the car should be able to go 400kms till it runs out of fuel.

In any case, continuous journey driving for more than 200 kms / 3 hours at a stretch is not advisable. The fuel breaks can be also used for bio breaks and for stretching the arms and legs. This will keep us alert over long journeys.

Do try the temples in Thanjavur / Gangaikondacholapuram and the forts in those area.

You can make a Pondy - Tanjore - Madurai - Rameswaram - Karaikudi - Pondy Temple circuit in the weekdays. Tamil Nadu will be relatively cooler in the months of November and December

For more spiritual sojourns you can go Deep South and cover Tirunelveli - Nava Tirupathi (part of the 108 Divya Desams)- Tiruchendur (part of the Six Abodes of Muruga) - Suseendram (Kanya Kumari DT) - Ambasamudram - Papanasam - Srivilliputhur

As always travel in weekdays and avoid the holiday rush for a peaceful drive

Keep travelling and posting
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 21:12   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on successfully completing a nice family trip. Kudos to you for planning and executing such a wonderful trip and being able to fulfill everyone’s expectations.
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks