Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 10:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks for putting together this outstanding travelogue!

Very informative and excellent images.
Much appreciated sir.

Quote:
. He is in the process of getting his truck license, so they can drive even bigger campers!
They seem fully committed to the Vanlife. Lol.
Bigger camper, atleast in the mountains is more pain. I spoke to the folk that were driving the MAN Truck based Motorhome. The length makes it tricky to maneavour in many places. But then, this is only a mountain problem. Elsewhere, they will enjoy it. For sure.

Quote:
Based on what their experience we have been contemplating renting a camper in the Nordics too. Maybe next year.

Jeroen
Motorhome rentals are well established in the Nordics. However, the demand from folk like us with school going kids is quite high. Do book before Apr for a summer travel. I got lucky finding one on short notice.
14000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Lovely pics and amazing narration. Pretty amazed with the way you did very little planning even with daughter and pet and executed the vacation perfectly. Liked the way you spend hiking around and explored in detail.

Can you please share cost structure of Motorhome you used?
Kashi053 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:14   #18
BHPian

Thanks for Sharing the Travelogue. I must say, Astonishing Pictures.

I did a 6-week road trip to Norway in pre-covid times, it’s one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Heck you have exactly covered the places where I had been, right from Voss to Dalsnibba. I started my trip from Kristiansand and moved up North till Lofoten before heading into Sweden. Took my parents along and they were mesmerized by the landscape of the country.

Now on the bucket list is to do another Nordic road trip during winters for “Northern Lights.”

Sorry for hijacking your post and sharing my pics. You could see the similarity in the pictures.

Thanks again for re-igniting the Memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4647.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4638.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4605.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-dsc_334420678x1024.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4661.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4269.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4503.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4512.jpeg  

Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_4666.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 28th September 2023 at 11:19.
NomadSK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:17   #19
BANNED

Wao! just amazing read and treat to the eyes.

I become instant fan of Norway from your narration and mind blowing pictures. Thanks a lot for the efforts taken in writing the long story.

What would be best time of the year to visit such places? What about renting a car and stay ? because i don't see a possibility to use a motorhome for myself.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics!

We had gone on a Norway road trip in 2020, and have been wanting to go back ever since. We didn't hire a motorhome though!

Driving a big vehicle like a motorhome seems a bit intimidating to me But the feeling of waking up next to the mountain and lakes smelling the fresh air must be an experience in itself.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Lovely pics and amazing narration. Pretty amazed with the way you did very little planning even with daughter and pet and executed the vacation perfectly. Liked the way you spend hiking around and explored in detail.
We all enjoy the outdoors and it kind of worked out well. Our laziness in planning leads to improvisation which has somehow worked out for us. Touch wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Can you please share cost structure of Motorhome you used?
I paid 3500 EUR for 18 days. This is Rental + Insurance. I paid 100 EUR more for cleaning since I took along a pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Thanks for Sharing the Travelogue. I must say, Astonishing Pictures.
Thanks.

Quote:
I did a 6-week road trip to Norway in pre-covid times, it’s one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Heck you have exactly covered the places where I had been, right from Voss to Dalsnibba.
6 weeks is a very good window to cover most of Norway if not all. I'm glad you were able to. If you have been to Switzerland, I'm sure you will agree when I say this - Switzerland is over-rated and ultra-expensive.

Quote:
I started my trip from Kristiansand and moved up North till Lofoten before heading into Sweden.
Nice. I've stayed below Trondheim thus far. Next time I go up north. I'm sure Lofoten must've been very pretty. The Nowegian, Swedish and Finnish Lapland regions are all beautiful.

Quote:
Took my parents along and they were mesmerized by the landscape of the country.
I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Now on the bucket list is to do another Nordic road trip during winters for “Northern Lights.”
5- 7 days. I would recommend Tromso. I wouldn't do a road trip though. no sun-light through-out the drive. Will be fatigue-inducing as well boring for the rest of the entourage.

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking your post and sharing my pics. You could see the similarity in the pictures.

Thanks again for re-igniting the Memories.
Indeed very similar pix. After all, the subjects of our photos are the same. lol. In fact, this is my 2nd trip to Norway in a Motorhome. @starrysky thought this was a re-release of the older thread (50 shades of green : Exploring Norway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Wao! just amazing read and treat to the eyes.
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
I become instant fan of Norway from your narration and mind blowing pictures. Thanks a lot for the efforts taken in writing the long story.
Will let Norwegian tourism know that they need to now pay me for promotion. .
I'm happy you read the whole thread. These days the preferred formats are Reels and Videos. Old school story-tellers like myself will become obsolete.

Quote:
What would be best time of the year to visit such places? What about renting a car and stay ? because i don't see a possibility to use a motorhome for myself.
Depends. If, like @Nomadsk, you want to see the Northern Lights, it would be in the Winters. You need to brace up for the cold. There are enough warm clothing one can rent and use. Else, it is summer like I did. I would avoid Spring and Autumn. Too windy and miserable.

Norway, much like any other country, caters to all forms of Travellers- Fly, Take a train, Bus, Rent a car...anything. If you plan meticulously, one can absolutely Rent a car and take hotels at pretty much all the places. I chose the non-generic mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Beautiful pics!

We had gone on a Norway road trip in 2020, and have been wanting to go back ever since. We didn't hire a motorhome though!

Driving a big vehicle like a motorhome seems a bit intimidating to me But the feeling of waking up next to the mountain and lakes smelling the fresh air must be an experience in itself.
It does have the Pull factor. Don't blame you.

Motorhome is overwhelming initially but you get used to it pretty easily. Parking is sometimes a Nightmare but it is definitely doable.

I took my own Coffee Machine and we ended up have fresh hot coffee by the lake whenever we could. That feeling is 100x better than waking up in a hotel. However, the drawback is that we carried along home-chores of cooking and cleaning everyday. Give some, take some.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 28th September 2023 at 12:38.
14000rpm is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

I paid 3500 EUR for 18 days. This is Rental + Insurance. I paid 100 EUR more for cleaning since I took along a pet.
I almost booked one motor-home, then gave it up (too many unknowns, Parking/cleaning/cooking etc) and booked a car rental because of my parents and wanted to wind down at nights in normal beds after long drives. Best part of the trip was, we cooked our meals every time (without this I cannot have a happy trip), REMA 1000 was our go to place for buying raw materials. At night, AirBnB's kept us cozy and comfy.

Quote:
If you have been to Switzerland, I'm sure you will agree when I say this - Switzerland is over-rated and ultra-expensive.
So much agree to this. With friends, I just say that Switzerland is a cleaner version of our own Kashmir, nothing more. However, I felt Nordic countries also expensive.

Quote:
Nice. I've stayed below Trondheim
That's another lovely place, We drove from Eide through atlantic road to Trondhiem.

Quote:
5- 7 days. I would recommend Tromso. I wouldn't do a road trip though. no sun-light through-out the drive. Will be fatigue-inducing as well boring for the rest of the entourage.
Yes, in those harsh winters, not more than a week for sure. Either it would be Tromso or somewhere at Finnish Lapland (Lokka). Agree with you for no sunlight driving would be quite boring, But I find that more intriguing to enjoy the complete wilderness of white landscapes, I Guess it's all about experiences. I had planned for this, but thanks to Covid which threw the spanner in the wheel and now its all about time management.

BTW - Bongo must have had the time of his life, I wish I could take mine (Bruno) for such trips. All he gets is sand dunes to play on

Last edited by NomadSK : 28th September 2023 at 13:19.
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:28   #23
BHPian

Just out of the blue. So beautiful, alluring and serene places.

I very much like past history and watch/watched almost all the ancient historical series/movies. Have watched Vikings, Vikings: Valhalla, The Last Kingdom, Norseman, Game of Thrones and The Witcher. All are beautifully made and very interesting if one follows them as also you have in your well written post with breathtaking photos.

You look very much a Viking too. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Oops I did it again | Exploring Norway in a Motorhome!-img_5104.jpg  

Toni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 14:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I almost booked one motor-home, then gave it up (too many unknowns, Parking/cleaning/cooking etc)
It can get quite overwhelming as it was 5 yrs ago when I took one out for a similar roadtrip back then.

Quote:
Best part of the trip was, we cooked our meals every time (without this I cannot have a happy trip), REMA 1000 was our go to place for buying raw materials.
There you go. You tried your hand at roughing out. Food is bit Hit or miss many times in Norway.

Quote:
However, I felt Nordic countries also expensive.
In general all the Nordic countries are. I was in Switzerland 2 months ago for our '23 vacation. Absolutely trashy hotels were 2 or 3 times their worth. Also, Switzerland has been made expensive very strategically. It is one way of keeping over-tourism at bay.

Quote:
But I find that more intriguing to enjoy the complete wilderness of white landscapes, I Guess it's all about experiences.
Absolutely. We've visited Uncle Santa in Rovaniemi last winter. It has its own appeal.

Quote:
BTW - Bongo must have had the time of his life,
He is an international Khiladi. We got him when we were in US and hence he is an American now in Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
... you have in your well written post with breathtaking photos.
Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
You look very much a Viking too. Thanks.
Thanks
Camera tricks
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

Exchanged some books at this cute roadside Book exchange Library. Hopefully somebody in Norway is reading about Supandi and Hanuman while we picked up books about the Vikings.
I love how an obviously defunct Telephone booth is converted into a library. It looks well-maintained and clean. I hope I live long enough to see the day when we Indians develop this level of civic sense.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
I love how an obviously defunct Telephone booth is converted into a library.
Seems near perfection is in their genes. Have a look at this, Link. I visited few of them during my trip.

This country simply screams "come visit me"
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 16:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
I love how an obviously defunct Telephone booth is converted into a library. It looks well-maintained and clean.
It is actually not unique to this one town nor just Norway. I've seen similar in Switzerland as well.

Quote:
Seems near perfection is in their genes. Have a look at this, Link. I visited few of them during my trip.

This country simply screams "come visit me"
How could I forget - the beautifully designed public toilets scattered around Norwegian Wilderness are well spoken about. We did go to some of them just for the heck of it. Didn't bother to take pix though. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 28th September 2023 at 16:43.
Old 28th September 2023, 16:46   #28
BHPian

It looks so beautiful; the places are amazing. Thanks for sharing!
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 20:56   #29
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your travelogue, Avinash. I have some planning to do, this was truly inspiring.
swe.desi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 08:10   #30

What a beautiful writeup! Norway is truly amazing and what really stood out to me were the book exchange station(ish) and the MAN 4x4, boy is that thing a beast in itself. We live for pictures like these, thanks for sharing G
vagkid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks