Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2023, 12:46   #1
BHPian

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch

This is how it all started:

Flipping across news channels, the common recurring theme was deluge and devastation caused by incessant rains and cloud bursts.
Accidents, fatalities in waterlogged underpasses, landslides and crushing of cars by huge rolling boulders was a scary thing to watch even on TV.
Had made up my mind to not venture out during this monsoon season, but fate had a different plan.
I even joined weekend swimming classes just to improve my chances of surviving a flood like situation.

But then when I randomly checked the site(https://lvg.shar.gov.in/VSCREGISTRATION/index.jsp),
the booking window to view Chandrayaan 3 launch was open.
I had second thoughts on whether to proceed with the registration,
and also wondered if our rocket scientists checked the weather forecast before fixing the launch date and time.

It soon dawned upon me that, Rayalaseema, an arid region, is not making any headlines relating to rivers nearing or crossing the danger mark.
I was still in a dilemma but the visitor entry passes being free, sealed the deal, and the trip was ON.

My humsafar said yay to the trip instantly.
Passion red WagonR Duo is a car to be reckoned with.

I don't have much of a scientific bent of mind, but you never know what can trigger a spark in us that would lead to an eureka moment.
Apple cannot land on our head if we continue to sit in the safe confines of our home, and we need to step out for some action.

Chandrayaan fever gripped me and spread to my family members too, and we binge watched Mission Mangal and Rocketry: The Nambi effect.
My mother had a wide grin watching Vidya Balan, and later Akshay Kumar turn off the stove but still continue to deep fry Pooris, as she too does the same.
Either Bollywood has oversimplified the space rocket nuances, or maybe, aerospace ain't a complicated subject after all.

Realized that the soon to be out of circulation Rs.2000 note has a pic of Mangalyaan.
So, keeping one of it as a souvenir.
Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-rs2000.jpg

I was aware that a previous Chandrayaan mission was once aborted less than an hour before the scheduled launch,
and it would have been a downer, especially for the audience who went all the way to watch live at the view gallery in Sriharikota,
and I didn't want to end up in a similar soup this time around.
Was circumspect on whether Chandrayaan 3 would take off this time exactly on the much publicized schedule.
I was really wishing that the launch would happen without any anticlimax.
Moreover, I didn't want to travel to a faraway remote island, and then return home without this unique experience,
as the very reason for this trip taking birth was for viewing Chandrayaan 3 launch from close quarters at Satish Dhawan space center.
Maa winked at me and said --"Shoot for the Chanda mama. Even if we miss, we'll land among the stars".

I'm very happy and satisfied in the end, as most of my fears and doubts soon got quashed, and the launch event turned out to be a grand success.

I'm apolitical, and doesn't have any leanings towards left, right or center.
However, in awe of our current honorable PM Shri. Narendra Modi.
It amazes me on how he comes up with his travel itinerary with him being at different parts of the world on the same day.
Unbelievable if not for the live telecast of his presence at inaugurations, road shows, campaign speeches and meetings at varied offbeat places, and such activities does consume heck lot of energy, and him pulling off such acts with ease on a frequent basis in his golden years is remarkable.
I too charted my itinerary on similar lines, and the outline of Day 1 was to visit 5 temples in and around Mulbagal between morning to noontime, 2 temples and a goshala in the evening at Tirupati, and arrive at Srikalahasti at night.
Used Srikalahasti as a base to reach launch pad station in Sriharikota on the next day.
As such, I didn't want to rush through the places just to tick them as visited, but wanted to walkthrough them at a leisurely pace.

Detailed itinerary that I followed for reference:

Day 1(13-July-2023) Mulbagal, Tirupati & Srikalahasti:

Left Bangalore at around 5AM
Arrived at Koladevi Garuda Temple at around 7.45AM
Unusually, temple wasn't open by then. It's the very first temple which I visited before it's opening time
It opened at 8AM, and being an early bird was advantageous as I was able to get a good spot in the inner sanctum having a direct view of the presiding deity -- Jataayu Garuda.
Spent over 90mins as the preaching by the priest was mesmerizing.
Priest had a good grip over Garuda Puranam, and I was glued to his words as he continued to elaborate interesting things like -- despite Eagle and Snake being archenemies, Garudmantha here adorns 8 snakes on him.
Pravachan was going on in a good flow, and there were explanations on why rituals like Sarpadosham are performed, and the various steps in the Abhishekam and their associated significance.

Soon, lot many devotees thronged, and everyone maintained decorum except for one out of so many.
This one person was frequently getting calls on his mobile, and he soon started throwing tantrums about him not having a good view point of the idol even after his family paying Rs.1100 towards Abhishekam puja.
The priest countered him saying that not everyone can be accommodated to have the best views, and he should learn to accept his karma.
This annoyer even passed on his mobile to me to record the Abhishekam, and I interrupted Archaka to seek his permission which was duly declined.
Another of the devotee reactively gave his piece of mind and put an end to his continuous nagging which seemed impossible few seconds ago
I then remembered the famous dialogue of Nana Patekar -- "Ek machhar aadmi ko _____ bana deti hain".
In a way, I too wanted to record, as the discourse by the priest was way too good, but withheld myself from doing so.
Digitizing it for the sake of posterity would have been beneficial though.

After seeking blessings from the priest, and also from the Garuda carrying Vishnu & Lakshmi on his shoulders, we moved towards prasadam queue.
Got served hot and spicy pulao as prasadam at the temple, and it's taste still lingers on in my mouth.
Two ducks came by to clean up the leftovers, and I was stunned to watch them eat red chilies. A dog joined them,
and was nice to see predator and the prey feasting veg pulao together.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-ducksndog.jpg

Left Garuda temple at around 10AM, and reached Kurudumale after a short drive on village roads with fields on either side.

Ganapati at Someshwara Temple

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-someshwaraganapathi.jpg

Legend of Someshwara Temple:

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-someshwaratemple.jpg

One of the temples here is in a dilapidated state, and Muzrai department or ASI should put efforts towards bringing it out of ruins.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-templeinruins.jpg

Legend of Kurudumale Ganesha Temple:

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-legendofkurudumale.jpg

Kootadri aka Koodumale aka Kurudumale

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-koodumale.jpg

Shri Sridevi Bhudevi Sametha Chennakeshava Temple -- This temple is bit on a uphill behind Kurudumale Vinayaka Temple.

Arrived at Sri Hanumantha Temple at Mulbagal at noontime.
gmaps navigated us through some interior alleys of the town.
In hindsight, it's better to avoid that path and alternatively reach via Mulbagal bus stand road.

It's a fairly large temple complex, and has Lizard, Wish tree, and several other deities like Padmavati Thayar, Govinda Raja, Padmanabha Swamy.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-mulbagal.jpg

Flying Hanuman:

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-flyinghanuman.jpg

Legend of Sri Anjaneya Swami Devasthana:

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-sri-anjaneya-swami-devasthana.jpg

Had darshan of Lord Sri Krishna at around 4PM in ISKCON Tirupati.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-iskconpond.jpg

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-iskcon.jpg

Fed Cows at ISKCON Goshala.
A cute calf:

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-iskcon-goshala.jpg

Kapila Theertham, Tirupati

Started to drive towards Srikalahasti in the dark night. Little did I know that the road is being extended and there were several diversions, speed humps and mix-up of lanes.
Not recommended to drive between these temple towns after sunset.

Arrived at Srikalahasti Temple at about 8.20PM.
Temple over here was open till 9PM and could have had a darshan at night, but our batteries were down by then, and we called it a day.

Day2 -- Srikalahasti & Sriharikota :

Had darshan at Srikalahasti temple.
I knew Sri represents Spider, Kala is Snake, and hasti is Elephant.
The same were adorned on the 3 sides of the Dhvajasthambam, and I was curious on what could be on the 4th side.
It happened to be that of Bhakta Kannappa with his leg lifted on Shiv Linga.
My curiosity was satiated.

There was a well(Saraswathi Theertham), whose water is supposedly possess antidote to stammering.
Instinctively, tossed a coin into it.

This temple has large corridors and AC in the main sanctum sanctorum.
The walls of the Goddess Gnana Prasunambika Devi were adorned with large canvases of ornaments like Pagoda, Kaliki Turai etc.
There are 4 painted marks on a floor, and if we stand on each of them, we could view 4 different gopurams.

Annandanam meals during lunch was scrumptious, and alpaaharam(Upma+chutney) at night was tasty too.
Milk Khova sold by the Kalahasti co-operative was finger-lickin' good.
Temple sells variety of prasadams: Jilebi, Pulihora, Vada, small laddoo and big laddoo.
Had a taste of each of them. Vada was very very hard and I couldn't chew it.
Taste of Laddoo was damn good, and purchased plenty of them to distribute to my near, dear & known ones back home.

Swarnamukhi river infront of the temple had little to no water.

After topping up our tummies at Srikalahasti temple, it was time to start our drive towards the mega show at Sriharikota.
Long stretch of road between "BN Kandriga" and Sullurupeta is narrow and can utmost fit in two cars.
If we encounter any wide vehicles like truck/bus, then one of them has to get part of their vehicles into large craters formed beside the tarmac.
Fortunately, there weren't many such encounters, and soon crossed Sullurupeta and Pulicat lake.

There wasn't much water in Pulicat lake either.
Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-pulicatlake.jpg

Soon after, encountered a swarm of cars near the launch view gallery parking hub.

Parking lot was filled with School buses, AC coaches, tractors, cars and Thars. It resembled a Carbon Monoxide gas chamber.
Absentmindedly, left out my umbrella in my car boot as I didn't realize the Sun power till the time I was in the AC cabin of Car.
Perhaps due to the loose grained soil in the area, there was less greenery around, and the afternoon scorching Sun didn't help either.
There was a On-Spot registration counter, for the ones who somehow missed out booking during the Online window.

There was no sufficient drinking water, and it was disturbing to watch few people who were carrying extra water bottles declining to offer the same to the dehydrated fellow citizens even when they pleaded for it.
Found it to be a kinda irony that there wasn't drinking water on the grounds of ISRO, but we are launching mission to find water on the Moon.
The last mile pathway to reach the launch view gallery was difficult to walk upon.
It's in dire need of a proper pavement with canopy.
One may watch this short to get a fair idea of what I mean:

Overall, the arrangements by the concerned authorities were not up to the mark for such large gathering of crowd, or perhaps, it's a case of overtourism.

Despite the blazing sun, the open launch view gallery was crammed with people, and there was no space to even put one small step for a man.
I then made use of the popular Bengalureans quote -- "Swalpa adjust maadi", and joined the crowd.
The atmosphere was electrifying and the cheers during the countdown of the rocket launch, and finally when the Chandrayaan 3 took off with a booming sound was a great experience.

Must say that lot many in the hordes of crowd couldn't figure out from where the LVM3 would erupt out from,
as the launch view gallery and the actual launch pad are far apart, and would need a super zoom lens to get a closeup look.

Day 3(Sri Prasanna Venkateswara Swamy Temple, Appalayagunta):

Checked out of Srikalahasti in the afternoon and started driving towards Appalayagunta.
Enroute, there is a railway gate near Pudi station, which seemed to have been deliberately closed so that passengers in the car become customers of a nearby soda stall.
Unknowingly, we fell in this trap, and alighted from the car to have lemon soda.
Once our order was placed, the railway gate got opened, and there was no train in sight from a long time.

Soon reached the abode of the Lord Balaji, and blissfully had his darshan.
It's a well maintained temple by TTD(Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam), and also offers Annadanam.
Just drank spicy hot Rasam here, which gave the needed kick to keep my eyes wide open while driving.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-appalayagunta.jpg

Time was nearing to close out this wonderful journey, and we were all set to return to Bangalore non-stop.

Fuel indicator needle was hovering on Red while I was nearing AP-KA border, but my middle class mentality got activated and I delayed filling up gasoline for I wanted to cross into Karnataka considering Petrol is cheaper here by around Rs.10 relative to Andhra Pradesh.
Unfortunately, car got stalled due to empty fuel tank.
My mom gave me an earful, and questioned me on what I would buy with the meagre pennies saved that I can't already buy now.
I immediately jumped out of my car with empty coke bottles in each of my hand, and luckily found an Auto waiting for hire and managed to return soon with sufficient fuel for my car to resume the journey.

While nearing Hoskote, it was raining cats and dogs. So, I parked my car just after crossing the toll booth.
Couldn't wait long enough as there were several garbage trucks lined up, and the stench emanating from them was unbearable, and I resumed my drive even before the heavy downpour could subside.

Reached sweet home late in the night without any further ado, and this trip will surely be etched in memories as a sweet one.

Few numbers for the interested:
Car in LPG mode and fulltime AC delivered a mileage of ~15kmpl.
Didn't keep a track of the same in Petrol mode.

Cumulative Parking fees at Mulbagal, Tirupati, Srikalahasti is Rs.200
1-way toll charges paid is Rs.255. Same route and amount paid during return journey.
Parking fee collection contract seems more lucrative to setting up of Toll booths.
Toll paid at plazas -- Hoskote(Rs.20) , Mulbagal(Rs.85), Nangli(Rs.30), Gadanki(Rs.120)

It's time to wind up. Cheerio.

Last edited by Prithvi Mundur : 23rd July 2023 at 08:04.
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch

Mod note: Thread moved to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Nice travelogue "Prithvi Mundur". Thanks for the useful information.

Regarding the facilities at the space center, I feel it is better to leave it as is (except drinking water facility) or else this too will become yet another tourist hub and people will start assembling in large numbers. Already it is overcrowded.
Nempuguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 13:48   #4
BHPian

Nice Travelogue. Chandrayan launch, I bet it must have been exciting and a proud, hair raising moment. Same feelings were felt while watching on TV and you watched it live a few kms away from ground zero. Experience doubled.

Happy Travelling.

Last edited by dsuman : 25th July 2023 at 13:49. Reason: Correction
dsuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 20:06   #5
BHPian

Nice coverage of a landmark event which will go down the history. From the video it seems that the launch pad is quite far away, hope they decreased the distance for a more immersive experience.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 23:16   #6
BHPian

Aside from the viewing gallery, large crowds gather around the pulicat lake as well. I was there on the dry lake bed during that aborted launch and the environment was very much like it was a picnic. People brought along their own food and water. But that launch was in the middle of the night and we didn't have to deal with the heat of the sun.

The narrow road to the lake and the launch facility does mean it takes a lot of time to get in or out though.
JagMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 21:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Nice coverage of a landmark event which will go down the history. From the video it seems that the launch pad is quite far away, hope they decreased the distance for a more immersive experience.
Dont think thats possible. From this distance itself the sonic boom is quite strong
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 13:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Nice travelogue "Prithvi Mundur". Thanks for the useful information.

Already it is overcrowded.
Thanks Nempuguru. The mentioned capacity of the open view gallery is 5000 people, but surely, lot more turned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Nice Travelogue. Chandrayan launch, I bet it must have been exciting and a proud, hair raising moment. Same feelings were felt while watching on TV and you watched it live a few kms away from ground zero. Experience doubled.
True that.
It's a rare and unique experience to hear the LVM3's engine boom sound and watch the fire, white imprint in the sky.
It was very energetic and unforgettable atmosphere with lot of whistles and cheers during the takeoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Thanks Sam. Yeah, it's a milestone in our nation's space journey.

Less likely that they would reduce the distance in Sriharikota now.

There is one more launch pad in Thiruvanathapuram, but unsure of the public viewing facilities over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
Aside from the viewing gallery, large crowds gather around the pulicat lake as well. I was there on the dry lake bed during that aborted launch and the environment was very much like it was a picnic. People brought along their own food and water. But that launch was in the middle of the night and we didn't have to deal with the heat of the sun.

The narrow road to the lake and the launch facility does mean it takes a lot of time to get in or out though.
Oops. Hard luck JagMan.
I feel very lucky now that the launch happened on dot.

I don't remember seeing any street/flood lights on Pulicat lake road.
Was there enough lighting at night or moonlight was sufficient for picnic?
I guess, you are a native, but for people unfamiliar with the area, it's a risk walking on the dry lake bed at night.

You are very right, spent lot of time on that stretch, and there was traffic jams at many points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Dont think thats possible. From this distance itself the sonic boom is quite strong
Lina, Several VIPs did come to the event and their entourage didn't enter the general public view gallery parking lot.
They were diverted to a different place.
Guess, there is a separate and closer view arena for VIPs and media personnel.
Old 28th July 2023, 15:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur View Post
It opened at 8AM, and being an early bird was advantageous as I was able to get a good spot in the inner sanctum having a direct view of the presiding deity
You not only prayed to the Gods...

Quote:
...finally when the Chandrayaan 3 took off with a booming sound was a great experience.
But ensured to follow-up on your prayers to make sure it reached This is by far the best follow up any MNC or IT organization can expect.

Your wish shall come true on 23rd or 24th of August 2023.

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th July 2023 at 15:44.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 17:37   #10
BHPian

Talking about the traffic, I was stuck for 3 hours in the parking lot. My car (ZE EV 2021) lost 60km of range waiting there with AC on full blast as the outside temperature was 36C.

Made it to Tirupati with about 30km left in the battery.
Old 28th July 2023, 18:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember seeing any street/flood lights on Pulicat lake road.
Was there enough lighting at night or moonlight was sufficient for picnic?
I guess, you are a native, but for people unfamiliar with the area, it's a risk walking on the dry lake bed at night.
No lights when i went. Only headlights or torches. Most just used their phones iirc. The people that head to the lake bed were also regulars is what I gathered. With many knowing each other already. The people i found out about the trip from and went along with also participate in amateur astronomy clubs. Practically everyone that came to the lake bed itself had some level of familiarity with the area or knew someone that was familiar with it.
JagMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 23:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This is by far the best follow up any MNC or IT organization can expect.

Your wish shall come true on 23rd or 24th of August 2023.
I'm glad that you liked it. Keeping fingers crossed.

Quote:
Talking about the traffic, I was stuck for 3 hours in the parking lot. My car (ZE EV 2021) lost 60km of range waiting there with AC on full blast as the outside temperature was 36C.

Made it to Tirupati with about 30km left in the battery.
Nice to know that you too were there.

I'm bit new to the EV world.
Just in case if we empty the charge and get stranded on a highway, do we then have to depend on RSA or towing service? or can we recharge using power banks or any easy alternatives exist?

Also, is the price at commercial charging stations same across states or does it differ in KA, AP?
Old 30th July 2023, 15:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Nice to know that you too were there.

I'm bit new to the EV world.
Just in case if we empty the charge and get stranded on a highway, do we then have to depend on RSA or towing service? or can we recharge using power banks or any easy alternatives exist?

Also, is the price at commercial charging stations same across states or does it differ in KA, AP?
The car gives a fairly accurate estimate of the range left. So you generally wont get stranded unless you didnt plan. Tirupati-Sriharikota for example is about 200km round trip and my car generally can give about 260-280km. So there was a decent amount of buffer. If however I was stranded for longer, I did have an emergency option at Tada. There are chargers at Sullurpete too but they were not working that day. I had used it when I had come in March.

RSA is the last resort and it is free for the first 5 years incase you get stranded. I have driven 30k+ km in 18 months of owning this car and have thankfully never been stranded. You do have to do a little planning. TN and KL are super EV friendly with lot of fast chargers at major highway restaurants. South KA is also good. Rest of KA and AP are a little sparse with the network but still manageable.

Recharging using power bank etc is not an option. The amount of power is a lot. A "slow" charge is the equivalent of running an AC constantly. A typical highway recharge of 30kW is the equivalent of running 15 ACs continously for about 40 min.
A possible emergency solution could be to ask a truck to pull you while you are in drive mode. The car should charge on its own then through regeneration. Though Im pretty sure it might not be a recommended approach.

The rates are different. AP is definitely higher. KL seems to be the cheapest, followed by KA and then TN.

Last edited by lina : 30th July 2023 at 15:47.
Old 30th July 2023, 19:43   #14
BHPian

Thank you Prithvi Mundur for this wonderful log!. What happens when you show such brilliant log to elderly people. Even they get excited to observe Rocket launches. My parents had visited the PSLV launch earlier today.

Crowds started gathering from morning 5 am for launch at 6:30 am. It was well organized. Parking was good. The approach road is currently being worked on and should be ready in another 3 months time. Schools from Chennai had brought about 1000 kids to witness the launch, electric atmosphere.

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-pslv1.jpg

Through the eyes of a 66 year old:
Surreal feeling. This reminds of the first steam engine train ride that you will have as a teenager, for people born after Independence you have in the 60s and 70s. Must visit in a lifetime, especially for children.
Attached Thumbnails
Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-pslv3.jpg  

Temple run and viewing of Chandrayaan 3 launch-pslv2.jpg  

SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 08:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
The people i found out about the trip from and went along with also participate in amateur astronomy clubs. Practically everyone that came to the lake bed itself had some level of familiarity with the area or knew someone that was familiar with it.
Thanks for sharing your memories, and skywatching is a nice & rare hobby to have.

Found it to be kind of an anomaly that there was no bridge over the Pulicat lake, but instead the road was laid out bisecting the lake.
Is Pulicat lake dry yearlong? Asking because the connecting road to Sriharikota would be submerged if the lake brims up with water.
Believe, you would know about this lake and the island better.

Quote:
I have driven 30k+ km in 18 months of owning this car and have thankfully never been stranded.
Touchwood.
30K+ in 18months is very high and the best use case for EVs.
Much thanks lina for the elaborate details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
Thank you Prithvi Mundur for this wonderful log!. What happens when you show such brilliant log to elderly people. Even they get excited to observe Rocket launches. My parents had visited the PSLV launch earlier today.
I'm glad to know that's how it all started at your side

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks