Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:50   #31
BANNED

Re: An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I have been into general photography (portraits, cars, landscape etc.) for a long time. But this was my first macro photography trip.

Mr. Vipul conducts many trips on Herping, birding, animal photography etc. He updates his programs on WhatsApp and people who have already attended his events received these updates. If you are into animal/bird photography or herping, send me a PM. I will share his number.

Thank you for the kind words! Are you from Coimbatore too settled in Bangalore?

Thank you for the kind words. These are not shot with a telephoto lens. But with a 100mm F2.8 macro lens. All the shots of the snakes are taken less than 1 feet from the subject. Due to this closeness to the subject, wide apertures will have very shallow depth of field. So, most of the pictures are shot using F11 or F13 or even F20, with a flash to compensate for this narrow aperture.
Thanks for the details. Spotting them when they are camouflaged deep in woods and approaching them at this close distance with least disturbance with a vibe signaling that its harmless and taking a still shot, while holding your camera gear, with finger movements on your dial(may provoke the subject) is I am trying to digest. Great Sir. Excellent! You need the courage above all else this result is not possible. Great work.....
Velmurugan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Re: An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe

Thanks for starting this awesome thread Graaja & Robimahanta ! It was great catching up with you both during my first herping trip to Agumbe (a mini Tbhp meet in a rain forest ). This being my first time, the experience was simply fantastic and a huge thanks to Robi for making this possible.

Here are a few of my favorite shots of the not-so-creepy crawlies -

Green Vine Snake

A beautiful creature which camouflages extremely well with the light green leaves. I will definitely vote for it if snakes decide to organize a beauty pageant !
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0503.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0507.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0530.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0597.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0646.jpg

Malabar Pit Viper

Another master of camouflage, it redefines the word patience as they can wait for 3 months at a specific place for a nice meal !

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0096.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0115.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0133.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0024.jpg

Malabar Gliding Frog

This beautiful tree frog repeatedly breaks and sets Guinness World Records for longest gliding jumps which are of the order of ~100x its own size !

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0285.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0323.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0387.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0362.jpg

Cicada

This image depicts the initial moments of a Cicada's first taste of this planet as it emerges from its temporary home to light up the forest with a chorus.
These neon wings will only stay in this magical state for 15-20 minutes after which they will assume the mundane brown color. It is at this point when this tiny winged creature is the most vulnerable as the wings are too wet to fly.

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0413.jpg

Woolly Caterpillar

This calm and peaceful guy pretended to be in Shimla with a full coat of woollens !

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0538.jpg

Lantern Bug

An interesting natural history moment involving a Lantern Bug being Milked by an ant.

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0571.jpg

Mushroom

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-dsc_0443.jpg

This herping trip to Agumbe involved plenty of walks through the rain forest and it gave us so many beautiful sights and sounds to cherish forever. Vipul led us to this beautiful waterfall inside the jungle and the only direction to reach this place was 'Just follow the stream !'.

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_110247.jpg

We also came across this misty green meadow that seemed to have its own magical charm.

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_175549.jpg

And now, here are the people responsible for this fantastic trip -

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_182417.jpg

Bhpians Graaja & Robimahanta taking a break

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_235328.jpg

Vipul working his magic, as the rains pour on

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_112702.jpg

Graaja 'streaming' on Spotify !

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-20230714_111648.jpg

The entire team (Karan, Bhpians - Graaja, Robimahanta, turboNath along with School Principal - Vipul & Shreyas
turboNath is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 07:38   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Turbonath. Great pictures. I forgot to share the cicada images. Once when it fell on the umbrella and once when it was just immerging.
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-img_6651.jpeg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-015a5697.jpeg
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:05   #34
Team-BHP Support

Amazing pictures all! The best part of Macro photography is you can be alone in this world and still enjoy the micro-company! You just dont know how the time flies!

I definitely love it. But will I go to ARRS? Na! Like others even I turn off channels which show the slithering ones !

All said and done amazing work with lighting ! And that is the only reason, my most used lens even for daily use remains the 100mm 2.8 L IS macro.

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2023 at 09:41.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 08:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the kind words! Are you from Coimbatore too settled in Bangalore?
Yes sir. Born and brought up in Vadavalli/Veerakeralam area. Settled in Bangalore for 20 years now.

Seldom have I followed anyone's advice/recommendations/threads like I follow yours. You have been an inspiration for my weight loss journey, handling my pre-diabetic stage and much more.
Naetik30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 09:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
...sharing a few which I processed to add to your thread.
Fantastic pictures Robi. The framing and exposure of the images are superb. Especially, the ones with the light play are totally different level. Thank you for introducing me to this program. I greatly enjoyed the time we spent in this program. And it was fun following your Thar on those winding roads on the return. Looking forward to many more trips in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
Here are a few of my favorite shots of the not-so-creepy crawlies -
Awesome pictures Turbonath! It was great meeting you in the workshop. Looking forward to seeing you in many more photography trips in the future. Hope to join you in some of your birding trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Yes sir. Born and brought up in Vadavalli/Veerakeralam area. Settled in Bangalore for 20 years now.

...You have been an inspiration for my weight loss journey, handling my pre-diabetic stage and much more.
You are very kind. I am really glad that I could be of some help in your health and fitness journey

Great to know you are from Vadavalli. I too am settled here in Vadavalli. Maybe we get to meet sometime in the future.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 11:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post

Cicada

This image depicts the initial moments of a Cicada's first taste of this planet as it emerges from its temporary home to light up the forest with a chorus.
These neon wings will only stay in this magical state for 15-20 minutes after which they will assume the mundane brown color. It is at this point when this tiny winged creature is the most vulnerable as the wings are too wet to fly.

[/center]
This pic is phenomenal. I was glued to this for more than 15 minutes. Many thanks for sharing this.
Krish_Diesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 21:33   #38
BHPian

WOW Amazing pictures coach. Enjoy how you get into the detail of everything but still keep it understandable. Thanks for sharing.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks