Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 11:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe

Stunning photography and a great adventure!

I was thinking how much I would like to do something until I read about the leeches. I am sure after a while you might not notice them anymore. But I don’t think I want to go that far/long.

Thanks for sharing, wonderful story

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 11:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe

Leeches are disgusting, but after a while, you just get used to them. We used to try everything during our monsoon treks at Agumbe- leech socks, soaking the socks in salt water, rubbing salt on the shoes and arms, tobacco, burning them off with cigarette ends. All that helps cut down the number of the buggers that attach themselves to you, but after a while, you just ignore them. Packing some rock salt in the corner of a handkerchief and using that to peel them off in the wet is my method to deal with them. The sores still itch like crazy for a few days after!

The Golden Rule was - Don't, Don't Bring A Leech Into The Tent. Even if that meant stripping outside the tent and checking before entering!

Last edited by am1m : 20th July 2023 at 11:54.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome thread Graaja! Covered everything in meticulous detail as usual. It was great having you for the Agumbe tour. Looking forward to many more trips with you. Cheers!

Since you have covered most of the species with great images I am just sharing a few which I processed to add to your thread.

Bicolour frog female
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-bicolor.jpg

Golden back frog (diffuser worked well in this one)
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-golden-back.jpg

Bull Frog
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-bullfrg.jpg

Club tailed damsel fly
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-damsel.jpg

A back lit caterpillar
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-bklit-caterpillar.jpg

Lantern bug with ant
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-lantern.jpg

Plant hopper which is around 1cm in size
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-plant-hopper.jpg

Brown morph Pit viper up close
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-brwn-pit-close.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-brwn-pit.jpg

Green morph Pit Viper
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-green-pit-head-.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-green-pit-side.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-green-pit.jpg

Green Vine Snake experiments with light
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-bklit.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-open.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-side-lit.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-straight.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-tongue.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-gv-water-drop.jpg

Malabar Gliding frog sticky pads
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-mlbr-backlit.jpg

Malabar gliding frog perspectives
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-mlbr-head-.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-mlbr-peep.jpg

An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-mlbr-side.jpg

Back lit mushroom
An Appointment with Snakes, Frogs and Leeches – A Herping / Macrophotography Trip to Agumbe-mushroom.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Incredible pictures from you both. If there is anyone in Bombay who knows people who do helping, please ping me. I am sure sanjay Gandhi national park will provide many opportunities.
click is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Hi grajja,
Great photos and travelogue.
Enjoyed to the fullest.
mahadev_kc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 18:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent - a few questions

1. You have mentioned the host "explained in detail the characteristics of snakes, how to behave around them". For someone like me who goes hiking around waterfalls especially during monsoon, many of them after trekking through forest-y areas (e.g. I was hiking near Agumbe ghat 2 years ago to the Koodlu falls); are there any precautions to consider to not disturb snakes?

2. How much did this trip cost? Is there a site where details of such events are published (you mentioned enrolling)?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 19:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Excellent - a few questions

Is there a site where details of such events are published (you mentioned enrolling)?
The place is the Agumbe Rain Forest Research Station - http://agumberainforest.org/

Many people hold camps there like Gerry Martin, The Madras Crocodile Bank, and also - -rarely now, and if you are lucky the fantastic Rom Whitaker himself. Rom can be reached at
Kingcobra@gmail.com and also kingcobra2@gmail.com

The ARRS is pretty hardcore. And full of leaches - the only thing that’s kept me from going. I am mortally scared of leaches (and ghosts - but I am sure none are around at the ARRS)

If you want a somewhat lesser dive into snake habitat, and especially more to do with “casual” trekking, I strongly recommend Pradeep who is in Mysore. He can set up hikes into forests and also give you first hand experience with snakes and snake handling. His number is +91 98808 97167

Since you are in Bangalore, you can also spend some time at the Gerry Martin Farm, where he talks about and introduces snakes and snake handling.

You Bangaloreans are lucky that way - an awful lot of choices nearby for wilderness and treks and snakes!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 20th July 2023 at 19:25.
thirdmainroad is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 20:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

I would like to thank Robi for introducing me to Mr. Vipul and this program. Mr. Vipul was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about snakes and frogs and on macrophotography techniques. He was very patient with all the participants and made sure that we got the shots right every time. He would make us adjust the settings till we got the shot right. He gave us tips on frame composition, playing with light etc. I look forward to joining him in more of his programs in the future.

Note: I do not have any commercial affiliation with Mr. Vipul. All my comments are based on my experience from participating in this program.

That's all folks I have on this trip! Thank you for reading.
Excellent thread. Loved the pictures by both of you.

Didn't you find the great King? I thought Agumbe is famous for the King Cobra.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 22:59   #24
BHPian

Lovely pics Made a great read.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 07:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Extraordinary travelogue coach...
Thank you so much for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
How did you leeching go? Did you loose the aversion? Dang them to HELL! Aaaargh!

Fantastic photos and write up! Really enjoyed your thread!
Thank you for the kind words! I can't say I got over leeches completely. But 80% of the aversion was gone on the 2nd and 3rd days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Dear graaja
What a Travelogue and absoutely stunning photographs !
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The full resolution pictures are mind blowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Superb pics and narration. As I mentioned earlier, ARRS used to (still do?) conduct 2 / 3 day workshops...
Thank you for the kind words! I believe ARRS themselves do not conduct programs anymore, but allow others to conduct programs. Like Mr. Vipul who did this program. There was another group who came on Saturday with another expert guiding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Beautiful photos and a lot of information there!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Dear Graaja - Another stunning thread. From Galaxies and Nebulas to Snakes and Frogs, it is as contrasting as it can get!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Stunning photography and a great adventure!...
Thank you so much for the kind words Jeroen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The Golden Rule was - Don't, Don't Bring A Leech Into The Tent. Even if that meant stripping outside the tent and checking before entering!
Haha. Well said. This was an important rule we had too. But some of the guys would be in a hurry to get into the house after the field trip, that we used to see a few leeches inside the house too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Incredible pictures from you both. If there is anyone in Bombay who knows people who do herping, please ping me. I am sure sanjay Gandhi national park will provide many opportunities.
Thank you so much for the kind words! Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge about anyone who may be conducting Herping in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Great photos and travelogue.
Enjoyed to the fullest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
1. You have mentioned the host "explained in detail the characteristics of snakes, how to behave around them". For someone like me who goes hiking around waterfalls especially during monsoon, many of them after trekking through forest-y areas (e.g. I was hiking near Agumbe ghat 2 years ago to the Koodlu falls); are there any precautions to consider to not disturb snakes?

2. How much did this trip cost? Is there a site where details of such events are published (you mentioned enrolling)?
1. Being aware of the surroundings is the best way to safety. Big snakes like the Cobra avoid humans and it will be difficult to even spot them. Camouflaged species like the pit viper are mostly on trees and maybe on rocks. Just be careful on where you step and where you rest your hands etc. Wearing good hiking shoes or gum boots also will protect the legs from any bites.

2. We paid 21K for the 3 day program. Enrolling is mostly through word of mouth. I got to know him through RobiMahanta. And another participant had come to know of this program through another friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Excellent thread. Loved the pictures by both of you.

Didn't you find the great King? I thought Agumbe is famous for the King Cobra.
Thank you for the kind words! We did not spot the King Cobra. During the orientation program itself Mr. Vipul mentioned that it is very rare to spot the King Cobra as it is a very shy snake and will avoid human contact. He himself has spotted the King Cobra only 6 times or so in several years of his stay in ARRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Lovely pics Made a great read.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:31   #26
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Incredible pictures from you both. If there is anyone in Bombay who knows people who do helping, please ping me. I am sure sanjay Gandhi national park will provide many opportunities.
BNHS does this regularly at the National park, in Bombay, around Bombay and outside. Recently they did a similar trip to Amboli Ghats with night treks for shooting snakes etc. Just go to their site and you will see list of local (Bombay) , national and international trips (https://www.bnhs.org/)
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:55   #27
BHPian

What a wonderful travelogue and great photos. It takes a lot of courage to do macro photography of snakes that to venomous snakes. Hats off to you for taking the leap and conquering your fears. Was it your first exposure to photography or have you been into photography for a long time. Does Mr Vipul regularly conducts such programs, How can one get in touch with him?
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:34   #28
BHPian

Wow. What pictures!!!

And extremely happy and proud that you are from Coimbatore as well!!!
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 18:02   #29
BHPian

Absolutely spectacular pictures and the efforts could be seen. Snakes close up shots was deadly. I presume you must have taken 70-300mm lenses with larger f/number (say2.x) and 50mm macro for others. It would be helpful if you could share the settings for each photo. Absolutely stunning pictures. Keep it up!
Velmurugan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 20:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkumar View Post
What a wonderful travelogue and great photos...

Was it your first exposure to photography or have you been into photography for a long time. Does Mr Vipul regularly conducts such programs, How can one get in touch with him?
Thank you for the kind words. I have been into general photography (portraits, cars, landscape etc.) for a long time. But this was my first macro photography trip.

Mr. Vipul conducts many trips on Herping, birding, animal photography etc. He updates his programs on WhatsApp and people who have already attended his events received these updates. If you are into animal/bird photography or herping, send me a PM. I will share his number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Wow. What pictures!!!

And extremely happy and proud that you are from Coimbatore as well!!!
Thank you for the kind words! Are you from Coimbatore too settled in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmurugan View Post
Absolutely spectacular pictures and the efforts could be seen. Snakes close up shots was deadly. I presume you must have taken 70-300mm lenses with larger f/number (say2.x) and 50mm macro for others. It would be helpful if you could share the settings for each photo. Absolutely stunning pictures. Keep it up!
Thank you for the kind words. These are not shot with a telephoto lens. But with a 100mm F2.8 macro lens. All the shots of the snakes are taken less than 1 feet from the subject. Due to this closeness to the subject, wide apertures will have very shallow depth of field. So, most of the pictures are shot using F11 or F13 or even F20, with a flash to compensate for this narrow aperture.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks