Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 23:40   #1
BHPian

3 Days in Budapest

Planning

Budapest was on my dream destination list for a long time. In last 4 years we had made plans 3 times and all got cancelled. Once I had booked my flight tickets and had to cancel it. One of my leisure time hobby is to look at flight prices at aggregator websites and play around with dates and destination. In mid of May, in one of my search, I stumbled upon a dip in the flight prices to Budapest. As most of you know, the flight prices sky rockets in Spring and summer and this was a really nice surprise. When I looked into details, the cheaper prices are for June 10 with return on Tuesday. If a change was made om onward or return dates they were not cheaper anymore. So, on a hunch I booked the flight immediately. I told my wife only after booking the tickets. I also booked an apartment for the entire stay in central part of the city.

As for locations to visit, I don’t need much planning. As its my hobby to add and mark the important places in each cities that I plan to visit. My google Maps look as below

3 Days in Budapest-maps.jpg

Our trips in last two years turned out to be hectic and end the end most of the main destinations were missed. The plan for this trip was to cover main site in leisure and with enough rest and hence prepared an itinerary with these requirements in my mind. This was our final planned itinerary:
  • Day 1: Saturday Afternoon
  • Check-in at Hotel
  • Ferris Wheel
  • Police Man statue/ St. Stephen's Basilica

Day 2: Sunday
  • Buda Castle Funicular
  • Buda Castle
  • Fisherman's Bastion
  • Parliament Photo Spot

Day 3: Monday
  • Central Market Hall
  • Bridges
  • Hungarian Parliament Building
  • Shoes on the Danube Bank
  • Boat Ride

Day 4: Tuesday
  • Flight to Berlin

Flight to Budapest
We decide to take public transport to airport from home, even though it had 2 connections, thanks to Deuschland Ticket. I took around one and half hour, more than what I had expected. It got me worried, as the last time I travelled via BER airport, there was long queues for luggage drop and security. Also this was my first time in WIZZ air and I was concerned about their luggage rules. As the normal tickets in Europes llow budget airlines only allows you a very small backpack for free. Everything else is paid. Even though I had booked 10Kg additional luggage, one of our cabin backpack was bigger than normal. Turned out, they were very casual about the luggage. Mine weighed 10.7Kgs and nobody checked the backpack.
That doesn’t mean, they were any better than Ryanair or Easyjet. The person standing in front of me had some issues while check-in online. The website asked him to approach the Check-in counter at airport. But the staff there said, if you didn’t do online check-in, you have to pay for counter check-in irrespective of the case. Also he had a Trolly bag meant be his cabbing bag, they also charged him for that. In the end he paid 90 Euros in total for check-in and luggage additionally. Seems their rule is that, if the cabin bag is a trolly bag, you have to be a priority ticket or you have to pay.

Luggage drop went faster and so was the security check. In the end we had to wait for 15 mins more to get the gate info.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230610_084253.jpg

The flight was a new A321 Neo with purple and pink livelery. Was cool to the eyes. Also the flight crew were very friendly unlike other budget airlines. The flight was uneventful and we were able to get to exit within 15-20 minutes after landing and collecting the luggage.

Travelling to the City

Before the travel, in all the videos I saw or article I read, every one told to beware of the taxi drivers. So I decided to stick to public transport. We had to take 100E bus for which tickets has to be brought separately from the kiosk or ticket counter or on your mobile. This comes up around 2200HUF/6EUR/530RS per head. The bus was very crowded. Even though the bus was Mercedes made, from the start itself we felt the jerks and jolts. The roads were uneven, cracked or with potholes. Most roads in Budapest was in similar condition except for the roads near to the main tourist destinations. Also the bus driver was driving it rough, switching lanes like he wills, turning bends or corners without slowing and coming to abrupt stops in signals. It was not just this driver, all other buses drove similarly. We reached the central station in 25 mins and from there it was 5 mins walk to Apartment

Budapest

After fresh-up we had our brunch in a near by restaurant in Gozsdu Passage. This was a bustling street with lots of restaurants and small shops. I had heard from my friends that Budapest was cheaper compared to Berlin. Looking at the restaurant menu, I realized this was not the case anymore, probably due to the war and inflation. It costs as much as in Berlin.

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.44.55.jpeg

After lunch, we headed to the Ferris wheel.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230610_143455.jpg

There was no much queue when we reached and got in soon. The view from on top was really nice. Could see the Buda Castle and parliament building form on top.

Parliament building
3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-18.18.44.jpeg

St. Stephen's Basilica
3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-18.18.44-1.jpeg

Central Station
3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-18.18.45.jpeg

From there, we went to St. Stephen's Basilica.
3 Days in Budapest-img_20230610_151015.jpg

After spending some time there, we brought some groceries and headed to the apartment, as we all were tired. The apartment was at a busy and lively street with lots of restaurants around. Downside was that it was very noisy even after midnight

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-18.18.45-1.jpeg

Next day we headed to Buda Castle. We bought the 72Hr Public transport ticket which was priced around 5500HUF/15Eur/1317Rs. Using this we can use any public transport except for the buses to Airport. From the central station we took a bus to the Buda Castle Funicular. Buda castle is located at a small hill.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_135806.jpg

We can go to the castle using public transport or can walk 7 Kms or use Funicular. We decided to use the later. My plan was to use Funicular to go up and from there walk to Fisherman’s bastion. But the Funicular ticket is for return trip and no other option was available. It costed around 4000HUF/10EUR/950Rs per head, but they also charge for the kids which was 2000HUF/5EUR/475Rs. The Funicular ride was nice. Looking towards the Pest side, we can see further and further as we rise up

The view from the top of the castle was awesome. Let the photos decide the talking.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_123248.jpg

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_121105.jpg

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_133214.jpg

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_1327342.jpg

We had our lunch from the The Royal Guard restaurant inside the castle. The food was pricey and did not please our taste buds. We somehow finished the food and got out from there.

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.44.55-1.jpeg

We went down the Funicular and from the bottom of the hill we took a bus to Fisherman’s bastion. From the bus stop, we had to climb some steps. I was almost out of breath when I reached the top while carrying the folded travel buggy. Yet, the view of the church was enough to calm me down.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_141013.jpg

We roamed around the church. There were some nice photo locations but all of them were crowded.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_150541.jpg

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_141102.jpg

There was some kind of Traditional craft on display
3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_143542.jpg

One thing, I didn’t like here was the location of the restaurants. The Bastion had this nice pathways, from where one could see the Danube and the whole of Pest. But these pathways were completely allocated to restaurants. To enjoy the view, one has to go and order something from the restaurant.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230611_143116.jpg

Soon my daughter was tired and she slept in the stroller, so we decided to skip going to the Photo Spot and headed back in a bus. This was a mini electric bus. Also the route was very nice with couple of hairpin bends.

Next day we went to the Budapest Central Market Hall. We took the famous Budapest Metro. Most of the Budapest Trams are service since 1970s. Trams are the best way to see Budapest and it was a different experience. Mind you, being a vintage tram means, differently abled cannot access it and also its very difficult to travel with stroller.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_124222.jpg

At the Budapest Central Market Hall there were lots of local shops selling paprika related food items, vegetables, meat, handicrafts and souvenirs.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_125551.jpg

After a bit of shopping, we had our lunch from a near by restaurant. As usual the food looked good but was nothing to talk about.

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.44.55-2.jpeg

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.44.55-3.jpeg

3 Days in Budapest-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.44.55-4.jpeg

We went towards the Szabadság Bridge and after spending some time, we took another tram to Parliament building. This tram travels by the side of Danube and has one of the best views.

Szabadság Bridge
3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_151015.jpg

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_153450.jpg

After visiting the Parliament building, we went to see Shoes on the Danube Bank monument.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_160845.jpg

Reading the history made our heart swell. There were some tourists who were very disrespectful. One of them placed her foot on one of the shoes and started to click photos as if she was in a shoe shop. There were lots lots of candles and flowers placed on these metal shoes by people who were paying their homages. But these tourist moved those candles with their feet and clicked photos. I had to get out of there, before I lost my temper.

We enquired about the boat rides. Most of them started only after 7PM and was costly. We decided to skip. We walked through the banks from some time and headed back to the apartment.

3 Days in Budapest-img_20230612_163325_1.jpg

Return To Berlin

Tuesday, we had to leave the apartment at 10AM as it was their check-out time. We headed to the airport even though our flight was at 2:40PM. We spend some time at the airport food court. My daughter enjoyed the play area at the airport. At around 2:20PM we boarded the flight. It was also A321 Neo. But this time the flight was rough. Don’t know the reason, but the flight was really uncomfortable. All of us felt dizzy throughout the flight. And the landing was very very rough with constant bouncing eventhough Berlin had a clear sky. Couple of passengers vomited. No explanation was given by the flight crew.

Passing Notes

Budapest is bustling tourist destination. I paid with my Wise(Transferwise) card everywhere except for the Central Market. There I paid using Euro. So never had to exchange currency.

The city was exceptionally clean, far far better than Berlin. All the roads had foot paths, but most were uneven and narrow. Not at all stroller ot wheel chair friendly.

Overall, Budapest is a great city, a bit different than the usual European cities.
chanz2015 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Days in Budapest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanz2015 View Post

Overall, Budapest is a great city, a bit different than the usual European cities.
Same place different eyes. I go to Budapest once in 2 months and always stay at a hotel next to the Chain Bridge. Its funny I have never seen this city with touristy eyes. At best I have visited Ruin Bars in the evening but nothing else. Thanks for the pix. Perhaps I should look beyond a bit more.

Foodwise- I agree. I tried local cuisine a few times but didn't like it. I choose Italian restaurants for the most part when I'm there which, thankfully, haven't disappointed me so far.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 02:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
After a bit of shopping, we had our lunch from a near by restaurant. As usual the food looked good but was nothing to talk about.
Awesome pics and travelogue. Your above comment reminds me of my time living in Stuttgart - in the 90s, while I worked for Bosch. I used to carry crushed red pepper, or paprika powder in a plastic bag when I travelled. Sprinkling it on pizza, or pasta was the only way I could enjoy the food.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 10:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The city was exceptionally clean, far far better than Berlin. All the roads had foot paths, but most were uneven and narrow. Not at all stroller ot wheel chair friendly.

Great Pictures..

Agree, Budapest is one of the cleanest cities I have seen. The city very picturesque in the day and a beauty in the night, especially from the boat with all the lights lit.

I always walk and explore the Cities in Europe, but didn't really observe the size of the side walk. Only time I felt it was narrow was between the Budapest Parliament building and the Danube River

Looks like you gave a miss to Fashion Street area, Heroes Square, Thermal Baths, Ruins Bar, Vajdahunyad Castle and the New Museum Building. Worth seeing if you are visiting Budapest again

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I always walk and explore the Cities in Europe, but didn't really observe the size of the side walk. Only time I felt it was narrow was between the Budapest Parliament building and the Danube River
I felt so about the side walks inside the city, especially near to city center. It was really difficult to push my daughter's stroller..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Looks like you gave a miss to Fashion Street area, Heroes Square, Thermal Baths, Ruins Bar, Vajdahunyad Castle and the New Museum Building. Worth seeing if you are visiting Budapest again
Yes, I know I have missed some places. We wanted to see the city in a leisure pace and hence skipped some places. There is always a next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I used to carry crushed red pepper, or paprika powder in a plastic bag when I travelled. Sprinkling it on pizza, or pasta was the only way I could enjoy the food.
I am always open to trying new cuisine. But here the food was just tasteless. Probably I visited some of the worst restaurants
chanz2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:53   #6
BHPian

I was reminded of the one week we stayed in this beautiful city. Our hotel was on the main road by the Danube and from our 5th floor room, the view of the Parliament building at night was awesome. The first thing we did was to go on a dinner cruise in the Danube, which was expensive, but we enjoyed it. There were a few Indians, including three young girls working in an Indian IT firm. Walking along the side of the Danube, crossing the Chain bridge to the Pest side and enjoying the slight drizzle were unforgettable , as was the trip to the famous market. Since we were not pressed for time, we took a longer boat cruise in the Danube to the famous S bend of the river.
Budapest is one city I wouldn't mind going again
premc44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I felt so about the side walks inside the city, especially near to city center. It was really difficult to push my daughter's stroller..
I assumed you were referring to walking around, but yes the side walks are not stroller friendly

Especially the area around the State Opera and central area has bit of narrow and uneven sidewalks for strollers

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:38   #8
BHPian

The Parliament view from Danube river, from my Budapest trip.

3 Days in Budapest-img_2879-2.jpg
ThatCarGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:56   #9
BHPian

This is what you see at night

3 Days in Budapest-parliament-2.jpg

and during the day

3 Days in Budapest-parliament-copy.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2023 at 06:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
premc44 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 02:54   #10

During my official visit to Hungary for 10 days last year I spent more than half my time in Budapest, I’ve heard horrible stories about taxis from my colleagues in the city and the advice I was given to only stick to bolts and Ubers never to flag down a taxi from the side of the road and get into one as the chances are you will be taken for a ride literally and figuratively. I found the spot at the Fisherman’s wharf to be a best place for a view of the city, there’s also the Labyrinth under the castle hill which has an original Dracula story associated and was something different than the usual European tourist spots. Also one of the highlights was the thermal baths, I had a larger group of people when I visited and I attribute the company to my likeness of the pace but in isolation it’s a missable attraction.
I went in July 2022, with the inflation starting to rise at that time I found the city to be cheaper as compared to Madrid, a 4 course meal with cocktails at one of the best restaurants in the city (Spago for reference) costed well under 5000rs which is comparable to Delhi imo.
All in all I would recommend anyone to visit the city for its split nature of the Buda - the old and Pest the young sides of the city and exploring what it has to offer in terms of culture and attractions!
Attached Thumbnails
3 Days in Budapest-img_0179.jpeg  

3 Days in Budapest-img_0276.jpeg  

3 Days in Budapest-img_0651.jpeg  

Sammybouy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks