Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:03   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
22nd July: Solo ride to Amby Valley

With reference to this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...408-beach.html , I m posting this sunday's ride. I have decided to do one destination each sunday and this week it was Mumbai-Amby valley..

Sunday being a sunday, I got up lazily and it was only after I had my late brunch that I decided to hit the road at around 1pm. The sky was clear, which to me was a big disappointment! Covered distance fast and finally hit the expressway for 6kms

Rode on to Lonavala, no rains :(
Around 3kms before Lonavala, two guys on a Pulsar were coming from the opp direction and failed to negotiate a curve. They went down hard! I stopped for a while and it was shocking to see that no one stopped for them. Turned around and checked on them. Thankfully, they were ok and had a couple of cuts on knee/arm. I always carry first aid and medicines plus water. Washed their wounds, dressed them up with the anti-septic cream and cotton, and advised them to stop for chai ahead and take a break. Carried on, and came across the worst traffic jam even encountered at Lonavala. I realised I had done a big mistake by leaving so late... it took me a good 20mins to negotiate my way upto the amby valley road, where it was even worse! Finally the traffic eased up around tiger point

Carried on towards Amby valley but a few kms short of it, I took a left diversion. The road was a lil rough with no one around and it finally went to the backside of Amby Valley.

View enroute the backside of amby

View enroute the backside of amby

Got a call from a Pune friend that he had seen me go up and was waiting down where the ghats end. While riding back, came across a lil waterfall besides the road

Finally, a couple of kms before I hit the irritating traffic near bushy dam, I took a detour to this lovely place

Shall never ride out late to Lonavala, its a mess! Plus no rains and no fog was a major disappointment. Hope things are better next sunday

Total distance: Nerul (navi mumbai) - amby valley - Nerul : 184kms

Wont be riding next sunday, off to Davanagere, a 12hr one way Volvo trip!
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shall never ride out late to Lonavala, its a mess!
live & learn!

We (manson & myself) left at 6.45, touched lonavala for some udipi breakfast and returned on Sunday as well. The Amby valley road at this time of the year is a nightmare. Too many tourists and traffic.
Quote:
The sky was clear, which to me was a big disappointment!
hahah! For us it was exactly the opposite. Perfect riding weather. Overcast sky, dry roads & cool breeze.

Last edited by Rtech : 23rd July 2007 at 15:25.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bunny nice pics there mate. I love your 1st pic most. Awesome.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too was on Amby Valley Road@Saturday

wow, now thats what i call coincidence !!!

I was driving down to Pune from Mumbai on Saturday ( July 21st) morning and on the spur of the moment, we decided to drive down till Amby Valley and come back. My friend drove the Fiat Petra on the way and I drove it back from Amby Valley, It was one of the most thrilling drives of my life on those absolutely crazy, winding roads and lots of steering and gear changing required, it was bliss. After the drive is over, we were almost panting as we took most of the those dangerous turns at 60-70kmph.

Note: When i reached pune, i spotted a yellow Lamborghini and it was just unbeilevable to see it in flesh. I have taken a few pics and a video, will post it soon.

I am sharing some pics of the my visit to Amby Valley.

Fog enroute

Fog @ 11am near Bushi Dam, Amby Valley Road

Pic of a lake from the top

Wow, loved these winding roads to Amby Valley

Amby Valley Entrance

Old 24th July 2007, 10:30   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

u guys were lucky enuf.. next time on i too shall ride early morning to get a better 'environment'!
Old 24th July 2007, 14:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bunny.. u sure are hopping out of Pune every other day !! Nice pics.

I have postponed the Lonavala trip quite a few times becoz of the amount of return traffic I have seen while travelling from Bombay to Pune on the expressway on a sunday evening!!

But I guess I will have to finally make a trip this weekend. Is there a map of Lonavala area available online? Sadly, Lonavala a black hole in Google maps.
Old 31st July 2007, 11:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures - Lucky you were able to reach amby valley.

A couple of weeks back, my friend and I were caught in the traffic jam at Lonavala for more than 2 hours in the afternoon. Finally decided to quit and took a U-turn at some place and headed towards Karla caves which turned out to be another horrible experience. Plenty of buses full of drunkards, blocking the road and chaos everywhere. Again managed to turn around and headed back to Pune. Home was bliss!

Most Viewed