Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 22:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'

A couple of weeks ago I spend a long weekend in Hamburg, Germany. It was the weekend of the so called Harbour Days. A massive event which brings all kinds of ships, merchant, navy, pleasure, brand new and classic to Hamburg harbour.

Apart from enjoying those harbour days I had booked myself for a ship tour and sailing on the gorgeous 1961 Cap San Diego. I wrote about it on this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post5544687 (Touring the 1961 General Cargo ship - Cap San Diego, Hamburg, Germany)

During my three days in Hamburg I also visited a few other ships, including a Russian submarine museum, which I will show in a separate thread.

This thread is about the Holland, which was also present in Hamburg. There are two sea worthy operational classic Dutch Ocean Tugs, both operated by volunteers and run as museum. In this image, taken during the Hamburg Harbour days, you see both of them.

The one up front is the Elbe, the one behind is the Holland.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1513.jpeg

I have also visited and sailed on the Elbe: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post5418366 (Returning to my first love | Close look at Ships, Tugs & a Cruiseliner)

You will notice that the Elbe looks a bit more tougher than the Holland. The Elbe was designed, owned and operated by Smit. For decades Smit was one of two Dutch Towing company with an unparalleled reputation for ocean towage and salvage. I worked for them as a marine engineer for several years.

The Elbe was a true ocean going tug, whereas the Holland is more a sea going tug. Many people prefer the very gracious lines of the Holland over the Elbe.

Here an old photograph of here, riding the North Sea waves.

Name:  Screenshot 20230611 at 11.22.59 AM.png
Views: 267
Size:  640.4 KB

She was built in 1950 and worked as a tug on the North sea for well over twenty years. She was involved in 161 successful salvages. She also had passenger accommodation and was used, during the summer months, as a ferry to the Dutch island Terschelling. According to her specification she could carry 804 passengers. How, I don’t know. I assume that was standing room mostly, on deck!

Her overall length is 57 meters, with a width of 9,5 and draft of 3.7m. For such relative small ship, she, as all sea/ocean going tugs, do had an impressive range of 11000 nm. (about 20000km) and could reach 16 knots (almost 30 km/h)

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-screenshot-20230611-11.22.19-am.png

I knew the Holland was participating in this event. I more or less stumbled on her on Sunday morning very early when I was strolling along the miles of waterfront and jetties.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1406.jpeg

You will agree, she has a very beautiful bow!

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1407.jpeg

Her call sign was and still is PESK. Which stands for “Paraat en Start Klaar”. Which means Stand by and Ready to start. In those days, many tugs were stationed around the world. They were on constant standby in case of any trouble out at sea.

Although I knew she would be in Hamburg this weekend, I had not really planned on visiting her. It was very early on the Sunday morning. Officially she had not opened up for the public yet. But I chatted to some of the crew members on deck. Most of the volunteers on these museum ships are old merchant seamen, just like me. So they invited me to have a quick look around!

This image is taken from the stern looking forward. Typical deck arrangement for a tug. Those big steel slightly curved pipes across the deck keep the towing line off the deck. In the middle you see a winch.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1410.jpeg

A gorgeous, all copper bits polished, wheel house! The very large copper dome houses the magnetic compass. That brown ball you see next to it, is part of the calibration of the magnetic compasses. (there is one on the other side of the compass as well.) Just behind the compass you can spot the telegraph handle.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1421.jpeg

Main saloon. I am not sure to what extent this is all original. As I mentioned she did sail as a ferry as well. But I doubt they had a proper bar in those days.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1422.jpeg

Now for the real important and interesting bit, the engine room (What else do you expect from a former Chief Engineer!)

Holland is powered by one 10 cilinder 4 stroke, trunk, direct reversible Diesel engine, made by Werkspoor, type TMABS 3910. It has a BBC (Brown Boveri Company) Turbocharger and produces 2100 HP at around 270 RPM. It drives one screw. Direct reversible mean, it can run forward and reverse. On a four stroke engine that requires some clever mechanism that adjust the valve timing amongst other things.

Its cilinders have a stroke of 680mm and a bore of 370mm.

Notice the in- and outlet rockers, the injector in the middle of the head and the individual high pressure fuel pump, one per cilinder.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1408.jpeg

Here the main engine taken from the front. You can just see the inlet air filter on the top right. Some electrical switch panels at the rear.

Notice the blue handles on some of the valves. On board ships, the colour of the valve handle indicates what fluid in inside the respective pipes. In this case it would be the (fresh) cooling water of the engine.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1413.jpeg

Her I have moved a bit more to the right (actually port side) and it shows the manoeuvring stand. The bridge engine telegraph is connected to the one here in the engine room. The bridge would move their telegraph to the setting required, e.g. half ahead. Down here in the engine room that black dial indicator would move to the half ahead position. The engineer on duty would move the handle to half ahead too. That would be replicated by a dial indicator on the telegraph on the bridge, indicating that the engine room had received the order.

Next the engineer would manipulate that large wheel and some levers to get the engine going into and running half ahead. Going from ahead to astern, or vice versa, means stopping and starting the engine in the other direction. (hence the term direct reversible.)

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1415.jpeg

Another view alongside the main engine.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1414.jpeg

Other side

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1416.jpeg

Here you see two of the auxiliary engines. There are Volvo Penta’s driving 145 kWh generators and a smaller Volvo Penta driving a 45 kWh generator. This smaller one is known as the harbour generator. It would provide sufficient power when the Holland is docked. One of the two main generators would need to be switched on to provide electrical power for the Holland underway.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1417.jpeg

Here you see some other parts of the engine room machinery. This is one of the separators or centrifuges. They are used on the main engine lubrication oil. You will also find them used on the diesel fuel. Very messy job cleaning them.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1419.jpeg

A fire pump. You can tell by the red colour!

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1418.jpeg

The main engine lubrication pumps (notice the yellow flanges/valves). Behind it you see the oil cooler.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1420.jpeg

The other Dutch museum Tug, Elbe, was moored right behind the Holland.

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_1409.jpeg

This was only a very short visit to the Holland. I spend a full day on the Elbe and sailed on her too. Have a look here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post5418366 (Returning to my first love | Close look at Ships, Tugs & a Cruiseliner)

I had to cut my visit short as I had booked a ticket on a harbour tour. But it was still fun to have a quick look around the Holland. Comparing here to the Elbe, I visited earlier, the Elbe is a much more beefier tug, in every aspect. Still, the Holland is a very elegant and extremely well kept tug. Given the historical relevance of Dutch ocean towage and salvage, it is great to see these ships being kept in operational state, so future generation can see and feel what “Hollands Glorie” (Dutch Courage) was all about!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th June 2023 at 21:30.
Jeroen is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 23:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'

Note from Support: Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Re: Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'

Arrr! I might be tempted to steal yer hard drive one day, just to set sail on an epic visual voyage through ships and exotic locations.
raptor_diwan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 13:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for this photo tour of this real working boat. For a 70+ year old vessel she is in very good state of maintenance. Kudos to the owners. Looking forward to your thread on the ex-Soviet submarine. That will be quite something.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 17:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely superb!
Fascinating thread. I have always been intrigued by boats ships and marine craft and the Ocean itself.

(Am putting in a couple of light hearted pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_2755.jpeg  

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_2756.jpeg  

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_2757.jpeg  

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_2758.jpeg  

Touring the Dutch sea-going museum tug 'Holland'-img_2759.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:08   #6
BHPian

Being a marine engineer, feels exhilarating whenever and wherever I see anything related to vessel. And the photos from a 70year old vessel looks stunning. I have never been on a tug before, but your photos have given me fair bit of idea. Keep posting such photos chief.
Sunny_7937 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks