Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2023, 14:23   #16
BHPian

Re: A leisurely trip from Hyderabad to Munnar & back

Nice one! Vivera Grand is our regular stay whenever we visit Dindigul laying over onroute to Kodai. It's pretty good for the price and food is good too.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 16:21   #17
BHPian

Lovely post bhugs. Last week I went on a trip to Coonoor from Hyderabad and I've posted about it in another thread. I also happened to do a trip to Coorg in December. I'll quote some of the lines from there.

Quote:
My wife and I made some last-minute plans last week and decided to take off from work for a week and make a trip out of it. Due to the uncertainty of the bathroom situation on the highways, she decided to fly to Coonoor while I decided to drive solo. It was about 1000 kms to get there, Hyd - Bangalore - Mysuru - Bandipur Forest - Ooty - Coonoor. Obviously, the highway part is the boring one and I did that all the way to Mysuru. There are stretching on the NH44 that are quite scenic, especially as you get to the Penukonda area (Kia Plant). You get nice backdrop of hills and rocks which are beautiful, but the highway still lacks the soul for driving, you'll be constantly cruising at 100 and I left the cruise control on for hours over the entire stretch between Hyderabad - Bangalore - Mysuru. Things get interesting once you cross Mysuru and towards Ooty where you'll have to go through the beautiful Bandipur forest. It's a well laid out road with views of peacocks, deers, elephants to name a few. As I was getting closer to exit the forest is where the trouble started, the first 850 kms of the trip took about 10 hours while the last 100 kms took a little more than 6 hours. It's the tourist season in Ooty regarding which I should have researched a bit before the trip, so I would have known what I was getting into. The beautiful drive with twists and turns between the pine trees was spoiled by the bumper-to-bumper traffic for hours and I was sitting alone in the car thinking what a bad call this was.

Once I reached Coonoor, made a few local drives early in the morning, out by 5/5:30 and back by 8:30/9 before the traffic picks up. These were some of the best roads I've driven in South India, well laid out, scenic and you will have the time of your life. Same goes with my drive down the hills to Coimbatore via Kotagiri, start early, beat the traffic and the next two hours of drive from Ooty towards Coimbatore until you're down, is a driver's paradise. Obviously, my way back from Coimbatore to Hyderabad which is another 1000 kms is pretty much NH44 all the way and you know the drill. Yes, there are areas on the highway near Salem and few other towns that are scenic but it's still a four-lane highway that is supposed to get you to your destination in the least amount of time.

After I got home over the weekend, I was telling my wife how we have to go back again but perhaps pick the offseason, so we don't have to deal or worry about the traffic nightmares. I do want to go back there this winter towards the end of the year. The area, those well maintained roads, the twists and turns are something any driving enthusiast in India should experience.

My experience to Coorg was a little different, in the area the main highway to Madikeri was great and gave us similar vibe but that didn't last for long. The local roads to resorts etc weren't as great with bad maintenance and lot of patches.
Munnar will probably be my next Nilgiris trip, perhaps towards the year end.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 19:59   #18
BHPian

Lovely post & photos covering all the details.
I have plans to go to Munnar from BLR next week. I have similar itinerary - break in Vivera Grande & stay in Club Mahindra.

It would be helpful if you can share some more details -
1. How much time it takes from Vivera Grande to Club Mahindra. You mentioned the roads are in good condition.
2. Between BLR & destination, any good places for food.
3. Any police checks in middle for speed or paper check? Or if we need to be careful in some route.
3. Any good eateries in the vicinity of Club Mahindra?
4. How is the track to Sita lake - distance & if its a steep climb or forest walk? Asking this to check if I can go there with kids.
5. As you have done quite some research regarding places & restaurants - any particular spots in Munnar which one should definitely cover.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 20:57   #19

@bhugs Nicely written travelogue and good to see that your family shares your passion for travel. Inspiring to take a trip myself !
KNR@BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 21:05   #20
DSC
BHPian

Planning the same trip in the coming month. Also live in Hyderabad. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by graaja : 6th May 2023 at 21:17. Reason: Minor edit - grammar
DSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 08:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Lovely post bhugs. Last week I went on a trip to Coonoor from Hyderabad and I've posted about it in another thread. I also happened to do a trip to Coorg in December. I'll quote some of the lines from there.

Munnar will probably be my next Nilgiris trip, perhaps towards the year end.
Great to see that we share the same mindset . I have also done Hyd-Coorg, Hyd-Ooty earlier using the same route via Mysuru (I take a halt there) and thoroughly enjoyed the same. Wish you the best for your Munnar plans and I suggest you check out homestays which are plenty and are located at lovely locations around Munnar.
Old 7th May 2023, 08:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Lovely post & photos covering all the details.
I have plans to go to Munnar from BLR next week. I have similar itinerary - break in Vivera Grande & stay in Club Mahindra.

It would be helpful if you can share some more details -
1. How much time it takes from Vivera Grande to Club Mahindra. You mentioned the roads are in good condition.
2. Between BLR & destination, any good places for food.
3. Any police checks in middle for speed or paper check? Or if we need to be careful in some route.
3. Any good eateries in the vicinity of Club Mahindra?
4. How is the track to Sita lake - distance & if its a steep climb or forest walk? Asking this to check if I can go there with kids.
5. As you have done quite some research regarding places & restaurants - any particular spots in Munnar which one should definitely cover.
I will give reply to your queries chronically :
1. It takes around 3-4 hours which include the fuel/toilet breaks, pics stop and yes the journey through some scenic locales will keep you happy.

2. Yes there are plenty of options available on this stretch, with A2B having their branches all the way up to Karur and many other prominent restaurants like Thalappakatti and Nanadna Palace(I had lunch there). So depending upon the time of your start from BLR you can decide on the restaurant to stop at.

3. I didn't noticed any speed traps but even otherwise the traffic up to Salem doesn't allow you to speed up Only time I was stopped by the cops was at the Chattam Ummar Check post near Munnar and they only enquired about my origin and destination, didn't even checked the documents.

4. Club Mahindra is around 2.5 kms inside from main road and has limited food options nearby. However if you like veg, you can have a meal at the small vegetarian Rajasthani restaurant Shri Mahaveer Bhojnayala, on the left right after crossing Sterling Resorts. Their food was good. Also from morning 7 am, you have a food truck parked near the entrance of CM, which serves great idlis/vadas and hot dosas in case you want to try.

5. If you are staying at CM, you must visit Sita Lake. They organize the hiking trip as well which we used and then went on our own and you can also do that. However there are two CM properties on the same route so if you are staying at the lower property (CM Lake View) you need to ride 2 kms up and reach CM, Mount Serene where you can park the vehicle and take the hike. It's not very steep or difficult except for a small stretch where you reach the waterfall and have to climb up the small section of stones to reach the lake. I'm sure kids will enjoy it as you have wild lemon grass fields and to pick a blade and smell the fresh oil rejuvenates you.
6. My family loves to eat and try all types of cuisines so we did tried out several places in and around Munnar. I would definitely recommend Tea Tales Cafe and Gurubhavan(stick to their specialty and don't try any North Indian dishes). I still had 2 restaurants on my wish list but could not visit, Noor Giri and Hornbill which have a great views too, maybe you can try them out and post your experience for all of us On the places to see, Please do visit the top point, not only for the destination but the ride again passes through some beautiful locales and you can see wild life like elephants enroute. On your return journey do stop at Ripple Tea Grahamlands outlet and you can shop for essentil oils, masaas and partake some great tea combos and light snacks.
A leisurely trip from Hyderabad to Munnar & back-img_5032.jpg

Also close to CM is a beautiful lake with all types of boats available. Don't miss the speedboat and kayaking experience there, kids will love it. Place name is Elephant Abode Boating Centre, Anayirankal and is run by Karnataka Hydel Tourism Centre. Eravikulam Park would now be open and I have been there earlier, seeing Nilgiri Thar is another great experience as this is the only place you can see them so not to be missed.
A leisurely trip from Hyderabad to Munnar & back-img_5466.jpg
Hope I am able to help, feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

Last edited by bhugs : 7th May 2023 at 08:57.
bhugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 08:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Planning the same trip in the coming month. Also live in Hyderabad. Thanks for the post.
All the best and feel free to ask for help if needed
Old 8th May 2023, 17:14   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the lovely post bhugs. Reminded me of my road trip to Munnar from Bengaluru in the month of March'23.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post5523905 (Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2)

Approaching Munnar from Dindigul - Theni takes one through silky, well marked carpeted roads with breathtaking views. Hyd - Dindigul must have been quite an experience, and you do have a capable machine to attempt it.
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Loved reading your thread bhugs. Reading a foodie log in Tbhp after some time. Enjoyed reading every bit of it
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Loved reading your thread bhugs. Reading a foodie log in Tbhp after some time. Enjoyed reading every bit of it
Thanks , food and travel go hand by hand. Sometimes I travel for good food sometimes the travel gets me good food Some of the best moments of my life are eating some really great dishes, at some obscure places not featured anywhere. Will try to start a thread on this, for the bhpians to share their best meal during a trip.
Old 9th May 2023, 10:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
Thanks for the lovely post bhugs. Reminded me of my road trip to Munnar from Bengaluru in the month of March'23.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post5523905 (Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2)

Approaching Munnar from Dindigul - Theni takes one through silky, well marked carpeted roads with breathtaking views. Hyd - Dindigul must have been quite an experience, and you do have a capable machine to attempt it.
OH thanks for posting the link, I actually searched for Hyd-Munnar before my trip but should have checked Blr-Munnar as well. Anyways will check it out now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks