Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:19   #16

Re: AMS in the land of the rising sun | Tawang in a Maruti 800 (SS80)

Awesome writeup! Thw way you have maintained Hirohito is a testament that if we take care of our babies, they can certainly outlast a generation!
Thanks again for sharing.!
kaulsays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Great travelogue, Hirohito! Starting my day with your adventurous ride in a Maruti 800 was fantastic. The picture you took in 2013 with the boy opening the gate was adorable. I would love to watch the video if you're willing to share it.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Glad to have made your day raptor_diwan. Thank you for going through the thread. As for the video, I’m not sure if I still have it. I had taken a screenshot back then and had posted on Facebook. Used that screenshot in this thread. I’ll definitely look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Fantastic to see a Maruti 800 of that vintage still going strong. I spotted another (later-model) Maruti 800 in one of your photos ("Filling up at Bhairabkunda"). I'm always surprised at how many M800s and Altos I see in hill towns. The 800s have all but disappeared from Chennai.

Just curious about that odo reading 52,388km. How many times has it rolled over?
It rolled over once couple of months back, so I am assuming it must have rolled over at least twice in its lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
This is one car that could definitely use a restomod. Just the internals/mechanicals need to be modded or better parts kept as replacement. Dependable higher output LED lights inside the old lamp unit, more powerful and efficient engine, power steering, newer suspension, alloy wheels with old design. Could be sourced from maruti itself. In India this culture is not that prevalent. Plus the cost factor. And the examples that are seen are far from neat, tasteful or professionally done.

Why don't manufacturers place the horn button on sides like the m800? It's more Ergonomic in my opinion.
I’ve made a few changes over the years, including more powerful lights and stronger brakes and installing a more powerful wiper motor to name a few, retrofitted a new model aluminium radiator for cooling. I hope to keep improving and keep driving. Only hope that the govt is more lenient towards old but fit cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
Loved the travelogue, every detail about it. And yes, the Brake Booster conversion was a must for undertaking such a trip. Our Maruti 800 (Type 2) has done 1.62L KMS without the booster. I might consider adding it but I keep hearing that the vaccum feedback and bite is not as good as the 5-Speed which came with a factory booster. Where did you tap the vaccum from? Near inlet valve?
Thank you Bismaya. Yes, tapped the vacuum from the inlet valve. You should definitely consider this upgrade, especially since in Type 2, the master cylinder is already inside the engine bay, unlike in the ss80. Not only did it improve braking substantially but it also significantly improved braking while reversing. Haven’t driven the 5 speed, but this upgrade is definitely worth the small cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiljoseph View Post
So happy to see a classic being used. Kudos to the owner for giving it love and more importantly the travel it needs. I truly think cars like humans get bored of sitting at home or doing the same routes. So, it's important to show them around and keep them happy. Wishing you many more happy miles ahead!!
Thank you Cefiljoseph. I couldn’t agree more about cars getting bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliu View Post
Fantastic write up & full props to you for putting this classic through its paces! I'm bookmarking this thread for reference, since the route looks absolutely stunning.
My pleasure!
Hirohito is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:51   #18

What a fascinating travelogue....loved reading every bit of it. I must say that you have really ensured that the iconic Maruti 800 has lived up to its reputation of its earlier years.

Kudos to you. Keep driving.
Fdtheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 15:53   #19
BHPian

What a fantastic journey and super write-up! I read it from start to finish. I'm a classic car guy and the fact that you did it in your SS80 (a classic, as far as I'm concerned) is wonderful.

This is exactly the kind of trip that I'd like to do some time. I have a 1963 Fiat 1100 which I love driving and have been itching to do a trip like this.

Thanks so much!
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 06:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulsays View Post
Awesome writeup! Thw way you have maintained Hirohito is a testament that if we take care of our babies, they can certainly outlast a generation!
Thanks again for sharing.!
Thanks! When I’d first purchased this car in 2019, I didn’t imagine touring in it. But the Japanese build quality of the 80s and the previous owner’s love for this car made that generation leap possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
What a fantastic journey and super write-up! I read it from start to finish. I'm a classic car guy and the fact that you did it in your SS80 (a classic, as far as I'm concerned) is wonderful.

This is exactly the kind of trip that I'd like to do some time. I have a 1963 Fiat 1100 which I love driving and have been itching to do a trip like this.

Thanks so much!
So great to know about your 1100! I checked your threads on its restoration and the trip to Orissa. Made my day. I am planning on the body restoration of the SS80 in the next few days. I’ve bookmarked your thread for inspiration and as reference.
Hirohito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 11:22   #21

Wow ! Wonderful travelogue. And the at the same time, beautifully written. Kudos to you and to your partner in crime, Hirohito. Only a passionate person who loves his car so much can embark on something like this. I'm sure you were able to create a lot more memories that you can cherish in the years to come. Wishing you many more miles !

The whole trip is kind of a testament that there is so much to explore in our own India.

Need your help/guidance on a few things. A couple of friends & myself are planning for a bike trip in Arunachal this October. Dirang & Sangti valley are part of the plan. We intend to take Guwahati-Bhairabkund-Shergaon-Morshing-Mandala Top-Dirang-Sangti valley route. Based on your experience, should this be done in 2 days or can we cover it in a day? (Google map says, it takes 9 hours, but Google map is the last thing to be believed on hilly routes right? ) If we need to break it into 2 days, where/which place would you suggest to stay en-route?
adv_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 06:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_tourer View Post
Wow ! Wonderful travelogue. And the at the same Dirang & Sangti valley are part of the plan. We intend to take Guwahati-Bhairabkund-Shergaon-Morshing-Mandala Top-Dirang-Sangti valley route. Based on your experience, should this be done in 2 days or can we cover it in a day? (Google map says, it takes 9 hours, but Google map is the last thing to be believed on hilly routes right? ) If we need to break it into 2 days, where/which place would you suggest to stay en-route?
Thanks adv, my suggestion would be that you take a night halt at either Shergaon or Morshing. The next day you can touch upon Mandala top, and Naga GG before heading off to Dirang. You can also check places like the La Gyala monastery and Mane Rimbu around Morshing if you want to explore. The nearest fuel pumps are in Shergaon and Dirang. Hope this helps. Enjoy your ride!
Hirohito is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks