Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:35   #1
BHPian

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2

Sharing a small travelogue on our drive : BLR – Munnar – BLR (4 days / 1250 Kms.)

During our Kodaikanal Trip in Jan, we were within touching distance of Munnar. Kodaikanal trip details are available here (Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review).

Munnar, like Kodaikanal, was long awaiting its turn on my drive bucket list – now quite possible due to a good long distance mile muncher, which it does in great comfort. While Kodai trip was spent shaking hands with driving dynamics of Alcazar, I was eager to do one more trip to assess my understanding of it and to put it to use.

Planning: Fuel Tank filled up and Nitrogen check for all five tyres. Some readout of TBHP route query thread on Munnar.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...e-queries.html (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries)

Route taken both ways: Bengaluru to Munnar via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu

Day 1: We planned to copy our journey from Kodaikanal trip right till Dindigul. Started early at 3:15 AM and reached Salem in less than 3 hours. Stopped for a relief break and continued onwards. Roads are mostly great, but speed is hampered by twisty speed breaker barriers throughout in TN at road crossings (especially when dark). Up until Dindigul, the traffic is less while the roads remain good. We stopped at A2B Dindigul Bypass and Toilet Facilities were clean. Brunch was typical A2B. Although there were few suggested options further ahead at Batlagundu (and beyond) for food, I found this stop appropriate time wise, as this is quite before commencing ascent giving time for food to settle for weak stomachs.

https://goo.gl/maps/FbzLPf2NmMfCLdWm6

Ok, so to arrive at A2B Dindigul bypass - this means I kept going approx. 1 KM further on the highway/bypass to reach and pause at A2B, and later after the break, came back to take left for Batlagundu. So, no need to take bypass shoulder road for Batlagundu right-turn if one plans to take this stop. See image below.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-a2b-further-route.jpg

Post Dindigul, one has undivided double lane smooth roads and average traffic conditions. I also needed liquid food for my Alcazar so stopped at INDIAN OIL PETROL PUMP - ANN JOH PETROLEUM at Batlagundu (45 mins from A2B stop above). This pump had really clean restrooms as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/cZaUyvpfg2qmtQpm6

The roads were good to great throughout and ghat section after Theni was no different. We were stopped for a split minute at Bodimettu KL check post and immediately let go after one glance inside our car. Post Bodimettu the road turned from good to great and was well-marked. Onboard FE was showing 18.4 Kmpl at the time.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0498.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0501.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0503.jpg

Further, we had a coconut water break, with a nice view down of the Anayirankal Dam. Somewhere near this point -

https://goo.gl/maps/J5c1Es8XWrnYTcze7

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0508.jpg

Be prepared to be in the awe of nice twisty roads and heavenly mountains with carpet like tea fields all over after Lockhart gap. I stopped multiple times before reaching Munnar to soak in the beauty of the nature all around.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0514.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0521.jpg

We arrived at our resort “Fragrant Nature” which is near Pothamedu Viewpoint and some 10 mins from heart of Munnar. Reached resort by 2.30, had lunch and chilled out at Balcony. The valley was filled with clouds and when saturated, these clouds started climbing back upwards to us with the wind.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0638.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0608.jpg

Stay: At Fragrant Nature Munnar was above average. Room was spacious and overlooking the valley with splendid views.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0523.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0524.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0529.jpg

Parking at Fragrant Nature seemed sufficient for 10-12 cars. Food quality and taste was ok. The dining area was also overlooking the valley and had stunning view. Resort organizes daily High Tea (with biscuits), Chef demo of a local cuisines and a bonfire at night. All this add to the experience.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0532.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0541.jpg

Day 2, we completed the main circuit – which is Munnar town to Top Viewpoint with many touristy stops in between. Leisurely done, this is easily one full day. These are covered in detail through various Youtubers and blogs – so we picked a few spots per our preference. We visited Munnar Rose garden, skipped Tea Factory visit as we had been to it before. Munnar Rose Garden was laden with flowers due to spring season. Had coconut water at a shop outside. Have to hand it out for shopkeeper’s expertise in selecting coconut per demand. Since I asked for one with less water and more coconut ‘malai’, he hunted one such exact coconut, to my surprise. Wifey asked for one with more water with condition that it must be really sweet, and he obliged with the sweetest water we ever had in a coconut. When asked he confirmed he can identify this quite easily. All this while, my daughter was busy playing with a small cat lazily getting petted. Returning to my car parked a little ahead, I could see at least couple of Team-BHP stickered yellow Boleros and Swifts with yellow plates. Such is the wide fan-following of Team BHP brand out there.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0550.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0559.jpg

We proceeded to Mattupetty Lake Boat Yard and booked a speed boat. It was fun!! Views were quite breath-taking from boat and our operator did some twisty moves for adrenalin rush. We politely asked to stick to the sight-seeing. The feel of cool breeze with great all-around landscape was amazing. We all loved it. So much so that we came rushing for it next day again!!

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0562.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0564.jpg

Enroute to Top Point, we further visited Kundala Lake which was quite serene and tranquil.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0591.jpg

Top Station: The viewpoint at Top Station is actually in TN. And I was inclined to check how far am I from my Jan’s Kodaikanal visit. Per Google maps, I was under 20 KM areal distance from Sheep and Rabbit research center at Mannavanur!!

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0594.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-measure.jpg

Day 3, wifey had a couple of meetings to attend and we had to be back by lunch. We were aware that Eravikulam National Park was closed for visit till April. I had it in radar to still drive out to that route, as it could serve as alternative return route to Bengaluru via Sandalwood forest -> Marayoor -> Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary -> Pollachi -> Avinashi -> Salem. But Rain Gods had other plans. It started raining heavily 5 Kms on that route and from 15 -20 Kms in heavy rainfall and not so great roads, I got the feeling that this alternative should be abandoned for this trip. More-so-ever, as I was yearning to see those steep mountain bolder walls near Lockhart Gap, reminiscing similar landscape from our Swiss trip once again. So, we finalized plan of return from Theni, Dindigul route. By the time we turned around and reached Munnar Town – it had stopped raining and we still had time to attempt a quick runabout to Mattupetty Lake for speedboat ride. Alas! this was not to be as we reached there, but they were not taking new bookings and closing post 2.00 PM due to expected heavy rains. Still I will not call it a waste, as we drove back to our resort engulfed in clouds, which besides open windows, also were entering from additional opening we had in Alcazar (the panoramic sunroof). This made the experience all the more memorable. ��

Chilled out rest of the day to impressive views from our balcony and retired early for proper rest before long drive home next day.

Day 4 Return journey: We had breakfast on Restaurant balcony (overlooking the valley) and started around 8.40 AM. I got amazing mileage till end of Ghat section.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0653.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0658.jpg

After lunch break at A2B Athanur, we reached Bengaluru 6.40 PM, with breaks of approximately 1 Hour. We had to take a detour at Theni, as road was blocked due to some protest. This added 15 mins to our journey time. Got overall FE of 18.6 Kmpl per MID vs 16.4 as per Tank full auto-cut method.

Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0673.jpg
Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2-img_0676.jpg

Alcazar performed well throughout. I am gradually getting acclimatize to its handling and driving dynamics. Few observations below
  • Ascending characteristics: Never does it feel lacking in power. The sharp hairpin bends stooping into steep inclines, continuous climbs without pausing – Alcazar does it without breaking a sweat. One just has to maintain proper gear.
  • Descending characteristics: Engine braking is somewhat lacking. To me ideal engine breaking for slight above average descends sits somewhere between 2nd and 3rd Gear and therefore brake usage at third gear is more than my liking. I do not like the idea of continuously using 2nd gear for descend when the incline was not too steep to warrant it.
  • Straight Run: I continually observe a nag. While hight RPM speeds are smooth, there is slight jitteriness when kept at steady pace in the 1500 – 1800 RPM range. The drive is not smooth as one would expect it to be. Also, during gear changes, letting accelerator go and pressing it again after the change, the transition is not smooth. At least I have not yet been able to find the sweet accelerator spot during clutch bite points during gear changes. Feels like the RPM is either too low or proper fuel mix is not being attained - leading to lack of smoothness on both counts. I should get a few more Kms in before worrying about it too much. Any observations from fellow BHPians are quite welcome !!

Last edited by Haldian : 3rd April 2023 at 21:42.
Haldian is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru - Munnar road trip in an Alcazar! Travel Diary #2

Nice pictures. And amazed to see such good fuel economy !! 26Kmpl from a 3 row SUV
Kochikaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochikaran View Post
Nice pictures. And amazed to see such good fuel economy !! 26Kmpl from a 3 row SUV
Thanks Kochikaran. Overall FE per MID was 18.6 but yes, while climbing down I got 26 Kmpl for the ghat section. But, when I was climbing down from Kodaikanal in Jan, I got 48 Kmpl till Batlagundu!! I had shared this on my ownership thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5494257 (Hyundai Alcazar : Ownership Review)
Haldian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the breathtaking photos! I am wavering between the Alcazar & the Carens. I plan to go for a petrol engine only. Any suggestions on the Kia Carens after sales would be welcome since I already own a 9 year old Verna & am pretty satisfied with the after sales support by Hyundai.
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:41   #5
BHPian

First of all, thanks for the lovely travelogue OP, it's pushing me on to a road trip to Munnar. Especially that one picture with the twisty road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
Thanks for the breathtaking photos! I am wavering between the Alcazar & the Carens. I plan to go for a petrol engine only. Any suggestions on the Kia Carens after sales would be welcome since I already own a 9 year old Verna & am pretty satisfied with the after sales support by Hyundai.
I can't comment on the Carens specifically but Kia has been as good as Hyundai. They are happy to take up and address your issues. Make sure you buy the extended warranty if you're picking up a DCT based vehicle with either of the manufacturers.
sweetvar26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:14   #6
BHPian

This is a very good and crisp travelogue. Munnar is one of the most famous travel destinations. In my opinion, the best time to visit is soon after the monsoon rain, as there will be many waterfalls and you won't need to worry about landslides.

Never visit on weekends or extended weekends. Once, I visited during a May Day holiday which was an extended weekend, and getting a room was very difficult. We spent more time on the road than seeing the places or in the room(obviously road blocks).

Here is a small video taken just after Anayirangal lake, towards the Munnar side.
Bonemechanic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
First of all, thanks for the lovely travelogue OP, it's pushing me on to a road trip to Munnar. Especially that one picture with the twisty road.
It is quite tempting isn't it. I would say go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
This is a very good and crisp travelogue. In my opinion, the best time to visit is soon after the monsoon rain, as there will be many waterfalls and you won't need to worry about landslides.

Never visit on weekends or extended weekends. Once, I visited during a May Day holiday which was an extended weekend, and getting a room was very difficult. We spent more time on the road than seeing the places or in the room(obviously road blocks).
Thanks, Interesting suggestion to travel right after monsoons as that's when the mountains look best. Especially with small waterfalls emerging here and there and cloud movements.

Totally agree with 'avoid on weekends' bit. Our trip was Wednesday to Saturday and so we were able to enjoy the trip without much roadblocks or traffic. Our resort was fully booked though. But, it was well managed so no issues.
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:34   #8
BHPian

The roads from Tamilnadu to Munnar are like silky carpets and wide enough to accommodate huge weekend crowds. However, the town and tourist places are still the same and it takes a lot of time to travel from one spot to another, in the meanwhile, however, the nature could be enjoyed during such trips.
Old 9th May 2023, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Lovely travelogue Haldian and I wish I had seen it before I visited Munnar later that month, following the same route after Bengaluru. Beautiful pics and your location pins will definitely help fellow drivers to plan their itinerary.
bhugs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed