Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 11:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh

On December 01, 2022, the Government of India notified Hanle as India’s first dark sky reserve.

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-ladakh3_202209031635314426_hight_403_width_660.jpg
Source: https://science.newsbharati.com/Ency...in-Ladakh.html

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-gazette-1.jpg
Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-gazette-2.jpg
Source: DIPR Leh, Twitter.

Dark Sky Reserve

A Dark Sky Reserve refers to an area designated as free from light pollution. It’s a public or private land possessing an exceptional or distinguished quality of starry nights and nocturnal environment that is specifically protected for its scientific, natural, educational, cultural, heritage and/or public enjoyment [IDA-International Dark-Sky Association].

These Areas are typically found in remote locations, away from city lights. The International Dark Sky Association (IDA) works to designate these special places around the world. There are many benefits to having a dark sky reserve. One of the most important is that it protects nocturnal animals who rely on darkness to hunt and forage. Artificial light can also disrupt the natural migration patterns of some animals. In addition, dark skies are necessary for stargazing and astronomical research. The IDA has designated several dark sky reserves in the United States, including Great Basin National Park in Nevada and Big Bend National Park in Texas. To be designated as a reserve, an area must have very little artificial light pollution and must offer public educational programming about the importance of protecting dark skies.

Globally, there are only 20 such certified reserves and 16 sanctuaries, with most of them being located in europe.

Hanle Dark Sky reserve

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-infopaediaindiasfirstdarkskyreserve.jpg
Source: https://www.dhyeyaias.com/current-af...rk-sky-reserve

A portion of Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanle, Ladakh, is earmarked to become the first Dark Sky Reserve in India. The facility will also encourage astronomy tourism, providing a scientific boost to local tourism. Ladakh has considerable potential for conducting undisturbed astronomical observations, which is why it was chosen as the venue for the programme. Hanle is already home to optical, gamma ray, and infrared telescopes for space research at an altitude of 4,500 metres. It is spotlessly clean during the most of the year’s dry months, stays cloudless at night, and provides dark skies, making it an ideal natural setting for stargazing.

The sanctuary spreads across 1,073 square kilometres of area surrounding the high-altitude Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) facility called Indian Astronomical Observatory (IAO). The cluster of six hamlets form the sanctuary. These six hamlets are Bhok, Shado, Punguk, Khuldo, Naga & Tibetan Refugee habitations.

Dorje Angchuk, engineer incharge at the Hanle IAO, said, “We have already applied to the global certification bodies. It may take 2-3 years. Nevertheless, Hanle has been a site for astronomical research since the setting up of the observatory in 2000."

Why Hanle ?

Quote:
Much before it became a Dark Sky Reserve, Hanle was picked by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics to set up an observatory. “There were various reasons why Hanle was chosen for an astronomical institute. The best reason is that it is very dry and very cold,” says Dorje Angchuk, engineer in-charge of the Indian Astronomical Observatory at Hanle. “If there is any moisture, most of the light gets absorbed by the atmosphere, and very little light from the stars reaches us. Due to the dry atmosphere [at Hanle], the lights coming from far away sources are not attenuated,” says the scientist who has been in Hanle for 25 years.

Hanle also falls in the rain-shadow region in this part of the Himalayas, resulting in more number of clear nights in the year. The telescope in Hanle is situated at Mt. Saraswati or Digpa Ratsa Ri, which is the Scorpion Mountain, and at 4,500m is one of the highest observatories in the world.

Angchuk and his team have spent a lot of time and effort in orienting the locals to the wonders of astronomy. “Initially, there was a lot of apprehension because, obviously, 25 years back we came as outsiders. So, people were very scared of us—that we were coming and settling here. But we have taken the villagers into confidence that the dark skies are beneficial not only for astronomy, science and education but also for the villagers, where they can get more employment and more tourists can visit such a lovely place, where you can see the starry skies and the Milky Way, which is beyond anybody’s expectation."
Source: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/han...-distance-leh/

Light pollution

Name:  light_re.png
Views: 1122
Size:  289.2 KB

Quote:
- Light pollution is excessive, misdirected or obtrusive artificial (usually outdoor) light that obstructs starlight in the night sky, interferes with astronomical research, disrupts ecosystems, has adverse health effects and wastes energy.
- Visible light emitted by many sources (except lasers) is divergent, so the light emitted could find its way into the sky.
- Almost all surfaces in cities also reflect light, meaning a portion of entirely down-cast light will be reflected upwards, contributing to nighttime light pollution.
- A recent study found that non-natural light had increased the brightness of the artificial glow of the night sky, or skyglow, by 9.2-10% every year between 2011 and 2022. Specifically, it had brightened annually by about 6.5% over Europe, 10.4% over North America, and 7.7% over the rest of the world.

What is the situation in India?
A recent study reported that 19.5% of India’s population – the lowest among G20 countries – experiences a level of skyglow that keeps the Milky Way out of sight and makes it impossible for human eyes to adjust to the dark.
The effects include stimulating the cone cells (which activate in a well-lit environment/during the day) in human eyes.
Source: https://www.insightsonindia.com/2023...-polluting-it/

Amid the growing challenge of climate change and cloudy weather at observatories that look into the sky, a new study indicates another big hurdle in their path. Researchers have found that light is polluting the sky above most observatories, affecting the correct observations. Researchers from Italy, Chile, and Galicia have analysed and compared the light pollution levels at major astronomical observatories and revealed the need for immediate action to decrease the amount of pollution coming from artificial light. Light pollution levels above 50 observatories across the globe have increased.

Changthang Wildlife sanctuary

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4303.jpg

The Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary encompasses 4,000 square kilometres and is significant as one of the few locations in India where the Kiang or Tibetan Wild Ass and the rarest Black-necked Crane thrive. Apart from the snow leopard, the other rare animals found here are Tibetan wolf, wild yak, bharal, brown bear and the mormot, which seems to be present everywhere. Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary also boats a wide variety of avifauna. Around 44 types of water birds and seasonal species of migratory birds are also found here.

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-crane.png
Source: https://upsccolorfullnotes.com/dark-sky-reserve/

ruzbehxyz is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh

Some of my photos of Hanle from my Ladakh visit in 2015.

Hanle is one of the most beautiful places in the Himalayas and "God's own painting".

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4442.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4453.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4443.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4454.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4467.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4477.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4482.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4497.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4587.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4555.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4557.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4592.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4490.jpg

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-img_4485.jpg
ruzbehxyz is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
On December 01, 2022, the Government of India notified Hanle as India’s first dark sky reserve.

Light pollution

Excellent news!
For those who might be still sceptical about the level of interference our lights can cause, check out this pic. It shows a real time view of India, at midnight, 14th Feb.
Notice those light clusters? Those are our street lights and perhaps even headlights. That's the origin of the light pollution.

Hanle: India's first Dark Sky Reserve located in Changthang plateau, Ladakh-india-night-sky.png

Pic source: https://zoom.earth/

Quote:
Some of my photos of Hanle from my Ladakh visit in 2015.
Captain, in case you are planning to revisit, please do give me a heads up. Bappa willing, I would absolutely love to join.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Captain, in case you are planning to revisit, please do give me a heads up. Bappa willing, I would absolutely love to join.
Will do so. I am not a hardcore traveller, but among the many Himalayan places that I have visited, Hanle is my personal best. In 2015, there were very few Homestays including the monastery guesthouse. We stayed at the guesthouse which was fully empty. Off late loads of tourists have visited the place and I have heard some horror stories. With the road to Umling La completed, everyone wants to visit it and then obviously they have to make Hanle their base. Nothing wrong in number of people visiting. It’s just that we need to take care of the fragile ecosystem.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 10:28   #5
BHPian

I bought an 8" GSO Pro Dobsonian last week and how I wish to carry it to Hanle. But it is way too heavy. I'm gonna stick with my Bortle 3 sky in my hometown till I can afford to buy a big car
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Union Home Ministry has issued a circular on September 14, 2023 allowing foreign tourists to stay overnight in Hanle. This will be a welcome move for foreigners who wish to explore the Dark Sky reserve.

Further reading: https://india.postsen.com/local/1125930.html
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 08:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hanle Dark Sky Reserve celebrates its first star party in Oct.2023.

The first official star party for experienced amateur astronomers was organised by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) in collaboration with Department of Wildlife Protection, UT Ladakh at Hanle Dark Sky Reserve, from October 12-15, 2023.

Local villagers, Tourists, participants from Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Mandi, Ahmedabad, Lakshadweep, and Mumbai participated in the star party. The event saw around 30 amateur astronomers travelling to Hanle with their telescopes and cameras to capture the night sky, free from light pollution.
Sudhash Natarajan from Bangalore Astronomical Society who has been coming to Hanle every year and said as a keen visual observer, he is able to see obscure faint galaxies at HDSR with its Bortle-1 (darkest) sky.
Additionally, Dorjey Angchuk added that Hanle is a haven for amateur astronomers. He said that they are planning to make the HDSR Star Party an annual event. He hopes that it will be one of the most sought after events for astronomy enthusiasts in India and abroad. He further added that HDSR is promoted as a site for astro-tourism.

Further reading: https://ladakh.gov.in/hanle-dark-sky...st-star-party/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks