Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R

I went to Ooty (2N / 3D) solo trip on my CB300R. This was a sudden trip without any plans. Despite the luggage carrying limitations of the bike due to the absence of a proper rear grab handle, I was still able to carry some luggage along with a backpack. I thought due to the cold weather nobody will be there in Ooty but I was wrong. It was full of tourists everywhere in Ooty's popular destinations. I skipped all those and just enjoyed the ride, taken photographs on the road side.

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-1.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-2.jpg

Quick info:

Vehicle: Honda CB300R

Total trip distance: 883KM

Fuel economy during the trip: Sorry I have not noted it

Passenger: No

Camera: Nikon D7000 with 18-55mm lens. Some photos on iPhone 8 and Samsung M30s

Bags: GUARDIAN GEARS Saddle Bags Mustang 50L Black with inner and outer Rain Cover and TRAWOC 50 Ltr Travel Backpack with outer rain cover.
Saddle stays: I can install the Guardian Gear saddle bag without needing Saddle stay

Riding Gear: RE Explorer V3 jacket, Scott Softcon Hybrid Knee Guard, RE shoes, RE gloves, MT helmet, Earplugs, Balaclava

Warm clothes: Decathlon Waterproof Winter Hiking Jacket - SH100, woolen cap, woolen socks

How the bike handled the mountains, highways? The CB300R was a blast to ride in the mountains. It is lightweight, nimble and incredible amount of power for its size. It keeps me engaged. It handled brilliantly in the ghats. Its equally fun on the highways. There is a buzz in the seat once you go beyond 110 but it is manageable.

Comfort of the bike / seat: It was a very pleasant ride and even when pushed hard to the max, there was no wobble which the RE guys face frequently. I have taken frequently breaks so not much butt pain.

Fuel availability during the trip: As far as I can see, Bandipur does not have any petrol bunks at least on the road I ventured. So make sure to fill the tank. You don't want to stop in the middle of the forest with no fuel.

Road conditions: Certain sections of the road via Mysore are still under construction. Roads in TN including Ooty are fantastic.

Food stops: Hotels are limited through the Mysore route. The ones available were jam packed with people. Also the Mysore road was constructed with barricade on the sides meant stopping can be a challenge. I also find petrol bunks are limited in this route.

Any issues faced?
  • Book before you head to Ooty. It does not matter which day or month you are visiting.
  • A section of my saddle bag got melted due to the hot exhaust gas. However, weirdly, I faced this only while returning to Bangalore. I suspect 1st gear ride for 1km at a section in Salem might have caused this but not sure.
  • The ABS light came during the return journey.
  • Carry plenty of water. You cannot buy 0.5 or 1L or even 2L water bottles in Ooty. They were banned.
  • Carry some snacks or food. Route via Kotagiri does not have much Hotels.
  • Google map sometimes show some weird or wrong route.
Weather: Fantastic weather in the day time. Clear blue sky, warm sun and cool air.

Wednesday: Bangalore to Ooty. Spent most of the time in the day traveling and finding a hotel.
Thursday: Roam around Ooty
Friday: Ooty to Erode via Kotagiri. Stay at Erode (my home town).
Saturday: Erode to Bangalore

I was able to carry dress, toiletries, camera, winter clothing, sandals, Bike puncture repair and other kits etc. The weather was very pleasant. Clear blue sky with warm sun and cool air. I enjoyed the weather a lot. I went from Bangalore via Mysore, Bandipur and the scenery was awesome. However, there are strict notices everywhere in Bandipur to not stop and take photographs. So I was unable to take any. I spotted few spotted deers in the national park.

Temperature were around 8 degree Celsius in the night and one can feel that if decided to walk outside. I have taken Decathlon Waterproof Winter Hiking Jacket - SH100 which was more than sufficient for the Ooty weather. That said separate head cap was needed.

I went to Ooty without booking any room and it was a big mistake, I thought nobody would be there in the cold weather but there were a lot of them. Getting a decent hotel was quite a challenge. I spent the first day on travel and searching for room and settle down. That left me only 1.5 days to roam around Ooty. The rush around Boat house was quite unbelievable. I decided to skip Boat house, Botanical garden, Pykara and other popular places.

Pine forest:
The next day, I went to Pine forest, but I find the place underwhelming with loads of tourists and lots of trash around the lake. Despite the Govt. efforts in banning polythene bags, plastic water bottles, tourists still trash the are. After this I decide to not to go any of the popular destinations and just went on a ride, photographing the great scenery.

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-3.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-4.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-5.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-6.jpg

Near to Tree park:

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-7.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-8.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-9.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-10.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-11.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-12.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-13.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-14.jpg

Adorable baby calves
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-15.jpg

If you are planning to go to Ooty, make sure to take water bottle that is not disposable. Make sure to carry sufficient water since you cannot buy the normal disposable 1L or 2L water bottles. Only 5L water bottles are available. However, some shops sell 1L glass bottles and 5L plastic water cans. I find both them are not practical for those who are travelling on a two wheeler.

I skipped (except one) popular touristy places in Ooty and went to the following:
Pine forest - waste of money and time
Near Tree park I found one calm, serene places without any tourist
Manjakombai - Want to go the Manjakombai temple, but Google landed me at a different place.
Tea park - This is a good place for kids and parents to enjoy some time in peace compared to other destination
Charring cross - Morning walk. Around 7-8AM. There are few veg hotels available here. I went to A2B around 7.30AM and this was the only time the hotel has few seats. Post that it was always crowded. There is a Jain restaurant available as well.
Murlimund lake - It's a very small lake, but nearby to Charring cross.
Murugan Temple, Elkhill - Google maps misbehaved and I accidentally entered a Govt. The office complex and only to get shooed away by the people inside it.
Kotagiri - Enroute to Erode.

Lots of tourists in most places. Here the location is shooting point and I skipped it

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-16.jpg

Somewhere near Sheep breeding research centre. I think location is Sandynallah
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-17.jpg

The trees in these parts look amazing. My photo does not do justice how great they looked.
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-18.jpg

Last edited by amvj : 1st January 2023 at 10:36.
amvj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 10:23   #2
BHPian

re: Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R

There were no proper hotels in Kotagiri. I should have gone via Coonoor instead. I stopped at Silvertip Cafe after seeing Mr. Boss's Ooty travelogue, but the pastries they serve contains egg and being a vegetarian, I skipped those and opted for Hibiscus tea which was okayish.

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-20.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-21.jpg

TN roads are great even on remote places
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-22-2.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-22.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-23.jpg

Murlimund lake
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-24.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-25.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-26.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-27.jpg

Govt. run tea park. They sell tea and has a small park. A good place for family and kids to spend some time in peace

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-28.jpg

Trying some artistic shots lol
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-29.jpg

Breeks school which is opposite to Hotel Tamilnadu
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-30.jpg

Charring cross. One of the main area in Ooty town
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-31.jpg

Morning walk around Charring Cross
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-32.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-33.jpg

Hibiscus tea at Silvertip Cafe
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-34.jpg

A popular place where most Team-bhpians take photos here. The truck driver did not moved much despite my request.

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-35.jpg

Post that I went to Erode (my home town) and returned to Bangalore the next day. While returning from Erode to Salem (to reach Bangalore), there was a huge traffic pileup. I was in first gear most of the time and I believe that time the heat from the exhaust melted the luggage' bottom support rubber part.

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-36.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-37.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-38.jpg

Last edited by amvj : 1st January 2023 at 10:26.
amvj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 16:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 21:58   #4
BHPian

I was there just a couple of days back. Your photos rekindled the memories. The only possibility of spotting any wildlife on the Mysore -Ooty stretch is around the Bandipur road. I took at detour towards Masinagudi and was rewarded with many animal sightings, including a sloth bear. Masinagudi to Moyar stretch is a good bet.
lejhoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R

Excellent travelogue - a nice write-up with beautiful pictures. Brings back memories from a very long time ago for me. Besides, I am fed up with the polluted air of Mumbai, and the clear skies and greenery depicted in the images are pleasing to the eye.

The CB300R was quite a tempting machine. Just wished Honda had priced it better. It deserved to sell a lot more than it did.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:45   #6
BHPian

I would like to share few more photos and some in high resolution as well.

Silvertip Cafe
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-1.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-2.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-3.jpg

The shop sells freshly prepared different flavour of these teas
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-4.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-5.jpg

Tea Park

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-6.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-7.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-8.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-101.jpg

Fresh green tea is prepared for customers and costs a nominal Rs 10.
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-111.jpg

I spotted this lovely kitty at a Coffee day shop in Masinagudi
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-221.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-241.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-251.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-261.jpg

Close up of my bike
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-27.jpg

Pine trees have this distinct coppery, rusty barks.
Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-28.jpg

I bought Varkey and Kannavarai Tea at a small shop in Kotagiri. Varkey tastes average but the tea is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ooty_varkey

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-29.jpg

Ooty road-trip on a Honda CB300R-30.jpg
amvj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 20:23   #7
BHPian

This tea that you have showcased is excellent. I have been stuck to this brand of tea for some time now. Excellent pictures!
rajeevsulu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
There were no proper hotels in Kotagiri. I should have gone via Coonoor instead. I stopped at Silvertip Cafe after seeing Mr. Boss's Ooty travelogue, but the pastries they serve contains egg and being a vegetarian, I skipped those and opted for Hibiscus tea which was okayish.
Nice set of pictures.

O.T
That Verna parked near you in Silvertip is my good friend's.
Small world
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 13:00   #9
BHPian

This brings back old memories for me, doing many quickie-drives to Ooty in my Yamaha-RX100 in the eighties, when I was in college in Coimbatore.

We used to drive to Ooty, take a 'leak' and head back to Coimbatore!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks