Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 10:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris

It had been almost 7+ months/ 7500 km since we brought our A4 home, but we hadn't got out enough on a longish drive. Such a long and lean time period without a family road trip resulted in us getting really uncomfortable and we were itching to hit the road!

So we looked at few options to travel to around Pune, and after some deliberation, we stuck to the tried and tested circuit of Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar-Satara. Only that this time round, we planned to explore the area/ ghats a bit more to make it a proper Rendezvous with the Sahyadris!

It was a crisp, slightly chilly Saturday morning when we started. And believe me, it felt so good just knowing that a fantastic road trip lay ahead. As a family, we have done so many trips together over the last 10-12 years or so but the thrill of the first few kms on any trip is like pure adrenaline!

Since we had a good 3 days in front of us, we decided that we will try & visit all the hitherto unexplored places along the way.

I had already tanked up the previous day so didn't have to worry about fueling as such just during the start.

The route planned was Pune > Wai > Panchgani > Mahabaleshwar > Satara > Pune.

The Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore highway has a history of regular maintenance works underway, almost every month of the year. So, had half expected that the road ahead would be full of diversions, road blocks, traffic jams et al. But to my pleasant surprise, there was hardly anything of this sort. It was a pretty smooth ride except for an odd diversion or so.

Stopped for breakfast at a busy place just off the highway and the shutterbug in me wasted no time in capturing the beauty:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4668.jpg

First up, we planned to go straight to Dhom Lake, took us just above 2 hrs including some traffic on the way:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-pune-dhom-lake-gmaps.png

Some nice picturesque spots along the Wai-Dhom road:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4669.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4670.jpg

Upon reaching the lakeside, the first reaction was - by Jove, what a place! Felt surreal, ethereal.

Due to adequate rains in these parts, the water level had come up significantly:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4713.jpg

The place was decked up by a private agency as a campsite:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4704.jpg

Nice lakeside boating options available (we didn't avail):-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4705.jpg

Right said Fred...a small boat with the name YOLO, very apt for the moments that we were experiencing at that point by the beautiful lakeside:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4707.jpg

Having filled our hearts and minds with those awesome memories, we just didn't realize that our tummies had started growling and so off we went to the hotel.

Again, some nice views of the scenic ghat roads on the Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar section:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4715.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4716.jpg

In general, the condition of the roads was such that even though they were not made of super smooth asphalt but the overall experience of driving over them was totally calming, if you know what I mean. I wanted to continue driving for as long as the road could take me to!

Last edited by JoshMachine : 9th December 2022 at 14:42.
JoshMachine is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 15:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rendezvous with the Sahyadris

The route to the hotel was, as expected, littered with traffic, it being a Saturday. Took us almost an hour to reach there.

The peculiar/not so good thing about the route in this part is we had to go back to Wai and then proceed back towards the hotel:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-dhom-campsite-hotel.png

Upon reaching the hotel, we were greeted with lush greens everywhere. The property is set amidst multiple acres of pristine evergreen forests along the Western ghats, and the hotel offers a world of luxury unlike any other resort in Mahabaleshwar. They call it "Sustainable Luxury"!

We managed to get their prime, centrally located "Signature Villa"

Some pics of the surroundings, full of almost forest-like environs:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4725.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4726.jpg

The entire area was screaming with a myriad of colors - earthen and greens everywhere!

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4727.jpg

Being a top property, they tick all the boxes when it comes to providing creature comforts like a temperature-controlled swimming pool, a good spa and some interesting fun & adventure stuff for folks young at heart (mentioning this takes the age equation out of the picture ).

Spent the rest of the day just meandering around the property sipping lots of hot cuppa with a cool, mountain evening breeze for company.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 10th December 2022 at 11:37.
JoshMachine is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 12:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Next day's start was with an epiphanic visit to the famous Parsi Point.

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4728.jpg

Came across some nice freshly cut strawberries, watermelon, cucumber, guava and mulberries:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4729.jpg

As is known, the name 'Parsi Point' is inspired by the significance of the place to the early Parsi community.

The place is surrounded by majestic, lofty, green mountains on all sides. This point offers visitors a truly breathtaking panoramic view of the clear waters of Dhom lake and the charm of Krishna Valley alongside:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4730.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4731.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4732.jpg

Next up was the mandatory luncheon at the ever-so-famous Mapro Garden at Panchgani.

Was a bit apprehensive about getting a good parking, but fortunately managed to find a nice corner spot:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4736.jpg

With slightly overcast conditions, the mid-day typical harsh bright light was muted and the A4's Terra Grey metallic color looked brilliant:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4738.jpg

Lunch at the Mapro Garden never fails to satisfy a connoisseur of good, tasty food. It amazes me as to how these guys manage the level of scale they do, with some really lip-smacking pizza, sandwiches and the gorgeous strawberry with ice cream.

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4739.jpg

In the neighborhood, are multitude of strawberry picking farms for anyone to try their hands:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4740.jpg

Back at the hotel, for dinner, the gorgeous strawberry spread continued with a splash of really tempting dessert options:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4743.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4745.jpg

And as a welcome change, a rather special and unique strawberry juice served on-the-house:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4744.jpg

Thought of having a after-dinner stroll in the hotel property, couldn't help admire the classy-ness around:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4748.jpg

And not just that of immovable property, but a property that moves on 4 wheels, as well:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4749.jpg

The stay at the hotel concluded the next morning over a relaxed and lazy breakfast, soaking up the sun:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4755.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4753.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4751.jpg

Last edited by JoshMachine : 10th December 2022 at 12:32.
JoshMachine is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 12:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

The next leg of the journey was something we were really eager to traverse, right from the beginning.

The planned route:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-mhb-ckwadi.png

The destination was Chalkewadi, and the primary attraction was the wind mill farm located there.

Along the way, the entire ghat section was a driver's delight and it was pure joy to be in the midst of the Sahyadris on one side and some beautiful water bodies on the other:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4758.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4759.jpg

Even though it was the first time for me to take the A4 on such ghats, but I felt completely at home what with the comfort and the sheer engineering brilliance of what the Audi provided. The wonderful 5-link suspension both at the front and the rear, made the drive a breeze. Not once, did I have to worry about the matter of ground clearance.

On those scenic single-laned roads, sometimes we tagged sugarcane lorries:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4760.jpg

...but for most of the time, it was just pure uninterrupted driving with the mountains for company:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4761.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4762.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4763.jpg

Upon reaching Chalkewadi, the first scenes were somewhat overwhelming given the size of the wind mills buzzing everywhere.

Check this out, for example, a comparo which gives an idea of the sizes:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4766.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4767.jpg

We just stood there soaking in the enormity, and then it was time to start enjoying the magnanimity of what lay ahead.

Simply mesmerizing, beautiful views all around - as far as the eyes could see on the horizon!

Goes without saying, the A4's stance looked kind of grand with the backdrop:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4768.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4771.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4772.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4773.jpg

For the uninitiated, the Chalkewadi wind mill energy project near Satara was developed with the intention of generating clean renewable energy and hundreds of windmills were subsequently put up all along the plateau. Over the years, this location has been attempted to be developed as a tourist spot due to its lush green hills, valleys, red soil, and the windmills that spread all across making this landscape a beautiful sight.

The one thing that strikes you when you reach this place, is perhaps how aloof this place is from any nearby populace. And I think that's good.

The Chalkewadi wind mill area is devoid of your typical touristy add-ons - restaurants, dhabas, bhel puri stalls, those notorious small tapris/shops littering plastic packets & disposable tea cups, photographers with polaroids, malnourished horses/ponies laden with heavy carts waiting for hours etc. - and for me personally, absence of all this is exactly what I prefer in order to ensure the sanity and harmony of such a beautiful environment.

It feels all so serene, so quiet, so enchanting on that plateau with views like these all around:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4791.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4790.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4795.jpg

The shutterbug in me was still not satisfied with what lay around, and hence couldn't resist capturing the A4 splendor with some more shots:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4774.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4776.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4777.jpg

Getting a bit creative and artsy here to round off the proceedings:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4792.jpg

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4794.jpg

And with that, it was time to head back home to Pune. The route was the familiar NH-48 road from Satara to Pune, and we covered the distance in about 3 hours with a late lunch stopover at Vitthal Kamat on the highway.

Referring to some concluding stats, here is the MID showing a very respectable 14.9 km/l for a journey of the last 220-odd km from Mahabaleshwar > Chalkewadi > Pune:-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4801.jpg

The great looking design of the A4 + super comfortable 5-link suspension to help you drive relaxedly on the ghats + decent 15 km/l over some winding ghat sections & straight highways + brilliant turbo-petrol to give the boost on tap when required at will + super DSG (with paddle shifters for company) for that driving pleasure...and some great ballads from Eric Clapton, Scorpions, Duran Duran and Taylor Swift (this one's from my kiddo) - yeh dil maange nothing more for a road trip!

Cheers.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 10th December 2022 at 14:42.
JoshMachine is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 17:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:46   #6
BHPian

Nice travelogue and a perfect use of the weekend.
That color looks stellar on your A4!
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Having come back from Mahabaleshwar last week myself, I know you must have enjoyed the trip. Only difference is we had lunch at Mapro Wai on the way back, the same sumptuous pizza, Strawberry n cream and coffee. And a nice cookie jar , on the way out of the Sales outlet. They keep it so decked up and colorful, you have to stop by and grab something ! Chalkewadi looks interesting. Must try it next time. Btw I had a rare spotting of a Kia EV6 parked at Mapro Wai, looks magnificent.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th December 2022 at 15:47.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Aditya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Nice travelogue and a perfect use of the weekend.
That color looks stellar on your A4!
Thanks! yes, the Terra Grey color hue looked even better due to overcast conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Having come back from Mahabaleshwar last week myself, I know you must have enjoyed the trip. Only difference is we had lunch at Mapro Wai on the way back, the same sumptuous pizza, Strawberry n cream and coffee. And a nice cookie jar , on the way out of the Sales outlet. They keep it so decked up and colorful, you have to stop by and grab something ! Chalkewadi looks interesting. Must try it next time
Oh yes! Enjoyment seems like an understatement on some of the road sections. specially between Mahabaleshwar and Chalkewadi. And this place, try you must!

By the cookie jar, did you mean this :-

Rendezvous with the Sahyadris-img_4813.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 19:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Thanks Aditya

Thanks! yes, the Terra Grey color hue looked even better due to overcast conditions.

Oh yes! Enjoyment seems like an understatement on some of the road sections. specially between Mahabaleshwar and Chalkewadi. And this place, try you must!

By the cookie jar, did you mean this :-
Correct ! Quite delicious I must say. Different from the usual jams and syrups.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:48   #10
BHPian

Brought back memories. The loop around Dhom lake and the Medha route connecting Mahabaleshwar to Satara are both extremely nice to drive. Great choice of routes. And from your pictures the road conditions look good too. Toseghar side also seems to have roads intact and boy do I envy the clear weather. Car looks stately and elegant even in the most rugged landscape. Sahyadris come alive especially around rains but for a spirited drive, nothing better than brown hills and dry tarmac. Enjoyed!

Last edited by megazoid : 12th December 2022 at 22:50.
megazoid is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks