Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 03:28   #1
BHPian

A quick drive to Hoganekkal

This is just a for-the-record drive to Hoganekkal.

Why so, one may ask. I want to say, "for the record, yes, we have visited Hoganekkal."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even though we visit Bangalore every couple of months or so and have explored many places in and around Bangalore, Hoganekkal, despite being its prominence in the tourist circuit, never caught our fancy. From the many travelogues and articles that we have read, the impression was that it was too "touristy" a place and this put us off, until a few weeks ago.

We were in Bangalore during a long weekend and most of the places suitable for an overnight trip from Bangalore were booked out. It seemed like we would be just lazing around in the house itself when the idea was floated to go on a drive to Hoganekkal. It was agreed upon unanimously, the route was explored and fixed as thus:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-000001.jpg

On a fine Sunday noon, we set out fron Jigani. Jigani-Anekal road was getting four laned with a good part completed, but there were also some WIP sections like this:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00001.jpg

We crossed Anekal town through a shortcut, albeit narrow, suggested by GMaps and reached Anekal-Thally road:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00002.jpg

After some distance, the road narrowed into a single lane road:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00003.jpg

We reached Thally and stopped to take a photo of Thally Lake:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00004.jpg

After this quick stop, we drove on to Denkanikottai. The road continued to be good:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00005.jpg

We encountered some minor traffic jams in Denkanikottai town, but got out of town without much of a delay. By now, we were getting hungry and we soon found a nice place to have our packed lunch:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00006.jpg

What we mallus call "pothichoru," literally packed lunch:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00007.jpg

Villagers were going about their business:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00008.jpg

We quickly ate our lunch and drove on.

After a bit, we came across this:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00009.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00010.jpg
This was Mallikarjuna Temple, here: https://goo.gl/maps/xeqLyRMQeBphiX5N7

The route was scenic, mostly farmlands and/or wooded areas, and the road surface was good:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00011.jpg

We soon reached the entrance of Cauvery North WLS:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00012.jpg

A minor traffic holdup:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00013.jpg

One assumes major traffic holdup might not be pleasant, going by the signboard:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00014.jpg

Traffic supervisors:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00015.jpg

Continuing our drive, we came across a view point and a waterfall could be seen at a distance:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00016.jpg

This was named Metre Falls, located here: https://goo.gl/maps/M7VKogswqG2uoYBi9

I took out my DSLR and took a couple of closeup shots of the falls:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00017.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00018.jpg

Both man and machine took a breather here:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00019.jpg

Last edited by darklord : 22nd October 2022 at 01:00.
darklord is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 22:20   #2
BHPian

Re: A quick drive to Hoganekkal

We had no sooner start driving again than we came upon a pond:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00019a.jpg

It appeared to be a watering hole for animals, deducting from the signboard:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00019b.jpg

After a turn, we found this temple. There appeared to be an old small temple in the front, which was renovated into a newer structure behind:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00020.jpg

We were fast approaching Anchetty by now, but before exiting the forest area, we had to cross a bridge. I stopped after the bridge and walked back to shoot a few photos:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00021.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00022.jpg

A hornet's (?) nest:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00022a.jpg

Anchetty town was a sleepy little town, probably being a Sunday, and we quickly crossed it to enter the WLS again:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00023.jpg

We did not stop or pause till we came upon this temple, near Natrampalayam:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00024.jpg

Just before exiting the forest, there was some sort of toll booth, 50 or 60 rs, with a proper receipt.

The next stop was a view point here: https://goo.gl/maps/cbZ4uySyXLT9WfwH7
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00025.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00026.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00027.jpg

We drove nonstop from then on as it was already 4 o'clock:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00028.jpg

After entering our details at the forest checkpost, we entered Hoganekkal town limits. The guard unashamedly asked for 50 rs, and when asked for receipt, he pointed to the register and said, "this is enough saar." Didn't want to waste my time and energy arguing over 50 rs, especially with the family on board.

We caught our first glimpse of Kaveri:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00029.jpg

We were flagged down by police soon after, but immediately let us go, probably because we were a family. There was another fee collection point, apparently by the panchayat, 70 rs, with a receipt.

We found parking in Hotel Tamilnadu premises, right before the main gate of the falls, fee of 50 rs, with a proper receipt:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00030.jpg

We walked to the boating point. There were fish sellers and stalls cooking them on both sides of the walkway:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00031.jpg

The smell was a bit overwhelming, even though we were fish eaters and were from coastal Kerala. We reached the boating point and at the ticket counter, there was a mad rush. There was no one to regulate the crowd nor any queue. We were approached by multiple boatmen and on hearing we were a family of 5 adults and 3 kids, they told us we needed 2 coracles, which was understandable. But then they quoted prices from 2000 to 2500 per coracle, which we immediately knew was way too high. No amount of negotiation would bring down the prices and looking at the crowd at the ticket counter, we knew there was no point negotiating any further. Dejectedly, we decided to walk to the viewing point.

We traced our steps back to the entrance of the viewing point and a hanging bridge, but it was locked and guarded by a cop and a security guard. The cop adamantly refused entry and said the bridge is under repairs and that he cannot let anyone in. There were a lot of people who were arguing with the cop, but he would not relent. At the same time though, we could see people returning from inside the area. It seemed as if it was a lost cause. We decided to be satisfied with just the drive and to return home. There were multiple tea stalls nearby and we decided to have tea.

By the time we finished our tea and prepared to leave, it was approaching 5:30. A boatman approached us and offered to take us to the waterfall for 1000 rs. Half of us were fed up already and opted out. Three adults and two kids opted to go for this price. The boatman took us to the ticket counter, which was closed for the day, but still upon the insistence of the boatman, issued ticket for the coracle ride. Turned out 750 was the government's fixed price for the coracle ride for half an hour, to be paid at the counter, with the rest being "tips" to be paid to the boatman.

The boatman prepared his coracle while we donned the life jacket and prepared ourselves for the coracle ride to view the falls.

Last edited by darklord : 22nd October 2022 at 03:58.
darklord is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 01:57   #3
BHPian

The boatman began rowing the coracle in the direction of the falls:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00032.jpg

The surroundings were beautiful:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00033.jpg

We entered a canyon:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00034.jpg
Noticed the hanging bridge to which we were adamantly refused entry only a few minutes ago on the pretext of it being under repairs. We were not surprised to see people on it even now.

The boatman was a talkative guy, but he had a keen eye and also explained various things about the place. He had noticed the DSLR in my hands and directed my attention towards a river otter. What I managed with low light and a shaky coracle:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00034a.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00034b.jpg

A white-browed wagtail:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00034c.jpg

All the while, we were inching closer..
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00035.jpg

..and closer..
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00035a.jpg

And then we were as close as we could get:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00035b.jpg

It was difficult to hold the coracle against the current and after just a few seconds, we were drifting back to where we came from.

Right adjacent to the big fall was what used to be a bathing place, but per the boatman, the recent floods had destroyed it:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00036.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00037.jpg

I took a parting shot:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00038.jpg

Our coracle began to drift down the canyon:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00039.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00040.jpg

A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00041.jpg

The boatman offered to take us downstream since it was only halfway into our half an hour ride, but we politely declined because half of our group was waiting for us. We were back where we started in 20 mins, paid up 300 rs to the boatman and thanked him.

By now, it was nightfall. We regrouped and hurried to parking. The crowds had almost dispersed by now. We began our drive back and since it was already dark, we decided to take the longer, albeit more lively Dharmapuri-Hosur route. We stopped at Sharavana Bhavan Classic after Krishnagiri Toll Plaza to have dinner.

Idiyappam:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00044.jpg

Cheese masala dosa:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00046.jpg

Rava dosa:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00047.jpg

Gobi manchurian:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00048.jpg

After a sumptuous dinner, we resumed our journey:
A quick drive to Hoganekkal-00049.jpg

We were back home by about 10:30 at night.

Last edited by darklord : 22nd October 2022 at 03:48.
darklord is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 04:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:47   #5
BHPian

It is a lovely drive but Hogenakkal is trashy, to say the least. Good you stayed away from the fish. It is dam fish and those guys really spice it up. Saravana bhavan classic is the best restaurant according to me on that stretch. I visit the place every time i travel from erode to bangalore and the other way too!
rajeevsulu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
It is a lovely drive but Hogenakkal is trashy, to say the least. Good you stayed away from the fish. It is dam fish and those guys really spice it up. Saravana bhavan classic is the best restaurant according to me on that stretch. I visit the place every time i travel from erode to bangalore and the other way too!
I did not want to be so blunt about it, but yeah, I agree that trashy seems to be the apt word. Sad that such a beautiful place is being exploited and choked with no thought about sustenance.
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I did not want to be so blunt about it, but yeah, I agree that trashy seems to be the apt word. Sad that such a beautiful place is being exploited and choked with no thought about sustenance.
Unfortunately that is the truth. I remember the place very fondly from my college days, early 90" S to late 90" S. It was lovely. Now no!
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

The Anchetty has been a great off-beat route. Perfect for a weekend. But surely late afternoon is bit on other side. You should start earlier. The meat is the drive via Anchetty which you need time to enjoy.

But all said and done great drive and great snaps!
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Anchetty has been a great off-beat route. Perfect for a weekend. But surely late afternoon is bit on other side. You should start earlier. The meat is the drive via Anchetty which you need time to enjoy.

But all said and done great drive and great snaps!
Thank you.

Whilst I agree with you otherwise, between a child, two toddlers, and my night shift, 12 was the earliest we could manage.
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful narration and exquisite photographs to go with it, thanks for sharing. Need to plan a trip to Hogenekkal soon, been there last over a decade ago.
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 13:01   #11
RRM
BHPian

Only thing I wait to see is the cleanliness awareness in this superb tourist area

I had travelled to this place the next day when I took pre-worshipped 2005 V Toyota Innova. It’s been almost 8-10 yrs now but heard nothing much changed wrt cleanliness

However, I still like the place as once you get inside it’s super scenic!
RRM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 13:16   #12
BHPian

Nostalgic - I have visited Hogenakal in the early 90's. Pristine place at that time. Very enjoyable.

Visited again in Feb 22, OMG, what a transformation. Full concrete walkboards and fully crowded. Male's walking in their undies fully drunk and what not. Only the coracle part was enjoyable and we went in blistering mid noon Sun, so made a quick trip.

Your drive photos were too good. Need to try that side of the roads. Problem with Chennai is 1. Getting out has become very tough and 2. Good places are min of 4 to 5 hrs away
pugram is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks