Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 11:45   #1
BHPian

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune

The words "Independence Day" bring forth memories of sacrifice, struggle, war, death and joy.
To the victor go the spoils.

In 2022, 15 August was special, as the country celebrated 75 years since we threw off the British yoke. Usually I am more excited on Republic day. Put it down to all the pomp and splendour and magnificent display of our Faujis marching in perfect unison. Compared to this Independence Day celebrations are the beige version, the only colourful highlight being the hoisting of our beloved Tiranga and singing of our National Anthem.

But since this was a momentous milestone, I decided to actually drag myself out of bed and do something special. As the nation geared up for the Diamond jubilee celebrations, I was reminded of these immortal lines.

Crush your enemies
See them driven before you
And hear the lamentation
Of their women

~ Conan, the Barbarian, Cimmerian

Sadly I am no warrior nor a Terminator to crush enemy skulls. Also it is highly illegal and my mom is too old to bring me Gajar ka Halwa in jail. So I let that part slide.

As for wailing women, howling their lamentations, I have never seen one in my 50+ years of walking this earth.
Ok, perhaps one. There was this girl, who made a huge scene, after I threw her doll out of the window because she called my toy car "stupid". Pallavi, if you are reading this, I am still not sorry. So there.
But that was decades ago, when we were in Kindergarten and I don't think it counts.

Anyway, figuring out I didn't have any realistic options left, I decided to do the next best thing.
I would visit the St. Mary's church. Which is 196 years old. And it was built by the British.
For me it was the perfect way to gloat on Independence day.

Where were the Gora Sahibs now eh? That's right, nowhere to be seen.

Name:  Freedooom.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  32.0 KB
Freeeedooooooooom!

-----------------------------

St. Mary's Church is a very old institution. It is so old, that it's also known as the Mother Church of Deccan. The foundation stone was laid down in 1825 by one Reginald Heber who was the Bishop of Calcutta who, probably after seeing the design plans, described it as spacious but in bad architectural taste. The actual construction work was done by Lieut.Nash of the East India Company’s Engineers.

Name:  1870 pic.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  338.0 KB
This is how it looked in 1870

Name:  New pic.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  168.9 KB
This is how it looks today

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-location.png

Since it was built by the British as a garrison Church, it's located in the cantonment, which by definition is a British military area. Today of course, this area is the HQ of the Southern Command of the Indian armed forces.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-1-main-entrance.jpeg
Main entrance

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-2-first-look-inside.jpeg
As you enter the premises, you are greeted with this riot of colour which screams one word; antique
Ok, to be fair the carpets are new, but still.
Note the ceiling fans. Only two blades. Most probably imported from England decades ago.
Also note the wooden ceiling. Most probably genuine teak.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-3-infantry-colors.jpeg
Military colours have always played an important part in military pageantry. Probably because bright colours held aloft were easy to spot amongst all the dust and din of the battle. These colours were "retired" and thus offered to God.
The Hyderabad mentioned on the plaque is not the one we know as Bhagyanagar in Telangana, but the one in Sindh, Pakistan.
The 125th Napier's Rifles was an infantry regiment of the British Indian Army. At various points in history it was also known as the 1st Extra Battalion Bombay Native Infantry, the 25th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry (1826–1889) and the 25th Bombay Rifles. Amalgamated with five other regiments in 1922, it is now the 5th Battalion, Rajputana Rifles. The Battalion celebrated its bicentenary on 17 Feb 2020.
The Battle of Miani (or Meeanee as the British called it) took place on 17 February 1843, where Charles Napier and his troops clashed with the Baluch army of Talpur Amirs of Sindh, led by Mir Nasir Khan Talpur. The end result? East India Company victory and the annexation of Sindh into British India.
Abyssinia is the old name for Ethiopia.
Abyssinians, of African persuasion, were called Habshis in the vernacular.
Abyssinia > Habsan
Abyssinians > Habshis

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-4-pews.jpeg
The Pews. I am no expert but looked like teak. Very well maintained.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-5-main-altar-stained-glass.jpeg
The main altar. Do note the beautiful stained glass in the background.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-plaques.png
Also note the memorial plaques on the walls. Those are dedicated to assorted British war heroes, as well as some Indians.

Amongst all these, two deserve special mention. Lieutenant Colonel Brevet and Major William Morris. Both were one of the very few survivors of the Battle of Balaclava, where the Russians trounced the British on 25 October 1854. This battle has been immortalised as a poem, The Charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-6-golden-eagle.jpeg
Since this was built as a Garrison church, it is but natural, military standards and motifs would be part of the design.
The eagle as a military symbol is very old in Western culture.
It was a standard of every Roman legion. Known as Aquila, a legionary known as an aquilifer, (literally "eagle-bearer"), was charged with carrying this standard. The eagle was not just a symbol or a rallying point. It was also the prestige of the legion, and losing it meant great shame and dishonour. In fact, after the annihilation of three legions at Teutoburg Forest, the Romans spent decades retaliating for the defeat while also attempting to recover the three lost eagles.
HBO Rome fans will also remember, how Julius Caesar had his standard stolen and being the savvy and cunning commander that he was, how he used this incident for a political chess move.
Over the years this found it's way into the of the Holy Roman Empire, which in turn made it to the Prussian coat of arms and of course the Nazis. As a matter of fact, even today, the eagle is the emblem of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Bharat, has worshiped the eagle as the divine being Garuda, who is the choice mount of Lord Vishnu. All this of course predates the Romans.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-7-pulpit.jpeg
Stone base topped with teak wood. As per norms, the priests deliver their sermons from this location.

The Churches, usually have a cemetery in their premises. But never have I seen people buried inside the Church. Normal people that is. Usually, as per my catholic friends, this honour is reserved for Bishops.
But St. Mary's Church, Pune is an exception.
Inside, are not one, but two graves.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-9-edward-west.jpeg
Edward West, an economist, who also served as a judge

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-8-robert-grant.jpeg
Robert Grant, who was the Governor of Bombay. Those familiar with Grant Road or Grant Medical College, this is the same dude.
No, the medical college was not built by him. He merely proposed building such a college. The financial expenses were taken care of by two Indians, Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy and Jagannath Shankarsheth Murkute, who were extremely, and I mean extremely generous in their philanthropy (1 Lakh plus each. Mind you this is the lakh plus of 1838)
Grant died, in Dapodi, 9 days before his proposal was formally accepted by the East India Company administration. Since he was instrumental in seeding the idea, the college was named after him.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-10-looking-back.jpeg
View of the main door, looking back from the altar.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-11-stained-glass-detail.jpeg
Besides the altar, there is yet another stained glass window, just as beautiful.
The structure in the foreground is the dedicated place for baptism. The upper wooden structure opens up. Then the priest will hold the baby and perform the baptism ritual. The water used is drained out via the stone base which encloses the drain pipes.
Practical and very aesthetically pleasing.

Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune-12-stained-glass-detail-1.jpeg
A close up view of the imagery

For anyone wishing to visit, please note the weekly off is Monday.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 20th August 2022 at 12:15. Reason: Typo, minor formatting.
RedTerrano is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 16:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Visit to St. Mary's Church, Pune

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:15   #3
BHPian

Thank you RedTerrano, your threads are always a pleasure to read a treasure of information.

It is surprising that Mr. Grant would end up in Poona and his other counterpart Mr. Brabourne would end up in Calcutta (St. John's church).
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
The Churches, usually have a cemetery in their premises. But never have I seen people buried inside the Church. Normal people that is. Usually, as per my catholic friends, this honour is reserved for Bishops.
But St. Mary's Church, Pune is an exception.
Inside, are not one, but two graves.
It's not that rare. I've seen plenty of laypeople buried inside churches. Usually they tend to be significant benefactors. Heck i had some of my ancestors in a city church until it was remodelled some time back. I've still seen them in churches in Trivandrum and Goa. At least the ones in Trivandrum have been covered up with granite or carpets during renovation at some point.
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Thank you RedTerrano, your threads are always a pleasure to read a treasure of information.
Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
It is surprising that Mr. Grant would end up in Poona and his other counterpart Mr. Brabourne would end up in Calcutta (St. John's church).
Not really that surprising. Grant died at Dapodi which is quite near Pune, while Brabourne breathed his last in Kolkatta itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It's not that rare. I've seen plenty of laypeople buried inside churches. Usually they tend to be significant benefactors.
I can certainly understand the spiritual satisfaction of getting to lay down to rest in the house of the Lord, but culturally it still confuses me. Imagine so many people who must have inadvertently walked over the grave. That too in a culture where touching someone with your feet, even by mistake, is a huge no no.
Old 24th August 2022, 23:25   #6
BHPian

Hello RedTerrano

Was beautiful to read your write up. It brings back a lot of memories. I was in Bishops School (there was only 1 Bishops school back then) and used to sing in the school choir. I remember going to this church every year during thanks giving day. Also, I am not wrong, this is the only church which has a fully functional pipe organ. Sounds really beautiful when its being played. Miss those days.

Thanks again for bringing back some really old memories.
acestormtrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 21:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
Was beautiful to read your write up.
Thank you.

Quote:
Also, I am not wrong, this is the only church which has a fully functional pipe organ.
I am not really sure if this is the only church with a functioning organ, but the organ itself, (a really massive affair) has a history of it's own.

Originally it was imported from England (like those two bladed fans) and landed in Pune in 1869. It was so massive that a special chamber had to be built to house it.
It stopped working after a few years, and once again made it to England for repairs. A harmonium was used as a placeholder after it's departure.
It took almost four decades, that the organ was repaired and reinstalled at the church in 1905.

Come 2012, and the organ had deteriorated once again, with only 60% of it's pipes in working order. The estimate for repairs? A whopping 30 Lakh.
A public appeal was issued for funds, and again the organ made it's way to England for repairs, and back.

Here are a few pics of the said organ.

Name:  Organ 1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  125.6 KB
Like I said, it's a massive affair. Human for scale.

Name:  Organ 2.png
Views: 528
Size:  824.0 KB

Name:  Organ 3.png
Views: 535
Size:  943.0 KB

In case anyone is wondering how it sounds, here it is in action, with Shri. Peter George at the keyboard. Apparently he is the official organist...since the last 60 years!
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks