Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 16:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru to Ladakh - Wife, Suzuki V-Strom and I

Great travel story. Loved the pics.

Though I am not a rider, I do watch many riders riding to the Himalayas. Kudos to you and your wife who accompanied you in rough weather and that too on a bike.

I envy your riding spirit, keep it up

Last edited by rooster.ram : 8th August 2022 at 17:24.
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 23:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hey,
Curious why you took the BLR-Solapur-Indore-Japur route rather than BLR-HYD-Nagpur-Jhansi-Gwalior-Delhi Bypass- route which is more straight up?
Hey @Ragul! We did Spiti last year from Bangalore where we took the route you mentioned, NH44. We explicitly wanted to try a different route this time and to catch some sights on the way. In the interest of saving time, we came back via NH44.

Quote:
We all know using only front brakes can cause 2-wheeler to skid on turns, so whats this technique where you rely primarily on front brakes?
Also didn't get what you mean by " front giving way too often" ... ?
I don't brake during a turn unless absolutely necessary and there, I do use a bit of the rear brake. But 90% of the time, I use only the front brakes. That's the one that gives me most confidence.
The rear on the Wee is quite weak in any case, unlike the Himalayan, where it can come on quite strong, and unexpectedly cause a rear skid as well. Which might have also been one of the primary reasons i switched over to using only front brakes. Emergency braking - I use everything.
This same pattern of using front brakes caused a skid on sand for me. Very poor riding skills, yes. I had to switch off and on, and tune myself to only only only, use the rear brakes.

By the "front giving way too often", I meant that I found the front tyre wasn't digging in enough to inspire confidence. For reference, I do have my Himalayan which felt far more comfortable over similar terrain. For my next set, I would prefer a knobbier tyre. I'm awaiting reviews on the Anakee Adventure from a fellow Wee rider.

All said, if you're looking for an actual takeaway, I guarantee, "poor riding skills" is it

Last edited by shyamg28 : 8th August 2022 at 23:02.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:56   #33
BHPian

Hi Shyamg28, may I know the aux light installed on your bike. Where did you get that installed from in Bangalore.

Also, is Bangalore - Delhi (Bangalore-Adilabad-Jhansi-Delhi) doable in 3 days with pillion on vstrom650.
Planning to do Spiti(not the circuit but just stay in one of those remote places for treks) next month and hence seeking your inputs
Thmh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 23:13   #34
BHPian

This is the second thread about Ladakh trip in the same week which I have read!!
You both have nailed it. Kudos to both of you for completing this enduring trip on a two wheeler.

The travelogue has been written nicely with detailed photo coverage.
Wishing you both many more trips like this in the future.
PhoenixInRising is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:58   #35
BHPian

Excellent travelogue with pictures doing most of the talking and choice of locations also being immaculate!

Doing a trip like this on a bike is no joke and kudos to you guys for the same Excellent stuff!
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmh View Post
Hi Shyamg28, may I know the aux light installed on your bike. Where did you get that installed from in Bangalore.
Hello @Thmh! The aux lights are Maddog Scout X. I purchased the lights + wiring harness + switch + crash bar clamps + filters. Costed around 9k total I believe. I got them installed at the Suzuki service center itself. Based on where you stay, you can get it installed near you. The service guys did a good job for me.

Quote:
Also, is Bangalore - Delhi (Bangalore-Adilabad-Jhansi-Delhi) doable in 3 days with pillion on vstrom650.
Planning to do Spiti(not the circuit but just stay in one of those remote places for treks) next month and hence seeking your inputs
Is it doable? Yes. Have I done it - No I'm a very indisciplined and lazy fellow, so never could get up early and push off. To be honest though, a 1000kms on this bike is very much doable! And if you start real early, take shorter breaks, it can be achieved.
The issue is not really body fatigue according to me, it's the mental concentration that's required constantly by both of you.
What I can vouch for is the comfort for both, rider and pillion, through the entire day.

All the best to you both!
shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 19:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hello @Thmh! The aux lights are Maddog Scout X. I purchased the lights + wiring harness + switch + crash bar clamps + filters. Costed around 9k total I believe
Thanks Shyam. I missed this by one day and ended up buying HJG series due to my limited knowledge and salesman's expert skills! It came around 7k(including mad dog switch).

Quote:
Is it doable? Yes. Have I done it - No I'm a very indisciplined and lazy fellow, so never could get up early and push off. To be honest though, a 1000kms on this bike is very much doable! And if you start real early, take shorter breaks, it can be achieved
That's the issue with us as me being an early riser and my wife the opposite ��
I think we can do 800kms atleast if Hyderabad traffic doesn't slow us down. Will keep the group posted or come with a travelogue post completion of the trip. Thanks again Shyam
Thmh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 21:39   #38
BHPian

Amazing thread shyamg28! Trust me to see this now

Quote:
I don't brake during a turn unless absolutely necessary and there, I do use a bit of the rear brake. But 90% of the time, I use only the front brakes. That's the one that gives me most confidence.
The rear on the Wee is quite weak in any case, unlike the Himalayan, where it can come on quite strong, and unexpectedly cause a rear skid as well. Which might have also been one of the primary reasons i switched over to using only front brakes. Emergency braking - I use everything.
This same pattern of using front brakes caused a skid on sand for me. Very poor riding skills, yes. I had to switch off and on, and tune myself to only only only, use the rear brakes.
I found this front brake business a little too irritating from my Kinetic Honda days, where it caused me to skid and fall 3 times in the same week. Tried it on the non ABS Pulsar 150 that i learnt to ride in, and felt the front slip, and thats been the last of the falls and using the front as primary, even on my V15 and any other 150/200cc commuter and even my ex-Himmy.

The Himmy 411 was anyway a bad case of the brakes being the worst. Even the Xpulse had better ones. I agree with your rear brake experience - the way it used to catch and subsequently the ABS pulse when I used to slow down from 120 kmph to 40. On ADVs, I have always felt the 21 inch fronts to be extremely disconnected especially with knobby tires and the brakes feeling wooden - I read your lowside crash and it reminded me exactly of this disconnect. I never used to brake on gravel, sand or water and just let the suspension and tyres do its job.

It changed with the naked sportbikes/ADVs having 17/19 inch fronts. The way the front slows the bike down is just benne - butter smooth! I rarely bring my foot down on the right peg, keeping the balls of the feet on it as the right hand does the job well.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 26th February 2024 at 21:42.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks