Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Shadow & Booster travel by Train

Whenever there is a need to travel long distance with Pets, this sends a lot of pet parents into worry.
And not without reason, constant motion of a vehicle is not something most breeds can manage and it leaves them all stressed out and drained.

Of course there are many who have ensured their pets are used to travel in cars or other modes of transport and that helps, but finding pet friendly places enroute can also be tricky.

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-1.jpeg

While the thread is about Pet travel, a little bit of background on to why I am writing this.

As some of you might be aware that we own a place at Panna Tiger Reserve : Bear Valley Camp (Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve). We have always had dogs at the camp, but a few unfortunate incidents later we found ourselves with no pets.

Now while we could always get home a pup from the nearby village, we never found a pair that we could take care of together. A pair at minimum is an absolute necessity at our place for a couple of reasons, first they would have each other for company and play and second that they can watch each others back.

Dogs are pack oriented animals and they work really well that way, especially if you have working dogs.

Requirements
The type of dog was extremely important for me due to the region at play and the climatic conditions therein. We have extremely dry and harsh summers and equally severe winters.
Hardy and fuss free, silent and intelligent and yet efficient at guarding
And on top of that, bordering a forest area meant we needed a breed which could take care of themselves and yet not be intimidating to people who visit us.

After a long search I found out that my Uncle had a few Janwal Pashmi Hound pups from the first litter of his Alpha pair along with a Mudhol Hound.

For those who don't know about these breeds, these are true Indian Sight Hounds from Central Maharashtra (Janwal Village, Latur District). Also known as the Indian Saluki, these are the last few indigenous breeds which are surviving today, purely due to interest shown by certain breeders in keeping this rare breed alive.

A couple of links which gives insight in the breed

https://www.caravanhound.in/home/pashmi-hound/

https://www.mylilpaw.in/2021/10/pashmi-hound.html

In this world of Pure Bred craziness, these come across as a whiff of (fluffy ears, long legs and strong bones and of course blitz-Krieg speed) and thus generating the fresh air!
With its antecedents from Latur which has a harsh and a pretty similar climatic condition and topography like Panna, these are extremely hardy and fuss free dogs.

But the wild card in them is the kind of work which they were utilized for : hunting.

Many a King and/or Zamindar in Maharashtra and down south kept these breeds for hunting a variety of game including : hares, deer, gazelle, blackbuck, wolves, porcupine and wild boars. Nowadays, rich farmers keep them for both sport and guarding their crops against wild boars.

These are courageous and will not hesitate to challenge a Wild Boar and can outrun them easily. Modus operandi is typical of Wild Dogs who chase for long periods driving the animal into exhaustion.

Characteristics
The large bone structure, gives them strength and the long legs allow for a fairly long leg movement, covering far greater ground as compared to other dogs, they have a large chest, housing larger lungs needed for sprinters and then the body tapers towards the back for a thin waistline and a long waggly tail helpful as a rudder for sharp turns (essential while coursing after a hare)
Hardly anyone believes when I tell them they are just pups!

So coming back to our story, when I heard that my Uncle has them, I called to enquire if he has any pups remaining out of the litter of 10.

It was my lucky day and he told me that he only had the last 2 Males left with him. So that was it, my Uncle wanted to keep one for himself but I explained to him the need for 2 which he gladly agreed on. He was very happy about the fact that these 2 would see a kind of freedom that very get to enjoy and utilize their Wild instincts to the best for their own survival.

And that's how I met Shadow and Booster!

Now it was time to take them both to their new home at Panna, the question was how? They were both over 4 months old and being a large breed the Gurkha won't be sufficient or comfortable for them both. Plus the added challenge of them never having set foot in a vehicle before.
My Uncle tried a couple of times to take them around in a vehicle, the result was a ton of motion sickness. Traveling 1200+ kms with 2 large dogs not used to car travel, was giving me the creeps.

And then my wife, who out of the blue suggested that, "Why don't you travel by train with them?".

Now the last time I traveled by train was a few years ago and I had no idea about the requirements etc. I was not very keen on putting them in the luggage van either (though that's the way most are transported)
I checked out flight options, but that wasn't helpful as
1. No direct flights
2. Closest airport would be a 5hr drive which would be too much

So we singled out the train travel, listing down the requirements for all here
- 1st AC Coupe Travel only
- 1st AC Coach have a 2 berth coupe and a 4 berth coupe
- you need to have confirmed berths of either 2 berths and NOC from other passengers (difficult) or have 4 confirmed berths.
- in case you get only 2 confirmed berths in the 4 berth coupe, and the other passengers do not agree, then your pet will be moved to the luggage van.

I booked the 4 berth coupe as we needed the extra space for Shadow and Booster and frankly neither me nor my Uncle had ever done this before, so were not sure on how they both would react.

Once you have your confirmed tickets with you, proceed to the Parcel office of the station where you intend to board from. You need to carry the Pets medical file with you, this is also where they might be weighed if the pet is an adult, since ours were only 4 months old, they skipped this part.

The cost for the parcel slip was around 750INR per pet.

Acclimatizing your Pet before you enter the train is very important, as the sights and sounds are quite intimidating due to passing trains/engines etc.

I walked them along the length of the platform, so that they could stretch their legs before the long journey and also an opportunity to relieve themselves. I carried some newspaper and tissue rolls to clean up after they were done - to ensure we don't leave the platform dirty. Not the most pleasant thing but definitely essential.

They had to be carried inside the cabin as they were reluctant to do so, but once inside the coupe, they made themselves comfortable. My Aunt who also joined us for this travel, was definitely well prepared and she had carried adult diaper sheets, which we placed on the floor, so that in case they relieved themselves in the night or puked, it would be easy enough to clean.

Along with this, we carried
- a lot of newspapers
- kitchen rolls
- toilet paper rolls
- pedigree and some treats
- disposable bowls for their food and water

While we kept the leash handy, inside the coupe they were not leashed and they were absolute angels. We also did not feed them a full meal as it would only add to their sickness, we made sure to keep them hydrated throughout, even feeding their pedigree soaked in water.

The journey was to be 19hrs and then the train was delayed for over 10hrs, but both Shadow and Booster were absolute angels and we did not even feel once that they were traveling for the first time. The next morning, I took them for a walk along the coach and placed one of the diaper sheets on the floor, intelligent as they were, they relieved themselves exactly on that sheet, making my life a lot easier

And did I mention that the both were like celebrities on the Train station, with everyone's eyes on them, its not everyday one gets to see a rare Indian Pure Bred Sight Hound.

The journey from Satna railway station to the camp (around 100kms) was eventful - involving 3 stops and then a messed up car by the time we reached the camp. They were stressed beyond measure and puked multiple times. I can't even imagine what a 1200+km road-trip would have been with this happening!

Once at the camp, it was like releasing fish in water, they got well settled. They were used to a kennel back at home at my Uncles farm and so I had got one made for them.

There is going to be a photo overdose now, so please bear with me

This is them getting ready for their travel to the Railway Station

Booster

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-1st-look-booster.jpeg

Shadow

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-1st-look-shadow.jpeg

We hired a buggy at the station as it was a lot easier then to make two reluctant fur babies walk all the way to the parcel office. This was new for us too and we were happy

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-buggy-station.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-we-r-ready-travel.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-booster-buggy.jpeg

And we reached the Parcel office

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-parcel-office.jpeg

Waiting for the train to arrive

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-platform-1.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-platform-2.jpeg

I have videos of us walking on the platform, but I haven't yet posted it on YouTube, will share the links here once done.

Inside the 1st AC Coach - they think its like a large kennel and you will see why I say this

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-inside.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-outside-coupe.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-inside-coupe.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-us-.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-sleepy.jpeg

And so our journey commenced and after a marathon 10hr delay we reached the camp all exhausted

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-reached-camp.jpeg

And then started The Adventures of Shadow & Booster
... and the wife is always right!

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-first-walk.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.18.46-pm-1.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.18.46-pm.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-12.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-11.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-10.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-9.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-8.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-7.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-6.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-first-pic.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-5.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-4.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-3.jpeg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-whatsapp-image-20220712-12.17.37-pm-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Trojan : 12th July 2022 at 13:01.
Trojan is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Shadow & Booster travel by Train

Nice one man!

Will help many and congrats on acquiring one of my favourite breeds, wishing you a joyful companionship and want to meet them at the camp

Regards
2himanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Whenever there is a need to travel long distance with Pets, this sends a lot of pet parents into worry.
And not without reason, constant motion of a vehicle is not something most breeds can manage and it leaves them all stressed out and drained.

Of course there are many who have ensured their pets are used to travel in cars or other modes of transport and that helps, but finding pet friendly places enroute can also be tricky.

Attachment 2332415

While the thread is about Pet travel, a little bit of background on to why I am writing this.

As some of you might be aware that we own a place at Panna Tiger Reserve : Bear Valley Camp (Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve). We have always had dogs at the camp, but a few unfortunate incidents later we found ourselves with no pets.
This is awesome! I have been to panna a couple of times, the last time was in Apr this year. The reason we had gone was to see Hyenas in the buffer in the night safari.
My son has been on wanting to see an hyena for long now, and we had actually halted near the bear valley camp for a while as apparently there is a spot there where we can see the hyenas.

Although we did not manage to spot one we are surely going there again. And staying in Bear Valley camp

Any pointers on what is the best time to spot hyenas?

We also have a dog (supposedly a doberman, who's scared of everything bigger than an housefly) and it is truly a anxious drive everytime we take him along. Although I probably wouldn't take a train as I can't stand them, good to know of an alternative.

Needless to say, would love to meet the beauties when there!
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Shadow and Booster are so adorable . Thank you for the t-log. Cheers!!
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 11:20   #5
BHPian

Loved the thread!
Your concern for the pups shone through each line - and I am sure they will enjoy a much fuller life than the ones usually enjoyed by pets in the city. Did not know about this species at all - and the face and eyes of Indian Pariah with other features of hound had me stumped, will definitely read up on them.

Hope you keep this updated with pics!
cr4nkshaft is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Very nice thread @Trojan, thank you for sharing. Lovely pictures too.

Your Pashmis are beautiful and lucky to live where they do. It would be great if you could post some pictures of Jamwal Pashmis owned by your uncle as well, That is a very rare breed indeed.

I didn't know Railways allowed dogs in passenger compartments. The first class compartment with a dog will work well for a lot of pet loving families.

PS - We have a Mudhol hound in the locality, I have seen him occasionally taking evening strolls. A city suburb is not a great place for a Mudhol/Karwani.
He is a beautiful but very reserved dog, weary of strangers.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:01   #7
CJP
BHPian

Such lovely dogs, your pics only make the urge to reach out and pet them stronger! I had never heard of this breed, down south we hear and sometimes if fortunate enough, see a Rajapalayam.

All the very best to Shadow and Booster!!
CJP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:09   #8
BHPian

@Trojan

I have a cat and frequently traveled in Air India with him. They allow, pets upto 5 kg, including the pet carrier.

For traveling in 1st ac, couple of questions.

1. Should, visit to the parcel office be done on the day of travel itself? Any time limitations wrt the parcel office if you are aware?

2. While booking 1st AC tickets online, is there an option which ensures you book a 2 berth coupe?

Thanks

Last edited by Javelin : 13th July 2022 at 15:13.
Javelin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Give my ton of love to Shadow and Booster, they are so adorable; if ever get a chance to visit panna surely drop at your camp to meet them.
Sach_511 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lovely journey and Amazing looking dogs. Do they do well in a rainy western ghats climate?

Calling dibs on any pups if you do plan for them in the future. I know these two are male but in case.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
@Trojan

I have a cat and frequently traveled in Air India with him. They allow, pets upto 5 kg, including the pet carrier.

1. Should, visit to the parcel office be done on the day of travel itself? Any time limitations wrt the parcel office if you are aware?

2. While booking 1st AC tickets online, is there an option which ensures you book a 2 berth coupe?

Thanks
For 1, details covered in this post (Transporting Pets within India or internationally).

For 2, requesting a 2 berth coupe (in step 2 in above post) greatly increases your chances. But you'll come to know only on day of travel depending on how many other "requests" have been made.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:36   #12
BHPian

Lovely thread!
Just curious if Shadow & Booster met any working K-9s at the stations!
Want to know how each party reacted if this encounter did happen.
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:08   #13
BHPian

Nice to read the trip by train. Takes me back to 1987 when we took our dog in Ist class on a long journey. Stoppages and halts were a real problem for all of us. Anyway it went of well though we were worried all the way.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:42   #14

Hi, lovely to read the thread. Your dogs look similar to the Greyhounds!
Aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
Nice one man!

Will help many and congrats on acquiring one of my favourite breeds, wishing you a joyful companionship and want to meet them at the camp
Thanks a ton Himanshu, drop in any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
... and we had actually halted near the bear valley camp for a while as apparently there is a spot there where we can see the hyenas.

Any pointers on what is the best time to spot hyenas?

Although I probably wouldn't take a train as I can't stand them, good to know of an alternative.
That's great Sandy, well about Hyenas we see them almost everyday. I would be happy to help you spot them.

You should try the Train option, 1st AC is really superb and your Dobbie will enjoy every bit of the travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Shadow and Booster are so adorable . Thank you for the t-log. Cheers!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Loved the thread!
I am sure they will enjoy a much fuller life than the ones usually enjoyed by pets in the city. Did not know about this species at all - and the face and eyes of Indian Pariah with other features of hound had me stumped, will definitely read up on them.
Yes they are enjoying the sights and sounds of the Jungle. Do read up, the more I learn about them, the more fascinating it gets, you should see them running! More pics and videos coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
It would be great if you could post some pictures of Jamwal Pashmis owned by your uncle as well, That is a very rare breed indeed.

I didn't know Railways allowed dogs in passenger compartments.
Thank you Slick! I have asked my Uncle for some pics, will upload when he shares them with me.
Yes the railways do allow and its such a lovely way to travel, I think this is the best way provided you have the required time on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I had never heard of this breed, down south we hear and sometimes if fortunate enough, see a Rajapalayam.
These along with Chippiparai, Kombai, Mudhol, Rampur and Rajapalyam are some of the native hound species, and are on the brink of survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post

Your cat is a high flyer Javelin!
Normally the reservation chart is prepared only on the last day, so it is advisable to go on the day of travel.
When you are booking the tickets online, there is an option to select a Coupe /Cabin. Make sure to select that while booking itself.

There is 1 Coach of 1st AC, which is divided into 2 parts;

a. Part which resembles like an AC 2Tier with curtains
b. Part which has 10 Berths divided in 3 Coupes (4+4+2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach_511 View Post
Give my ton of love to Shadow and Booster, they are so adorable; if ever get a chance to visit panna surely drop at your camp to meet them.
Thank you, yes please do drop in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Do they do well in a rainy western ghats climate?

Calling dibs on any pups if you do plan for them in the future.
Hahaha too early for "Peele Haath" but sure!

They are fuss free dogs and their short coats help, in fact I observe they love lying down in small puddles to cool down during the mid-day heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
For 2, requesting a 2 berth coupe (in step 2 in above post) greatly increases your chances. But you'll come to know only on day of travel depending on how many other "requests" have been made.
Thanks for the helpful links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Lovely thread!
Just curious if Shadow & Booster met any working K-9s at the stations!
Want to know how each party reacted if this encounter did happen.
Even we were looking out for those but didn't meet any K9s, but there was another Golden Retriever in the 2 Berth Coupe next to ours. He was a regular traveler and was at complete ease with everything.

I missed sharing another link which had really helped me understand the process, putting it here now

https://pawsome.in/

They specialize in Pet travel and even facilitate international travels for those who cannot accompany their pets along.

Thanks to all who came here to read and be a part of this adventure!

Cheers
Trojan is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks