Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Shadow & Booster travel by Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

These along with Chippiparai, Kombai, Mudhol, Rampur and Rajapalyam are some of the native hound species, and are on the brink of survival.

Gaddi, Bohli or Bully Kutta, Bakharwal.

I found out about the Janwal pashmi very recently, rough coated coffee coloured Pashmis. Youtube videos suggest they can be quite fierce as well.

Off topic but I think Indian dog breeds are quite rugged as they have not been bred for show.

- Slick
Old 14th July 2022, 03:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those who don't know about these breeds, these are true Indian Sight Hounds from Central Maharashtra (Janwal Village, Latur District).
I did not know India had a breed of dog that is a proper hound of our own soil. Beautiful slender dogs, true to the hound profile albeit smaller. I guess they will grow a bit more. Their furry ears are a stand out feature for sure. The only hounds I get to see are poor retired Grey hounds and they all look depressed for some reason. Not the kind of dog I want.

In our country, working dogs or even mutts are the way to go. English or whatever other fancy breed is simply too much over head for the owner. I love dogs and it pains to see pets like a Husky (or any furry dog) forced into a air conditioned room. They can't cope with our heat and dust.

Glad they could adapt to train travel. You don't have to worry about this anymore, incase you need to travel with them in the future.
Old 15th July 2022, 01:23   #18
BHPian

Very detailed, timely and helpful thread, I am considering a train journey with my Boerboel ( South African Mastiff ) from Chandigarh to Vadodara.
Had lot of questions which your thread answered.
As our dog is a rescue and adopted we still don't know how good he will be with train but he loves long car drives and we visit one tiger reserve every year.

We will make sure to drop in and meet Shadow and Booster when we visit Panna, they are adorable and you got one really amazing breed there.
Old 16th July 2022, 10:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Nice to read the trip by train. Takes me back to 1987 when we took our dog in Ist class on a long journey.
Wow that's way back, how was the process back then, was it easier or you could just carry him along to the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Hi, lovely to read the thread. Your dogs look similar to the Greyhounds!
Yes as they are Hounds too, various regions around the world have Hounds each adapted to the local climate and general purpose of usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Gaddi, Bohli or Bully Kutta, Bakharwal.
Am not sure if Bully Kutta would get classified as a Hound as it does not have the slender face and narrow muzzle typical of hounds, Bully Kuttas are more square jawed, with powerful neck muscles and an overall stocky and well built body. But it definitely is one interesting breed, equally courageous and a delight to watch.
Janwal Pashmis have an inherent trait (instinct) for hunting/chasing, this is due to the centuries of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I did not know India had a breed of dog that is a proper hound of our own soil.
Thank you, yes they will grow a few more inches as they are only 4.5 months old at present. These are very well regarded dogs and are also included in the KCI.
Another highly potent and respectable Indian Breed are the Mudhol Hounds who have the distinction of being the only Indian breed to be inducted in the Indian Army as part of the official canine unit. These will slowly replace the German Shepherds and other foreign breeds as they have been found to outperform them in almost all aspects and with minimal fuss on climate etc.

Check this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa!lor View Post
Very detailed, timely and helpful thread, I am considering a train journey with my Boerboel ( South African Mastiff ) from Chandigarh to Vadodara.
Had lot of questions which your thread answered.
Oh wow, what a fabulous kid you have!! I have always had a liking to strong jawed large dogs and Mastiffs make it to the top of the list.
If he is well adapted to car travel, then the train travel would be like home for him.
Do share pics! And of course do drop in whenever possible, Shadow & Booster can exchange some wild notes with the big brother.

Now time for some pics, here are the parents of Shadow & Booster

Here is the mother, Pashmi you have to see her coat, plain gorgeous

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-pashmi.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-pashmi-1.jpeg

And here is Buddy the proud Father, as you can see Shadow is well on his way to match his Fathers coat

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-buddy-1.jpeg

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-buddy-2.jpeg

And here is Masti (their Aunt) as the name suggests she is full of it. Masti is a glorious Mudhol Hound and its a treat to watch her in action, she is F A S T

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-masti.jpeg

So far could only get my hands on a few pics, will share more.
Trojan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Wow that's way back, was it easier
The process was same but the Ist class (not AC) cabin was more airy with lot of natural light. They did ask whether any lady was travelling along.(dont know why?) The journey(to the north east) had lot of unplanned halts where we took him for a walk along the tracks. The train (back then) roll and jerks made him scary all the time but my mother pacified,though he hardly slept.
Old 17th July 2022, 14:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Am not sure if Bully Kutta would get classified as a Hound as it does not have the slender face and narrow muzzle typical of hounds, Bully Kuttas are more square jawed, with powerful neck muscles and an overall stocky and well built body. But it definitely is one interesting breed, equally courageous and a delight to watch.
Janwal Pashmis have an inherent trait (instinct) for hunting/chasing, this is due to the centuries of training....
My Bad, I didn't realize you were speaking only about hounds. Yes, Bully would be a guard dog, same with the rest I mentioned.

Quote:

... Here is the mother, Pashmi you have to see her coat, plain gorgeous....
She is beautiful, Thanks for sharing.
One question,
Do Janwal Pashmis get as big as a Mudhol hound? As Mudhols do get quite tall.

- Slick
Old 17th July 2022, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow, what a fabulous kid you have!! I have always had a liking to strong jawed large dogs and Mastiffs make it to the top of the list.
If he is well adapted to car travel, then the train travel would be like home for him.
Do share pics! And of course do drop in whenever possible, Shadow & Booster can exchange some wild notes with the big brother.
Hi thanks for the reply and will get in touch with you after finalising my travel plans, it will mostly be during winter months. There are very few places where your pet can accompany you in India so glad I found your camp that too in Panna.
Below some pictures of my fur baby his name is OCEAN.
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow & Booster travel by Train-img_20220224_161546.jpg  

Shadow & Booster travel by Train-img_20220414_180100__01.jpg  

Sa!lor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks