Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza

Hello to everyone! Excited to be part of this community as a member. My first post and that too a travel blog is something special to me. Hoping to contribute and receive takeaways from this forum and more.

Prologue Part1:
My dad is working in Kolkata. At first, it all started way back in June '21 when I convinced my dad to a road trip to Kolkata from Chennai by car. He knows that I love to drive and road trips. Since he got transferred to Kolkata in March'21, he also thought of shifting a few things from Chennai to Kolkata which he can't do by airways. June was the time when lockdown is getting relaxed slowly. So I gave him the idea of traveling by car. After a few days, he decided to come to Chennai to accompany me and my grandfather(he would accompany me while coming back).

Service Part 1:
We gave our MANZA to the Tata ASS, Chrompet, for a full inspection and made the service advisor aware of the long-distance travel. He said all will be taken care of and did the general checkup, oil service, and wheel alignment. He asked us to replace the steering rack, which he told us to do back in Feb'20. He advised us not to travel with this steering condition as it may become fatal during our trip. Asked dad, gave his signal to replace and the final bill came at Rs.27K

Chennai-Kolkata Part1: "NEGATIVE"
So all set to start the trip by 3rd Jul'21. It was really exciting for me since I haven't driven like this in my life. So planned to start by 4.30 am but got delayed to 5.30 am. The roads from Chennai to Vijayawada were very good without any major potholes and broken roads. After almost 350kms, started to hear some faint noise from the front left wheel. It's not that audible since I like to cruise the car under 80- 100 kph. But I had the feeling that something is wrong with the wheel. So after a few km, I asked my dad whether he could hear the same from his side. He also said 'yes'. Then I tried to increase the speed to check whether the noise persists further. Then it became very audible. We planned to check the car at Vijayawada which was the nearby city from our location. We stopped at a wheel alignment shop, where they checked and said that the wheel bearing has worn out and asked us not to worry and take the car to Kolkata peacefully. Even though a tata service center was available nearby, we believed him and got away from Vijayawada. That was probably the worst decision we took on our trip. Then around 70-80kms later the noise got very audible at 50-60kmph which got us worried and made me doubt how could we travel for another 1000kms with this noise. No way! Tried to search nearby tata service, but nothing for another 100kms. Checked again with another mechanic on the way he also said there was no problem and asked us to continue our travel. But it doesn't look good in any way for us with this situation. Called the service advisor at Chennai asking what inspection they did even after saying about our long trip. He didn't care and said it was tyre noise and not to worry. Then came to a conclusion about what happened, happened, and let's move to the solution part.

The time was around 4.45 pm, we called the tata service at Rajamundry which was near to us at 50-60kms. Since lockdown restrictions were there between 5 pm-5 am, the dealer refused to wait for us. To our bad luck, the next day was Sunday which was a full lockdown there. Then made a few calls with my dad's friend and relatives who were present near the place to convince the dealer to wait. No recommendations and calls made the dealer waiting for us. It was a really tense situation for the last 2-3hrs. Then I gave a final try to tata customer care and told them our situation, they totally understood and were happily ready to help us with anything literally. They called the dealer's G.M to wait for us and he directly called, apologized, and offered to help. We reached the service center by 6 pm and was confirmed again by them that bearing had worn out, advised us to not travel. This was the first time in 9 years of ownership, that the car caused us trouble in the middle of the highways. He(GM) asked us to come the next morning (i.e) Sunday. Since the service advisor at Rajamundry was not happy with us making him wait beyond working hours, he didn't communicate with us properly. We went the next day by the words of G.M, then saw mechanic was present and diagnosed the problem within 2-3hrs. The bill came at just Rs.1800 for the whole ruckus it created since the day before.

I know that it's a small issue and it has nothing to do with other mechanical parts, but my grandfather and family were not happy and confident with the vehicle for the rest of the travel, citing the age of the car which may prone to further wear and tear on our way. I even asked the mechanic to check other wheel bearings to ensure fuss-free travel. Though I tried to convince them, they nodded off. Even my dad was reluctant to continue our travel after hearing advice from family and friends. So we decided to return to Chennai the next second we got the car from the service center with a sad note. But I had the determination to prove everyone wrong about the vehicle's potential one day and to reach long distances without any fuss. Because only you know about your vehicle more than anyone else.

Prologue Part2:
5 months later (i.e) dec'21, my dad himself invited us to Kolkata as a family(me, my brother, and my mom) as he couldn't make it to Chennai this time, so that we could celebrate new year'22 at Kolkata. I was overjoyed to hear and suggested to my dad that at least by this time we could travel by roadways as he previously suggested to come by flight. He hesitated for a day citing safety issues (Naxalites & thieves) at Odisha state(PS: My parents are a bit oldskool) and language barriers. Then I clearly explained to him about our travel route, blogs, youtube videos, and our well-planned trip. He said if my mom was confident enough then plan the trip. My mom had no issues and she also immediately gave a green signal to the road trip.

Service Part 2:
Once again gave the vehicle for a general checkup. Oil change due is not necessary for the next 3500kms. So they topped up the oil, checked other parameters, and asked us to do a clutch overhaul because of improper gear shifts and hard clutch which we complained about before. So all replaced and gave us a bill of Rs.15k

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211215_181700.jpg

Clutch Plate

Chennai-Kolkata Part2: "POSITIVE"
DAY 1:

So all set once again for Kolkata hoping no issues prevail during our trip. We started from Chennai at 4.45 am and reached Tada by 6 am. I let my brother drive till Vijayawada as I already know it's going to be neatly laden roads for the upcoming 450 - 500 km. But he seemed a bit drowsy within 70kms of driving so I took over from him and drove for 150kms so that he could take some rest and continue afterward. The roads were as usual great and I enjoyed driving along the sunrise, empty roads, good music, and cruising speeds...phew it's great to think about it even while typing this blog! I don't like to keep the engine's temperature high, so cruising and cold morning helped me a bit to maintain the temperature. We stopped for the breakfast(homemade) at 8 am and gave the vehicle a bit of rest. Then my brother continued from Nellore to almost Vijayawada as he again felt a bit off. I continued and decided to drive the rest of the distance.

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_074722.jpg

Breakfast Halt

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_110513.jpg
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_141133.jpg

Chennai-Vijayawada Highway

Our initial halt was Vizag but planned for Brahmapur( past the Odisha border) if we could arrive at the earliest. We reached Vijayawada by 11.40 am and planned for the second stop( lunch) @ 1 pm. Then stopped by a petrol bunk, had lunch, again home-packed had some brief break, and started our next(i.e) final halt at Vizag as google maps showed us the ETA at 6.30 pm. The roads were fine till some distance(forgot the place) and single-lane ones after that. We hit the Vizag by 7-7.15 pm as traffic builds up badly. Reached the hotel by 8 pm, had dinner, and planned to start the next day at 4 am.

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_131022.jpg

Lunch Halt

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_210132min.jpg

ft. treebo hotels

DAY 2:

Got early and started at 4 am as per the plan. Got confused a bit at the junction as the roads were closed and empty which was not shown on google maps. Then took the Brahmapur bypass and the roads were laid neatly like outer ring ones, had 3 lanes and no vehicles except a few trucks. Out of nowhere, suddenly an intense set of fogs passed by us, which was terrifying at 5 am with no vehicles on the road. It was present for a km or two and disappears, then again comes and disappears. The same was happening for the next 15kms. Zero visibility, no people, no vehicle, and no highway lights which was a bizarre experience at 5'O clock in the morning at an unknown place. For a minute, we even thought that some kind of mob was going to happen to us. Then THWAK! our vehicle goes over a massive pothole and a rough speed breaker at 60kmph. Felt sorry for the vehicle and moved over the highway slowly @ 40-50kmph till I saw some daylight and other vehicles. Then took a stop at 8.30 am at Brahmapur(Odisha) where one of my dad's friend's friends got us food for rest of the day to avoid unnecessary stops at Odisha. He was very kind and even invited us to his house, though we had language issues and are unknown people. The roads were perfect till Brahmapur or so, but after a few km, you have to face some really ugly roads and change your driving style for a while. Because you have a good tarmac for a km, then suddenly a massive pothole and patchwork happening here & there which took a toll on my leg with the clutch. Most of the roads were concrete laid, so don't expect asphalt there. So, till Bhubaneswar, you have to be aware of the roads.

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211227_094245min.jpg

Reached Bhubaneswar at 11.30 am, then went through the afternoon traffic at Bhubaneshwar, and left the city by 12.45 pm. Filled our tummies around 1 pm, and gave a half-hour break to the vehicle. I let my brother drive for 200kms as I was really tired from driving bad roads for straight 4-5hrs. Then saw some highly skilled idiotic drivers in Odisha where if you don't let them overtake, they will get past you by going on opposite roads which were separated by the median. Don't know how opposite vehicles give way to these imbecile drivers. Then we took a random stop at 3.45 pm past Balasore and I continued for rest of the day. Reached Jaleswar(near the Kolkata border) and the day got darker by 5 pm itself. It was a single-lane two-way road with no lights. Opposite vehicles with no hesitation had pass lights continuously which was irritating a bit.

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211227_123709min.jpg
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211227_155025min.jpg

Near Jaleswar

We were late to enter Kolkata city as we roamed here & there for fuel at those remote places. Then took the bypass and mashed the gas pedal to compensate for the lost time for fuel hunt. Finally reached Kolkata around 7.30-8 pm and greeted us to the traffic world of the city. After the stressful traffic, got confused with google maps where we got misdirection the other way on a bridge that got us again to go through traffic and reach our destination by 10 pm.

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211227_222341.jpg
Home-Destination distance

Some parting shots
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211228_155513.jpg
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211228_155505.jpg
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211228_155436.jpg
The Next day after a proper wash!

Expenses:
Fuel cost- Rs.8120 (diesel)
Fuel consumption-87.41 litres
Toll- Rs.2149
Hotel stay(Vijayawada)- Rs.2500
Food- Nil( Homepacked for the first day+ Dad's friend covered us the next day)
Coffee/Tea/Snacks- Rs.500(Approx.)

Fuel Efficiency- 20-22kmpl
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211226_063638.jpg  

Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza-img_20211227_155131min.jpg  

Maxton07 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 10:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Kolkata in a Tata Manza

Congrats on your long road trip!

I'm a regular on this Chennai - Kolkata route, having taken the Nano, Tiago, Nexon and my old Swift along this route. Roads in South Inda are always a pleasure to drive on. Recently the roads have been made even better, particularly the Rajahmundry - Vijaywada section, the Srikakulam - Vishakhapatnam section and Bhubaneswar city exit.

I usually break up the journey into two night halts when coming to Kolkata. Chennai - Vishakhapatnam(1st night halt) and Vishakhapatnam - Balasore(2nd night halt).
The reason is that I do not want to get caught in the huge truck traffic bottleneck entering Kolkata at late night. Balasore - Kolkata is a leisurely 4 hour drive, approximately 250 kms. With a good night's rest at Balasore, at the excellent NOCCI Resort, and a hearty breakfast, I'm in Kolkata by lunchtime.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:53   #3
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Kolkata in a TATA MANZA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Congrats on your long road trip!

I'm a regular on this Chennai - Kolkata route, having taken the Nano, Tiago, Nexon and my old Swift along this route. Roads in South Inda are always a pleasure to drive on. Recently the roads have been made even better, particularly the Rajahmundry - Vijaywada section, the Srikakulam - Vishakhapatnam section and Bhubaneswar city exit.

I usually break up the journey into two night halts when coming to Kolkata. Chennai - Vishakhapatnam(1st night halt) and Vishakhapatnam - Balasore(2nd night halt).
The reason is that I do not want to get caught in the huge truck traffic bottleneck entering Kolkata at late night. Balasore - Kolkata is a leisurely 4 hour drive, approximately 250 kms. With a good night's rest at Balasore, at the excellent NOCCI Resort, and a hearty breakfast, I'm in Kolkata by lunchtime.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Vijayawada- Rajahmundry section was indeed the best road in the entire travel I would say. And of course, I saw your blog on Chennai to Kolkata in the Nano before planning the trip, which I found it to be useful for convincing my parents
Maxton07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:20   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your successful road trip!
I admire your persistence in undertaking the journey after the first bitter episode!
It was a pleasure reading your travelogue.
Wish you a lot of successful and enjoyable journeys in the future.
rrs1951 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 18:06   #5
BHPian

Hello all, I'm planning a road trip from Chennai - Kolkata in 2 weeks in a Hyundai Grand i10. Technically Bangalore - Kolkata, but will halt at Chennai and then head to Kolkata..

Is it going to be very strenuous to take only 2 night halts, or would you recommend 3 night halts after starting early morning from Chennai ? We have 2 senior citizens (who seem to be more youth at heart) and a 2.5 year old who acts like she is 25 already

Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks