Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 23:28   #1
BHPian

Rendezvous with rain at Kallar

I have driven multiple times to Ponmudi, passing the gate bearing the board "Kallar Eco Tourism" every single time, yet somehow, it never aroused my curiosity enough to visit it. Finally, one hot mid April Saturday, I was casually browsing through Google Maps, looking for an evening drive and Kallar again caught my eye. To make things interesting, there was severe rain alert Sunday onwards. Needless to say, exploring a place like Kallar and Meenmutty falls within it during summer with rains accompanying sounded interesting.

On Sunday noon, I started our drive. There was a slight drizzle accompanying us throughout. By the time we approached the hills, rain clouds appeared to get stronger:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00001.jpg

We have to fill up a form with our basic info and get tickets (30 per adult) at the entry gate. We were informed that if there are rains, the guards will evict everyone from the river. There was a dirt track of about a kilometer to get to the parking area. The falls would require walking further, although the bathing spot is right at the parking area.

We began our drive and pretty soon there was a small water crossing:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00002.jpg

Not much water thanks to the summer:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00003.jpg

We continued our drive. Except that it was a dirt track, there was nothing challenging:

The drive was through dense woods:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00004.jpg

Perhaps due to the rain warnings, despite being a Sunday, we had the place almost to ourselves and we could stop mid-drive and spend a few minutes just enjoying the forest:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00004a.jpg

The woods were telling us that we were not alone:

Dirt track? Easy peasy:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00005.jpg

Soon, a little bit more driving through the woods brought us to the first parking ground:

Upon attempting to park there, the security person asked me to drive forward a bit more as four wheelers can be parked closer to the bathing area.

Upon reaching and parking, the drizzle had begun to gain strength and we rushed to spend a few minutes in the river. The river and the surrounding were beautiful and clean:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00006.jpg

We spent about five minutes in the water before the rains arrived, and how:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00007.jpg

Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00008.jpg

Despite the seemingly calm river, there apparently have been 13 deaths in the past, and the guards take no chances. As soon as the rains started, they shooed everyone out of the water. I spoke to a guard, and he kindly let me take a few photographs standing on a high rock mid-stream:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00009.jpg

The rain was raging by now:

The scene felt mystical:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00010.jpg

Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00011.jpg

The rain was unrelenting and I returned to the parking. The guard advised against walking to the waterfall, especially as we had a toddler with us. It would have approached closing time anyway. We decided to return.

Our steed was waiting alone at the parking area:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00012.jpg

We began our return drive. The water crossing had gained noticeably more water now:

Rain accompanied us all the way back home:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-image00013.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the drive and promised ourselves to return sometime after the monsoon to enjoy the Meenmutty Falls as well.

Last edited by darklord : 10th June 2022 at 23:42.
darklord is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 09:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rendezvous with rain at Kallar

Same here.

Everytime would go past it and say to myself, "Next time."

Ironic that I would recommend it to many of my friends and acquaintances with many of their wedding photoshoots took place there, while I haven't set my foot there once.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 08:44   #3
BHPian

Thanks darklord for sharing. This is such an exquisite place. One day I wish to visit this place in an electric G Wagon/Landcruiser or perhaps some 'daanveer' BHPian will lend it to me (looking at you Turbanator).

Looks great for meditation. I can see myself coming here all stressed up and returning back like 'The Enlightened One'.
Excommunicado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 19:00   #4
BHPian

Seems like an amazing place. Thank you for sharing.
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:46   #5
BHPian

India has so many surprises waiting to be explored. One lifetime seems inadequate. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
Atul Kolekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
We began our drive and pretty soon there was a small water crossing:
Attachment 2319041

Not much water thanks to the summer:
Attachment 2319042
This is how it looked after yesterday's rain:
Rendezvous with rain at Kallar-trivandrumtourists.jpg.image.845.440.jpg

Per Malayala Manorama, the stream overflowed and vehicles and tourists got stuck at the other bank:
https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...meenmutti.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks