Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:04   #1
BHPian

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta

It's been a while I wrote a travelogue on the forum, though this is a short one, I thought of writing it, more so for the reason I am going to tell you at the end of this post.

It all started when we had been on a day trip to Kaigal falls in search of a water falls after seeing many images online, but it turned out not so enjoyable because of slippery rocks due to heavy moss grown, which made it really difficult to get in to the place where the water falls.

Kaigal falls
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220212121532.jpg

My daughter was upset of not being able to play in the water and not having a proper access to the falls area due to slippery rocks and so on the way back from Kaigal falls I had to promise her of a trip to Iruppu falls, which I knew will have enough water to quench our thirst of water falls even during summers, given my two earlier bike rides, both during the month of May.

With my daughter's school exams out of the way by the end of March and another plan for the Sunday getting cancelled, made a quick plan on April 9th to drive to Iruppu falls the next day, April 10th being Sunday.

Coming to the drive companion for the day, I had no doubt in taking Jetta over XUV5OO for this fun route with some good roads.

Jetta basking in the sunlight on the way
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220327074739.jpg

While planning for the Iruppu falls drive, I already had a route map in mind and places to cover. Come on, when I am driving 500+ kms in a day, I would definitely try to spread it over the day and have something else, which was Kuruva Island in the Wayanad District Kerala.

Trip details

Kms covered – 538
Route taken - Bangalore - Kanakapura - Mysore ring road - HD Kote - Antharasanthe - Nagarahole tiger reverse (south side entry) - Bavali - Kuruva Island - Kutta - Iruppu Falls - Ponnampet - Gonikoppa - Hunsur - Bangalore
Places visited – Kuruva Island, Iruppu Falls

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-route-map.png

Like in case of any bike rides or drives, my brain alarm wakes me up much before the actual alarm goes off, glad to say, there was no exception this time too

We (me, wife and daughter) set out for our day long journey at 4.50AM sharp, given our home is near Konanakunte cross, it took only few mins for us to be on the Kanakapura road, waving past the Art of Living.

Till the last year the road to Kanakapura was in a very bad shape with lot of pot holes, but recently they have done up the roads and glad to say that the roads are in more than decent shape now and actually good in most of the way. This was a not a surprise for me as I had taken this very route just the previous week on a day drive to BRS Hills with friends.

Somewhere on the Kanakapura road
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410062658.jpg

Jetta 2.0 TDI is a very beautiful machine to be driven on these roads and you won't really need to listen to any songs or anything, but to just drive the Jetta and enjoy its smooth ride, with insane pickup in each of the gears.

While I enjoyed my drive, my wife was listening to her favorite songs with my 8 YO daughter was finishing her quota of the sleep on the rear seat.

Disadvantage of taking Kanakapura road and an early morning drive is that you won't get proper breakfast on this route and without me being aware, my wife had packed few chapatis for a rainy day, and this came in very handy on the way. We stopped for a short break around 8.15 somewhere after Antharasanthe.

At the breakfast break, somewhere after Antharasanthe
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410082324.jpg

We entered the Nagarahole Tiger Reserve at the Udboor Gate at 9 AM and had to stop to make an entry at the forest check post.

Rajiv Gandhi National Park, south part of the Nagarahole Tiger Reserve
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410084821_2.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410090405.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410093054.jpg

Inside the forest area
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410074601.jpg

Drive through the forest was refreshing to say the least with windows down. In my initial planning I had wanted to enter the forest area between 6 to 6.30 AM to spot a few animals, but given the 4 hr journey from Bangalore, it was not practical to leave at 2 AM, so had to do with entering the forest at 9 AM. But it was not a completely bad time to be there, as we spotted lots of deer, once just next to our car in a one feet distance (off course, we closed our windows and didn't disturb them). We also spotted two wild dogs, standing in the middle of the road and it hated our interference. The wild dogs looked very sharp.

Deer
Name:  VID20220410091528_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif
Views: 685
Size:  5.68 MB

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410090946_01.jpg

Wild dog
Name:  VID20220410091823_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress 1.gif
Views: 695
Size:  5.47 MB

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410091824_01.jpg

My daughter was overjoyed seeing these animals in their natural habitat and was she also enjoyed seeing the treetop built to guard.

Treetop
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410093730.jpg

Soon, by 10.10 AM we reached Kuruva island, 254 kms from my home in a comfortable 5 hr 15 mins time with a break.

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410100831.jpg

Kuruva island (Kuruvadweep) is located on the banks of Kabini river in the Wayanad district, a serene place, with a forest surrounded by water. Ferry on bamboo rafting is available to enter the island side, and you can take a walk in the forest area, interested ones could also play in the backwaters of the Kabini river.

Ticket for bamboo rafting, to island
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410102007.jpg

Bamboo rafting
Name:  1494568569_kuruva.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  138.6 KB
PC to respective owner, I missed to click this image, sharing it for representational purpose

Wayanad district map, I have marked the Kuruva Island
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410102906.jpg

When we were there walking, there was some sort of guarding going on, few guards were standing on high planes observing. Speaking with a guard, he said there was an elephant nearby and they were guarding and observing, to avoid it going towards the walking path used by the tourists. The guard showed us the direction of elephant, but we couldn’t spot the big one.

After the long walk on the island and photoshoot, it was time. We also had delicious raw mangoes, pineapples, amla dipped in salt/ spicy water followed by butter milk. Anyone visiting should try these things at the few shops located at the parking space.

It’s a 32 km journey from Kuruva island to Iruppu falls, takes an hours’ time and it was 1.30 PM by the time we reached Iruppu falls. Must say it was the perfect time to experience the waterfalls, refreshes you like magic.

Iruppu falls base
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410133237.jpg

Iruppu falls is located in the Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, in the Kodagu district. The main attractions of Kodagu district are located at the central part of the district and Iruppu falls is at the south end bordering Wayanad District, Kerala.

Bramhagiri Wildlife
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410133921.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410133927.jpg

Once there, we need to walk for about a km climbing steps in between to reach the mighty waterfalls. Seeing the waterfalls from a distance, you are sure to go as fast to reach there.

Iruppu falls from a distance
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410135353.jpg

Though it is summer, there was enough water to stand and enjoy the water falling straight on your head. I had come here twice before; both were bike day rides from Bangalore. I can’t really explain the pleasure of standing down the water stream after you have ridden so far and walked some distance in the hot summer, the water just takes away all your tiredness and calms your body and mind like a magic. I can drive/ ride here just to experience this.

That's the one
Name:  VID20220410140654_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif
Views: 695
Size:  5.95 MB

My daughter was so happy with this kind of experience. What adds to this experience is the way the administration has built an iron ramp there so that you can walk properly and stand right below the stream. Without this ramp, it makes it more difficult, for, you have to climb the rocks.

We repeatedly went four or five times to stand below the stream and my daughter wanted to play some time in the flowing water, it was her day.

We were so fresh after this and spending more than an hour there and climbed down. Yes Café in the parking space served quite a few good dishes and we had Maggi and Chapati, both were good. Mind you, the portions of maggi were sufficient for one and half person.

Maggi......
Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410160306.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-img20220410160303.jpg

It was 4.30 PM when we started from there and we took Ponnampet – Hunsur route.

The roads from Iruppu falls to Ponnampet was very good, it was a forest area (not restricted forest). While we were driving, out of nowhere a big peacock took off from left side to right side of the road and its sudden take off coincided with our passing and though I tried avoiding, it still brushed its legs on the roof and we were worried if it was alright, but we couldn’t spot it as it had already flew a distance.

Rest of the journey was uneventful, save from the still not so good roads of Mysore – Bangalore road, I was really tired driving on this road. Wanted to have dinner at Shivalli Restaurant, Channapatna, but I missed it somehow in the traffic passing and ended up having dinner at Rasta Café at Ramanagara.

Reached home at 11PM with 538 km drive which ended our beautiful day drive.

Parting this with a story of the day written by my daughter, which actually inspired me to write this travelogue

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-ahana-iruppu-falls_1.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-ahana-iruppu-falls_2.jpg

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-ahana-iruppu-falls_3.jpg

See ya...
KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 3rd May 2022 at 12:09.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:35   #2
BANNED

Re: Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta

Nice Travelogue. Please convey my heartiest congratulations to your daughter for such a marvelous writing. All the best for her future endeavors.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Nice Travelogue. Please convey my heartiest congratulations to your daughter for such a marvelous writing. All the best for her future endeavors.
Thanks Jeevan for your nice words . I will convey it to my daughter.

Mid April we did a 5 days trip to Alleppey, it was a group trip, now my daughter is onto write this.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Lovely travelogue man. Reminded me of our trip to Wayanad back in March 2019.

Your daughter wrote it so well man! Cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Kuruva island (Kuruvadweep) is located on the banks of Kabini river in the Wayanad district, a serene place, with a forest surrounded by water. Ferry on bamboo rafting is available to enter the island side
Here's a close-up of the raft:

Summer day drive to Iruppu Falls in a VW Jetta-1.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:44   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Thanks Jeevan for your nice words . I will convey it to my daughter.

Mid April we did a 5 days trip to Alleppey, it was a group trip, now my daughter is onto write this.

KK
Eagerly waiting for her cute wordings on that.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 11:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

That's a neatly written travelogue. I meant, the one that your kid wrote! Good to see the amount of water in summer too.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:30   #7
BHPian

A Buy one get one free on the travelogue. A very cute travelogue by your daughter to add to an amazing travelogue by you. Her writing in particular takes you on a visual treat of how things turned out all through the trip. Very cute!!!
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 12:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Lovely travelogue man. Reminded me of our trip to Wayanad back in March 2019.

Your daughter wrote it so well man! Cute!
Thanks for your nice words. I will convey it to my daughter as well.

Wayanad has its own charm, though I have visited many other places of Kerala, like Idukki, Alleppey, Vagamon, Nelliampathy, I kind of like Wayanad for its distinct charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That's a neatly written travelogue. I meant, the one that your kid wrote! Good to see the amount of water in summer too.
Thanks Raghu for your nice words. Exactly, even for me, I felt what she has written as more lively and written from the heart.

Yes, Iruppu falls will have this much water in summer too! This joins the Cauvery river further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
A Buy one get one free on the travelogue. A very cute travelogue by your daughter to add to an amazing travelogue by you. Her writing in particular takes you on a visual treat of how things turned out all through the trip. Very cute!!!
Thanks atom for your nice words.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks