Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 23:33   #1

A Drive down Memory Lane

My first detailed post was first thought of in 2008, then as time went by, conveniently forgotten. The next urge to post arose in 2018 when the second set of wheels arrived! That urge also got overshadowed by the joys of driving. In 2019 an incident on a road trip to Rajasthan triggered another spark to post but got overwhelmed by the incident and sat through it.

Now one might wonder what has changed now that this post is actually seeing the light of day!

Well friends let me take you back in time when life was easy, traffic was better, and petrol was cheaper (1/3 of today's price).

A little backstory
When I was a kid my parents met with an accident while riding on a motorcycle, my father had a hand fracture, and I landed on the bonnet of the car! Thereafter mode of transport shifted to scooter auto or PTC buses depending upon destination and ease! After some time, we did have a motorcycle (Ind-Suzuki) but then back to scooter till 1996.

Below is my brother on our Allwyn pushpak at the IIT Madras campus.
A Drive down Memory Lane-scan0117.jpg

With such a hard landing I never got to purchase a motorcycle, always prevented by my mother.

Since I never got to own a motorbike and office commute was on company transport never felt the need to get a car. So when I got married the car became a necessity. My wife was from out of Delhi so the urge to go around sightseeing, visiting friends and family arose. Also, as luck would have it
I switched jobs where there was no company transport and the one-way distance was 33 Kms!

So, in the summer of 2007, we did a little car shopping and swung by nearby Maruti showrooms, to choose between an alto(blue color), wagon-r, and an unheard-of name Estilo. Alto was considered too small for station commute and wagon r was ruled out by both as it was common in both the families.
So, of to something different. The car had some nice features like power windows! (LXi), Immobilizer, non- boxy look sort of tallboy design and came in colors never seen before. Nothing else mattered.

So, one evening in June got delivered of this Beige little beauty and off we went to the temple for Puja with Pooja😊. Later that night my brother drove to Gurgaon as I could not be trusted for night driving! I had learned driving but until now I never ventured from the comfort of my locality.
A Drive down Memory Lane-inkedimage022.jpg

So now when it came to driving to the office daily, I called up my good friend Rajan who lived nearby to accompany me till Noida Sector 1. He was a business owner accustomed to reaching the office at 11 AM and here I was taking him to the office at 9:30! thankfully he agreed and this arrangement continued for a month or two until I was confident of driving 66Kms daily. For someone who used to drive a Verna in 2007, a big thank you Rajan for helping me crisscross Delhi, daily via our favorite route of Akbar Road /India Gate. Thus, I became certified in interstate driving.

2007-2009
In this period the car clocked the maximum distance per month, owing to office commute. Weekend drives were nothing as compared to the daily commute. Then as luck would have it, we moved out of Delhi to a locality in NCR. The daily driving was reduced to 24 km only. Which was a good, time and fuel saver. My true first trip outside of NCR was to Ajmer in 2010, which at that time I considered quite an achievement! Thereafter trips to Jaipur, Shimla, Agra was made in the Zen Estilo to the fullest.

Now the car was quite old and the family was looking for a change in terms of better ride quality (a certain stretch on my office route took ages to become a road), more space, etc. So, we started exploring options and on one such occasion went to NOIDA for Showroom hopping from Skoda (Rapid) to Maruti (Ciaz). You know when you visit a Maruti showroom just after having a test drive of a Skoda, the build quality simply stands out to everyone. In excitement, I accidentally locked my keys inside the car outside the Skoda showroom in NOIDA!

While exploring options, my wife and I had been eyeing the Ford EcoSport for quite some time but there was a big problem. My mother was unable to board it due to knee issues. On one occasion we had the test drive at home where we went with a plastic stool to understand the difficulty in boarding. The test drive was on the Eco-boost petrol engine, the discomfort in ingress and egress was quite apparent. The decision was postponed.

Somehow mother got convinced of getting TKR (Total Knee Replacement) done, so in autumn of 2016 the first operation was done successfully, and then in December, the second operation was done. Somehow time went by and the topic of cars did not crop up regularly for reasons now quite evident in the family.

The car change started becoming urgent, the ride quality had fallen despite changing shock absorbers. The only thing that remained unchanged was the seats! In March 2017 took a test drive of Honda WRV but did not find it impressive.

Challenges in buying a car
1. Type
2. Brand
3. Gadget list
4. Budget
5. What the heart wants! And what the spouse wants!
In the end, the only thing that mattered was the last point.

So when towards the end of 2017 Ford launched the facelift model of EcoSport we were overjoyed.

We planned to visit the showroom only when the display cars had arrived in Jan 2018. We did not take a test drive, we simply asked mom to get in and check the comfort. That was all that we wanted to check.
The blue and brown colors were enticing but the Sales Associate (SA) discouraged us saying
most bookings are for these colors only. So, in the first week of March, we booked the petrol titanium moondust silver. After a week I was informed, the car was getting delayed by several weeks. With a heavy heart I asked the SA to cancel the booking, he offered me a titanium diesel for an extra 50K, with the assurance that the car would be registered for 15 years (at that time there was little clarity on this rule). So finally on 31st March we landed at the showroom for inspection and took delivery.
Below image, different cars different temples, and India gate

A Drive down Memory Lane-inkedimage022collage.jpg

Within four months of buying the car, I changed job and now the total daily- driving distance came to 10 Kilometers. At one point I got tempted to sell and go in for company leased vehicle, (of course petrol) but in the end, did not as the big question was which car would I buy.

So, the saga of weekend drives in 2018 to Murthal, Gurgaon, Karnal, Greater Noida, and many other places started. In June 2018 we were planning a trip to Himachal (Ghaziabad -Chandigarh- Dharamshala - Mcleodganj-Palampur-Ghaziabad). The trip was done in a luxury tempo traveler thus missing on the drive in the hills. But I must say traveling with extended family in a single vehicle is in itself a different experience. The only limiting factor is the speed which gets capped at 60Kmph, even on the Eastern Peripheral Expressway.

March 2019 Rajasthan Trip
Coming from past experience in all my road trips my wife started carrying the second key in her handbag as backup!
With Udaipur on our minds for quite some time, a road trip was called for. So, in March 2019 we chalked out a plan to drive via Gurgaon > Ajmer > Rajsamand > Nathdwara > Udaipur. With a stay at Udaipur, we intended to explore all places from here. Day 1 was sightseeing in the city, the city palace the drive around the lake, visit the local market for shopping and food. On day 2 we went to Nathdwara and came back. The next day after breakfast we started for Ranakpur and Kumbhalgarh. The drive to Ranakpur was smooth until an hour or so when you turn into a village road. In the hope that the road might improve we went on till Ranakpur. The sight of these temples in the midst of nowhere is simply astounding. I felt this white wonder temple is much better than the other white monument. The mobile network is very patchy, assume you will not be getting it. You will get practically nothing to eat here, except for a basic Jain meal.

After spending around 2 hours here we moved on to Kumbhalgarh. This part of the journey was quite dramatic and eventful. After around 30 minutes or so the car started making a loud noise and dropped speed as if someone was dragging the car from underneath. We stopped and checked for any visible signs of damage or so but could not find any. We opened the bonnet to figure out if anything was visible there, but no luck. With great difficulty, we drove the car in second gear for I think 10 kilometers till Kumbhalgarh fort. We had hoped it might be a small town like Jaisalmer!
On reaching there we were shocked. I called up my ford dealer contact he asked me to call the ford service central number, after a few minutes I was connected and asked to provide vehicle details, etc. I have then assured a pickup truck for car and cab to take us back to our hotel in Udaipur city( approx. 90 km). We patiently waited for around 2 hours for the tow truck to reach us. In the meanwhile, we climbed up the steep fort completed the sightseeing, and came down waiting for the truck and cab. The tow truck had some problems in backing up the narrow gate of the fort, but he was quite cooperative.
A Drive down Memory Lane-inkedimg_20190306_173633.jpg

The car was loaded on the truck, with lots of onlookers asking what happened. Around 6 PM the cab driver contacted us and asked for our exact location he arrived by 6:30 PM. Except for the shopkeeper, there were few people. The light and sound show was at 7 PM so the crowds had not come as yet. The return journey in the cab was quite tiring as we were shocked as to what happened to our car and were equally tired from the steep climb at the fort and the long day. The car reached the ford workshop in Udaipur around 10 PM and we were in the hotel by 9 PM.

The next day we received a call from the ford workshop to visit them. We booked an uber (got Nano) and reached in about 25 mins. It was a large dealer cum workshop, when we introduced ourselves, we were taken to the bay and saw lots of people around our car. They hoisted the car on the jack and checked for any damages and they couldn’t find any. Then I was told about the problem, one of the engine mountings had broken away! I could not believe it at first then they explained how severe it was. The model being new, they did not have the full spare parts for it, least of all engine mounting. The nearest dealer who had it was two days away. On explaining my position that I was a tourist, they asked me to wait in their lounge where we anxiously waited while they clicked images and sent them over to Ford Chennai. They received approval to take out the engine mounting from a new car standing in their showroom. I was assured the car would be delivered by late evening, serviced as well.

Meanwhile, we went about exploring other parts of the city had good lunch at Chappan bhog. In the evening the car was test-driven to my satisfaction and delivered. With no further plans, we drove back to Ghaziabad with no further detours. After coming back I was contacted by ford and given a free checkup again at the nearest ford center of my choice. The checkup did not reveal anything damaging or worthy of concern.

March 2021 - Road journey to Bhopal
All these years we had been planning a long-distance road trip in the plains. In the past, we had planned about going to Bhopal but by reading some of the travelogues on this forum we never had the appetite to go for one. Thankfully by the end of 2020, I read somewhere about the roads getting better. So with some help from relatives, I checked on various sections of the journey and concluded that things had improved quite a lot. So, on 28th Feb 2021, we embarked on this over 700 KM journey hoping to be home in 12 hours. We drove from Ghaziabad to Agra via Yamuna Expressway and from there the usual route to Gwalior. The route from Agra to Gwalior is simply not worthy of calling a national highway. From Gwalior we took Shivpuri > Guna > Biaora > Narsinghgadh > Bairagarh > Bhopal. The road from Gwalior onwards is simply marvelous the kind of roads we saw in Ajmer and Udaipur trips. This trip was quite a memorable one during which we also went to Sanchi which is at a short distance of 50 km (one way). The roads are okay on which you can drive comfortably up to 80 Kmph.

Some self-explanatory photos from this trip are as under:

A Drive down Memory Lane-img_20210306_114506.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-img_20210306_085601.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-img_20210306_071548.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-img_20210303_073455.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-img_20210303_073458.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210306_102010.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210303_120753.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210303_103756.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210303_103736.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210303_094446.jpg

A Drive down Memory Lane-20210301_104730.jpg

Annus horribilis
2021 has been a very bitter year, to say the least. The trip to Bhopal was the last that we had. In May, my wife got infected with COVID and after a prolonged fight succumbed.

Happy Fifteenth Pooja!
See you on the other side.

Dear reader,
If you have come this far, thank you for your patience in reading my ramblings.
estilo is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 08:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: A Drive down Memory Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilo View Post
Now one might wonder what has changed now that this post is actually seeing the light of day!
I was wondering and how I hoped it didn't conclude the way it did. Sorry for your loss.

During the second wave lot of things went right for us to come out of it alive and I am humbled that we did but not unscathed. We lost folks we shouldn't have and hope we never face it again.

Since your trips occupy a significant portion of your memories, like any BHPian/enthusiast, please continue exploring at a time and pace of your liking.

Wish you well
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 09:55   #3
BHPian

re: A Drive down Memory Lane

@estilo - sincere condolences for your loss though no words can ease the pain. Time only can heal this if at all.

It is so tough to think that two years ago, the world was such a different place. Over the multiple COVID19 waves, so many have had to endure so much suffering and unexpected loss of family members. It is only grace that though I had so many in the family affected we were mercifully spared of any major complications.

I wish in time you are able to resume your travels. Please be brave and stay strong. Prayers and thoughts 🙏 🙏
vijaykr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Drive down Memory Lane

A beautiful & touching story of your travels and driving spanning over 15 years, with a deeply heart-breaking end. I am so sorry to learn of your wife passing due to the second wave of Covid-19. May God give you the strength to cope and recover from the pain. Hope you resume your travels, which should have a cathartic effect on the sense of loss.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

My deepest heartfelt condolences on the loss of your wife. Very sorry to hear of her untimely demise. May her soul rest in peace. May God give your family and you strength in your hour of bereavement.

Yours prayerfully,
V.Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 23:37   #6
BHPian

I am deeply pained to read about your wife. Loss of a loved one is never easy. Heartfelt condolences, and may God bless her soul. Covid has been life-changing for so many out there. I hope this is the last of the many waves, we've had enough.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 21:01   #7
BHPian

Very nicely penned even though it makes me swallow hard reading about how 2021 has been for you.

Wishing you get the best in your explorations.
megazoid is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
So, one evening in June got delivered of this Beige little beauty and off we went to the temple for Puja with Pooja.
In May, my wife got infected with COVID and after a prolonged fight succumbed.

Happy Fifteenth Pooja!
See you on the other side.
I found it relatable when you said "Puja with Pooja" because that is also the name of my wife and I keep making this joke that she doesn't find funny. Being newly married, I think she will take some time to understand my sense of humor.

But never did I think that your post will end the way it did. Coincidentally, my wife is also infected as I write this, but has been doing well so far (fingers crossed).

Wishing both of you a happy 15th and may you cherish the lovely memories.
Researcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:39   #9
BHPian

Brave of you to go back in time and write a lovey writeup. Sad to see it end this way and my heartfelt condolences on your personal. May it inspire you to take up more trips and explore this world.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Dear Estilo, I salute you for having the heart to write down about your car journeys which somehow postponed till now when such untimely tragedy struck you. Hope this recollection of the times you two had together, may give you solace. Thanks for sharing them with us. This forum is there with you at every step of yours.

regards
fawad0222 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coming from past experience in all my road trips my wife started carrying the second key in her handbag as backup!
Thirteen years of marriage and my wife still does this too! Not just on road trips, but anytime I'm driving the car because I used to be (in)famous in the family for locking the keys inside.

estilo, I don't know what to say, I am so sorry for your loss.

But thank you for sharing the memories of your road trips with your wonderful, amazing partner. And for the reminder to cherish the time that we have with our loved ones.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:07   #12
BHPian

Can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you to live through all those memories of your trips with your wife when she is no longer with you.

So sorry for your loss.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 17:07   #13
BHPian

At first, my brain did not want to believe the last section of this blog, was not prepared for such a shock reading down the blog at the end. May you and your family have the strength to overcome this enormous loss!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 31st January 2022 at 17:08.
Old 31st January 2022, 20:30   #14

Reading your experience from the Rajasthan trip, I truly felt your agony of having to deal with the unanticipated issue of a broken engine mounting on an almost new car especially with the family having to suffer as well, but again the out of the way efforts by the ford team was commendable; and as I flipped to the annus horribilis section, I had to reread for my brain to register!

It must have been heart wrenching as you walked down memory lanes while writing this piece!

May Lord grant you strength to sail through this phase and wish you good health. Please continue to drive and post your travelogues!
Old 31st January 2022, 22:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@estilo, please accept our heartfelt condolences on losing your dear one. Honestly, I was about to compliment you about the nicely written post, but at the end where you shared about your wife, I could not believe it - read it 2-3 times before realising it. I do hope you two have shared a life-time's worth of happy memories to carry you on thru this journey of life.

Stay safe !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks