Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 00:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kalimpong in a Duster AWD with an Extra Passenger

Bravo PAPA and MUMMA

A great trip and a great travelogue. Travelling with an infant am sure is no joke and both of did that in style and enjoyed it. Kudos to you both.

Looking forward to more such trips and travelogues.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 03:46   #17
BHPian

Went there in April of 2019, stayed at the same hotel too. Was a wonderful place, you guys are lucky to be so close to Sikkim

Mr.K
Kalimpong in a Duster AWD with an Extra Passenger-img20190420wa0000.jpg
Gamerk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
Nice travelogue and fantastic pictures as usual. Kabir seems to have taken to the drives on the hills like a pro. Hulk always looks best in its natural habitat.
Thanks a lot Burn_out !! Kabir really enjoyed the time in hills.

Quote:
I was supposed to travel to Delo this Sunday but due to the prevailing weather conditions and the closure of Sevoke route to Kalimpong, decided to postpone for a few weeks.
Road conditions make or break a holiday. Better to wait it out.

Quote:
Thanks to Abhi da’s advice and your previous TL, I had booked my stay at the Yuru retreat. Hoping I will get a glimpse of the mountains and Kanchenjunga once the clouds clear.
If the clouds are clear you might get to see the view from your room. Don't forget to ask for the valley facing rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Wow , the "Chalk in Hand Or Haate Khori" ceremony as we say in this part of the country seem to have started really early for little Kabir ! He seems to be enjoying it like a pro , you are shortly going to have tough competition for that driver's seat Wish the three of you countless miles of happy driving.
Thanks lot for your kind works Angshuman Da. It was actually Haate Khori of trips for Kabir. I will be glad to share my driving duties with him when the time comes.

Quote:
Kalimpong is beautiful and Yuru is amazing. Thanks to your advise , we really enjoyed every bit of our stay there.
Yes, it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Nice title .. "Extra Passenger"

Congratulation to Kabir for his first road trip.

PapaBravo Da, I am just thinking about the day when you will be the passenger and Kabir will hijack the driver seat .
Thanks a lot PZ. I am sure he will be on that seat soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Bravo PAPA and MUMMA

A great trip and a great travelogue. Travelling with an infant am sure is no joke and both of did that in style and enjoyed it. Kudos to you both.

Looking forward to more such trips and travelogues.
Thanks a ton SB. It was difficult yet enjoyable.
Old 20th August 2021, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
We started around midnight thinking that Kabir would sleep through most of the journey. Kabir had different plans
Yeah this christens Kabir as a traveller-for-life. My parents tell me how as a one-year-old they took me to Manali and Rohtang. Funnily enough, I would cry almost every evening. Contrary to what my parents initially thought was my discomfort for travel, they realised within two days that I cried every time I was taken back to the hotel. The way to keep me silent and entertained was to keep me going on the highway. Not much has changed since!

A very well-written travelogue. The sunshine, skies and greeneries are all delectable.. and inspiring
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:18   #20
BHPian

Great write-up and beautiful pictures. Kalimpong added to bucket-list and will try for a road trip there next year.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:29   #21
BHPian

Congratulations Papabravo and Mamabravo!!
Parenthood is fun! Sharing it from my experience, with time you will forget about the sleepless nights and stressed out drives with the kiddo. You will only remember the smile and fun moments with him.

So, brother go ahead and have a blessed parenthood.

Congratulations to Kabir as well on his first trip to the Himalayas.

Considering in the last three years many of our Kolkata team members have become new parents, we should have a meet for the kids to know each other. Its a long journey ahead for them to go forward under umbrella of friendship.

Again your travelogue is awesome as always, reminded me of my Drive to Bhutan with my "extra passenger" when he was just 3 months old.
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Lovely scribble PapaBravo!
Reminded us of our trips with our kiddo' from the time she was 6 months old! Now at 6years she refuses to go on a vacation by anything else other than a road trip. The seeds of a future Bhp-i'an has been sown!

Good to see good ole Elgin Silver Oaks once again. Elgin and the Himalayan Hotel, (now Mayfair Kalimpong, the decor of which I somehow don't like, the way they have "overdone" things), were our favourite haunts till Yuru stole our heart with its panoramic views 5 years back.

Somehow I like Kalimpong very much, despite it not having a malls and fancy stores a la Darjeeling, Shimla, Mussoorie etc
Momo's at Gompu's, the cheese at Larky's, the evening prayer service and ambience at Graham's Homes' church: all are a quiet reminder to the simplest ways of enjoying life.

Take care and drive safe!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 15:58   #23
BHPian

Lovely writeup PapaBravo. Both of you parents are doing the right thing by introducing junior to the wonders of road travel at a very early age. You will be surprised that junior requires very little, just a bit of milk, some entertainment and of course very little space. In addition, it is the time of life when mobiles, video games have no meaning.
Our son, now all of 30, was introduced to the rigors of car travel way back in 1991. He would be asleep in the back seat when we started the journey before dawn, would wake up and we would stop for a toilet break somewhere convenient on the road side.
Now he is the car enthusiast, driving his vehicle all weekends.
Well done and keep up the momentum.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:28   #24
BHPian

Lovely write up Pawan da
Too good pictures.
Looking forward to see the BMW in Himalayas soon.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow, super travelogue PapaBravo
It's been 7 years that we visited Darjeeling & Kalimpong! Your travelogue just refreshed a whole lot of memories for us. Thanks for this. Need to plan again soon.

Loved the shot of your Duster by the river side.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
Yeah this christens Kabir as a traveller-for-life. My parents tell me how as a one-year-old they took me to Manali and Rohtang. Funnily enough, I would cry almost every evening. Contrary to what my parents initially thought was my discomfort for travel, they realised within two days that I cried every time I was taken back to the hotel. The way to keep me silent and entertained was to keep me going on the highway. Not much has changed since!
Haha. That's quite a story .

Quote:
A very well-written travelogue. The sunshine, skies and greeneries are all delectable.. and inspiring
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Great write-up and beautiful pictures. Kalimpong added to bucket-list and will try for a road trip there next year.
Thanks AnandB. Let me know when you plan, can share notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Congratulations Papabravo and Mamabravo!!
Parenthood is fun! Sharing it from my experience, with time you will forget about the sleepless nights and stressed out drives with the kiddo. You will only remember the smile and fun moments with him.
Thanks Arun for the kind words.

Quote:
Congratulations to Kabir as well on his first trip to the Himalayas.
Kabir says 'Thanks Uncle' !!

Quote:
Considering in the last three years many of our Kolkata team members have become new parents, we should have a meet for the kids to know each other. Its a long journey ahead for them to go forward under umbrella of friendship.
Let's plan.
Quote:
Again your travelogue is awesome as always, reminded me of my Drive to Bhutan with my "extra passenger" when he was just 3 months old.
Thanks Buddy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Lovely scribble PapaBravo!
Reminded us of our trips with our kiddo' from the time she was 6 months old! Now at 6years she refuses to go on a vacation by anything else other than a road trip. The seeds of a future Bhp-i'an has been sown!
Thanks a lot arjab. Hope Kabir develops the same liking.

Quote:
Good to see good ole Elgin Silver Oaks once again. Elgin and the Himalayan Hotel, (now Mayfair Kalimpong, the decor of which I somehow don't like, the way they have "overdone" things), were our favourite haunts till Yuru stole our heart with its panoramic views 5 years back.
This was our first time in Elgin, Leon's place or Yuru have been our go to places in most trips. And yes, Mayfair deco is a bit gaudy.

Quote:
Somehow I like Kalimpong very much, despite it not having a malls and fancy stores a la Darjeeling, Shimla, Mussoorie etc
Same here. Kalimpong has different charm. Culturally it is more closer to Sikkim than NB. Also, you don't get bad jams other popular tourist spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Lovely writeup PapaBravo. Both of you parents are doing the right thing by introducing junior to the wonders of road travel at a very early age. You will be surprised that junior requires very little, just a bit of milk, some entertainment and of course very little space. In addition, it is the time of life when mobiles, video games have no meaning.
Our son, now all of 30, was introduced to the rigors of car travel way back in 1991. He would be asleep in the back seat when we started the journey before dawn, would wake up and we would stop for a toilet break somewhere convenient on the road side.
Now he is the car enthusiast, driving his vehicle all weekends.
Well done and keep up the momentum.
Thank you so much sir for the kind words. Means a lot coming from experienced people like you. We try our best to instill more outdoor affinity than the screen. Time will only tell how that pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Lovely write up Pawan da
Too good pictures.
Looking forward to see the BMW in Himalayas soon.
Thanks SVK. Hopefully that will happen soon. Till than Ayodhya Hills will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Wow, super travelogue PapaBravo
It's been 7 years that we visited Darjeeling & Kalimpong! Your travelogue just refreshed a whole lot of memories for us. Thanks for this. Need to plan again soon.

Loved the shot of your Duster by the river side.
Thanks a lot JoshMachine !!

Cheers ,
Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Loved this picture - this is where the Duster AWD belongs (as long as we are carrying some injectors )

Nicely written travelogue. Rated it 5 stars.

I really regret not being part of this trip, but hats of to you and Meghna for braving the journey. I could probably never even have the courage of even planning a night long drive to the mountains with a kid in such road conditions!

The Elgin looks elegant with exquisite views, it will remain at the top of the list for future visits to Kalimpong. But this trip will remain special, not only because it was Kabir's first proper road trip, but also for the fact that you could see the mighty K so clearly from Bagdogra, an effect of the reduced pollutions due to lockdown, a sight that will remain a rarity.
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:55   #28
BHPian

An inspiring TL where there is beautiful pictures, off-roading and river crossing adventure of the Papa and also the adventure and accomplishment of the Mumma handling the toddler all through. When ours was 8 months old, maximum I could venture was to Taki.

A lot of people would think twice before taking a plunge into such an endeavor. But that is what BHPians do, set examples for others, hats off to both of you.

Really enjoyed the pictures and the account, and like Samba said, congratulations on the X1 and hope we get to see that too in the Himalayas soon. Rated 5 stars.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Lovely writeup PapaBravo, beautiful pictures and congratulations on your maiden voyage with Kabir. I am sure there will be many more to come and Kabir will become an avid traveller like you!

The Duster looks right at home in that river crossing picture!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Nicely written travelogue. Rated it 5 stars.

------SNIP---------

But this trip will remain special, not only because it was Kabir's first proper road trip, but also for the fact that you could see the mighty K so clearly from Bagdogra, an effect of the reduced pollutions due to lockdown, a sight that will remain a rarity.
Thank you sir for the nice comments.

Quote:
Loved this picture - this is where the Duster AWD belongs (as long as we are carrying some injectors )
The key to enjoy these trips is to ignore the issues unless your car starts sounding like a Tata Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
An inspiring TL where there is beautiful pictures, off-roading and river crossing adventure of the Papa and also the adventure and accomplishment of the Mumma handling the toddler all through. When ours was 8 months old, maximum I could venture was to Taki.

A lot of people would think twice before taking a plunge into such an endeavor. But that is what BHPians do, set examples for others, hats off to both of you.
Thanks you so much haisaikat. . It was indeed a bit tough but we managed to sail through.
Quote:
Really enjoyed the pictures and the account, and like Samba said, congratulations on the X1 and hope we get to see that too in the Himalayas soon. Rated 5 stars.
Thank you. Hope the X1 sees Himalayas very soon. We were waiting for the monsoons to get over since we do not have very fond memories of travelling to Himalayas in monsoons, especially the Kol-Sil stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Lovely writeup PapaBravo, beautiful pictures and congratulations on your maiden voyage with Kabir. I am sure there will be many more to come and Kabir will become an avid traveller like you!

The Duster looks right at home in that river crossing picture!
Thank you. Duster felt completely at home while crossing that river.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks