Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 00:38   #1
BHPian

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres

Tomorrow I will be going on a trip that should cover about 1500 km or more.

I plan to drive about 150 km of motorways and then turn off the main roads on to the back roads through a lake district and then over the mountains. This way I can avoid much of the holiday traffic. I just hope nobody thinks like me.

I will be meeting a friend along the way and drive together in 2 cars. He has a car like mine but is a 1999 camper with a high roof.

I will be having a pet tarantula spider with me. Someone in facebook asked if I could deliver it to someone in Trondheim.

We will finally end up at his place in Trondheim where is has a dream of a DIY workshop with lift and tyre and balancing machine. There I wil fit 2 new tyres and rustproof my car with Fluid Film. I will also fix a few bits and pieces on my car.

I might pick up a new battery while there. He has a 50% discount on batteries and tyres so this trip will be almost for free for me.

His car has a kitchen,toilet and seating and sleeping space for 4.
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-california.jpg

My electric scooter and blankets are in place. I use the scooter to move around after I park the car.
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-scooter.jpg

Cooled down my fridge/freezer. It contains very little food and lots of water.
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-fridge.jpg

The first evening we camped out by a lake.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-bileriskogen.jpg

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-femund.jpg

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-steinfemund.jpg

The next day we drove towards Trondheim and stayed for a few days. While there I visited the grave on my best friends of 40 years. Both him and his wife were killed in a head on in 2016.They were buckled up on the back seat of a Toyota RAV. All front seat passengers in both cars survived. Autopsies showed that both of them died of internal injuries. There were no visible injuries.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-oddhilde.jpeg

It was raining and my friend my wanted to chase the sun and I did not want to so we parted ways. I drove south and he drove north. I was the lucky one here and got all the sunshine and I headed for home.

I drove through a moose infested district, an area that contains 30% of all the moose in the country. About 1000 of these get killed by vehicles every year. In total about 8000 including reindeer, antelope and mouse deer. The stretch of road is about 300 km. I have read of 7 moose being killed in an hour.

Very tiring to drive there as the road is not fenced and I keep scanning my eyes for movement of animals. I saw only one.

This silver moose has been built as a reminder to motorists to be careful and take a break. This is the world largest moose

A short timelapse of the moose.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-storelgenveien.jpg

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-storelgen-1.jpg

The horns of the moose killed are displayed on trees as a reminder of the dangers lurking behind the trees along the whole stretch of road.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-gevir.jpg

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-gevirmedbil.jpg

I drove a total of 1800 kilometers

Here is my friends DIY workshop. He lets too many people borrow this and they leave all the junk behind and dont clean up after use.Just the number of old tyres tell a tale.

I replaced 2 tyres there. I got the Nokian Hakka C2 with very little rolling resistance and very quiet too. The sidewalls are of Aramid that is used in bulletproof vests.

The EU markings are required by law on all tyres and electrical equipment.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-eumerking.jpg

The wear indicator. As the numbers wear out I can see the amount of threads left on the tyre

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-sliteindikator.jpg

Removing the old tyre
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-dekkmontering.jpg

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-felg.jpg

All done.
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-dekkmontert.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-aramid.jpg  

Last edited by Indian2003 : 19th June 2021 at 19:24. Reason: Just returned from my 1800 km trip
Indian2003 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 09:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres

Enjoy, sounds like fun. We are off on a similar trip, distance, rural roads, but we are heading for France, next week.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 13:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!

Will go to our homepage in this coming week
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:02   #4
BHPian

You really write well. This was a short sweet write up. Liked your car plate.

Did you go for the new tire with aramid sidewall due to the car weight? Or is it because of some other reason? Never knew ties have an option like this too. I’m sure this would’ve been an expensive fit.
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Did you go for the new tire with aramid sidewall due to the car weight? Or is it because of some other reason? Never knew ties have an option like this too. I’m sure this would’ve been an expensive fit.
My old 4-ply tyres were the Hankook Kinergy. Even with 3,6 mm of threads, I was getting nasty surprises in rainy weather. I have never driven on tyres that aquaplaned as much as the Hankook and they were ony half worn.

Nokian Tyres have Aramid sidewalls on several of their tyres. This particular 6-ply tyre is made for cargo vehicles and made to take a beating. Their tyres for the SUV and electric vehicles have Aramid sidewalls.

My 6-ply snow tyres too are from Nokian with Aramid sidewalls.

I paid less for these tyres in one of the worlds most expensive countries than what you pay in India. I got a 50% discount and paid 195 euros for both. That should be 17,200 INR for 2 premium tyres.

Fitting to the rim was not included and since my friend has a machine, I did it myself.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 23:51   #6
BHPian

Nice DIY site.

I came across this site that shows you all you need to know and understand about your car. It contains tips in checking up your car and doing simple repairs and maintenance.
Check it out.

https://despairrepair.com/?fbclid=Iw...q9HFxsgf44POIs
Indian2003 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:11   #7
BHPian

This morning on the way to my first pick up I came across a moose that was hit by a vehicle. This was a big one weighing about 500 kilos.
The wild life authorities had already arrived and shot the moose by the time I arrived.

All injured wild animals are euthanized to prevent suffering.

1800 km drive, camping, moose, a DIY workshop & new tyres-9dd5b67de1d545cb8fb584c5abbd685c.jpeg
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks