Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 13:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator

Recently I had the opportunity to visit the Southern most Island in Maldives.

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-gearth1.jpg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-gmaps1.jpg

Situated around 40 Nautical Miles south of the Equator, I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary there. Of course, it was almost at the equator in Southern Hemisphere; so that fancy factor was there. The Island also had the Southern most point of Maldives. So, it had its own claim to fame amongst Maldivians; just akin to what we think of Indira Point in India.

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-img_20201228_142249.jpg

A little Background of the Atoll and Addu city

Source:- Wikipedia
Quote:
Addu Atoll, also known as Seenu Atoll, is the southernmost atoll of the Maldives. Addu Atoll, together with Fuvahmulah, extend the Maldives into the Southern Hemisphere. Addu Atoll is located 540 km south of Malé, the country's capital. Addu City is one of the only three cities of the Maldives. In addition to the areas that are included as a part of Addu City, Addu Atoll has a number of other inhabited and uninhabited islands, including the island of Gan, where Gan International Airport is located.
Quote:
During the Second World War Addu Atoll was the site of a secret Royal Navy base called HMS Haitan, to take advantage of the deep anchorage and sheltered natural harbour there. Oil tanks and storage facilities were built on Gan island, together with an airstrip and a flying boat base. The base remained unknown to the Axis throughout the early years of the war. In 1957 the base was transferred to the Royal Air Force as RAF Gan, before being closed down in 1975. The island is now the site of Gan International Airport.
A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-addoo-atoll.jpg

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 30th January 2021 at 11:55.
dhanushmenon is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 10:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator

Loitering around the Island aimlessly, it was just by chance that I landed upon this War Memorial. From afar, it was an unassuming structure, yet decently maintained.

Only when I walked in, did I realise that this was made to commemorate Indian soldiers who fought for British forces during WW II. Wow! I was really rendered speechless!

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-1.jpg

At Addu Atoll, the Southern most Island of Maldives, 40 miles into the Southern Hemisphere, almost at the middle of nowhere; there lies a war memorial for Indian Soldiers!

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-2.jpg

This war memorial was built by Britishers commemorating the supreme sacrifice by the Indian soldiers who fought for England during WW II.

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-img_20201228_145548.jpg

The front face reads: "Those commemorated here, died in the service of their country. The mortal remains of some were committed to fire and others lie buried elsewhere on Addu Atoll"

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-close-view-commemoration.jpg

Names of all soldiers who laid down their life is etched in the three faces of the marble facade.

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-img20201228wa0063.jpg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-photo_20210124_100023.jpg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-photo_20210124_100304.jpg

Was really touched to see the respect and honour bestowed by British on even Indian soldiers who fought for them and fallen in far off lands. That too, recognition at a far flung Island, almost in the middle of nowhere.

I would fail if I do not mention the respect for Maldivian government and administration to have honoured and retained this edifice of remembrance. For them, this war memorial in their soil, was created by a foreign nation in honour of some other foreign soldiers! Yet, they chose to honour those brave men and retained a piece of history.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 30th January 2021 at 12:07.
dhanushmenon is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 04:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 07:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for sharing this unique piece of history. It is to the credit of the liberalness of the Maldivian Govt and people that they respect and look after a foreign shrine set up by a colonial power dedicated to foreign soldiers. But for the trouble you have taken most of us would never have known of this.

Jai Hind.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, this is some way to honour the soldiers who fought gallantly- combat and non-combatant alike. It’s nice to know that a memorial also exists in Maldives. Is it also maintained by CWGC-the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ??

I have been to few of the war cemeteries located in India and maintained by CWGC. We have one in Calcutta as well and is neatly maintained in Bhowanipore. The last one I visited is located in Imphal. Majority of plaques are of Indian soldier’s who died during World War II and many were non-combatant ones. Quite interesting similarities with the one in Maldives.

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-9ffea0888fb7495c855661734654ad8d.jpeg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-12fa7eeeeb694ca3a661837ec6c47b65.jpeg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-28c18d88c23e444a86ce053075299a77.jpeg

A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator-a7ce15a0fdaf4dca8d233b97e746272a.jpeg

Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful piece of history.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 31st January 2021 at 08:35.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Thank you for sharing this unique piece of history. It is to the credit of the liberalness of the Maldivian Govt and people that they respect and look after a foreign shrine set up by a colonial power dedicated to foreign soldiers. But for the trouble you have taken most of us would never have known of this.

Jai Hind.
It was in a faraway land; a piece of recognition to Indian soldiers. When I saw it, I felt it deserved more recognition and hence this short thread sir. The pleasure is entirely mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Wow, this is some way to honour the soldiers who fought gallantly- combat and non-combatant alike. It’s nice to know that a memorial also exists in Maldives. Is it also maintained by CWGC-the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ??
I have been to few of the war cemeteries located in India and maintained by CWGC. We have one in Calcutta as well and is neatly maintained in Bhowanipore. The last one I visited is located in Imphal.
Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful piece of history.
Thanks for the info on war cemetery in India. I wasn't aware any existed.
However, there's a difference between a "War cemetery" and "War memorial".

Building a memorial is not the same as making a cemetery.
Cemetery is a place where you bury people. Being a war cemetery, it has its own significance and stories of valour attached to it.
A War memorial is a structure/ edifice/ plaque that is constructed in acknowledgement of courage and valour. It is an acknowledgement that they died after a sacrifice worth marking permanently as a memory for future generations.
dhanushmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 12:28   #7
BHPian

I will be brutally honest here and spout an unpopular opinion.

These braves made the supreme sacrifice fighting for flag and country. For this they totally deserve respect. But I find it impossible to honour them for it. The flag and country they fought for is not my flag and country.
My honour is reserved for Lions like Bhagat Singh or Bagha Jatin or Subhash Babu and numerous others, who fought on my side.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

These braves made the supreme sacrifice fighting for flag and country. For this they totally deserve respect. But I find it impossible to honour them for it. The flag and country they fought for is not my flag and country.
My honour is reserved for Lions like Bhagat Singh or Bagha Jatin or Subhash Babu and numerous others, who fought on my side.
To each, his own I guess. My intention of the thread was not to justify the oppressive rule of British. The thread is a mark of respect to the fallen soldiers; the people who raised a memorial for them and the government who still retains and maintains this memorial of foreigners.

To each, his own.
dhanushmenon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

My sister has been doing a lot of research on the role of Indian soldiers during World War 2

https://www.annumatthew.com/gallery/unremembered/

https://indianexpress.com/article/li...tthew-6247864/

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainme...le30641432.ece
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 22:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

Thank you for sharing your views. You possibly are mixing up apples and oranges. Shahid Bhagat Singh and others like him were freedom fighters not to be mixed up with a soldier. The Indian Army {and Navy & Air Force} that defend this sacred land of ours today are the exact same institution with a continuous unbroken existence from the days well before 1947. The Indian Army of the British days defended this country from Japanese invasion in 1940s and deterred the ever expanding Russian Empire from crossing over to our side. For example my uncle served in the Indian Army under the British on the Burma Front in WW2 and later fought defending in India 1948, 1962, 1965 and 1971. He like million other soldiers was the same person before 1947 and after. That memorial is not just to those fallen soldiers but also to the Indian Army. The Indian Army gives the same respect to those who died in WW2 or WW1 as to those who died in Kargil or 1971 etc. It thankfully does not bring politics or parochial views into the picture. Thank God for that.

You are welcome to your views and we shall agree to completely disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My sister has been doing a lot of research on the role of Indian soldiers during World War 2

Last edited by V.Narayan : 31st January 2021 at 22:10.
V.Narayan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 22:40   #11
BHPian

Thanks for sharing dhanushmenon. Do memorials have war diaries at display/digitised? I wonder if the families of these brave are aware of this beautiful edifice.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Re: A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator

What an intriguing piece of history ! Thanks a ton for sharing with all of us dhanushmenon ! A martyr lives on forever, even on foreign soil.
turboNath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A war memorial to Indian Soldiers, by the British | In a faraway land near the Equator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Building a memorial is not the same as making a cemetery.

A War memorial is a structure/ edifice/ plaque that is constructed in acknowledgement of courage and valour. It is an acknowledgement that they died after a sacrifice worth marking permanently as a memory for future generations.
Thanks for the correction but I didn’t intend to mix them both at the first place.

What I meant to say is both the Memorial and the Cemetery celebrates the martyrs and it is wonderful and humbling to know the respect shown to the fallen soldiers. A soldier giving his life for any country or force commands my full respect, even if the soldier is of an enemy country.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 22:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Wow. That's quite an impressive work by your sister ajmat. Please convey our heartfelt thanks to her, for her efforts in bringing to fore the valiant deeds by these bravehearts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
Thanks for sharing dhanushmenon. Do memorials have war diaries at display/digitised? I wonder if the families of these brave are aware of this beautiful edifice.
This particular memorial did not have any diaries. Digitised or otherwise.
I also doubt if the families of these soldiers are even aware of the existence of this memorial in their honour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
What an intriguing piece of history ! Thanks a ton for sharing with all of us dhanushmenon ! A martyr lives on forever, even on foreign soil.
Thank you for your kind words turboNath. It was an honour to have had the opportunity to pen this article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
What I meant to say is both the Memorial and the Cemetery celebrates the martyrs and it is wonderful and humbling to know the respect shown to the fallen soldiers. A soldier giving his life for any country or force commands my full respect, even if the soldier is of an enemy country.
Rightly said Abhi. A soldier is always respected. Even if of the enemy force, he is fighting for his what he has been indoctrinated to be right; and believes in it so much that he is willing to pledge his life for it.
dhanushmenon is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks