Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 21:50   #16
BHPian

Re: What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Amazing photographs Sandy. Thank you so much for sharing. I always wanted to drive to Ladakh - but so far it has been elusive. It is the relatively wasteful coverage of some 5000 km in the total 7500 km to Ladakh from Madras. It is a major disadvantage for people like us from South India.
You didn't say much about your ride. Please do share the details.
Thanks Prowler. I agree, the additional 5000 km does look like a disadvantage. But that’s something we cant do anything about. However, I think it also has its own charm if you are game to driving those additional kms. The different regions you get to cover and experience life up close is a very interesting experience. During this trip, we travelled thru some of the western-most interiors of Rajasthan; caught glimpses of rural India in its various hews (while urban life is almost identical everywhere, rural life has its own identity in different regions), visited additional places such as Ajmer, Amritsar, Agra; relished local delicacies at most places. This also helps kids get a good perspective of the diversity of our country. My 7 yr old daughter even today gets excited when she hears the name of a place we crossed. But yes, a bigger challenge of the additional km is that you cant always get so much leave from work
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Thanks Sandy for penning down your experience, along with those drool worthy landscape shots . However, i wish it could go on for a couple of more pages, it almost ended abruptly. I was always apprehensive of taking family (read wife and daughter) on a long drive into the ghats. Please also share about how the Verna held on through out the trip? any underbody hits/scrapes. And your tips on driving over the rough/no roads.
Thanks spr1ngleo. Glad you liked the writeup and the pics. I have often been asked how I manage with family on my long trips. The fact is that in all my drives, my family is my steadfast companion. Ofcourse, you need to be a bit more cautious especially with food and water and stay but with some planning, this is manageable. One challenge is on how to keep kids engaged when on the road for extended hours. What I do is to play games that we all can play eg antakshari/ scrabble of words, songs, country names etc. Me and son read up on places we will be going and then we talk about it. He is now my official trip log recorder and he enjoys keeping notes . Ofcourse much as I would liked to avod it, I do need to give them some time with their electronic gadgets though.

As for the Verna, it performed excellently thru the entire trip. I didn’t face any issue, not even a puncture. Underbody scrapes is something you cant avoid but none that were dangerous. Ofcourse, I was conscious of the limitations of driving a low GC sedan and so I did not get overtly adventurous. This is also one of my learnings listed above. Eg I did not go to areas like Hanle and Turtuk which I have left for my next trip.
Sandy28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:06   #18
BHPian

What pictures Sandy28. Exceptional, I must say. Got me thinking are you a full time photographer? Lovely pictures and narration. "Ladakh - The land of the passes" very righty mentioned. Thank you for taking us through your journey
SatyRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 01:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

A Ladakh trip in a sedan !

Like many others, this is always a trip that I wanted to go. But somehow time or the situations were never in my favor. Like you said, one has to plan properly and not hurry due to the different terrain and nature of the route. Proper pre planning is also required.

Kindly share how the sedan experience was on this journey. We have definitely seen smaller hatches and vehicles do this trip, but never seen sedans that much.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post

Like many others, this is always a trip that I wanted to go. But somehow time or the situations were never in my favor. Like you said, one has to plan properly and not hurry due to the different terrain and nature of the route. Proper pre planning is also required.

Kindly share how the sedan experience was on this journey. We have definitely seen smaller hatches and vehicles do this trip, but never seen sedans that much.
Thanks Trackday. I can very well understand your problem. I too had to be very very patient to make this trip happen.

As for the vehicle, driving to Ladakh is definitely doable in a sedan. Yes ofcourse you need to be careful and cognizant of the limitations of a sedan vs an SUV. I had no issues with my Verna. There were underbelly scrapes and few hits as well but you cant completely avoid that in that terrain. As long as it is not anything fatal, it is fine. My machine did a great job crossing Zozilla, Khardungla and Changla...esp Changla because we got lot of snow on that stretch. There were too many traffic blocks and slow moving sections on the Jammu to Kashmir stretch but Banglaore had well trained me for that

Also i was quite surprised at the quality of roads in many parts. Except on the passes, it was pretty decent given the general impression that one has about roads in Ladakh. Hats off to BRO and their efforts in such hostile terrain.
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
As for the vehicle, driving to Ladakh is definitely doable in a sedan. Yes ofcourse you need to be careful and cognizant of the limitations of a sedan vs an SUV. I had no issues with my Verna. There were underbelly scrapes and few hits as well but you cant completely avoid that in that terrain. As long as it is not anything fatal, it is fine.
Trip to Ladakh is possible in hatchback or sedan, provided we are mindful of the low GC and challenges it would pose. . I have done Ladakh trip in a 10.5 year old Swift Vxi as well as 2 year old Scorpio, so can vouch for the challenges of low GC.
manchandap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 23:44   #22

Ladakh has a special place in my heart! Been there during my days at NIT Srinagar. Been there on a bicycle and on bike.. waiting to get a chance to drive there!
Attached Thumbnails
What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-500059200209_207968.jpg  

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-500041200666_410594.jpg  

joelstephen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 06:11   #23
BHPian

First of all, I loved the heading. Ladakh - its naturescapes, its people, the solemness of the monasteries, the environment can really be humbling. It puts you on a path of quietness and soul-searching and you never really quite come back from it. I know not of a person who has been to Ladakh and does not have this silly fancy to escape there permanently.

Lovely photos and account of the trip. Took me back!
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 23:00   #24
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am planning to embark on a week long pleasure trip during April with family, when daughter's school vacation starts.the plan is to visit kasauli, HP to rekindle my childhood memories. I very much wanted to drive all the way from pune by my ecosport. However, me being the sole driver and the considerable distance involving the round trip are giving me second thoughts.

Planning to fly, a round trip from pune to New Delhi (and back). Hire a zoom car - delivered to airport, and I will drop at the airport at the time of our return journey.
Route:
Day 1: Delhi =>chandigarh
Day 2: chandigarh => kasauli
Day 3: kasauli =>amritsar
Day 4: amritsar=>Delhi
Day 5 and day 6 spend at Delhi, shopping etc.
Day 7: fly back.

We are a family of three, including a 8yr old. My specific questions are as follows :

Mid April weather is enjoyable in kasauli /shimla?
Any recommendations about the lodging at those places listed above?
Car rental to choose from - mychoize, revcar, zoom, any preference?
Any general comments / suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks